Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldyella

In hindsight that was a very smart move.
Think ETH has handled this all incredibly well. Has basically given him enough rope to hang himself with captaincy, and plenty of opportunities to turn his form around, and looked like the peacemaker, while Ronaldo has looked like a petulant child.

the_cliff

So do we reckon CR has been holding back performance wise so that he can throw everything at this WC, his last hurrah? Or is he genuinely done at the top level?
Considering his performances for Portugal over the last 12 months I highly doubt it.

Gums

I don’t post much, but that Twitter thread is a massive pile of horseshit. Just wow.

Ronaldo, Peterson, Trump, et al. know that once you have a large enough, loyal following, content doesn’t matter. It’s only about whose side you’re on. They play their followers like fiddles.

Tony247

Think ETH has handled this all incredibly well. Has basically given him enough rope to hang himself with captaincy, and plenty of opportunities to turn his form around, and looked like the peacemaker, while Ronaldo has looked like a petulant child.
True. ETH has handled this smartly so far.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
While he's not wrong about the Glazers, all that is matters now is how and when he leaves and - much more importantly - who we get in (to replace him?). PS I still think Piers Morgan is a bigger tool...

simplyared

Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo (CR7). The latter no doubt the more gifted footballer but both with extremely similar mindsets.
They need to be no 1 wherever they go. When they're not they can't deal with it and they become a liability.
Zlatan had a problem with Messi getting all the attention at Barcelona. Same at PSG with Cavani.
Ronaldo when Bale signed for Real Madrid is another example.
Now its Bruno Fernandes, Rashford and a young Argentinian kid who's "stealing" all the limelight.
What he's doing now is an attempt to draw attention to himself because he knows he can't do it on the pitch any longer.
The fact he's slagging off former teammates, current staff, etc in the process he doesn't give a feck about!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Was he that bad at the start though?
He has always been terrible in my view. I don't think there are worse personalities than the narcisist who is successful. It's just never their fault.

In his early days before the PR machine he could be extremely silly. As an example, he purposely antagonized all Porto and Benfica fans in his Manchester United first tenure. Once, he gave the finger to Benfica fans at their stadium (because they whistled at him during the game). And when he scored the Puskas goal, at the flash interview, he refused to answer any question and just repeated two or three times with his most punchable face "I am very happy to have scored against Porto."

Now I see nothing particularly bad about those attitudes in particular, some players chose to act as fans against rivals. Quaresma for example probably looks like a massive idiot to Sporting fans but he couldn't care less. Guys like Figo or Moutinho were eternally booed in some stadiums for some actions in their careers and they just took it normally, they knew that was the normal consequence of what they had chosen to do. It's the innability to own up to the actions that makes narcisists unbearable. It was famous at the time a prime time TV interview with Ronaldo, when asked why so many people (non sporting fans, basically) disliked him and he answered "because I'm rich, good looking and score lots of goals".

Booing players is the most normal thing in Portugal, if you left a rival club not too long ago. I know a few in here took exception to that, and I fogured it's not as normal in England, but it's a run-of-the-mill thing here, it would take someone very precious to care about that. If you want to give the finger to 75% of football fans in your country just own up to it, don't go crying and saying it's because they envy you. I envy any profession footballer.

As he entered the debate about being the best in the world, and with a bit of enterprise level PR care, throughout the years that image changed a lot, and most Portuguese fans, unlike me, started to like him, and always catered to him after he became successful. There's no serious criticisim for his attitude as a person. Now that he wanes, it starts appearing here too as well. That's the sort of fans these guys get.

I think he's fake as shit, I was always impressed that so many just fall for his obviously hipocriticial attitudes. I'm particularly impressed that so many people in here thought he had special feelings for United, or that people here compliment him as "a great captain" - when I started watching football, there's no way a guy like Ronaldo would ever get near a captain armband, at any club. And people believe the crap other less successful players have to go on about how they all love working with him. Right.

He probably envies Bebe as ridiculous as that sounds. You just need to understand the type.

Disclaimer, I'm anti-patriotisms, so I tend to hate any collective obsessions of my countrymen. I certainly have a bias against Ronaldo. I disliked Figo too, for example, but just as an unlikeable typically arrogant rival, a lot easier to respect because he was a lot more natural.

The only thing separating this guy from the sorts of Trump or Musk is that his role in society makes him inconsequential compared to those psychos, but I see no differences in their poise, so he gets the same level of respect they get from me.

Mind, I'm talking about how he strikes me as a person. No football involved. By criticizing his "fans" I don't mean his football fans, I mean his personal fans.

