5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bakalhau

On the other hand constructing counter attacks he probably the best in the world, he understands like no other player I've seen how to make a counter attack work.
Thank you for that sentence. I think he's incredible in counter attacks too, one of the best around today. His one touch passing is pretty good still in my view, he's incredibly resourceful in how he can make a pass. In juve he had so many little flicks like today, that completely unlocked plays. He plays it simple too, looking to play quick, forward moving passes, keeping momentum. When he isn't receiving the ball, he still has deadly pace like shown against Germany a few months ago.

By the way, in the first goal he drags away one of the CBs, and Elanga immediately runs into the gap left by him. That was beautiful to watch from both, plus the pass. It's a shame United seem to do these things so rarely.

ManU Irish

For the next Utd Manager to have any chance, this overrated so called Utd Legend needs to go. Do people forget the past when all he wanted to do was go to Madrid? He only ever cared about himself and tonight he showed his true colours. Signing him cost Ole his job and Ralf tonight explaining himself on the side line showed a clear weakness and was embarrassing. Similar changes last Sat would have won us the game and a team player like Cavani who is much more important when fit, than Ronaldo would have not have acted the same way.

Strats

I think Rangnick caused that reaction. Every man and his dog knows Ronaldo would react like that when you substitute him when he hasn't scored a goal

if Rangnick kept him on the pitch you avoid the side story and media headlines of Ronaldo strop

so I blame Rangnick for not understanding the player

Ronaldo hasn't played for a few weeks he didn't need a rest. A 2 week break after the West Ham game too

no need to rest him. He's the freshest player right now. He needs minutes.
He's been injured.

So it was more than sensible to take him off having in mind that we're playing Villa on saturday and that he's thirty fecking seven.

I don't want us to keep doing what Ole did, which was running players to the ground.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bang on. It’s Ronaldo, people hate him because of how he looks and what he’s achieved. Whatcha going to do? *shrug*
There's a reason why I try, and clearly fail, to avoid this thread.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Pretty solid game, but he is such a crybaby.
I hate this kind of reaction as it is unfair against the team.
Hopefully Ralph will give a shit an bench whenever he thinks it is a good idea to do so. Not extra treatments.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That cushioned chest in the build up for our second. Viva Ronaldo!

His reaction after being subbed was terrible. However, that's Ronaldo.

The United

Thank you for that sentence. I think he's incredible in counter attacks too, one of the best around today. His one touch passing is pretty good still in my view, he's incredibly resourceful in how he can make a pass. In juve he had so many little flicks like today, that completely unlocked plays. He plays it simple too, looking to play quick, forward moving passes, keeping momentum. When he isn't receiving the ball, he still has deadly pace like shown against Germany a few months ago.

By the way, in the first goal he drags away one of the CBs, and Elanga immediately runs into the gap left by him. That was beautiful to watch from both, plus the pass. It's a shame United seem to do these things so rarely.
Yup, that was a good one. Without his CB moving to follow him, that space won't happen. Good for Fred to see it and passed it so well into it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Ralf wanted to bench him it’s probably justified as his goals have dried up. I loved the cushioned chest but his reaction to getting subbed really rubbed me the wrong way.

Gordon S

He is done at this level, a handful of good actions per game is not good enough for a starting striker in our team. Stark contrast to the monster of player we had before. Should use him as an impact sub these days.

Dan_F

I wouldn’t worry about the moaning after the sub. It looked to me like he was nodding as Ralf was explaining stuff to him after Rashford scored.

Obviously I have no idea what he was saying, it could have been tactically explaining how the sub caused the goal or that Rashford needed the confidence and that was the rationale. Either way, that kind of thing strengthens Ralf’s hand to those that haven’t warmed to him in the squad.

youngrell

Ronaldo was stropping about being subbed when he was Elanga’s age for Christ sake, it’s nothing new.

Thought he was better tonight than some of his recent showings. Better touches and got involved in some build up play.

