Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've been going to Old Trafford for nearly 30 years and every time they kick off I say "come on you reds" without fail. We're the reds too. I'm fully aware that the dippers call themselves that though.
Come on you reds, come on you reds, just keep your bottle, and use your heads,
It's 90 minutes we'll let them know, it's Man United here we go.

#fact :)
Granted, but to me it's Liverpool fans that go around called each other reds. I've barely heard it said in that way in 25 years of going to OT (outside of those examples) but maybe I've just (unfortunately) spent more time with Liverpools fans outside of it, having living there for a while and also having two Pool supporting best mates. Doesn't sound right to me :wenger:

SER19

This has been clear for a while imo, just a question of how the FA, PL and the rest handle it.

Null and voiding the entire season and starting again when safe to seems the most sensible plan to me.

No guarantee when games can be played without fans spreading the virus further and if squads are affected would make a mockery of fair competition.
Yeah maybe you're right. the euros won't go ahead for example. Some people seem to think that leagues will just start on schedule in August though which is incredibly unlikely. Some predict this won't peak in Europe until December so there's a fair chance things will be worse September to December than they are now. There needs to be a way to get football calender back in order in the future though and a shorter season whenever a season can go ahead again seems the only way.

Like how long a delay can be deemed legitimate for the season, for relegation etc. There are so many variables about fitness, crowd impact,momentum and so on that I can't see any team relegated taking it on the chin.

I wonder if this happened in October for example, would people care if season started over? Probably not. So if that were true, we can't really justify putting sports above health just because the season is nearly over.

aosmdee

They have had decades to complete a study though and SAGE have said that banning people from attending sports events, where scientists regard an infectious person as unlikely to pass the disease to very many around them, could be counter-productive if people instead watch matches in pubs, where the disease is more likely to spread.

I think there's as much chance that without a full lockdown that by cancelling football and other events, we are instead pushing people into gathering in smaller venues such as pubs, restaurants, cafes etc. Where will all the United fans in Austria go tonight? To small pubs, packed to the rafters and with a much higher chance of spread/infection right?
Suspending crowds? Fully agree but the games, really? CL and Europa fair enough but is there any real need for domestic games to go?

The odds of under 50s dying from the virus are 0.2%. If you haven't been to China that alone significantly reduces those odds, don't have underlying health issues that reduces it further and I imagine if they're healthy athletes further still. Add that to further precautions they almost surely take then they're probably more likely to die on route to games than through the virus.

By all means prospone games to be replayed later for one certain club if a significant amount of players have to self isolate, but if it comes down to it games could still be played with just the players, officials and cameramen if need be with potentially at risk coaches (like Roy) managing from a far like managers with touchline bans do.

If they cancel football, no one is going to the pub to watch anything... So we agree than that cancelling football is the right thing to do and not the half measures of playing behind closed doors.
Sure the odds of dying if you are younger than 30, not 50 is 0.2%. 40-49 is 0.4%, but whatever. feck the elderly. Let them die. Again egocentric. These are the same arguments anti-vaxers make.
8% of the world population is older than 65 years old. If we take the most conservative estimate of 4% mortality in that population (spoiler: its higher), we are talking about 7.7 billion x 0.08 x 0.04 = 24 million people dead.

OleBoiii

This is becoming more and more likely. If this peaks in a couple of months, then it means that the PL will be postponed for so long that it will overlap with next season. That's not gonna work.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If they cancel football, no one is going to the pub to watch anything... So we agree than that cancelling football is the right thing to do and not the half measures of playing behind closed doors.
Sure the odds of dying if you are younger than 30, not 50 is 0.2%. 40-49 is 0.4%, but whatever. feck the elderly. Let them die. Again egocentric. These are the same arguments anti-vaxers make.
8% of the world population is older than 65 years old. If we take the most conservative estimate of 4% mortality in that population (spoiler: its higher), we are talking about 7.7 billion x 0.08 x 0.04 = 24 million people dead.
A lot of that elderly population are the people who pick kids up from school, take kids to school, have them during school holidays so their mothers can go out to work. Pretty vital people I would say.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I've been going to Old Trafford for nearly 30 years and every time they kick off I say "come on you reds" without fail. We're the reds too. I'm fully aware that the dippers call themselves that though.
Please at least give us a capital D. We might be about to have the league taken from us after 30 years of waiting.

djembatheking

Madness to cancel Europa League games too :houllier::houllier:

No one has cancelled games because of the Influenza virus but the Corona virus makes everyone crazy :houllier:
I am surprised that teams are still bothering as it is pretty obvious at this stage that the european tournaments will be shut down before they are concluded.

