Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Mason Mount been caught playing 5 a side with other footballers when he should be in isolation because he’s part of the Chelsea squad. Twat.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's almost like whoever that executive is with have only a league concern for the rest of this season :lol:

Imagine say Man City coming out and saying only the FA Cup needs to be completed.

There's too much self serving and bitterness around all of this.
Good luck to the powers that be sorting it all out!

crossy1686

career ending
That isn't going to happen. What sort of knock-on effect is that going to have for the following season and the season after that? There isn't enough time to keep pilling up fixtures that can't be fulfilled.

What happens to the transfer window if this set of fixtures ends in August and the new season starts in September? No pre-season? No break? We're expecting everyone to play 12 months of football with a 2 week break in the middle?

It's about time the PL realised that the only team that benefits from the league fixtures being honored is Liverpool.

They're also presuming everything will go back to running in early April, there's not a fecking chance things will resume until after the summer IMO.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If the rationale applies that it's not fair to freeze the season as the final standings at this stage, then it's based on the premise that the team didn't sign up to play 30 rather than 38 league games before the competition started. Changing the format of next season allows all teams to sign up in full knowledge of the format before it begins.

Irrespective of what happens with this season, the next campaign may need to be shortened regardless. Whether that's down to complete this season, the pandemic delaying the start of next season, or the virus surging back in the winter, we will need to think about changing the format to put in some contingency.
I agree there needs to be a contingency in place - especially since the virus is very likely to return in the near future - so long as it's created based on the players' health, rather than what's 'fair' in terms of who qualifies for what, then it's all good. The players' well-being must take precedence above all else, no exceptions.

RedDevil@84

With columnists having nothing new to report, they will be rehashing the same point about how it will be a catastrophe if Pool are not awarded the trophy.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
People trying to use the cancellation of football because of the outbreak of world war as some kind of precedent has to be the most idiotic comparison to date.

Season 1914-15 was completed.
Season 1939-40 was cancelled after 3 games.

GwilDor

So, i'm assuming before too long, the European Championship will be cancelled, to allow extra room to complete the national competitions. Wether that is gonna be enough is anyones guess, but it will probably need some adjustments well into when next season normally would have started. The transfer window obviously needs to be adjusted accordingly, to coincide with the time between seasons. Contracts running out in the summer probably needs a solution too. It will be a mess, and not everybody will be happy.

billdrama

This whole shortening of next season to complete the current one doesn't sit right with me.

Why is this season more of a priority than the following one or any others thereafter?
I think it would feel more just because you could state from the start of the season that you are following a particular set of regulations rather than scrapping one with 10 matches left.

I think the uncertainty of the situation also needs to be factored in. It seems like there will be no guarantee next season can be played in full anyway as there might be another peak of the virus in winter, so we could end up scrapping one season with a few months left to start a new one which then has to be scrapped just a few months in.

In terms of the 14/20 PL clubs voting (which I believe is true) I guess the potential loss of finances will dictate many clubs. A range of broadcasting contracts and sponsorship deals are in place which will presumably be voided in part themselves if this season is not completed. If clubs stand to lose significant amounts if the season is cancelled, then you'd think a large number of teams would vote for the season to continue apart from those near the bottom and Arsenal/Tottenham (and even some near the bottom might be glad to just take the money anyway - are Norwich likely to do that much better next season for instance?)

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If you break it down into chunks it’s easier to see that finishing the season is the worst option there is.

1. will games resume in April? Extremely unlikely. It’s going to be a number of months as a minimum where you can’t play football.

2. if it goes past 30 June, players contracts expire. This again, is where you need to look past Liverpool. League 1 and league 2 teams can’t afford to offer players 3-5 year contracts, and routinely will have 10-12 players out of contract at the end of the season, along with 4-5 loan players. It’s completely impractical for them to play the remainder of the matches in July, August and beyond.

