Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFC 1905

Always amuses me when he's described as clinical.
Ronaldo is the opposite to the definition of clinical. Messi is clinical and chooses where to shoot. Ronaldo is more about power (80% power and 30 direction I'd say)

But today he was just unlucky. This game reminded me to Messi's game against Colombia in CA2015. He was unlucky back then and couldn't score a goal in the entire Copa America. The thing is Messi played incredibly even if he didn't score and generated a lot of situations for Arg, while Ronaldo can't generate anything on his own since the time he was at United.

montpelier

I ve already answered to this. You didn't get it.

I am raising a question.
Can you say he is overhyped?
I say YES, in terms of how big a player he is. Comparing him to the great ones is nonsense.
Comparing him to really overhyped players, Denilson for example, is nonsense, too.

His longevity is superb, but he will never be a maestro with real balls.
Ah, right. OK. Sorry about that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Do people even read the comments?

I am raising a question.
Can you say he is overhyped?
I say YES, in terms of how big a player he is. Comparing him to the great ones is nonsense.
Comparing him to really overhyped players, Denilson for example, is nonsense, too.

His longevity is superb, but he will never be a maestro with real balls.
I can read. it's complete nonsense.

Flying_Heckfish

Neither coexisted with Messi - so there. If you put each of these players in a time period by themselves they would be comparably dominant.
I'd love to have seen the likes of Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo etc playing in that defensive period we saw around the early 00's

redwar

Neither coexisted with Messi - so there. If you put each of these players in a time period by themselves they would be comparably dominant.
Of course, football has changed, pace and stamina changed, but you can talk about trophies and of course the personality of a winner.
Maradona was the best in his period, not only because he was the best in terms of technique, but because he produced his best football when it mattered. That's what Ronaldo and Messi lack.

IFC 1905

Ronaldo is an incredible player but he isn't a genius. That's it. He's like...ten shin han and Maradona, Pele, Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho and others are super saijans.

:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course, football has changed, pace and stamina changed, but you can talk about trophies and of course the personality of a winner.
Maradona was the best in his period, not only because he was the best in terms of technique, but because he produced his best football when it mattered. That's what Ronaldo and Messi lack.
I've got to HAND it to Maradona. He sure knew how to win World Cup's without cheating.

IFC 1905

Messi lacks nothing. He produced the best football at the champions league KO stages, he's been ok at the WC2014 and 2010 (this is my opinion) and he's been great at Copa America 2015, WCQ2014 and WCQ2018.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd love to have seen the likes of Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo etc playing in that defensive period we saw around the early 00's
I reckon they'd all be comparably dominant irrespective of the era. The only thing that separates most of them is the misfortune of being compared to one another because they played at the same time.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He's a glorified poacher who excels at penalties and tap ins. To even compare him to Maradona is an insult.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So winning all those league titles, CLs, other cups between them doesn't matter shit because they didn't win it on international stage?

Here we fecking go again, same ol' same ol', type of shit like 'Is Messi better than Maradona' when he inevitably fails to win shit with Argentina.

Flying_Heckfish

It is strange how the two standout players of this generation have not hit the heights of previous legends on the international stage.

Is it a case of the club teams being built around them (with the wealth of options selecting from different nationalities provide) or is it more a case of the waning importance the players put on internationals, compared to previous generations?

Would hate for it to be the latter but there is an argument towards it.

montpelier

It is strange how the two standout players of this generation have not hit the heights of previous legends on the international stage.

Is it a case of the club teams being built around them (with the wealth of options selecting from different nationalities provide) or is it more a case of the waning importance the players put on internationals, compared to previous generations?

There's a time & a place for this kind of sensible input & I don't think this is it.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
So winning all those league titles, CLs, other cups between them doesn't matter shit because they didn't win it on international stage?

Here we fecking go again, same ol' same ol', type of shit like 'Is Messi better than Maradona' when he inevitably fails to win shit with Argentina.
He's up there with Maradona though. It's not unfair to Messi if people are saying he is better than him.

He's played some of the best football of any player to ever play the game.

Flying_Heckfish

I reckon they'd all be comparably dominant irrespective of the era. The only thing that separates most of them is the misfortune of being compared to one another because they played at the same time.
It would have been interesting. We were crying out for it at the time (neutrals/spectators especially).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

It's a ridiculous argument.

IFC 1905

The most incredible thing is that if it wasn't because of Higuain or Palacios Messi would've won more than Maradona in Argentina.

Messi has played 2 finals in a row and you wonder how is that bad...

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's up there with Maradona though. It's not unfair to Messi if people are saying he is better than him.

He's played some of the best football of any player to ever play the game.
I know, there're preferences and such, but I'm not adopting that shitty elitist-like attitude that there's no place for discussion because Maradona won with Argentina end of thread, one you can see redwar oozing with.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He'll go down as one of the greatest players ever and his goal scoring record is incredible but I don't recall ever seeing a player who plays for himself as much as he does. I know he contributes massively through large amounts of goals but there are plenty of times where he costs his team as well - not necessarily his penalty miss (which could happen to anyone) and actually thought he did OK tonight but the likes of insisting on shooting for 40+ yards on free kicks is just moronic. It's as if he thinks of personal contribution through goals only and could be a better player and captain if he learned when to play for the team and when to do it himself. Ego is important but I'd expect a player of his pedigree and experience to be better at controlling it for the sake of winning the game.

Probably harsh given his record but...
Good post. Its one of the few criticisms I've had of him over the years. If he could have blended his talent with being a bit more team oriented, he would have had even more success over the years.

The Firestarter

Football was not so commercialized back then. It was not viewed as much as a business. Today its all about the $$$. Too many games, and when the time comes for an international tournament, the top players are usually mentally and physically drained.

On your other point, I think in South America in particular the importance of international football has not waned. In Europe there may be a little decline in interest compared to club football.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
This isn't the RvN thread.
That's all he does in games now. He's never the driving figure for his team. He's always on the periphery waiting to strike. That's why I call him a glorified poacher. It sounds harsh because we associate poachers with talentless guys who just score scrappy goals from a few yards out and he's obviously of a level way, way above that but his impact and what he brings is not too dissimilar at all.

Comparisons with guys like Maradona (and the inevitable Messi) are wide of the mark. Those guys pick the ball up deep, play world class passes, beat men with ease, create chances and totally dominate the game. Ronaldo simply doesn't offer this to his side at all. He's like a goalscoring robot.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Would it help if we splashed some Brut on before posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.