Bwuk

No one has cancelled games because of the Influenza virus but the Corona virus makes everyone crazy :houllier:
:lol: you cannot be serious.

I think this will be the last set of fixtures played at the weekend, if we even get to the weekend without them being cancelled.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think for the premier league a lot depends on how long the containment phase proves to be. At the moment players have to self-isolate if they have been in contact with a victim, but as the numbers of infected rise this phase will be declared over, and players will only have to self-isolate if they have actual symptoms themselves. By that point we will all have been in contact with a victim, whether knowingly or not.

I'm only guessing of course, the government will advise and they will have shedloads of information and expert opinion which we should go along with, I wouldn't claim to know more than them.

aosmdee

STOP THIS MYTH NOW! the coronavirus is NOT the flu. You are either a WUM or an ignorant fool. Educate yourself.

The corona virus is:
1. A different virus to the influenza virus
2. has no treatment
3. has no vaccine
4. has a MINIMUM of 10 FOLD the mortality
5. Spreads more efficiently
6. Has already caused medical capacity to be exceeded in places like China and Italy
and so much more.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

muller

Ask doctors or nurses in the hospitals and they will tell you the same.
I have. My nan is in hospital at the minute and I had a long discussion with a nurse yesterday, and a brief chat with the doctor (who was a chelsea fan). They both said they think that the fixtures at the weekend will likely be the last football we will see in a while.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Granted, but to me it's Liverpool fans that go around called each other reds. I've barely heard it said in that way in 25 years of going to OT (outside of those examples) but maybe I've just (unfortunately) spent more time with Liverpools fans outside of it, having living there for a while and also having two Pool supporting best mates. Doesn't sound right to me :wenger:
ManUtd.com also refer us as reds.

As the Reds gear up for another game away from Old Trafford this weekend against West Ham United, it represents a chance to get back on track after consecutive draws at home, including the subsequent Carabao Cup exit to Derby County on penalties on Tuesday.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-players-praise-the-reds-superb-away-following

They do it regularly.

SER19

Blatant wum.

Or else dangerously out of touch with science and medicine and one of those people that coughs all over others and doesn't wash his hands after a shit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Go educate yourself a bit before you make any more daft statements.

Nick7

This is a monumentally stupid post. Probably the most stupid I've ever read.

Ask doctors or nurses in the hospitals and they will tell you the same.
Wait, no this takes the cake. Well done.

RedDevilzFox

Its amazing how many people still don't take COVID-19 seriously. This is an interview with the director of CIDRAP just yesterday in a podcast with JRE. Scary to say the least.

youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This isn't about "feck the elderly", they won't be anywhere near the game.

The fact is all that is actually needed for the games to go ahead are the 36 players on both sides, the officials and a few cameramen. If they're going to go down the extra cautious route even the subs can all sit miles away from eachother with no audience on the terraces they could even do the team talk on the pitch if someone's paranoid about the dressing room.

Yes precautions have to be taken and I fully understand the decision to play in empty stadiums, but if we're going to go down such ridiolously cautious routes like canceling games full stop we may aswell cancel football completely because occasionally coaches and planes crash, there's a fine line between nessesery precautions and paranoia.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is a monumentally stupid post. Probably the most stupid I've ever read.

Wait, no this takes the cake. Well done.
Go and read the last couple of pages of Covid-19 thread in general. You'll see worse.

Alabaster Codify7

I am surprised that teams are still bothering as it is pretty obvious at this stage that the european tournaments will be shut down before they are concluded.

Gotta keep that money coming for as long as possible though. Cancel it once another round or two of meaningless fixtures have lined UEFA's pockets some more.

edcunited1878

STOP THIS MYTH NOW! the coronavirus is NOT the flu. You are either a WUM or an ignorant fool. Educate yourself.

The corona virus is:
1. A different virus to the influenza virus
2. has no treatment
3. has no vaccine
4. has a MINIMUM of 10 FOLD the mortality
5. Spreads more efficiently
6. Has already caused medical capacity to be exceeded in places like China and Italy
and so much more.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html
Whoa, whoa.

There is treatment. People are being diagnosed with the virus and are being quarantined and recovering from it. That's been protocol and treatment.
There isn't a vaccine yet, that is very much true.
The mortality rate still isn't as high as the common flu, however this is getting blown out of proportion. It truly is.
Spreads more efficiently yes, because as of now it's pretty potent in how it spreads which is bodily fluids and close contact or close confines with an infected person

aosmdee

This isn't about "feck the elderly", they won't be anywhere near the game.