Needs to stop trying to force shots through defenders a yard in front of him though.

SonyaCross493

Ronaldo will be shooting on site against West Ham now.. He desperately needs a goal to settle him down.. I hope the team can help him

like I said strikers live on goals and when they are not scoring they are not happy and low on confidence. It's normal maybe not for a 37 year old but this is not a normal 37 year old.

to have that reaction at 37 years old.. Rio said it's a good thing as it shows he isn't a mercenary just picking up his salary not caring.

hopefully he can score a goal against West Ham and the team can help him. I really hope so..

Rustyspider13

The moment his number came up on the board I knew Ronnie was gonna go ballistic. That mentality is the one thing that hasn't changed in all these years. He needs to be managed for his well-being and for the good of the team and I'm glad Ralf is making the hard call that Ole often didn't make. Ralf probably rationalized to Ronaldo that "Look, Marcus desperately needed that goal and Maguire needs the minutes. We need you against West Ham so just relax and recover." Ronaldo is the ultimate professional and in time will respect Ralf if the team benefits. So, I'm not really worried about that reaction.

RepardReece

There's a reason why I try, and clearly fail, to avoid this thread.
It really does surprise me how many people constantly berate this man in this thread. Can't believe many of them are United fans really. Or football fans actually, his crying on the pitch does annoy me at times, as does Brunos, but their passion to play to the best of their ability is next to none in our squad. That's something we really haven't seen post SAF and it's good to see players finally coming into the squad that provides that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wouldn’t worry about the moaning after the sub. It looked to me like he was nodding as Ralf was explaining stuff to him after Rashford scored.

Obviously I have no idea what he was saying, it could have been tactically explaining how the sub caused the goal or that Rashford needed the confidence and that was the rationale. Either way, that kind of thing strengthens Ralf’s hand to those that haven’t warmed to him in the squad.
Yeah, looked like him and Ralf buried the hatchet. He’ll get over it and that’s the attitude that makes him the best. Unfortunately the attitude will persist long after his talent deserts him. And the ratio of talent to attitude is already trending in the wrong direction .

Gottabekiddingme

He is done at this level, a handful of good actions per game is not good enough for a starting striker in our team. Stark contrast to the monster of player we had before. Should use him as an impact sub these days.
Again with this BS? He had the fewest touches on the pitch in all his prime years in Real Madrid and Juventus. He's built his legacy on finding the right moments. It's more about the team not providing him with scoring chances if anything.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It really does surprise me how many people constantly berate this man in this thread. Can't believe many of them are United fans really. Or football fans actually, his crying on the pitch does annoy me at times, as does Brunos, but their passion to play to the best of their ability is next to none in our squad. That's something we really haven't seen post SAF and it's good to see players finally coming into the squad that provides that.
I look at it this way, does his moaning make his performance worse? For Ronaldo, no; so I don't care. If it bothers the player then they need to grow a pair, he's one of the greatest, done it all and knows what it takes.

Also, it doesn't bother SAF. That's good enough for me.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Pretty solid game, but he is such a crybaby.
I hate this kind of reaction as it is unfair against the team.
Hopefully Ralph will give a shit an bench whenever he thinks it is a good idea to do so. Not extra treatments.
totally agree. Gives an interview about how much he cares about the team winning; well he should have skipped off then shouldn’t he? All about him, always has been, always will be. Was average at best until that point too - all this ‘did you see his world class chest pass’ stuff is so cringeworthy too. Narrative should be a solid (needed!) 3 points and 3 goals not him grabbing headlines.

IhabX7

Great vision and execution for the chest pass. Did well in the 2nd half, clearly dying to score though. The tantrum was over with, he will start against West Ham and hopefully gets on the scoresheet. We need him firing for the 2nd half of the season.

