Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It’s either going to be a master stroke or a catastrophe. My money is on the latter unfortunately. This evening my cousin was with a friend when he got a text from another friend who had just been diagnosed. Won’t be long before we all know someone whose been diagnosed and/or died.
There will be 60k football fans (and Glaston) at WHL on Sunday afternoon. At least one of those fans is carrying the virus, knowingly or otherwise, which means a lot more people will be infected after the game. That's just one of the hundreds of games taking place this weekend.

I'm leaning towards catastrophe.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If arsenal Vs Brighton had to be cancelled, then surely whoever West ham are playing should be cancelled too?

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
With this news surely the FA has to step in and suspend the football if the government won't. Unless everyone wants to watch games being played in half empty stadiums with youth teams and assistant managers?

ROFLUTION

Come on Boris, you fecking numbwit

LEAD the country. Make tough decisions. Atm you're possibly guilty of making the NHS collapse

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did Arteta catch it from the Olympiakos fixture? If so, Wolves are potentially compromised now as well due to their game tonight.

A complete shitshow.
Their owner must've had a selfie with him.

Moyes was hugging him and probably having a drink with him at the weekend aswell.

SER19

So their game vs Brighton has to be off. Every arsenal player will have to quarantine. This will become a shit show. Just scrap it.

cyberman

Has to be a play off for European places. Liverpool get there because theyre mathematically safe while 2nd plays 7th, 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th.
You are welcome FA.

Poor Arsenal spend their lives in quarentine

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Is going to the pub still a good idea?
It's a pretty horrible idea, unless you have nobody vulnerable at home and don't care about getting sick yourself. Social distancing is the only weapon we have right now to fight this and going to pub is the opposite of social distancing.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So we now have managers and players from 4/5 PL clubs in isolation? Surely they’ll have to reconsider tomorrow and call it off. I’d be amazed if not.

Josh 76

It's over.
Only thing is how long will they suspend it ?
They say this is just the start. So might be 2 or 3 months.....if not more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a pretty horrible idea, unless you have nobody vulnerable at home and don't care about getting sick yourself. Social distancing is the only weapon we have right now to fight this and going to pub is the opposite of social distancing.
I don't live with my dad anymore but regularly see him on Sat/Sunday at our local. He's 70 now and had issues with his immune system last few years so basically will have to cancel our meetings until further notice.

He's not exactly a people's person and spends half his life working on motorbike spares in his shed so should be o.k hopefully!

HalfBaked22

It's crazy looking at the bottom ticker on ESPN and seeing MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, the NCAA tournament, all NCAA winter and spring sports and La Liga all being suspended/cancelled and then seeing "Premier League matches will go on this weekend".

Michael T

With players and managers going down with the virus now, I can't see any way forward from here.

This is going to go on for months; can't see any football competition surving this in any recognisable way. Postponing everything would just screw up the start of next season too.

Trivial considering the grand scheme of things and the awfulness that lies ahead, but crazy times.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
How does EPL issue this statement saying all matches will go on as scheduled this weekend https://www.premierleague.com/news/1645088?sf231435613=1

When Arteta is confirmed to have the virus (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51865442) which basically means Arsenal and probably several other teams should be quarantined?

There's no limit to how moronic some people can be?

Calm down everyone, Boris said it’s fine.
Yeap, and Donald agreed. Inspires a lot of confidence, both of them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not to mention all the players he has been in contact with.
Ultimately the players are monitored daily and are in peak fitness so unless they're an underlying issue I wouldn't worry about too much about them bar it being an uncomfortable illness for a few days.

A manager having it is a big issue though given they are generally much older and not in the best of shape. I was going to say Steve Bruce is textbook example of someone you really wouldn't want to catch this and they only played Newcastle a few weeks back although think it was before the Olympiakos games. Woy of course another with him being the oldest manager around.

Dante

Average bang
The season resumes at some point with Liverpool winning the PL and United winning the EL

or

The season is abandoned with Liverpool winning nothing and United failing to get into the CL because we finished 6th last season

?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Razvan

redshaw

Germany and UK are doing the same thing so far, Arteta testing positive might changes things though.

The Firestarter

They must have been living in fantasy land if they thought no players / coaches would get it. Absolutely disgraceful by the officials.