Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverRed1

Beckham supposedly wants him at Galaxy, let’s just swap him with Chicarito and get rid. Let the little pea get a nostalgic welcome and then we spend big in the summer. Maybe try for a loan with some out favour ST for depth as well.
No let’s move away from the past please

Herman Toothrot

This is what happens when you only listen to advice from friends who wear your own personal brand of underwear.

ShinjiNinja26

Just had a look at that cnut Morgan’s Twitter and by feck he’s milking this interview for all it’s worth isn’t he? Timelines literally full of this shite. I’d love to see how long it would take Piers to turn on him if he got his wish and Ronaldo ended up at Arsenal? Would be hilarious to see him stop Arsenal’s title challenge in its tracks by poisoning their dressing room.

L1nk

I just don’t see why that follows? How is it self serving to say what we’ve all been saying, but what no player has said, for years?
Because it means fanboys like you overlook everything else he has said and done because you've latched onto the one thing you wanted him to say, it's a genius PR tactic. It's not that you can't see it's that you don't want to see it.

Why didn't Ronaldo say any of this last season, or in the summer? Might it be because he was made head of the team and he was scoring goals, all eyes were on him? He's saying it all now because he's not the main man of the team anymore and he cannot handle it, he believes he should be starting and finishing every game, which would be understandable if he could back it up with ability and physicality but he cannot anymore. Storming out of the stadium, refusing to come on as a sub, why in the hell would ETH let all that fly? He's extended no end of olive branches to Ronaldo, he even made him Captain literally a week prior.

Not only this but to sit down with Piers Morgan and The Sun? Ronaldo loves United and Sir Alex his "father in football" so much that he sits down for an interview with a guy who Sir Alex absolutely hates?

Imagine a footballer coming out on a world televised interview with absolute scum, mid season when we are trying to build something, with cowardly timing because of the World Cup, and slagging your manager off, yet because he mentions like 2 sentences about the Glazers - who all the fans hate - all the rest of it gets swept under the rug? And you think it's about us? He's pulling the wool over your eyes, yeah no thanks, please leave.

Everybody, including me, would be singing his praises and be far more understanding had he done an interview in the summer explaining why he wants to leave, the family situation he was going through, laying it all on the table about the Glazers and the lack of evolution on the club, saying he's at the twilight of his career and he cannot afford the time to be part of a new rebuild, but good luck to ETH he's going to need it and he will always love the club and the fans.

What happened to Ronaldo and his family over the summer was absolutely awful and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but he's straight up lying to everyone's face when he says he feels like he was being pushed out, or that nobody believes him. It was widely reported by everyone, including David Ornstein, and mentioned by ETH himself many times that we understood he wasn't at the tour because of family issues and that Mendes was pimping him out to every club in the world trying to get them to sign Ronaldo - but nobody wanted him, yet we wanted to push him out? How many times did ETH say he wanted him to stay.

Fridge chutney

Because it was a phone call from Sir Alex to Cristiano Ronaldo ("you just can't join City") which caused this whole sorry mess in the first place.
That's simply untrue. I'll refer you to a post by @Adnan which explains what actually happened: that Solskjaer was the major driver in Ronaldo's return, not Sir Alex.

Fergie only got involved after the decision to sign Ronaldo was made by Solskjaer. And that was reported by both The Athletic and the Times. The Times actually went on to say that Solksjaer ignored the concerns of his coaching staff to sign the player due to his belief that Ronaldo's goals would make up for his deficiencies off the ball.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We probably won't see Fergie commenting on this at all (and it's not necessary that he does). But I'd be very, very surprised if he isn't on ETH's side here, regardless of his personal relationship with Ronaldo.

Found it interesting to see Robbo comment on ETH recently. What he said pretty much amounted to praising ETH for approaching "off pitch" stuff the same way Fergie did. As in - he doesn't tolerate any bollocks.

