Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Jericholyte2

Whilst I know that, with the greater good, it would make sense to suspend everything, I just don’t see how they can cancel the league as is, assuming they would cancel and have the final standings be as they are:

Any team between 3rd and 7th has a reasonable claim to say they could get an EL or CL place Nd so would surely challenge any such decision - you know United would challenge this.

Any team in the relegation zones or promotion places, as well as those would challenge too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Gutted we couldn’t haven’t played Spurs, will never get a better time than now to batter them.

redshaw

Best time to play Spurs, oh well. It's the right thing to do though.

Hard to see much changing in a month but that is the standard move, we'll probably be 3000 cases and 30-40 deaths in a few weeks and many more players and staff unable to return.

SirAnderson

EFL confirm fixtures suspended until April
The EFL have confirmed the unprecedented measure after “in light of overnight developments”, ie news of the Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi testing positive for coronavirus.

Scriblerus

Given that the outbreak is expected to peak in the UK in May, I don't think we'll be back playing matches in April. If measures are necessary now, they may well be necessary well into June.
Stay goodbye to the season. They are going to have to discuss what happens to any cups and titles (not awarded would be my bet) and relegation and promotion - which will be interesting. Lawyers involved I should think. I see on the Premier League site there is reference to relegation happening when the season is completed. Anyone know if that wording is part of their Articles of Association and/or other binding agreements, because the position may be that if the season is not "completed" (as long completed is taken to mean all fixtures played), there will be no relegation or promotion. That would just leave qualification criteria for European competitions next year…..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't think they will write the season off the ramifications will be mind boggling. My local team Barrow is trying to get back in the league after over 40 years. I will be upset if that is prevented.

matt10000

The problem is we need to spread it out. If we have 60% getting it that would be at 3% mortality meaning 1,195,920 deaths. There's no way we can cope with that, hell even a 1% of that would be 398,640 more than lost during WW2, in a space of a few months . By stretching it out it gives time to develop vaccines and methods but the elderly and vulnerable will still be at risk for a long long time to come.
I agree it needs to be spread out this is why this problem will not be over this year and they are saying peak may be next winter but actually will continue to spread until we have herd immunity or a vaccine that is tested, proven and mass produced.

The 3% mortality is based on people that are known to have Coronavirus. It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

Even at 1% that is 400,00 people.

Ralph MIlne

They should cancel this season if they have to suspend premier league for months. Should Liverpool be crowned winners and the three bottom teams be relegated as it stands now? Villa got a game in hand and could climb above relegation zone with a win. Sheffield United got a game in hand and could go fifth and maybe champions league. That's not fair. Liverpool could be crowned winners only if no one gets relegated or promoted in all divisions. Would that be accepted by other teams. Probably not..

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Football is just a game and we have our rivalry but nothing is bigger than human life and family health.

djembatheking

It won’t be. The Euros will be called off the we’ll finish the premier league fixtures in the summer.
No chance , would be totally unfair . Liverpool were starting to bottle it , lost 4 of their last 5 games and looked shattered . To resume in the future would be totally unfair after being able to recharge the batteries .

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Feck knows that's a lesser problem to solve later. At worst have a post season gap that makes it sync back into the normal start time over the following couple seasons.

No one is saying its going to completely go. But if its projected by scientists to peak in 10-14 weeks then they can restart the season 2 months after the peak and Euros a couple months after that.

The league can continue at end of August and they can have the euros start in October with a bit of a break (maybe 1-2 weeks) before Qatar? Assuming euros is 1 month long here.
Something a lot of folks seem to be missing; football matches aren’t just about the fans & supporters, it’s about the entire supporting infrastructure. This isn’t something that can be casually picked up, shifted 2-3 months and then just carry on as if nothing has changed.

The core window for football, Aug to May, Is known and other events etc are planned around it, those other events will require some of the key resources that provide the infrastructure that football also needs. Even down to things like availability of Police resources to man the event; no police means no safety certificate means a match can’t be played.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I agree it needs to be spread out this is why this problem will not be over this year and they are saying peak may be next winter but actually will continue to spread until we have herd immunity.

The 3% mortality is based on people that are known to have Coronavirus. It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

Even at 1% that is 400,00 people.
which would destroy our health service. The other thing that everyone has to remember is that hospitals would be overwhelmed, that would mean no operations or treatment for people in need for any ailment. The death rate caused by the virus would include non infected people as well.

El Zoido

No chance , would be totally unfair . Liverpool were starting to bottle it , lost 4 of their last 5 games and looked shattered . To resume in the future would be totally unfair after being able to recharge the batteries .
I agree but the ramifications of cancelling it entirely are massive too.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Can anyone, please explain if the season gets written off does that mean that let’s say Haaland’s CL goals are also written off and that he starts with 0 CL goals or that Greenwood’s 12 goals don’t stand?
Do the players games, goals and assists also get written off?
When a match is abandoned, individual goals etc scored in that match still count, right? It’s just the overall outcome of the game is void, so I’d assume similar here.

TheReligion

Abusive
It won’t be. The Euros will be called off the we’ll finish the premier league fixtures in the summer.
It will be.

Not logistically possible to do what you suggest. Nor does it make sense to cancel the Euros for safety but play other competition.

El Zoido

So the Euros will be called off due to the virus but the premier League will be played?
Yes because the decision to be called off will be made well in advance. Also the tournament is taking place across Europe and will have a lot of people crossing borders and travelling. I think this will have mostly blown over by June, and the premier league can more easily arrange games at short notice, to be played behind closed doors.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Yes because the decision to be called off will be made well in advance. Also the tournament is taking place across Europe and will have a lot of people crossing borders and travelling. I think this will have mostly blown over by June, and the premier league can more easily arrange games at short notice, to be played behind closed doors.
Based on what?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Based on what?
"Blown over" sounds a little flippant but I actually think it's a good way of describing what I think will happen. People will realise they have no choice but to carry on with normal life after this initial hysteria. People will die, but there may even be a situation where a heard immunity develops.