3. You therefore have to have a transfer window, and this will need to apply to all clubs.

4. if you restarted the league in July/ August. Utd. Could have signed Kane, Sancho etc. Makes a mockery of the competition. Multiply that by every club.

5. You would then need another transfer window between seasons. Look at a team like Aston Villa for example, they will male vastly different transfer decisions based on whether they get relegated or stay up. You can’t just roll one season into the next.

6. players need a break. A proper break, self isolation is not a break.

7. of therefore the season can’t be finished by the end of June (or if you could finish it in July, you cajole get round some of these issues), then it needs to finish. It won’t restart, it will be abandoned.

8. you then have a transfer window, hopefully with a proposed start date dependent on the virus for the start of the new season.

9. the CL and Europa league will be scrapped next season. Pre qualifying was proposed to start in August which clearly won’t happen. You wouldn’t be able to work out who qualifies in any case. Would spurs and arsenal qualify because of their league standing in 19/20! That would be a joke.

10. 20/21 will likely start later on any case so no champions league or Europe league games will ease the fixture congestion. Much better than scrapping domestic cup competitions. Football is much more than the top clubs.

11. Upshot is. 19/20 will be abandoned. No winners, no promotion, no relegation. 20/21 starts with the same teams in each league as 19/20 at some point later this calendar year and no european competition on 20/21. Will resume the season after.
All very sensible and what most people with the actual interest of the game are arguing. Only the a handful of clubs for selfish interests would not agree. The only part I disagree with is the no EL/CL. That is too much of a money spinner for the top clubs and UEFA. A much more likely scenario is that we start it again next season with the same groups as this. I reckon this will happen as a number of teams that are in it still, Napoli, Atleti, Lyon, Rangers, Wolves and Wolfsburg can argue that cancelling it this year would be unfair on them as they have got this far and they may not re-qualify next year if the leagues are frozen as is because we cannot go past June because of contracts/fitness etc.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Pool's executive I guess?
Makes sense, even if it fecks up future seasons. We can deal with that when it comes. Now the priority should be to finish the season.

European competitions should be reduced to 1 leg and played in the stadium where the final is held. Then there is only 4 EL games left and 4 CL games so can be done over two weeks (any games where the second leg needs to be completed should be done so behind closed doors).

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
People trying to use the cancellation of football because of the outbreak of world war as some kind of precedent has to be the most idiotic comparison to date.

Season 1914-15 was completed.
Season 1939-40 was cancelled after 3 games.
More relevant at the moment is the question of whether and to what degree not voiding the 1918-1919 season during the crucial early months of the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918 (which eventually went on to claim multiple millions of lives, globally) contributed the rapid, wide spread of the disease. How many lives might the urge to get football up and running after WWI in order to foster the feeling that life was 'back to normal' have cost?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Strangely optimistic about football coming back soonish for some reason.
I think they will bring it back to actually aid further isolation.

They will eventually claim that keeping people entertained in their homes over longer periods of time, justifies the decision to come back.

We will see leagues completing behind closed doors and also mini tournaments over the summer to finish the cup competitions.

Once people come up with a few more ideas for drugs and testing and footballers feel looked after and ready to come back, they will make it happen.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think this season will play out, personally. Between the pressure from the broadcasters and the potential ramifications for clubs if they void the season, i'm pretty certain they'll play it out in May/June or something. Be very surprised if they completely cancel it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
All very sensible and what most people with the actual interest of the game are arguing. Only the a handful of clubs for selfish interests would not agree. The only part I disagree with is the no EL/CL. That is too much of a money spinner for the top clubs and UEFA. A much more likely scenario is that we start it again next season with the same groups as this. I reckon this will happen as a number of teams that are in it still, Napoli, Atleti, Lyon, Rangers, Wolves and Wolfsburg can argue that cancelling it this year would be unfair on them as they have got this far and they may not re-qualify next year if the leagues are frozen as is because we cannot go past June because of contracts/fitness etc.
Yes, we're looking at a scenario where the Scottish Premiership has secured an extra CL spot for next year, which could be worth around 50% of their revenue for the season, based on such impressive showings in the current year. Writing off the progress made in the coefficients could be the subject of a legal challenge given the loss of income on the table.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
More relevant at the moment is the question of whether and to what degree not voiding the 1918-1919 season during the crucial early months of the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918 (which eventually went on to claim multiple millions of lives, globally) contributed the rapid, wide spread of the disease. How many lives might the urge to get football up and running after WWI in order to foster the feeling that life was 'back to normal' have cost?
That is true but the important issue is not should football be played now or whilst even a small risk still exists (the answer is obviously no) but when it is safe to resume should this season be completed before another begins.

