Cricket:India's tour of England 2011

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I guess in India they have to balance between wanting their team to do well with an almost religious passion against a good effigy burning session, which I'm sure they enjoy just as much as wining a Test match.
Yeah we love to burn effigies. Although we still haven't burned the effigy of an individual player blaming him for the world cup exit ;)

KM

Weather delayed the toss..

KM

wtf? Was the coin too wet or something...:confused:
The Umpires have to inspect the pitch at 10:50. Toss will only happen after that.

Also rumors on twitter that Broad is playing this match.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The Umpires have to inspect the pitch at 10:50. Toss will only happen after that.

Also rumors on twitter that Broad is playing this match.
Fair enough, but they will have to have the toss anyway won't they? Why delay it because of the weather when the state of the weather has no bearing on the toss of a coin...

Team news from England: as expected, Stuart Broad has got the nod ahead of Tim Bresnan. Possibly a little fortuitous, possibly not entirely merited on form for country or county over the last six months.
This is not good, looks like the country is wearing a nappy today...:nervous:

Met Office: London & South East England: severe weather warnings

KM

India bowl first. Praveen Kumar playing.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Hoping an England wicket falls quickly so the draw odds increase.

The characteristics of the wicket and conditions should play into England's hands, but the weather should steer this match to a draw.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Fairly even session.
Barely any runs, but 21 overs of the new ball gone with only one wicket down.

Why is India's (and seemingly alot of sub-continent sides) fielding so bloody average and laboured!?

Zaheer is carrying a bit of extra weight aswell.

zing

Zingle balls
Fairly even session.
Barely any runs, but 21 overs of the new ball gone with only one wicket down.

Why is India's (and seemingly alot of sub-continent sides) fielding so bloody average and laboured!?

Zaheer is carrying a bit of extra weight aswell.
Our test side has mostly cricketers who broke through in the 90s and there was no professionalism back then. Some would argue that it's still not there, but there's a lot more focus on fielding now. Our ODI unit is quite good at fielding with the likes of Raina, Kohli, Rohit but our test side is the exact opposite.

zing

Zingle balls
One more wicket would be nice. It would open up the match a bit for us as Pietersen, Morgan aren't players who lock the gate down like Strauss, Trott do. Bell's still to come, though.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
You don't get more bowler friendly conditions in England than this. Anderson wil have a field day on this pitch. So India need another 2 wickets fast. Seems to me that their fast bowlers are good bowlers but they just lack that half yard of pace against the better batsman. Zaheer looks a tad bit undercooked, he needs more games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just got home to catch a bit off this. Early impressions are that we are still getting used to the surroundings. Our length definitely seems to be too short and Ishaant is aiming too much at Strauss' pads rather than off stump.

Bit disappointed to see that only 20 something overs have been bowled so far. If it continues like this could well be a snore draw.

amolbhatia50k

What a daft shot by Strauss.

Zaheer must be the most intelligent bowler in the world. Even when he's not bowling at his best he just gets wickets somehow.

Rams

One more wicket would be nice. It would open up the match a bit for us as Pietersen, Morgan aren't players who lock the gate down like Strauss, Trott do. Bell's still to come, though.
Pietersen is uniquely talented batsman who can score 100's even if the ball is moving side ways. KP is just as likely to get a duck on a flat pitch as he is to get a hundred on a grassy one.

Rams

What a daft shot by Strauss.

Zaheer must be the most intelligent bowler in the world. Even when he's not bowling at his best he just gets wickets somehow.
Zaheer is a world class bowler but that wasn't down to his inetlligence because he didn't bowl that one where he intended to..
Anyway, just the wicket India needed.

amolbhatia50k

Zaheer is a world class bowler but that wasn't down to his inetlligence because he didn't bowl that one where he intended to..
Anyway, just the wicket India needed.
It was short. What did he intend to do? Bowl a yorker? Point is he's just got a knack of getting wickets even if he's not bowling brilliantly. His variety and decision making in using that variety is fantastic. It's amazing how often I feel he's not really looking great but he'll shut me up by getting a wicket or two against the run of play.

KM

Trott really looks in very good touch at this moment.

Rams

It was short. What did he intend to do? Bowl a yorker? Point is he's just got a knack of getting wickets even if he's not bowling brilliantly. His variety and decision making in using that variety is fantastic. It's amazing how often I feel he's not really looking great but he'll shut me up by getting a wicket or two against the run of play.
He clearly dragged that one down a little bit mate.

KM

Typical indian bowling performance so far.
Just give it to Zaheer and hope for the best.

KM

Didn't realize KP was so hated in England. Hussain just said that English people love to hate KP.

amolbhatia50k

Didn't realize KP was so hated in England. Hussain just said that English people love to hate KP.
Didn't he just recently react angrily to a suggestion that he was English? That's enough reason.

He clearly dragged that one down a little bit mate.
Fair enough. My point was that in general he out thinks the batsman a lot of the time rather than always blowing them away with their brilliance.

Rain.

Pitch looks more bowler friendly than last months test. I reckon anything against Zaheer & co > 250 is very good in these conditions or India would have chosen to bat.
To be honest, I'll just be happy if we somehow draw this test. So I'm not too bothered if England get a big score as long as we do well with the bat. We're notoriously poor in the first test even in the series' we excel at (away from home).

Rams

You've got to win a cricket world cup to be taken seriously in the cricketing world.

'yeah but but but we invented it'.
The English do certainly not believe they are the best in Cricket. We've been so shite for so long there aren't any illusions left. However, this is clearly the strongest English test side I've seen since I first followed cricket in the 70's.

KM

Didn't he just recently react angrily to a suggestion that he was English? That's enough reason.
I'm not winding up the English here, but I don't think it's wrong actually. He isn't an Englishman. He is south african.

phelans shorts

The English do certainly not believe they are the best in Cricket. We've been so shite for so long there aren't any illusions left. However, this is clearly the strongest English test side I've seen since I first followed cricket in the 70's.
Yeah, this side gives us the feel of "we can be one of the best" rather than the smugness of feeling we're already there, mainly because cricket isn't as widely reported in the press as the football team meaning there is less bandwagon jumping.

amolbhatia50k

It certainly seems that way given the general talk. I'll admit I've not seen that much of this team. And it's the best period for Indian cricket ever.

So much better than Australia winning EVERYTHING. :)

KM

India's fielding has been awful so far. Extremely lethargic.