Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Most of Europe: football canceled until further notice

Scotland: ye can take our lives BUT YOU’LL NEVER TAKE OUR FOOTBALL!!!!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
June is estimated to be the peak in Britain. We've akcnowledged defeat, decided to slowly take the hit now to save the economy and NHS. People will die, but that was inevitable.

Italy and such are delaying the inevitable, crippling their healthcare system and economy. Even if we pushed the Euro's back a few months, England's COVID-19 peak will have passed, but other places will in Europe will still be fighting it.

I honestly think that football has finished until September.
I wouldn't get too cocky about the UK, we will end up the same way as Italy and now Spain.

I do agree though this season has kicked the last ball.

stepic

The time line in China? You do realise they basically locked people in there homes and built 2 hospitals there? This wont have blown over in 2 and a half months, we could be peaking at that time, well that's the aim.

Anyway say the PL does start up again in June are we gonna play over 10 domestic league matches, cup matches and European matches in 2 months then start a new season a month later?
they could delay the start of the next season maybe? I'm hoping not but i guess that is an option.

Tarrou

seems quite unlikely they finish the season now, unless the Euros are cancelled and they play through the summer

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't see when they'll be able to finish the season, June looks like it'll be the peak, so what maybe late July? Just doesn't look realistic at all, not without massive implications for the next years campaign. Voiding the season is probably the most simple choice? None of the choices are without their complications.

matt10000

I just don't see when they'll be able to finish the season, June looks like it'll be the peak, so what maybe late July? Just doesn't look realistic at all, not without massive implications for the next years campaign. Voiding the season is probably the most simple choice? None of the choices are without their complications.
Teams have 9 or 10 games to play can't see where they will fit that in.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
They've not earned it though, they've got very very very very very close, but they've not actually won it. That's the point. You can't award trophies for teams nearly winning something.
I agree with this.
We have our rivalry with them and we enjoy the banter here but seriously they cannot be handed the title yet.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Clubs should settle the final matches on PlayStation. I imagine Lingard is actually useful at FIFA 20.

redshaw

Yeah, voiding it keeps all the schedules intact.

Maybe if things really do stabilize down around Europe in the summer they could move the Euros and let the leagues finish up instead

With the Euro Championships being staged all around the continent this time it might be best to move to next year. We'd have too many people traveling to each country to watch games.

Lee565

Damn, can they not just let us play the spurs game this weekend and then suspend the premier league ;)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah that is probably it. Just because I think a team that lead the table by 25 Points with 9 matches to play deserve to win the League - I must support them.
I'm with you on this.

To be deprived of that which you have relentlessly craved for 30 long years is an absolute tragedy. My heart bleeds for our scouse brothers and sisters. Woe is them.

Siorac

I wouldn't get too cocky about the UK, we will end up the same way as Italy and now Spain.

I do agree though this season has kicked the last ball.
Yeah, this idea that the UK will save the NHS by... I don't know, letting people get infected is a bit weird.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Well much as I like to see this season null and void, for the sake of other teams chasing promotion in the lower leagues we should play it out completely if it is possible. It will be a hell of a fixture crunch though.

Looking at 3/4 games a week including cup and European ties. Can the players cope?
It's not coming back in April.

lysglimt

Scout
It’s more the vigour. Most united fans are laughing their heads off
I dont care - I hate Liverpool - I grew up in the 80s with all my friends supporting Liverpool. But there has to be some justice in it all.....

If this decision had been made 2 days later - Liverpool probably would have won. Imagine how you would have felt if this was United ?

SirAF

Ageist
I dont care - I hate Liverpool - I grew up in the 80s with all my friends supporting Liverpool. But there has to be some justice in it all.....

If this decision had been made 2 days later - Liverpool probably would have won. Imagine how you would have felt if this was United ?
Nah. You can’t give the title to someone unless they are MATHEMATICALLY in the clear. You can’t argue with numbers - that’s the beauty of it.

Judas

Open to offers

Justice for who? What about every other position. The ones at the bottom of the table deserve justice way more than Liverpool do at the top. Yet you're just going on about Liverpool, very bizarre.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Meh. Hypothetical bs. Imagine how the scousers will feel? Gutted I bet. And that’s sweet music to my ears

matt10000

Doesn't matter as @Judas has said you can't award a trophy for nearly winning something.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
It’s a pandemic. Thing that takes priority over the health of the whole world.

