Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
48 hour turn around at private institutions. Like with all serology it's a PCR. Any other doctors on here feel free to correct me but that's what I vaguely remember from 1st year med school.
I would imagine it's PCR in order to amplify the virus DNA, however I've been reading about S.Korea's testing. They can text you the result the following day so unsure what the exact process is that they're doing is. Hopefully it can be replicated elsewhere in the world. They've learnt valuable lessons from SARS and MERS.

M16Red

I’ve never known bitterness like yours. It’s borderline unhealthy. Worse than the sort of stuff you can read on RAWK.

This is a difficult calol to make right now because no one knows what the situation will be like in three weeks. The government’s handling of the situation makes me think things will get worse.
If it gets called off it will be a shame for Liverpoo.

Next year I hope your nowhere near the top as I like living in this world and I don't fancy being wiped out by zombies or a asteroid

Ben Hill

Supports
Liverpool
Just look around this forum. Most people can see how harsh it is on liverpool. It has been the most one sided league in a very long time. And it's not just liverpool being crowned champions. It's when you take the issue of premier league winners with champions league contestants and relegation teams as a whole. On what principle could could decide who are going to be in the champions league and not who are the champions?

They wont want to just appeal to previous seasons or a weird 'average' points score. It's so unprofessional. The one way to deal with all three issues is to finish the season somehow.

So I'd say yes, accumulating all of the issues including how close liverpool are to becoming champions, I'd say the authorities are strongly inclined to try and finish the season rather than make it void.
Thank you. At last, some much needed common sense.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I’ve never known bitterness like yours. It’s borderline unhealthy. Worse than the sort of stuff you can read on RAWK.

This is a difficult calol to make right now because no one knows what the situation will be like in three weeks. The government’s handling of the situation makes me think things will get worse.
It's embarrassing small time behavior! The desperation to stop Liverpool knows no bounds!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I have been dreading the day Liverpool win the league (I have some unbearable LFC supporting mates plus not so great experiences as an away fan there) but I can't think of anyway that they don't deserve to be crowned champions. If the points advantage were single figures or even upto 15 I would be inclined to say it they probably shouldn't get it but 25 is too much, I'd be incandescent if Chelsea got denied a title in similar circumstances. They are the equivalent of 6-0 up in a CL final with five minutes to go, in those circumstances a team would almost certainly be given the trophy if it was abandoned at that point.

Top 4 is different because it's so close, had this been 2008 where the title race was close but the top 4 was a lockdown (unfortunate choice of words) I'd say we can't award the title but top 4 should be a shoe in.

Denis79

I put this in the newbies but thought I would add it here:

Reading this extract from Rooney on COVID-19:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51896488

A few comments stand out:

"After the emergency meeting, at last the right decision was made - until then it almost felt like footballers in England were being treated like guinea pigs.

"I know how I feel. If any of my family get infected through me because I've had to play when it's not safe, and they get seriously ill, I'd have to think hard about ever playing again. I would never forgive the authorities."

I can't read the full Times article referenced but based in the BBC article, whilst I do sympathise with footballers, I think he is off the mark. Footballers are at no more risk than my children are at school. In reality it is the fans who were exposed unnecessarily, herded in large closely packed groups for 2 hours and of mixed ages and various levels of health. I get his frustration and fear but I think he should be recognising the fans have been put at a significantly higher level of risk than any footballer.
You're right that the people gathered in a mass crowd face a higher risk of contracting the virus but they are there of their own accord. People employed in the football industry have to be there because the job demands it. Fans make the choice to attend games, they are not demanded to be there, like the players are. So Rooney has a valid point.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Logic is not my biggest strength? Says the guy who contradicts his own argument by saying Liverpool aren't mathematically champions, but the also says even if you have a lead of 40 points after 37 games yo are still not champions? Where's the logic there!

I know the league is not only about 1 team which is why I have said that my preference is for the league to be resumed as soon as it is safe to do so, however long it takes.
Yeah, you obviously didn't have logic classes in school. Those two examples explain why Liverpool should not get a title. And both can be used against your argument.

