Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I didn't claim it is flat out hollow, I said "there's a certain kind of 'hollowness" to it. This is because winning the European Cup should mean that you're the best team in Europe and you can't claim that if you don't win your own domestic league as well.

I'm not saying that it isn't a great achievement.
Completely agree. League + CL is basically best in Europe status.

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Curious to know what you make of a league champion that doesn't win the domestic Cup. If you win a domestic Cup (like the FA Cup), you should by your own logic, be the best team in the land. Same for the league of course. So, err, does missing on one make the other "hollow" or "sort of hollow"?
Winning the domestic cup doesn't come with the title of being the best team in the land
What Cassidy said.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I think Real Madrid will win the 'double' this time around. I don't mean to offend anyone but this time around the competition is less fierce (Atleti, Juve, Monaco) and I was actually surprised with how FCB fans were so optimistic after winning the Clasico when there was still a game in hand for RM.

midnightmare

Winning the domestic cup doesn't come with the title of being the best team in the land
Nothing comes with an assurance or a certainty. These "titles" are bestowed by the media; the league certainly doesn't hand out anything more than the winner's trophy proclaiming the team "the league winners". These are all different competitions and different formats. For example, this season, Real will most likely win the league and could also win the CL, but Barca won the Supercopa, have the better H2H and will probably also win the Copa del Rey. Who would you rate as "the best team in the land"? The fact is that the league crowns the most consistent team in the land and the "best" etc. is highly subjective.

E.g. a team could potentially lose out to the teams in second and third both home and away and still walk away with the league title. Not too fanciful if they're just consistent against the lesser lights. They could then follow this up by losing the domestic Cup to one of those teams too. Now, who's "better"? Is "consistency" better? Or H2H? So I don't see why we should start thinking of "hollowness" or wins etc. The CL is the most prestigious competition in European football for a reason... let's not try to lessen it, eh?

Also, you're missing a very important point. Real and Madridistas live for the CL. For them, the league title is not as high as the CL in their priorities for the season. This is the tournament that the club values above all else and nothing - not even losing the league title to Atleti or Barca - can take away the slightest bit of sheen from a CL crown.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nothing comes with an assurance or a certainty. These "titles" are bestowed by the media; the league certainly doesn't hand out anything more than the winner's trophy proclaiming the team "the league winners". These are all different competitions and different formats. For example, this season, Real will most likely win the league and could also win the CL, but Barca won the Supercopa, have the better H2H and will probably also win the Copa del Rey. Who would you rate as "the best team in the land"? The fact is that the league crowns the most consistent team in the land and the "best" etc. is highly subjective.

E.g. a team could potentially lose out to the teams in second and third both home and away and still walk away with the league title. Not too fanciful if they're just consistent against the lesser lights. They could then follow this up by losing the domestic Cup to one of those teams too. Now, who's "better"? Is "consistency" better? Or H2H? So I don't see why we should start thinking of "hollowness" or wins etc. The CL is the most prestigious competition in European football for a reason... let's not try to lessen it, eh?

Also, you're missing a very important point. Real and Madridistas live for the CL. For them, the league title is not as high as the CL in their priorities for the season. This is the tournament that the club values above all else and nothing - not even losing the league title to Atleti or Barca - can take away the slightest bit of sheen from a CL crown.
Does any club value any league title more than the CL? :confused:

midnightmare

Does any club value any league title more than the CL? :confused:
Not to my mind - but @Kinsella has implied that winning the CL without the league title gives it "a certain kind of hollowness".
Also, while all clubs may value the CL higher, I think Real just value it far more than any other club's supporters. They've won it a lot more times than others, but somehow that only seems to increase the desire for the CL trophy above all others.
Didn't mean to imply that others don't, but that Real value it more than any other club...

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not to my mind - but @Cassidy has implied that winning the CL without the league title gives it "a certain kind of hollowness".
Also, while all clubs may value the CL higher, I think Real just value it far more than any other club's supporters. They've won it a lot more times than others, but somehow that only seems to increase the desire for the CL trophy above all others.
Didn't mean to imply that others don't, but that Real value it more than any other club...
I said nothing of the sort, you got the wrong guy mate.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona

The league title and the CL go hand in hand. Until 1992 you wouldn't even get to play in the European Cup if you didn't win the title in your country. Rules might have changed, in order to allow rich teams to play in the Champions League even while not being champions, but the overall meaning of the Domestic League + European Cup duology still exists for many many fans.

You are the best team in your country, then you fight to be the best team in Europe. One without the other doesn't have the same meaning. There's winning the Champions League, and winning the title of the best team in Europe. CL alone doesn't give you that title. It's a part in the season, not the season.

When you have 38 games to play and you don't end up first, that means you can't be the best team in the world. There's no twisting that. Every team plays with each other, luck evens out, the best team wins 99% of the time.

Revan

Assumptionman
For all the 'he is just a poacher' critics, he also leads the assist table in UCL, with 7 assists more than Messi (Giggs is on second place). He is a complete player, like it or not.

TrueRed79

And to think we sold him for a measly £80 million to those shit stains....

SirAF

Ageist
And to think we sold him for a measly £80 million to those shit stains....
We have to look at the fee in the context of the market back then, 80m (cash up front) was an extraordinary offer. Obviously, knowing what we know today even 150m would have been "cheap".

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
@Sly, I think you'll like this and it might take your mind off Sporting for a bit

It contains Cristiano casually catching the subway with Quaresma, him calling a PlayStation expensive, watching 9-11 and saying he couldn't believe he was playing alongside the likes of Pedro Barbosa and Rui Bento. It's surreal looking back at this

Deleted member 101472

He has been managed exceptionally well by Zidane in the past month.

I'm starting to see a player who cares a bit more about the team. Noticed a lot of his goal celebrations seem focussed on teammates and he looks like he genuinely loves being a part of everything and not just his goal tally.

Hazard will be an assist machine if he goes to Real, fully expect a 40 league goal season next year for CR7.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Sly, I think you'll like this and it might take your mind off Sporting for a bit

It contains Cristiano casually catching the subway with Quaresma, him calling a PlayStation expensive, watching 9-11 and saying he couldn't believe he was playing alongside the likes of Pedro Barbosa and Rui Bento. It's surreal looking back at this
Thks for that mate. Nothing like going to Alvalade in the morning just to spoil the rest of your weekend :mad:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Juventus get ready :smirk:

:drool:

JeffBoomTetris

Juventus are so going to lose.

Cristiano will either score a hattrick. Or he'll do nothing all game, score a penalty and rip his shirt off. There is no middle ground for him

Deleted member 101472

Pop quiz: when was the last time Ronaldo scored the only goal in a 1-0 win

Status
Not open for further replies.