Last edited:

SirSean

Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo (CR7). The latter no doubt the more gifted footballer but both with extremely similar mindsets.
They need to be no 1 wherever they go. When they're not they can't deal with it and they become a liability.
Zlatan had a problem with Messi getting all the attention at Barcelona. Same at PSG with Cavani.
Ronaldo when Bale signed for Real Madrid is another example.
Now its Bruno Fernandes, Rashford and a young Argentinian kid who's "stealing" all the limelight.
What he's doing now is an attempt to draw attention to himself because he knows he can't do it on the pitch any longer.
The fact he's slagging off former teammates, current staff, etc in the process he doesn't give a feck about!
Zlatan seems more than fine with his second-string role at AC Milan during his un-injured time there lately. I think Zlatan accepts that age does come with a price in terms of how often he plays and where he is, in the pecking order. What Ronaldo is doing right now, I'd never imagine him doing that to the club that brought him up - maybe to Juventus or another club, but to United? Heck no. He is ruining his legacy here more than Solskajer did during his tenure as manager. Solskjaer never once stepped on United - quite the opposite. Ronaldo bears no respect.

This whole "I don't respect him 'cause he doesn't respect me" is such childish bulls**t. No matter how big of a player you are, you are never entitled to anyone's respect, it's got to be earned.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Calling out opinions you disagree with is perfectly fine. Name calling is childish. These two things are completely different and you failed to make that distinction.

If your complaint is purely about name-calling and childish insults you have a point. If you wade in and tell people they shouldn't call out opinions they disagree with then you're being a bit ridiculous quite frankly. I don't really understand how you're trying to claim the two things are the same.
Apologies if I haven't a succinct as perhaps I should have been in my original post, but to me it was pretty clear.

We have a bunch of people on here calling people who have a different opinion to them fanbois, cultists, deluded etc, and calling their support for the club in question.
All because they have a different viewpoint.

It's not needed, just ignore the defenders just as we should ignore what's been said in the interviews, Ronaldo has gone, he will no longer be an issue moving forward.
He shouldn't be given the attention he craves,.

slored1

Thankyou. A sensible post amongst a pile of garbage. I don’t know why people are raging so bad. It’s nothing we don’t know about him. Other than ten hag stuff there’s nothing in that interview which is shocking. People getting angry over him not calling some former players his friends:lol::lol:
Over reacting bunch of people on this forum.
Really? The apparent senior menthor and superstar goes to a right-wing twat to moan about the team, undermine the manager and everything else he finds wrong? On the day where an 18-year old wins the game in the last minute. Absolutely cnutish move from Ronaldo, putting again the focus onto himself.

JagUTD

Saw this quote from Ronaldo. Can't post images or links bit anyone know of its true. Apparently he wasn't happy about the quality of the toast in the canteen.

"One day I'm going to Manchester to Old Trafford.
In the morning I go down to eat a breakfast
I tell the chef I wanna two pieces of toast
He brings me only one piece
I tell him I want two piece
He says go to the toilet
I say, you no understand I want 2 piece on my plate
He says you better no piss on the plate you son of a bitch!
I don't even know the guy and he callin' me a son of a bitch
I don't need this shit"

I can sympathise with him on this after a similar incident involving a fork and table.

Infestissumam

he was given the whole preseason tour off and was allowed to come back on his own terms. Not sure what the club could have done better there.

Hoof the ball

Suggesting his criticism of the Glazers is just to appease fans. That's an unsubstantiated theory - hearsay.
It may be grounded in legitimate opinion, however, the method and indeed the timing of it is self-serving. It's not for the fans and it's not for the club. It's for Cristiano.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
This thread kinda fleshes out some of the ETH situation on why Ronaldo might feel aggrieved.
Although doesn’t address the digs at Rooney and Neville,
lots of naive assumptions embedded in that thread. There’s no way ETH could have played Ronaldo into form and his performance last season isn’t a legitimate enough reason. Ronaldo didn’t fit the system as he lacked the required mobility up front. He was a liability.

MUFC OK

It may be grounded in legitimate opinion, however, the method and indeed the timing of it is self-serving. It's not for the fans and it's not for the club. It's for Cristiano.

Not like he hasn’t eluded to it before. You’re right though, he’s doing for himself in that he wants to make it impossible for him to continue at Utd. And he’s succeeded.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Considering his performances for Portugal over the last 12 months I highly doubt it.
This is his last WC lets see if he can do
I hope he does have a good tournament as you want to see good players playing well and playing good football, and I think Messi will have a really good tournament so maybe that will spur him on to push every last bit of effort out of that 37 year old frame. Then again after the interview I also kinda hope he does doesnt get much game tile and has to watch Messi dazzle his way to lifting the trophy :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This thread kinda fleshes out some of the ETH situation on why Ronaldo might feel aggrieved.
Although doesn’t address the digs at Rooney and Neville,
What a pile of nonsense :lol:

Ronaldo didn't start the season as he missed the preseason, he was barely match fit. When he played, he stunk up the pitch and always ended up as the worst player among the 22-28 players on the pitch and that needs some dedication.

Kag

The Portuguese administration can’t be happy either. What a way to spoil preparations for the upcoming matches. What a way to ensure that you’ll play every minute regardless of form.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Suggesting his criticism of the Glazers is just to appease fans. That's an unsubstantiated theory - hearsay.
The timing and context of it make it obvious. Just like nobody actually believes Trump when he says he's the least racist person you'll ever meet, Ronaldo isn't fooling anyone except the devotees.