If all clubs play all 38 games and you finished first then you are clear champion and nobody can't deny that. It is fully legit way.
When you mathematically secure first place, you are again champion but only in theory. It is hard to make it legit and award you that title because league is not finished (problem with other clubs who fight for CL, El, relegation etc...).

Awarding title to Liverpool now (despite huge lead) is only based on assumption. So if you get title i know that you Liverpool fans will not care about that but it will always be remembered as a gifted title. At least for other clubs fans.

Judas

Open to offers
I have been dreading the day Liverpool win the league (I have some unbearable LFC supporting mates plus not so great experiences as an away fan there) but I can't think of anyway that they don't deserve to be crowned champions. If the points advantage were single figures or even upto 15 I would be inclined to say it they probably shouldn't get it but 25 is too much, I'd be incandescent if Chelsea got denied a title in similar circumstances. They are the equivalent of 6-0 up in a CL final with five minutes to go, in those circumstances a team would almost certainly be given the trophy if it was abandoned at that point.

Top 4 is different because it's so close, had this been 2008 where the title race was close but the top 4 was a lockdown (unfortunate choice of words) I'd say we can't award the title but top 4 should be a shoe in.
No they wouldn't.

kerano.

Swedish National Hockey League abandoned the season today. No winner. None coming up or dropping down.
Might be something for PL? No medal for Liverpool :)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Spread out PL, CL and FA Cup from August till mid November, then European Cup from the holiday period until early February.

Then either call it quits until next August or do a blitz season without domestic cups or CL and everyone plays each other only once. Or 4 groups of 5 teams with two-legged semis and a final at Wembley - the opportunities are endless!

I like the idea not to have a 20/21 season though. Liverpool FC, Premier League Champions 2019-2021.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's embarrassing small time behavior! The desperation to stop Liverpool knows no bounds!
You seem worried. The possibility of Liverpool losing out on the title this year is a very real one and you're not coping well.

And you're wrong about the desperation part as many of us made our peace with Liverpool winning it months ago.

Jam

Look I’m inclined to agree that Liverpool are almost assuredly champions. For them to lose is mathematically possible but would require a nigh on miracle.

However the issue lies in that this is an entire league; and a sport at large. Yes Liverpool may be comfortably champions, but what about 3rd/4th place? What about 16/17/18? What about basically every other position on the Premier League table, what about the Championship, what about the national leagues and so on and so forth.

You simply can’t just end the season here. This is more than just about Liverpool. Nor can you just award them the title and deal with everyone else separately.

Things either have to be declared null and void in a worst case scenario or hopefully simply completed at a later date if possible which would be the preferred option.

There is no easy option, there is no right option. This is an incredibly complex social and economic issue and there will he holes in every single solution proposed.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
You seem worried. The possibility of Liverpool losing out on the title this year is a very real one, and you're not coping well.

And you're wrong about the desperation part as many of us made our peace with Liverpool winning it months ago.
It's the Liverpool fans that seem desperate oddly enough.

Anyway, football is fecking meaningless right now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How about -
Liverpool = title (all jokes aside, this is clear)

City and Leicester = CL

Play-offs for final CL place = Chelsea vs Sheffield United, Man United vs Wolves both 2 legs, final at Wembley. Winner goes into CL, 3 losers go into EL.

Championship 1st, 2nd & 3rd vs PL 20th, 19th & 18th in one off games at Wembley to determine promotion relegation, so Leeds vs Norwich, West Brom vs Aston Villa & Fulham vs Bournemouth.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It unfair that any player gets injured like Pogba - but that's football.
Exactly. So it's pretty daft to complain about football being "unfair" when injured players come back from injury :lol:
Erm. Pal the MD at missus company has been tested 3 times privately. He had Sars when it went off and he lives in Hong Kong - but guess where he is now England.
You only get tested (up to now anyway) if you have 1) shown symptoms or 2) have come in direct contact with someone who has had the virus. Your MD likely would have fallen into the latter. The Athletic even reported it themselves that clubs couldn't get their own players tested unless they fell in one of those categories. You can't just jump the queue.