The fact is all that is actually needed for the games to go ahead are the 36 players on both sides, the officials and a few cameramen. If they're going to go down the extra cautious route even the subs can all sit miles away from eachother with no audience on the terraces they could even do the team talk on the pitch if someone's paranoid about the dressing room.

Yes precautions have to be taken and I fully understand the decision to play in empty stadiums, but if we're going to go down such ridiolously cautious routes like canceling games full stop we may aswell cancel football completely because occasionally coaches and planes crash, there's a fine line between nessesery precautions and paranoia.
This is my last post because I have hit my limit.

Your example is not relevant. One team plane crashing is not the same thing as we are talking about here.
What happens when the young attendees go home and kiss their nan, then their nan goes and plays Bridge we her friends?

I will admit that I was not too worried when this whole thing started, but as a doctor, I am terrified of what my life is going to be in the next few months. I am already tired, and I have had to cancel the holiday I have been looking forward to, so I am burned out. Football is the only TV I ever watch because i don't have time for much else. I tell you that I am worried and you should be too. Most on this forum will be fine, but this is not trivial, and you should take this seriously. Have a good night.

Whoa, whoa.

There is treatment. People are being diagnosed with the virus and are being quarantined and recovering from it. That's been protocol and treatment.
The mortality rate still isn't as high as the common flu, however this is getting blown out of proportion. It truly is.
Spreads more efficiently yes, because as of now it's pretty potent in how it spreads which is bodily fluids and close contact or close confines with an infected person
Who did you hear this from? Donald Trump? There is no treatment. the one they have now is in clinical trials! We do not know that it actually works! Hence the clinical trial.
people recovered because their immune system helped them recover, not because they were treated! Jesus Christ. the level of misinformation here is staggering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 711

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I will admit that I was not too worried when this whole thing started, but as a doctor, I am terrified of what my life is going to be in the next few months. I am already tired, and I have had to cancel the holiday I have been looking forward to, so I am burned out. Football is the only TV I ever watch because i don't have time for much else. I tell you that I am worried and you should be too. Most on this forum will be fine, but this is not trivial, and you should take this seriously. Have a good night.
It’s fine to worry, but it serves us no good to panic and make hasty decisions with too drastic measures.

Best of luck to you in the coming days, weeks and months.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Whoa, whoa.

Why are people not getting how bad this is? Please think and research before you post.

RedDevilRoshi

Have you been living under a rock all this time as you don’t really seem to have a clue what’s going on in the world?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What happens when the young attendees go home and kiss their nan, then their nan goes and plays Bridge we her friends?
The only way to stop things like this completely is full self isolation for everyone, which is just not practical.

, but this is not trivial, and you should take this seriously. Have a good night.
Again I've already said the nessesery precautions should be taken, but as I've also said there's a fine line between that and being stupidly paranoid.

Of all the risky things that can be done right now 40 people most of whom healthy athletes being in a big open stadium is probably very low on the list, a trip to Tesco is probably more likely to cause a spread.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Reading this thread makes it blinding obvious how it spreads and I am 99% sure that it involves stupid people, ignorantly ignoring all expert advice because someone they have on Facebook posted an infographic that mocked the state of public concern and provided alternative figures and they chose to accept that over the general medical expect consensus because they think it makes them smarter to know better.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Reading this thread makes it blinding obvious how it spreads and I am 99% sure that it involves stupid people, ignorantly ignoring all expert advice because someone they have on Facebook posted an infographic that mocked the state of public concern and provided alternative figures and they chose to accept that over the general medical expect consensus because they think it makes them smarter to know better.
In fairness, most people here seem to be taking it very serious on the whole, and are just having disagreements about what are appropriate measures to take when.

To be fair, I think it spreads because that's what viruses are good at, not because the World is full of idiots. It spreads because we have such a connected World.

Even with all of the safeguards, unless we shut down the World as we know it, a huge amount of people are going to contract it.

Pughnichi

Come on you reds, come on you reds
Just keep your bottle and use your heads
For ninety minutes we'll let them know
Who's Man United, here we go

Come on you reds, come on you reds
Just keep your bottle and use your heads
For ninety minutes we'll let them know
Who's Man United, here we go
You're an hour and a half late mate ;)

Come on you reds, come on you reds, just keep your bottle, and use your heads,
It's 90 minutes we'll let them know, who's Man United here we go.

#fact :)