Skills

Snitch
He has always been terrible in my view. I don't think there are worse personalities than the narcisist who is successful. It's just never their fault.

In his early days before the PR machine he could be extremely silly. As an example, he purposely antagonized all Porto and Benfica fans in his Manchester United first tenure. Once, he gave the finger to Benfica fans at their stadium (because they whistled at him during the game). And when he scored the Puskas goal, at the flash interview, he refused to answer any question and just repeated two or three times with his most punchable face "I am very happy to have scored against Porto."

Now I see nothing particularly bad about those attitudes in particular, some players chose to act as fans against rivals. Quaresma for example probably looks like a massive idiot to Sporting fans but he couldn't care less. Guys like Figo or Moutinho were eternally booed in some stadiums for some actions in their careers and they just took it normally, they knew that was the normal consequence of what they had chosen to do. It's the innability to own up to the actions that makes narcisists unbearable. It was famous at the time a prime time TV interview with Ronaldo, when asked why so many people (non sporting fans, basically) disliked him and he answered "because I'm rich, good looking and score lots of goals".

Booing players is the most normal thing in Portugal, if you left a rival club not too long ago. I know a few in here took exception to that, and I fogured it's not as normal in England, but it's a run-of-the-mill thing here, it would take someone very precious to care about that. If you want to give the finger to 75% of football fans in your country just own up to it, don't go crying and saying it's because they envy you. I envy any profession footballer.

As he entered the debate about being the best in the world, and with a bit of enterprise level PR care, throughout the years that image changed a lot, and most Portuguese fans, unlike me, started to like him, and always catered to him after he became successful. There's no serious criticisim for his attitude as a person. Now that he wanes, it starts appearing here too as well. That's the sort of fans these guys get.

I think he's fake as shit, I was always impressed that so many just fall for his obviously hipocriticial attitudes. I'm particularly impressed that so many people in here thought he had special feelings for United, or that people here compliment him as "a great captain" - when I started watching football, there's no way a guy like Ronaldo would ever get near a captain armband, at any club. And people believe the crap other less successful players have to go on about how they all love working with him. Right.

He probably envies Bebe as ridiculous as that sounds. You just need to understand the type.

Disclaimer, I'm anti-patriotisms, so I tend to hate any collective obsessions of my countrymen. I certainly have a bias against Ronaldo. I disliked Figo too, for example, but just as an unlikeable typically arrogant rival, a lot easier to respect because he was a lot more natural.

The only thing separating this guy from the sorts of Trump or Musk is that his role in society makes him inconsequential compared to those psychos, but I see no differences in their poise, so he gets the same level of respect they get from me.

Mind, I'm talking about how he strikes me as a person. No football involved. By criticizing his "fans" I don't mean his football fans, I mean his personal fans.
Good post and I agree with everything you say. Though I will also add, that everything you say about Ronaldo applies to Mourinho as well. Two pees from the same pod

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Was he that bad at the start though?
He acted like a massive prick for ages in 2008 after not getting his move to Madrid.

Not like he hasn’t eluded to it before. You’re right though, he’s doing for himself in that he wants to make it impossible for him to continue at Utd. And he’s succeeded.
Seems clear enough he came to the conclusion early enough last season that he’d made a big mistake returning here. Probably even before Solskjaer was sacked. I’d say his primary, overwhelming goal since then has been to find a way out, by whatever means possible.

MUFC OK

The timing and context of it make it obvious. Just like nobody actually believes Trump when he says he's the least racist person you'll ever meet, Ronaldo isn't fooling anyone except the devotees.
What? I don't see the parallel there at all. He's leaving and is saying it how he see's it. Were LVG, Jose, Zlatan all just self-serving/trying to appease the fans when they said similar things about the owners?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seems clear enough he came to the conclusion early enough last season that he’d made a big mistake returning here. Probably even before Solskjaer was sacked. I’d say his primary, overwhelming goal since then has been to find a way out, by whatever means possible.
A few days later, we had leaks about his contract reduction in case of no CL and his issues with Rangnick. It's an incredible stretch to act as if any of that was about the club or the owners.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What? I don't see the parallel there at all. He's leaving and is saying it how he see's it. Were LVG, Jose, Zlatan all just self-serving/trying to appease the fans when they said similar things about the owners?
Of course you can't see the parallels and we all know why. It's extremely convenient for him to know these facts (everyone knew them) when taking the pay check which was a bad move for the club and then whining about the same club when he's been creating a complete mess through this shameful behavior. It's a clear attempt at point scoring considering the timing of it and the fact that he's a nobody in this equation - unlike someone like ETH who is actually trying to fix things Ronaldo puts himself first and is trying to undo those trying to fix it.

We get it. You love the guy and want to believe his every word. I'd rather back the club and manager and not this narcissistic delusional prick.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
One of the stupidest takes I've seen in this thread. Silly generalisation, pure confirmation bias on your part.
Not sure how it's confirmation bias I think that's a poor conclusion, it's a stupid take and generalisation though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.