Self testing kits are on their way but they are first going to go to healthcare professionals who have bigger risk of getting the virus, and can screen their patients (GPs/Pharmacists/Dentists) before going out to everyone.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How about -
Liverpool = title

City and Leicester = CL

Play-offs for final CL place = Chelsea vs Sheffield United, Man United vs Wolves both 2 legs, final at Wembley.

Championship 1st, 2nd & 3rd vs PL 20th, 19th & 18th in one off games at Wembley to determine promotion relegation, so Leeds vs Norwich, West Brom vs Aston Villa & Fulham vs Bournemouth.
I was thinking about it but why should Spurs and Arsenal accept that? Or Villa and Bournemouth?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was thinking about it but why should Spurs and Arsenal accept that? Or Villa and Bournemouth?
I think Villa and Bournemouth would accept one off games against weaker sides to preserve their PL status, rather than playing several superior sides, yes. Leeds and West Brom are getting fecked far worse in this scenario than Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich to be honest.

Arsenal and Spurs would be fuming, but they are where they are in the table for a reason, and I can't think of any other way that wouldn't massively disrupt next season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think Villa and Bournemouth would accept one off games against weaker sides to preserve their PL status, rather than playing several superior sides, yes.

Arsenal and Spurs would be fuming, but they are where they are in the table for a reason, and I can't think of any other way that wouldn't massively disrupt next season.
Villa and Arsenal have even game in hand. Plus Chelsea has at this moment secured CL spot.

But yeah, there is no fair solution for everybody at this moment

Rafaeldagold

I think Villa and Bournemouth would accept one off games against weaker sides to preserve their PL status, rather than playing several superior sides, yes. Leeds and West Brom are getting fecked far worse in this scenario than Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich to be honest.

I get the point but very unfair on Leeds who are pretty much there.

Fairer to have an expanded league next year with more relegation slots

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wiping everything (even player stats, if the season is void surely the stats to do with the season is also void)... that sounds so infinity war/end game like!

Need a gif of Spiderman with a Liverpool top saying "I don't feel so good" and disappearing away :lol:

I'd say even July or August is optimistic to be honest.

Cancelling/voiding the season would cause huge problems though, for all sorts of reasons. You have to resume the season irregardless of how long it takes.

If you were filming a box set of a programme and you had to shut down for months due to the virus, you wouldn't just not complete the season you were making and skip to the next one!
No you don’t.

also your crap analogy doesn’t even work - see the writers strike and the fact that series got cancelled, some shows didn’t complete the filming and released incomplete series, and then started afresh when the strike was over.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Wayne Rooney just commented on it on BBC and he's bang on in regards to the actions of the government and the footballing authorities with regards to the game.

opopop

Or being 3 Níl up with 11 minutes to play against a crap Palace team.

I thought it was very unsporting of everyone to count that as a draw in the end after Liverpool were clearly the better team and deserved the win.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wayne Rooney just commented on it on BBC and he's bang on in regards to the actions of the government and the footballing authorities with regards to the game.
RAWK trashing on him saying he earns millions and should have retired 6 years ago if he has a problem :lol:

Such a bunch of deluded cnuts... the man is talking on behalf of all footballers FFS.

Ben Hill

Supports
Liverpool
A friend of mines Uncle is a PL shareholder & he has said privatley there will be no more football in England this year.

M16Red

Exactly. So it's pretty daft to complain about football being "unfair" when injured players come back from injury :lol:

You only get tested (up to now anyway) if you have 1) shown symptoms or 2) have come in direct contact with someone who has had the virus. Your MD likely would have fallen into the latter. The Athletic even reported it themselves that clubs couldn't get their own players tested unless they fell in one of those categories. You can't just jump the queue.

Self testing kits are on their way but they are first going to go to healthcare professionals who have bigger risk of getting the virus, and can screen their patients (GPs/Pharmacists/Dentists) before going out to everyone.
What are you on about, if we played them today they would be without Son and Kane, also a drumming for LP? Now we play them after 2 1/2 weeks extra training (if they are training) with injured players back. That is a unforeseen advantage, hell they could fly to Brazil for some warm weather training.

I just told you, people with money are getting tested privately - I've never seen a footballer for Utd or City sat in A&E in MRI on match day, they all have private doctors. Do you really think a 80 million pound investment would be calling 111?

