Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

SirAnderson

I think the biggest disaster for Liverpool is the potential that not only is this season rendered all but null and void, what should be their golden years with the likes of Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Firmino, Allison all in their absolute prime could well be in serious jeopardy with an extended break from the EPL next season too.

You just hate to see it.
So sad. It's one thing Lionel Messi golden era coming to end, but this! Not this!!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Almost certain even more teams and players effected in two weeks than now. So I doubt they'll be able to continue the season within any kind of reasonable time frame.

What was ridiculous about this was last night, PL posts on twitter games going ahead, 10 minutes later Arsenal post about Arteta :houllier:. Shambles. Suspending the right thing to do, would have been insanely irresponsible to have people travelling all over for football this weekend.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wow a resonable post. I would envisage that to be the only way forwards. However, depends how long this virus is in the air, how long it will last.
Going by the peak estimations etc. They can have the football kick off again 1-2 months after the peak.

Rooney24

Here is an idea

Why can't stop the season for a couple months, finish that and Euros in say July and August.. And then start the new season in 2021 ready for it to end just a couple weeks before Qatar WC in November 2022?
And how do you get back on track after the 2022 WC? Just Keep starting the new Season in January?

Untied

Here is an idea

Why can't stop the season for a couple months, finish that and Euros in say July and August.. And then start the new season in 2021 ready for it to end just a couple weeks before Qatar WC in November 2022?
If the number of infections now is worthy of suspending the season (I'm not saying it isn't) there won't be a 2020-21 season either. I think there is a lot of delusion that this is all going to be over by July/August.

arnie_ni

Sir Bobby and Sir Alex don't have to attend the game in person.

Yesterday I was thinking shut it all down but from reading this morning I am not sure......

I am no expert but from reading this morning it looks like Coronavirus like other flu type viruses will be with us now year on year.

Problem now is it spreads like wild fire but once we have herd immunity it will become much like other annual flu variations

In theory, herd immunity means not everyone in a community needs to be immune to prevent spread of disease. If a high enough proportion of individuals in a population are immune, the majority will protect the few susceptible people because the pathogen is less likely to find a susceptible person.

It seems about 60% of the population need to have caught it in order to get herd immunity.

If we don't get 60% of people catching it this year then the same situation we have now will apply to the more vulnerable next year, and the next until 60% of the population have had it and are immune and it prevents spread rate.

So I guess it is a balance of wanting 60% of people to catch it and become immune but wanting most to get it during summer when NHS is better able to cope with those that are more susceptible while at the same time minimising transmission to susceptible people during this period?
Follow your post through and work out how many people will be dead if 60 percent of the uk catch it in a short period of time there mate, thanks.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The main issue is the knock-on effect.

What happens when half the team get it this week, half the team get it the week after, and the other half get it two weeks after that. I can't see the league resuming after just two weeks, unless all players and staff have been Corona'd.

I'll have another half for the road.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tottenham are the luckiest bastards alive
Don't think so, perfect time to build a new stadium: when no one can go to watch football, possibly for months and months. No income from stadium = financial dire straights incoming, since they still have to pay for it.

Seems very improbably season going to finish, so injuries etc won't matter.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And how do you get back on track after the 2022 WC? Just Keep starting the new Season in January?
Feck knows that's a lesser problem to solve later. At worst have a post season gap that makes it sync back into the normal start time over the following couple seasons.

If the number of infections now is worthy of suspending the season (I'm not saying it isn't) there won't be a 2020-21 season either. I think there is a lot of delusion that this is all going to be over by July/August.
No one is saying its going to completely go. But if its projected by scientists to peak in 10-14 weeks then they can restart the season 2 months after the peak and Euros a couple months after that.

The league can continue at end of August and they can have the euros start in October with a bit of a break (maybe 1-2 weeks) before Qatar? Assuming euros is 1 month long here.

Stacks

With all due respect that's a nonsense.
You're not champions until you have won something.

Otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent.

When do you declare someone a winner in other world issues?

29/38 games in?
20/38 games in?
1/38 game in?

What's the cut off and points margin needed?
Also they cannot be champions of a non finished season (i.e. if they call the season off) Even if Pool mathematically win, if they cancel the campaign due to lack iof time to complete all remaining fixtures, will they still receive the trophy? there are many other things to play for

pascell

They'll have a bunch of players back fit by the time this fixture gets played now
And we could have a fully fit squad including Pogba and Rashford, horses for courses.
If it goes on who finished in Top 4 last season, then crap Spurs will be in next seasons CL. Arsenal could be as well if City still banned.
That's fair enough, it wouldn't just be us missing out though.
Because they’ll have players back fit by the time this fixture is eventually played.
See my first comment, it works in favour regarding player fitness for all, including players who were originally ruled out for the season, they might not be now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Blackpool were leading the the Football League in 1939 when the league was abandoned for WW2.

It didn't count towards their tally of honours, and to this day the record books say they only won the one title in 1930.

Liverpool haven't won anything this season, and nor are they going to.

20-18 YSB
Sounds encouraging! The league has to be abandoned this season!

Nr.7

Can anyone, please explain if the season gets written off does that mean that let’s say Haaland’s CL goals are also written off and that he starts with 0 CL goals or that Greenwood’s 12 goals don’t stand?
Do the players games, goals and assists also get written off?

SirAnderson

Can anyone, please explain if the season gets written off does that mean that let’s say Haaland’s CL goals are also written off ans that he starts with 0 CL goals or that Greenwood’s 12 goals don’t stand?
No one knows for certain at the moment, its all just speculation.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Suspend the league for a bit and work out what to do in the interim. It takes time to plan changes this big, so let's hope the all the major footballing bodies give themselves that time.

Let me predict a timeline. ;)

Suspend all football internationally until June 2020, at which point the seasons of various countries will be given until December 31, 2020 to resolve their remaining fixtures. The Euros can then be held in January 2021, with the following season running from February to November 2021. Another season can then run from February 2022 to November 2022, in time for the World Cup they've forced us to hold in December 2022.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can anyone, please explain if the season gets written off does that mean that let’s say Haaland’s CL goals are also written off and that he starts with 0 CL goals or that Greenwood’s 12 goals don’t stand?
No one knows for sure, can't see why goals etc would be voided though. The games still happened.

There just won't be any winner for this season.

SER19

The league is done. April 4th has been pulled from an arse. It's going to get worse not better.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The main issue is the knock-on effect.

What happens when half the team get it this week, half the team get it the week after, and the other half get it two weeks after that. I can't see the league resuming after just two weeks, unless all players and staff have been Corona'd.

I'll have another half for the road.
Ahh Football, that famous game of three halves.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
"Tell you what, if the Corona Virus got to anfield, it'd be sat in its dressing room thinking I've never infected anything like that lot." - Michael Owen.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
EFL is from the Championship down right? That announcement doesn't apply to the PL right?