Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I am sorry but they can't cancel the season. If they decide - we will stop the League here and now and this is how the season ends, it wont be 100% fair - but it will be a lot more fair than cancelling it all.

1) As much as I hate to admit it - Liverpool deserve to win the League. I still remember how I felt that night in 1992 when United lost (to Forest I think) - and I had to accept that once again we weren't gonna win the League. I can only imagine how a Liverpool-fan would feel knowing that they won the League but the League was cancelled. And same goes for Leeds-fans - they deserve their promotion even if I hate Leeds.

2) Leicester deserve to play in the C.L next year after their brilliant season.

3) Spurs don't deserve another crack at the C.L after their horrible season

4) Sheffield United after their superb season deserve to get something to show from it and play in the Europa League next season.

But that is one thing - anothing thing are out players who have contributed this season. Mason Greenwood doesn't deserve to have his 13 first goals in football erased. Brandon Williams doesn't deserve to have his goal and League debut erased. Ighalo doesn't deserve to have a stat showing 0 games and 0 goals for United. Or how about Rashfords 19 goals. He doesn't deserve to see them erased.

And there are players who made their debut for their club, but maybe never will play for their club again. They dont deserve to have that record taken away from them.

So even if it favours Chelsea over us - don't cancel this season. Stop the season when it has to be stopped - and if it cant be finished, let that Count.
Totally disagree. You can’t end the season and just say ok how it stands now is how it finishes. There’s teams still fighting for positions, it would be massively unfair on them to not have the chance to redeem maybe their bad form.

The only way is to suspend the league untill it can be continued (which doesn’t sound feasible) and then cancel the league and start again

Withnail

Technically there isn't, its just semantics used to ease the blow. For example, Serie A went and Suspended it indefinitely. Other leagues like La Liga, postpone theirs for at least 2 weeks. Anyone can guess that it will become indefinitely suspended/postponed. So, in short, no difference really.
Oh sorry I get you. Indefinitely vs review in a couple of weeks. Yeah I think postponement is most like outcome today.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
It's not ideal, but I don't think that's a big enough reason to just cancel the whole thing.
The moment any team feels they have been unfairly impaired then the legal challenges will start and the whole thing will become a mess.

The only way that everyone gets treated equally is to “reset” everything so that the competition maintains its equality.

Only one group of people are going to do well out of this entire situation, the lawyers.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think the meeting today will decide its suspended and they'll review the situation at the end of March.

It's unlikely to come back anything soon.

It's hard to know what the fairest thing to do is but cancelling the season, I think, is highly unlikely.

I think it's only the relegation teams who'll push for cancellation.

Even if they opt for play offs to decide spots when it does come back that's hardly fair either given how the respective pts gaps for Leicester and Liverpool.

I think all of that will be kicked down the line and we weren't get a decision on how to conclude the season til we're out of the woods.
Yeah I think for now they suspend for 3 weeks or so similar to Italy/Spain and others and review the situation day by day. If the Euros is pushed back it frees up some of the summer to resume the season if we have the pandemic under control by then, but the odds of that are minimal as the UK peak isn't expected to hit until June anyway, so what options are left then? No easy answers at this stage and its inevitable some clubs are going feel hard done by but ultimately we have the worst health crisis in over a century on our hands so they'll just have to deal with it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah I think for now they suspend for 3 weeks or so similar to Italy/Spain and others and review the situation day by day. If the Euros is pushed back it frees up some of the summer to resume the season if we have the pandemic under control by then, but the odds of that are minimal as the UK peak isn't expected to hit until June anyway, so what options are left then? No easy answers at this stage and its inevitable some clubs are going feel hard done by but ultimately we have the worst health crisis in over a century on our hands so they'll just have to deal with it.
Also, if it does get delayed to be resumed in the summer, some players will be out of contract so teams will be playing with different teams to what they started the season. That can’t happen.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The moment any team feels they have been unfairly impaired then the legal challenges will start and the whole thing will become a mess.

The only way that everyone gets treated equally is to “reset” everything so that the competition maintains its equality.

Only one group of people are going to do well out of this entire situation, the lawyers.
Unless they just said no football until the New Year and then resume this one and cancel next season instead. People assume if this one is cancelled we just start again in August but with the way things are going that may not even be an option.

Snafu17

The pandemic doesn't have to completely die to down to complete the league, just enough so that they can play the rest of it out behind closed doors. Failing that there should probably be some sort of play off system. It wouldn't be exactly fair but it would better than just voiding it all together.

koop

So CHO and Arteta test positive already, surely anyone whose been in contact with them recently will also be going in to isolation. Including teams they played against last weekend and all the officials?

How can they possibly play games this weekend, would be insane?
Yep by default all of Chelsea+Staff and Arsenal+Staff would go into self isolation.
PL needs to be 100% suspended, it would be fecking ridiculous and very detrimental if they didn't.

Also, if it does get delayed to be resumed in the summer, some players will be out of contract so teams will be playing with different teams to what they started the season. That can’t happen.
If for example we suspended all competitions now and started up again i June, ending early August; then I'd imagine the transfer window would be shifted to open after the season.

Players who's contracts are up in June should be automatically extended on the same contract terms for 2 months.