Greck

Findings of loss in lung capacity following recovery could really mess up infected players' cardios in the short run. On the other hand some of these players already play full games despite doing a ton of lung damaging things in their free time. It's not the same as the average Joe losing breath after climbing a flight of stairs. Regardless Rooney is right, they too need to be protected. The risk is too big

Wiping everything (even player stats, if the season is void surely the stats to do with the season is also void)... that sounds so infinity war/end game like!

Need a gif of Spiderman with a Liverpool top saying "I don't feel so good" and disappearing away :lol:
of course individual stats remain, as do the games that have taken place. They have been played, and the records are kept.

just the competitions end without a winner, exception being Man City and the league Cup.

which for city fans, could be amusing in decades to come, in what year did city win the only trophy in England!

DRM

Suspending the PL will not happen. I;ve been listening to the radio, TV, reading news articles etc and almost all of them are talking about how this would be unfair of poor old pool. There will be far too much pressure on the FA (or whoever is in charge of the PL) from the media to suspend this season. The most likely scenario will be that the season will be allowed to be played out in the summer months, have a 2 week break then start the next season. Darling old liverpool will not be prevented from lifting the PL trophy.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Is there a link available? I can't find anything on google about it

What are you on about, if we played them today they would be without Son and Kane, also a drumming for LP? Now we play them after 2 1/2 weeks extra training (if they are training) with injured players back. That is a unforeseen advantage, hell they could fly to Brazil for some warm weather training.

I just told you, people with money are getting tested privately - I've never seen a footballer for Utd or City sat in A&E in MRI on match day, they all have private doctors. Do you really think a 80 million pound investment would be calling 111?
games get rearranged all the time.

such a poor argument you have here. In theory if the Utd/ spurs match was played in 8 weeks time, then Utd would have Pogba and Rashford back as well - both currently injured.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Just look around this forum. Most people can see how harsh it is on liverpool. It has been the most one sided league in a very long time. And it's not just liverpool being crowned champions. It's when you take the issue of premier league winners with champions league contestants and relegation teams as a whole. On what principle could could decide who are going to be in the champions league and not who are the champions?

They wont want to just appeal to previous seasons or a weird 'average' points score. It's so unprofessional. The one way to deal with all three issues is to finish the season somehow.

So I'd say yes, accumulating all of the issues including how close liverpool are to becoming champions, I'd say the authorities are strongly inclined to try and finish the season rather than make it void.
You void the season and then have next season without any European football. You lower the risk of the virus being spread by keeping it domestic for a season and you take out the whole qualifies for the champions league’

evil_geko

How about -
Liverpool = title (all jokes aside, this is clear)

City and Leicester = CL

Play-offs for final CL place = Chelsea vs Sheffield United, Man United vs Wolves both 2 legs, final at Wembley. Winner goes into CL, 3 losers go into EL.

City is CL banned though.

Fridge chutney

That is not the issue here. The issue is the safety of footballers, fans, and the general population!

Liverpool's fecking "title" should be last on the agenda.

Suspending the PL will not happen. I;ve been listening to the radio, TV, reading news articles etc and almost all of them are talking about how this would be unfair of poor old pool. There will be far too much pressure on the FA (or whoever is in charge of the PL) from the media to suspend this season. The most likely scenario will be that the season will be allowed to be played out in the summer months, have a 2 week break then start the next season. Darling old liverpool will not be prevented from lifting the PL trophy.
play the rest of the season In the summer, and then clubs have completely different teams. Utd for example have Matic and Oghalo out of contract, and might sign Sancho, Kane - And god knows who else. It doesn’t add up playing the season so late.

what about clubs in the lower leagues whocan’t tie players to long contracts and routinely have 10-12 first team squad players out of contract each summer. How does that work?

you cant just extend players contracts unilaterally for 3/4/5/6 months there will be lawsuits galore.

You void the season and then have next season without any European football. You lower the risk of the virus being spread by keeping it domestic for a season and you take out the whole qualifies for the champions league’
It’s a massive hit to clubs who rely on European money, but might just the most sensible and fairest thing to do.