This is just sport. Chill
Undoubtedly but that's totally irrelevant to whichever decision leagues make going forward.

Unitedlife

It wouldn't matter if they had already won it. Season would be void unless all the relegation positions are played out and confirmed.

buchansleftleg

Right decision absolutely. I can't see football coming back on April 4th but they can plan a short window and extend it if necessary.

Had a bit of a random thought on the practicality of this. Do footballers contracts state the window of employment by dates or seasons? If the domestic leagues spill over into the summer, could players' contracts expire right in the thick of the season run in? What about loan spells?

Obviously not what's important in the grand scheme, but...
Most player contracts tend to run until the end of June, with new terms or contracts generally starting from 1st July. There is nothing that says they HAVE to do it that way, but generally speaking all professional clubs will report in such a way for ease of reporting for things like financial fair play etc that are calculated from season to season.

With regards to some of the oddities around things like club sanctions for Bolton / other censure that has occurred, then the most likely course of action will be for the football authorities, once they have exhausted "all possible alternatives" to declare the season void. As a "Force Majeure" or act of god this will give them the ability to be free from legal claims by those with an angle they want to dispute.

If they try and delay then re-start or do a truncated season then the football authorities are much more exposed to legal claims because their decision has potentially been to the detriment of one club over the other.

Siorac

Liverpool still need six points to be mathematically sure of the title so even if the decision had been made two days later, they wouldn't have won it.

Theoretically, it's absolutely possible that they would go on to lose every single game from now on. Unlikely, yes, but hey, Leicester winning the title was considered unlikely, to say the least. You cannot award the league title before a team actually, y'know, wins it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

If the tables were turned, RAWK would be having a field day right now as would the Liverpool-led media.

If that's not enough, just picture the endless stream of hilarious memes that will come from this.

Devil may care

This boy is like a pistol shrimp with those two feet of his.
Mate, Liverpool fans have waited 30 years, then been massive egotistical gobshites because of a couple of decent seasons, only to be knocked out of the CL despite being sure they'd win the thing again, then have the Prem taken away from right under their noses because of a bat flu.

From a solely footballing perspective it's just brilliant. It is a shame that we were finally playing some good football, but we should be looking better next season otherwise it was just another false dawn anyway.
I get that and I think they are now seeing how we aren't the only ones that find a large chunk of their supporters unbearbly obnoxious as it's most clubs fans that seem to be enjoying the fact they might not get the title, as they thought the country were pulling for them as the media are. However for me from a football perspective it's purely about United, this feels different to the other spells of good form, and on that level I'm more disappointed for my team than I am happy that Liverpool might get the league snatched off them by this virus.

They've not earned it though, they've got very very very very very close, but they've not actually won it. That's the point. You can't award trophies for teams nearly winning something.
Sure, and I am not saying award them it, but we all know that they weren't getting caught at this point, so while obviously other fans will rub it in, it's kinda hollow, and as I say for us I'm more disappointed because this feels like a genuine, sustainable improvement in the team.

lysglimt

Scout
Justice for who? What about every other position. The ones at the bottom of the table deserve justice way more than Liverpool do at the top. Yet you're just going on about Liverpool, very bizarre.
Maybe because I am old enough to actually remember what it was like to go close to 30 years without winning the League ? As for the bottom - they have had 29 matches to do better - they didn't. I have zero sympathy for them only picking up 27 points

Fully Fledged

It’s not and that’s why it’s a light in this very dark tunnel. At least we have something to laugh at.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, this idea that the UK will save the NHS by... I don't know, letting people get infected is a bit weird.
There is a science behind it, but its usually takes a few seasonal bouts of it to actually be effective, and of course a lot of people will die.

iHicksy

Maybe because I am old enough to actually remember what it was like to go close to 30 years without winning the League ? As for the bottom - they have had 29 matches to do better - they didn't. I have zero sympathy for them only picking up 27 points
Let's just stop the league every year after 29 games then eh? You daft sod.

Doogie

It may be better suited for another thread and certainly isn't the most important factor here, but it is hard to imagine that transfer fees will be as anywhere near as high in the coming windows.
Then there is the matter of salaries, in particular for lower leave clubs that will struggle badly the longer this goes on.