TRUERED89

Biggest problem is this virus may cause not only death but damage the infected's lungs as well. Most of the patients who had recovered are now with damaged lungs, sometime very seriously. In such case they won't be able to do heavy works anymore.

For the footballers or any athlete that basically means the end of their career. If I was them no way I'd accept to play or even train once there's a positive case within the squad.
Can you post the source that claims permanent lung damage ? Think whoever said that is BS’ing you.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC

What about Premier League prize money? There is a £2m bonus for every league position so that alone will trigger the legal challenges, look at what that means for a club like Sheff Utd. The only way to avoid the legal challenges IS to finish the season at some point.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think the Euros will go, play next season and the season will be finished during the summer. As @Shipperley said the legal ramifications could plunge football into crisis if the season isn't finished.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Might’ve already been posted but this is a great solution for the Premier League, IMO:

• league is cancelled
• no champion declared
• no relegations
• promote the usual three teams from the Championship
• play with 23 teams for one season
• six teams relegated next year

Who, apart from Liverpool, would have a problem with that? If European spots cause consternation, just run off a quick play-off to determine places.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'd say it has to be suspended now, whether that is a short term couple of month thing, or a permanent write off will depend on how quickly things calm back down. Though I doubt this is going to go away for a while.

The tricky part will be how you set up next season. Easiest way I guess would be to just void the year and start with everyone in the exact same place as they started this year. Sadly that would mean us being out of the champions league again next year, particularly as with our current momentum I could see us sneaking 4th.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
If for example we suspended all competitions now and started up again i June, ending early August; then I'd imagine the transfer window would be shifted to open after the season.

Players who's contracts are up in June should be automatically extended on the same contract terms for 2 months.
Legal nightmare.

Voiding the season is the only way, tough but the only clean legal way out of the mess.

Anyone who thinks this will be over in 4 weeks are kidding themselves.

UncleBob

Whatever the PL decide to do, some teams are going to be fecked over.

But what else can be done? It's a global pandemic.
null and voiding it fecks everyone while leaving it as it is will be a lottery that rewards some for being fortunate with the fixture list up until now. Leicester and Chelsea for instance, both have a tough fixture list remaining and can easily drop the points required for someone else to take their spot

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don't think it'd be a big legal challenge at all, and if the transfer window was shifted, what the feck are the players gonna do? Get no money for 2-3 months instead and be hated/disgusted by everyone for putting themselves first during times like this?
A contract is a legal document. You can't just extend it for 2 months.

Djemba-Djemba

null and voiding it fecks everyone while leaving it as it is will be a lottery that rewards some for being fortunate with the fixture list up until now. Leicester and Chelsea for instance, both have a tough fixture list remaining and can easily drop the points required for someone else to take their spot
There's no obvious solution is there.

It's fecking mental what's happening.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
So :

players in every country are testing positive or self-quarantining for Corona Virus;
in England this morning we learn about Arteta, Hudson-Odoi, Mendy etc etc;
France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc etc suspend their leagues;

and the English FA still insisting that the PL goes on 'behind closed doors' - we saw how nice that is yesterday playing in an empty stadium!

But the English FA want the poor scousers (waiting for 30 years) to be given the League, then and only then will they take the decisions like other FA's!

So :

players in every country are testing positive or self-quarantining for Corona Virus;

and the English FA still insisting that the PL goes on 'behind closed doors' - we saw how nice that is yesterday playing in an empty stadium!
Are they? All the reports coming out so far look like the league is about to be suspended.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Sounds a good plan but it would never work.
I can’t see the buying club letting their player play in another league when they want them for their own preseason

SirAnderson

Might’ve already been posted but this is a great solution for the Premier League, IMO:

• league is cancelled
• no champion declared
• no relegations
• promote the usual three teams from the Championship
• play with 23 teams for one season
• six teams relegated next year

Who, apart from Liverpool, would have a problem with that? If European spots cause consternation, just run off a quick play-off to determine places.
Oh PLEASE let this HAPPEN!!!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So :

But the English FA want the poor scousers (waiting for 30 years) to be given the League, then and only then will they take the decisions like other FA's!
Surely can’t even ply behind closed doors when teams and managers are quarantined, that would be bizzare watching arsenal play in an empty stadium with no manager just so LIVERPOOL can win the league

Tel074

For you people living in mainland UK I'd ignore what Boris has told you . Keep the kids at home and if you can work from home . This thing is only starting football is going to be totally irrelevant very soon . Stay safe people

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Are they? All the reports coming out so far look like the league is about to be suspended.
They have a meeting this morning to decide but i read that they are still insisting to play behind closed doors.
That is also unfair for the 'home' teams playing without their 'home' crowd.

Guy Incognito

Think the Euros will go, play next season and the season will be finished during the summer. As @Shipperley said the legal ramifications could plunge football into crisis if the season isn't finished.
I go along with this. If this happened in November or December, then perhaps there is reason for 'null and void'. Yet, with 2/3rds of the season complete, there is no chance the relegation battle/promotion will be scrapped, nevermind Liverpool winning the title.

Pav1878

They have a meeting this morning to decide but i read that they are still insisting to play behind closed doors.
That is also unfair for the 'home' teams playing without their 'home' crowd.
And unfair on the players and coaching staff as they will still be mixing with people who potentially have the virus but have not shown symptoms yet