IhabX7

totally agree. Gives an interview about how much he cares about the team winning; well he should have skipped off then shouldn’t he? All about him, always has been, always will be. Was average at best until that point too - all this ‘did you see his world class chest pass’ stuff is so cringeworthy too. Narrative should be a solid (needed!) 3 points and 3 goals not him grabbing headlines.
It’s not about the headlines dummy. He hasn’t scored for a long time and he lives on that. He’s the greatest scorer of all time for that reason.

SonyaCross493

The opposition defenders always focus on Ronaldo and desperate not to see him score against them grabbing his shirt, staying tightly to him like glue etc.. Not often you see him unmarked on the back post for a free header or something.. and if he was we wouldn't cross the ball for him for him to score anyway! We don't play to his strengths at all.

makes it much harder to score goals especially at 37 years old .. But the positive is that it leaves more space for the younger players like Greenwood, Elanga and Rashford to score because the opposition is obsessed with stopping Ronaldo

Resting him for West Ham makes no sense when after West Ham there is a 2 week break for him to rest after already having a 3 week break before this game due to injury how much rest does he need.. Someone said he lacks match sharpness well that only comes from playing minutes..

Last edited:

Joel Miller

Bang on. It’s Ronaldo, people hate him because of how he looks and what he’s achieved. Whatcha going to do? *shrug*
How he looks? The obsession with defending him at all costs is borderline creepy at times.

He was completely disrespectful and fans are right to be disappointed with his behaviour coming off, particularly at his age. 36 years old and still behaves like a spoiled child. Footballs a team game, though that concept might be lost on people who support players rather than clubs.

MrEleson

He had worse tantrums playing under SAF who still coddled him. That's just how he is for better or for worse.

SirAF

Ageist
How he looks? The obsession with defending him at all costs is borderline creepy at times.

He was completely disrespectful and fans are right to be disappointed with his behaviour coming off, particularly at his age. 36 years old and still behaves like a spoiled child. Footballs a team game, though that concept might be lost on people who support players rather than clubs.
Bollocks. The only obsession lies with the haters.

RepardReece

If you think he moaned to grab the headlines and doesn't care about the team winning, then I really don't know what to say.

This kind of reaction that he had is based on his attitude, and his attitude is what has turned him into one of the great players of football.

Dve

"It´s all about the team winning", and celebrates our 3rd goal by still sulking over being subbed? For all he has done, liking this guy on a personal level is still a struggle.

Mainoldo

Hopefully his last season. We will not evolve as a team playing to feed him.

Tantrum stuff is just normal Ronaldo. It‘s refreshing to see when he’s not at your club. But when he is, you just have to suck it up.

SonyaCross493

There's no guarantee Ronaldo will score a goal against West Ham at the weekend either just because he was substituted tonight. I don't get Rangnicks logic. and then it's another 2 weeks before we play a match again.. imagine he doesn't score against West Ham at the weekend that's a whole 2 weeks of media/press stories about the media and press criticising Ronaldo not scoring for ages on a goal drought, unhappy, frustrated etc it's a sideshow but it's a sideshow Rangnick has created as he would've scored tonight if he stayed on the pitch. Rangnick will learn very quickly that you can't manage Ronaldo like any other player.

Momentum is massive in football especially for strikers and if he scored against Brentford tonight he would go into the West Ham game full of confidence.. now he will go into the game not happy, frustrated and desperate to score so expect him to try his hardest to score so shoot on site from minute 1.

he needs a goal to relax and calm him down as he hasn't scored a goal for awhile over a month I think. That's what his teammates should be trying to do against West Ham try and help him get his confidence back with a goal as a happy and settled Ronaldo is good for the team. He plays more freely etc and the team needs that to get top 4.

