Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

UncleBob

You may well be right mate.

Although I do get a sense of desperation in here for the PL to just null and void the season. Can't imagine why like :lol:
It's been fun enough watching the reaction from the Liverpool supporters, slowly starting to grasp that it might actually be null and voided, but it's also getting to a point where this is turning into a bit of a disaster. I don't think people fully understand how quickly this is going to happen, from no restrictions to full scale disaster mode.

The consequences of a null and void would be shit for everyone, including us, any hopes of a champions league spot next season would be gone, which could have a large effect on our ability to hold on to certain players and sign certain players

lysglimt

Scout
Totally disagree. You can’t end the season and just say ok how it stands now is how it finishes. There’s teams still fighting for positions, it would be massively unfair on them to not have the chance to redeem maybe their bad form.

The only way is to suspend the league untill it can be continued (which doesn’t sound feasible) and then cancel the league and start again
Cancel the league is simply wrong. If we were in round 15 I would agree with you - but we are in round 29 of 38. Liverpool will win the league, Leicester and City will end 2nd and 3rd.

3 out of these 6 teams will go down - Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Villa, Norwich and West Ham. To cancel it all out would be a lot more unjust than to undo 29 rounds of hard work. As for them having a chance to redeem their bad form - you could also say they had 29 rounds to avoid being where they are.

Worst case scenario - let these 6 teams play a play-off

Brighton starts with +5 points, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth +3, Villa +2 and Norwich starts with 0 (and all teams start with 0-0 GD)

They play behind closed doors and all teams play each other

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Cancel the league is simply wrong. If we were in round 15 I would agree with you - but we are in round 29 of 38. Liverpool will win the league, Leicester and City will end 2nd and 3rd.

3 out of these 6 teams will go down - Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Villa, Norwich and West Ham. To cancel it all out would be a lot more unjust than to undo 29 rounds of hard work. As for them having a chance to redeem their bad form - you could also say they had 29 rounds to avoid being where they are.

Brighton starts with +5 points, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth +3, Villa +2 and Norwich starts with 0 (and all teams start with 0-0 GD)

They're not going to cancel the season then announce they're carrying on the season with play-offs.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
My CEO has the virus and we're still not being told to work from home... :houllier:
Never understimate the stupidity of your CEO.
Similar here, we reacted quite fast in Italy and did send all employees home rather early. But since then, no further action.
Meanwhile first federal states in Germany have suspended school for 5 weeks.

lysglimt

Scout

Might’ve already been posted but this is a great solution for the Premier League, IMO:

• league is cancelled
• no champion declared
• no relegations
• promote the usual three teams from the Championship
• play with 23 teams for one season
• six teams relegated next year

Who, apart from Liverpool, would have a problem with that? If European spots cause consternation, just run off a quick play-off to determine places.
Seriously - Liverpool must be declared champions. As much as I hate them - they are the champions and deserve to win.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Things like this still aren't grasping the bigger picture though.

Who gives a feck about football? What does it actually matter if this season is cancelled? People's lives are far more important. You play behind closed doors and you're still putting players, club staff, media etc at risk. What is the point?

Void it all until the virus is gone and then take time to look at how you bring it back in.

I don't give a shit if they give liverpool the title. It doesn't matter. At all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

A league is a league though.
Remember when people reacted with fury at the idea of that 39th game? That's because the whole point of a league is that need everyone to have played everyone else home and away.

Dishing out standings without completing the league isn't really on.
However, health and life are way more important than footballl!

SirAF

Ageist
No - I believe in a bit of justice. If Liverpool were 5 points ahead of City I would agree - but they have won it fair and square . to say otherwise is just plain stupid
No. See other poster’s replies to you.

UncleBob

There's a fixture list... We're 8 points behind Leicester, we still have to play them, and they have to play Everton, Arsenal (also in with a shout, 8 points behind Chelsea), Spurs (7 points behind Chelsea). So clubs get punished/rewarded based on the set of fixtures they've had, can't work that way...

Chelsea are 3 points clear, but they have to play City, Liverpool and Wolves...

SirAnderson

No - I believe in a bit of justice. If Liverpool were 5 points ahead of City I would agree - but they have won it fair and square . to say otherwise is just plain stupid
No they haven't. To say that is plain stupid.
Sure they do deserve it, but they haven't finished the job yet, no matter the reason why.

What can be said is that they are well and truly clear and are ALMOST mathematically winners, but still, not quite. Giving it to them on the basis of a" bit of justice" would be contrary to the word justice. Giving it to them out of a little MERCY, sure.
Then again, to hell with mercy.

SirAF

Ageist
No they haven't. To say that is plain stupid.
Sure they do deserve it, but they haven't finished the job yet, no matter the reason why.

What can be said is that they are well and truly clear and are ALMOST mathematically winners, but still, not quite. Giving it to them on the basis of a" bit of justice" would be contrary to the word justice. Giving it to them out of a little MERCY, sure.
Then again, to hell with mercy.
This, absolutely.

Green Arrow

They won't suspend the league they need to make money from it that's all they care about. After the meeting they should just null and void it, health and safety is paramount to football.

UncleBob

Bundesliga 1 and 2 to be suspended until April 2nd but this weekends games are going ahead.
Can't see that happening in England

Arsenal are out
Chelsea are out
Everton are out
There should be concerns about Manchester Uniteds players after the EL trip.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Just how??? A manager and players are being confirmed to have it?? Like how does that not register?
It's moved beyond the idea that it's the crowd that is the issue.
Now players and managers have it, you need to clamp down completely.

This and this! And these players and managers have families, kids, old parents....

SirAF

Ageist

Arsenal are out
Chelsea are out
Everton are out
Yeah, agreed. Austria is a hotspot right now, and I found it incredible that United actually went there to be honest.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
A league is a league though.
Remember when people reacted with fury at the idea of that 39th game? That's because the whole point of a league is that need everyone to have played everyone else home and away.

Dishing out standings without completing the league isn't really on.
However, health and life are way more important than footballl!
I agree with this.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Can't see that happening in England

Arsenal are out
Chelsea are out
Everton are out
Reckon City will announce today as well, one of the first team is isolating because of a relative with a confirmed case.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reckon City will announce today as well, one of the first team is isolating because of a relative with a confirmed case.
They will postpone the whole schedule without a doubt.

The rumour is that it'll be 3 weeks minimum across the english football leagues.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The PL and other domestic leagues around Europe will likely return next year but I can see European club based competitions terminated for atleast a year.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Everyone needs to get rid of this idea it will be gone in a few months, its going to constantly be there and will become another travlling virus which until enough of the population has built resistance and a vaccine made is going to be life threatening.

Also need to stop claiming China and South Korea have dealt with it. All they've done is postpone it. It will be back.

Last edited: