Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

TheReligion

Abusive
Liverpool police are happy for Liverpool to play at Anfield apparently.

Their usual policy of letting their fans do more or less whatever they like outside the ground won't need changing presumably.

Incredibly convenient too in the first place, how they found Utd and City games that needed moving.

Support it, enjoy it, give Liverpool the Title* but does anyone want to say this isn't a farce?
Does it matter? LFC were quite happy to host Athletico with a full house because it suited them and almost certainly contributed in making the North West a Coronavirus hotspot.

Does it even matter that much without the crowd? Hasn't the away team won most games so far in the Bundesliga after reopening?
It's just further evidence that the rest of this season has zero credibility left. Yes they are trying to make the best of a bad situation but it's pretty obvious there's a huge breach in fairness which makes the whole thing a bit of a sham for me.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Does it matter? LFC were quite happy to host Athletico with a full house because it suited them and almost certainly contributed in making the North West a Coronavirus hotspot.
Joe Anderson Liverpool mayor - "I said at the time that the fact that the Madrid fans were unable to attend matches in their home city but could travel to a game in Liverpool was absurd, but the government and Uefa decided the game should go ahead."

TheReligion

Abusive
Joe Anderson Liverpool mayor - "I said at the time that the fact that the Madrid fans were unable to attend matches in their home city but could travel to a game in Liverpool was absurd, but the government and Uefa decided the game should go ahead."
What the feck does Joe know about it? Doesn't sound like Liverpool FC protested too much and were quite happy to host it..

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
What the feck does Joe know about it? Doesn't sound like Liverpool FC protested too much and were quite happy to host it..
I think he knows much more than you and me. Pointing the finger at the club for this is taking tribal allegiance too far.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think he knows much more than you and me. Pointing the finger at the club for this is taking tribal allegiance too far.
Do you really think Liverpool were forced to play it with fans and they couldn't have said no like many other European teams did that round? Give me a break.

stevoc

Who decided that it didn't need to be behind closed doors, the Police?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Do you really think Liverpool were forced to play it with fans and they couldn't have said no like many other European teams did that round? Give me a break.
Do you think Utd were forced to play the Manchester derby with 20K more fans, some of whom travelled from Europe and possibly Asia?

You know that the responsibility for this lies firmly at the feet of the govt and UEFA but its a chance for a cheap shot.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not one team said no themselves, not a one. They were all forced to due to restrictions by their governments. Which, again, the UK failed to do at the time.

Give me a break.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This is just daft. Wasn't there a Manchester derby two days prior? There was a full weekend of PL football going ahead as normal, full stadiums etc coming up afterwards until Arteta tested positive. No club was going to play behind closed doors because up to that point there was no mandate for it in England.

Liverpool as a club hasn't done everything right during this crisis and has deservedly received criticism, but the Atletico game falls firmly on the shoulders of the government. They allowed those Madrid fans to enter the country at a time when the outbreak was exploding in Madrid. They were shrugging their shoulders and not taking this seriously at a time when they should've been doing more to prevent an outbreak. They allowed Cheltenham to go ahead, or is that Liverpool's fault as well?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You're 100% right and they * '' Liverpool ( * nobody really cares, there was a global pandemic )'' certainly could have said NO.

C'est Moi Cantona

Honestly I can't wait, Pogba and Fernandes together, Rashford back, and us well within sniffing distance of top 4, plus the chance to switch West Ham for either of Villa and Bournemouth for relegation, also I really want Leeds to come up this year, a true rivalry reignited.

People can hark on about Liverpool all they want, but even if we hadn't restarted they'd have still got the title, this way we can get CL, we can see Liverpool win it on a neutral ground, with no open top bus celebration that'll really grate, and to win it finally in the the season that'll be forever remembered for anything other than who was actually the champions.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do you think Utd were forced to play the Manchester derby with 20K more fans, some of whom travelled from Europe and possibly Asia?

You know that the responsibility for this lies firmly at the feet of the govt and UEFA but its a chance for a cheap shot.
Not one team said no themselves, not a one. They were all forced to due to restrictions by their governments. Which, again, the UK failed to do at the time.

Give me a break.
This is just daft. Wasn't there a Manchester derby two days prior? There was a full weekend of PL football going ahead as normal, full stadiums etc coming up afterwards until Arteta tested positive. No club was going to play behind closed doors because up to that point there was no mandate for it in England.

Liverpool as a club hasn't done everything right during this crisis and has deservedly received criticism, but the Atletico game falls firmly on the shoulders of the government. They allowed those Madrid fans to enter the country at a time when the outbreak was exploding in Madrid. They were shrugging their shoulders and not taking this seriously at a time when they should've been doing more to prevent an outbreak. They allowed Cheltenham to go ahead, or is that Liverpool's fault as well?
Calm down, calm down!

I guess I have been a bit of a bugger with you lot lately. I'll leave you be.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Calm down, calm down!

I guess I have been a bit of a bugger with you lot lately. I'll leave you be.
Nah you're all right. I enjoy a bit of friendly back & forth with you now and then. You're always willing to engage in a debate.

stevoc

The ban on large gatherings hadn't come into force at this time.
I'm aware that was a genuine question. I think that Police hold that power and could have decided that the game should be played behind closed doors. But i'm wondering if a few of the parties involved, Liverpool/Atletico, Liverpool City council etc couldn't have seen what way the wind was blowing at that time in Europe with regards the virus and maybe thrown the idea out there that the game might be better BCD.

I'm not having a go at Liverpool or Atletico by the way, United played City a few days before. Around that time though despite northern Italy having been locked down because of the virus lots of people were still carrying on like nothing was happening and it would never affect them.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nah you're all right. I enjoy a bit of friendly back & forth with you now and then. You're always willing to engage in a debate.
In small doses then? :lol:

Likewise you have quite a balanced view on things. Hopefully Niall doesn't fire you into the sun with the others.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I'm aware that was a genuine question. I think that Police hold that power and could have decided that the game should be played behind closed doors. But i'm wondering if a few of the parties involved, Liverpool/Atletico, Liverpool City council etc couldn't have seen what way the wind was blowing at that time in Europe with regards the virus and maybe thrown the idea out there that the game might be better BCD.

I'm not having a go at Liverpool or Atletico by the way, United played City a few days before. Around that time though despite northern Italy having been locked down because of the virus lots of people were still carrying on like nothing was happening and it would never affect them.
I'm not sure the police could have done much in this case as it was/is a public health issue. For example Merseyside Police have recently said that they have no issue with Everton and Liverpool playing their remaining games at home including the derby - but that was from a crime and disorder perspective not from a public health perspective.

The city's public health director Matt Ashton along with the Uni of Liverpool and John Moores Uni is going to conduct an inquiry into the Atletico game regarding its impact on covid19 in the North West. No timetable for that inquiry as yet.

Regarding the match a govt spokesperson said “It is our absolute priority to protect people’s health and our advice on coronavirus is the result of direct, continuous consultation with medical experts. This match took place within clear Public Health England guidance at the time.”

It's going to be interesting watching the govt try to pass the buck as much as possible once C19 is under control and a full inquiry into the UK's response can take place. The list of errors grows daily. Recently some of the scientific experts have broken rank and spoke out that they think lockdown restrictions are being eased too early.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
So when does next season start? How long is the break?

If next season is to be played normally and the Euros going on, surely next season will start soon after this season ends?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
So when does next season start? How long is the break?

If next season is to be played normally and the Euros going on, surely next season will start soon after this season ends?
Nothing has been officially confirmed yet, but September has been mentioned as the start date for the new season.

The resumption of the Europa League and Champions League has been mentioned as restarting in August, so could mean almost no break at all for clubs that go deep in to the European competitions.

stevoc

I'm not sure the police could have done much in this case as it was/is a public health issue. For example Merseyside Police have recently said that they have no issue with Everton and Liverpool playing their remaining games at home including the derby - but that was from a crime and disorder perspective not from a public health perspective.

The city's public health director Matt Ashton along with the Uni of Liverpool and John Moores Uni is going to conduct an inquiry into the Atletico game regarding its impact on covid19 in the North West. No timetable for that inquiry as yet.

Regarding the match a govt spokesperson said “It is our absolute priority to protect people’s health and our advice on coronavirus is the result of direct, continuous consultation with medical experts. This match took place within clear Public Health England guidance at the time.”

It's going to be interesting watching the govt try to pass the buck as much as possible once C19 is under control and a full inquiry into the UK's response can take place. The list of errors grows daily. Recently some of the scientific experts have broken rank and spoke out that they think lockdown restrictions are being eased too early.
I'd agree with them on that count but people had been ignoring the advice for weeks anyway so they might as well made it official and just let people do whatever the feck they want. They've obviously been doing it themselves.

The sheer incompetency on display at the highest levels of the UK government over the last few years since Brexit has been shocking.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Is there a confirmed schedule of when the EPL games are? I was looking on livescore but they aren't showing what EPL games are played in June 20th weekend.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is there a confirmed schedule of when the EPL games are? I was looking on livescore but they aren't showing what EPL games are played in June 20th weekend.
You can find the remaining fixtures per gameweek here but they aren't showing dates beyond the weekend of June 20th. I dunno, maybe they're still working out which gameweeks will take place mid-week for example, haven't really seen official dates communicated beyond the first weekend.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
You can find the remaining fixtures per gameweek here but they aren't showing dates beyond the weekend of June 20th. I dunno, maybe they're still working out which gameweeks will take place mid-week for example, haven't really seen official dates communicated beyond the first weekend.
Thanks!

Pagh Wraith

Just to update the other big leagues as well. Serie A restarts on June 20. La Liga on June 11 and there will be games on 32 (!) consecutive days in Spain.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
From what I've heard transfer window would be from beginning of Septemeber to beginning of October (about 1 month).

romufc