JoaquinJoaquin

Oh goodness me, that cnut of a girl sitting as guest on skysports news right now just called the vice chairman of West Ham United "Self Service" and "Self centered" for calling the season null and void. She is adamant that season must be completed, must be completed blah blah blah .........

But when Skysports presenter asked the question what about players being isolation, they will not be conditioned, trained, fit enough, no pre-season games... that girl had no answer and was just coming up with utter crap.
I watched Sunday Supplement yesterday (that's what it's came to ha) and it was utterly embarrassing how they wouldn't say anything bad about Liverpool.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I watched Sunday Supplement yesterday (that's what it's came to ha) and it was utterly embarrassing how they wouldn't say anything bad about Liverpool.
They’re part of the Scouse Media Mafia - our tentacles reach deep into all parts of the game.
Also the moon landing didn’t happen

Infra-red

I think this season will play out, personally. Between the pressure from the broadcasters and the potential ramifications for clubs if they void the season, i'm pretty certain they'll play it out in May/June or something. Be very surprised if they completely cancel it.
We'll just be reaching the peak number of infections in mid/late June and the entire country will be in complete lockdown, so there definitely won't be any football taking place.

Best case scenario for football starting up again, is probably September.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That is true but the important issue is not should football be played now or whilst even a small risk still exists (the answer is no) but when it is safe to resume should this season be completed before another begins.
I'm sure you're aware of the fact that it's only Liverpool fans and ex-players who care about the current season getting completed.

What does that tell you?

Nr.7

They should give Liverpool the title now so that we can all focus on the virus and then when that’s hopefully sorted we can see what’s the best solution. To void the season with Liverpool the only club in Europe with a domestic title or to finish the leagues and cups.
But give Liverpool the title cause that is the most important thing at the moment. Like Dalglish said, it would be out of orded to neglect Liverpool just because there’s a virus that’s deadly for a lot of people across the world.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
That is true but the important issue is not should football be played now or whilst even a small risk still exists (the answer is obviously no) but when it is safe to resume should this season be completed before another begins.
I don't think that's the important issue. The important issue revolves around how necessary is it to carry around a 'cryogenically frozen' incomplete season to reanimate at some point, and for how long that could be done, given that that point will in any case forever be seen as occurring in the aftermath of a worldwide health crisis. The 2019-20 season is now going to carry a taint by association; if it was to be brought back to life several months or a year on from now, it wouldn't be quite the same as deciding to delay the start of a cup final after a number of attending fans have been crushed to death in the lead-up to the kick-off, rather than rightly cancelling the match out of simple respect (I'm looking at you, 1985 European Cup Final), but the dilemma involved is broadly similar: you're being asked to ethically measure relative importance. Sometimes football is required to show that it knows its place in the grander scheme. Voiding and starting over would be one of the best ways.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They should give Liverpool the title now so that we can all focus on the virus and then when that’s hopefully sorted we can see what’s the best solution. To void the season with Liverpool the only club in Europe with a domestic title or to finish the leagues and cups.
But give Liverpool the title cause that is the most important thing at the moment. Like Dalglish said, it would be out of orded to neglect Liverpool just because there’s a virus that’s deadly for a lot of people across the world.
How can they give the title before they have officially won it outright?