clearly Ronaldo is not happy right now. The smile has gone. He desperately needs a goal to bring that smile back. I hope he gets that goal against West Ham at the weekend.. it'll be nice to see his team-mates help to try to lift his mood and confidence by trying to feed him and playing more unselfish especially the young players as they scored tonight. Ronaldo hasn't scored a goal in over a month a think. He needs it more.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Rangnick caused that reaction. Every man and his dog knows Ronaldo would react like that when you substitute him when he hasn't scored a goal

if Rangnick kept him on the pitch you avoid the side story and media headlines of Ronaldo strop

so I blame Rangnick for not understanding the player
So it's player's responsibility to decide if he plays or not?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ah yes, where the defender took it off Elanga and it dropped to Ronaldo approximately 2 inches away from the brentford defenders shins. Old Ronaldo would have broken both his shins with the ferocity and sheer sex appeal of his shot.
Nice attempt to be cheeky but yes, you find space and smash it in giving no chance for a block. Now like I said idk if this is an age thing or a one off but it's something that can be improved.

captaincantona

There's no guarantee Ronaldo will score a goal against West Ham either just because he was substituted tonight. I don't get Rangnicks logic.

Momentum is massive in football and if he scored against Brentford tonight he would go into the West Ham game full of confidence.. now he will go into the game not happy, frustrated and desperate to score so expect him to try his hardest to score so shoot on site

he needs a goal to relax and calm him down. That's what his teammates should be trying to do against West Ham try and help him get his confidence back with a goal as a happy Ronaldo is good for the team.
You are a comedian.

SirAF

Ageist
So it's player's responsibility to decide if he plays or not?
Normally, no. However, Ronaldo is not a normal player. He is the greatest footballer to ever play the game, let alone play for United. It’s baffling how people doesn’t understand that.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Worst yet he got subbed
Normally, no. However, Ronaldo is not a normal player. He is the greatest footballer to ever play the game, let alone play for United. It’s baffling how people doesn’t understand that.
Some can't begin to comprehend the caliber of a player he is and he plays for us. It's mindboggling. Worst yet he got subbed for Maguire. I would be mad being subbed for that waste of space too.

Walters_19_MuFc

Other than his chest control to Bruno, which I felt was superb and got us that all important second goal, I felt he was quite poor. Too many flicks and tricks that didn't come off and really struggled to hold the ball up.

He was rightfully taken off, although RR would tell you it was because of his injury not his performance.

Hopefully he has a better game vs West Ham.

vanderstar

Love the reaction. It's honest. He hates being subbed. He wants to play because he "knows" he will score. He is so committed to scoring he feels ill if he hasn't. People think his reaction is bad. So emotions are bad. Thank god for Martial then...

Greck

That was the final straw for me. Turns out some players really are bigger than the team then. Ronaldo shouldn't even be starting every game talk less of finishing every game. No hold up, no ball carrying, so-so linkup ability. The flanking inside forwards are stuck facilitating him because he doesn't even vacate central areas to let them drive into the middle. God forbid he makes a diagonal run out of the box.

We've become PSG without the domestic titles. The amount of player fanboying among us is also ridiculous. None of them are even that great but every day some fanboy is saying the manager to reconstruct the entire gameplan and sub pattern around some above average at best contributor. Perhaps it's been so long since so we've forgotten what real world class looks like.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Everyone understands that (well, not everyone agrees greatest ever but close enough) What his uber fans like you don’t understand is that he’s a shadow of the player he once was. And the attitude that made him so great could be a huge problem as his abilities continue to wane. I don’t think the strop tonight is a big deal and everyone involved will get over it soon enough but it’s an obvious red flag about dressing room harmony in the future and when he contributes as little as he’s done in his last few games it’s reasonable to ask is he worth all the drama?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Everyone understands that (well, not everyone agrees greatest ever but close enough) What his uber fans like you don’t understand is that he’s a shadow of the player he once was. And the attitude that made him so great could be a huge problem as his abilities continue to wane. I don’t think the strop tonight is a big deal and everyone involved will get over it soon enough but it’s an obvious red flag about dressing room harmony in the future.
Bruno did the same thing under Ole. Players do it all the time. It shows no red flag at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.