Robbo and Fergie are pretty close, from what I understand.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I’m a similar age to him, but largely ignorant of Italian football to be honest, especially when I was growing up and he would have been in his pomp.
Were you born in 1984? It so, then I find it amazing that you don't know who Antonio Casano is.

MUFC OK

Because it means fanboys like you overlook everything else he has said and done because you've latched onto the one thing you wanted him to say, it's a genius PR tactic. It's not that you can't see it's that you don't want to see it.

Why didn't Ronaldo say any of this last season, or in the summer? Might it be because he was made head of the team and he was scoring goals, all eyes were on him? He's saying it all now because he's not the main man of the team anymore and he cannot handle it, he believes he should be starting and finishing every game, which would be understandable if he could back it up with ability and physicality but he cannot anymore. Storming out of the stadium, refusing to come on as a sub, why in the hell would ETH let all that fly? He's extended no end of olive branches to Ronaldo, he even made him Captain literally a week prior.

Not only this but to sit down with Piers Morgan and The Sun? Ronaldo loves United and Sir Alex his "father in football" so much that he sits down for an interview with a guy who Sir Alex absolutely hates?

Imagine a footballer coming out on a world televised interview with absolute scum, mid season when we are trying to build something, with cowardly timing because of the World Cup, and slagging your manager off, yet because he mentions like 2 sentences about the Glazers - who all the fans hate - all the rest of it gets swept under the rug? And you think it's about us? He's pulling the wool over your eyes, yeah no thanks, please leave.

Everybody, including me, would be singing his praises had he done an interview in the summer explaining why he wants to leave, laying it all on the table about the Glazers and the lack of evolution on the club, saying he's at the twilight of his career and he cannot afford the time to be part of a new rebuild, but good luck to ETH he's going to need it and he will always love the club and the fans.

What happened to Ronaldo and his family over the summer was absolutely awful and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but he's straight up lying to everyone's face when he says he feels like he was being pushed out, or that nobody believes him. It was widely reported by everyone, including David Ornstein, that we understood he wasn't at the tour because of family issues and that Mendes was pimping him out to every club in the world trying to get them to sign Ronaldo - but nobody wanted him.
I'm as much of a Ronaldo 'fanboy' as you are a 'top red' in that I'm sure you reject that moniker, but I will call it as I see it.

1. I don't think it's a PR tactic - this is meant to be an exit interview - he doesn't care if he burns bridges and is perhaps actively trying to do so but I think he's being honest. On the flipside of that he didn't mention it last year because he was assumedly trying to carry on at the club - remember his comments on knowing the issues but it being "unethical" to share them.

2. Piers Morgan has been licking his arse since the last interview he got with him. I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo didn't know much of his back story. Would be surprised if he knows him as the guy who hacks dead peoples phones and writes false articles about soldier brutality in Iraq as we do. But yes, shitbag doesnt do justice to how much of a bellend he is. Same for the Sun, not sure he would know the history of that publication - why would he?

3. You can be pretty sure those grievances were there in the summer but as mentioned this is a desperate attempt to force his way out, if we are honest.

I'm not sure to what degree we actually disagree on the above but I'm still happy with someone with his platform calling out the Glazers. Nothing we have heard alluded to by Jose, LVG, Zlatan (people who know what decent owners look like) but it puts a spotlight on them and I'm fine with that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm as much of a Ronaldo 'fanboy' as you are a 'top red' in that I'm sure you reject that moniker, but I will call it as I see it.
So he's a huge top red then which being a Manchester United supporter is pretty normal whereas Ronaldo fanboyism is the stuff of the weirdos

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
That's simply untrue. I'll refer you to a post by @Adnan which explains what actually happened: that Solskjaer was the major driver in Ronaldo's return, not Sir Alex.
Erm, ok - but the fact is, Ronaldo may still have preferred to go to City (he would have had a better chance of boosting his stats there would he not) if it hadn't been for the personal intervention of Sir Alex Ferguson.

We probably won't see Fergie commenting on this at all (and it's not necessary that he does). But I'd be very, very surprised if he isn't on ETH's side here, regardless of his personal relationship with Ronaldo.

Found it interesting to see Robbo comment on ETH recently. What he said pretty much amounted to praising ETH for approaching "off pitch" stuff the same way Fergie did. As in - he doesn't tolerate any bollocks.

Robbo and Fergie are pretty close, from what I understand.
They always have been and currently they are part of a 'think-tank'/consultancy group (with David Gill) which has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

If you recall, the day Ronaldo eventually returned after missing pre-season, Sir Alex was also spotted and some people assumed the two were connected. The club came out and said not, SAF was there to setup this other thing, although quite what they do, quite how much influence they have, is any ones guess. But maybe when Ronaldo says (in the interview) that things haven't moved on in the last decade, he is hinting at the continued involvement of these club legends which may also account for his 'lack of respect for ETH' if he is getting advice from above.

I am guessing of course, because ETH seems to be his own man, or I thought he was, but what is really going on behind the scenes - I shall watch TalkTV later to hopefully find out more.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you recall, the day Ronaldo eventually returned after missing pre-season, Sir Alex was also spotted and some people assumed the two were connected. The club came out and said not, SAF was there to setup this other thing, although quite what they do, quite how much influence they have, is any ones guess. But maybe when Ronaldo says (in the interview) that things haven't moved on in the last decade, he is hinting at the continued involvement of these club legends which may also account for his 'lack of respect for ETH' if he is getting advice from above.
Yes, I remember that.

In fact - wasn't Robbo also spotted?

Anyway - as you say, nobody really knows precisely what sort of influence, if any, this supposed "think tank" has.

But we do know that Fergie has stated - in no uncertain terms - that he is behind ETH and hopes he can "take control" of things.

In short - there is very little reason to believe that Fergie would be on Ronaldo's side here.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Can Piers Morgan stoop any lower now Messi´s in the firing line.

I’m more interested about this bit than anything else.

Enough has been said from the leaked clips for me to know he isn’t going to say anything that will justify the shit he’s spewed.

MUFC OK

So he's a huge top red then which being a Manchester United supporter is pretty normal whereas Ronaldo fanboyism is the stuff of the weirdos
I wouldn't be quick to make that assessment. Haven't seen him champion mediocrity yet.. but shutting down valid criticism of the glazers is a good start.

OldTrevil

Ronaldo is like the US (+nato vassals) empire, bigger than thou narcissist who once had something to offer despite his despicable nature, but now facing decline and refusing to accept it, intends to bring everyone down in flames rather than existing like the average/below-average member he now is :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn't be quick to make that assessment. Haven't seen him champion mediocrity yet.. but shutting down valid criticism of the glazers is a good start.
Don't worry about it. The assessment about you has been made by everyone already. Your hero can behave disgracefully towards the club you 'support' as long as he makes a bleeding obvious statement about the Glazers. He knows his fans are naive as feck.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ronaldo is like the US (+nato vassals) empire, bigger than thou narcissist who once had something to offer despite his despicable nature, but now facing decline and refusing to accept it, intends to bring everyone down in flames rather than existing like the average/below-average member he now is :wenger:
All those Ballon D'ors.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Absolutely and United fans aren't close to be the most critical or vocal.
Now I wonder who would win that! I know in the Netherlands it's Ajax fans, and that United fans are absolutely meek sheep compared to them - but I can't really tell about other leagues.

Withnail

It was a Woodward vanity signing wasn't it? I heard it repeated the other day on a podcast, possible Talk of the Devils. Woody convinced Joel of the financials. The deal was basically done and then Solskjaer was asked if he wanted him and he obviously said yes. I don't really think Ole had the clout to convince the Glazers to part with half a mill a week, do you?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Your hero can behave disgracefully towards the club you 'support' as long as he makes a bleeding obvious statement about the Glazers. He knows his fans are naive as feck.
I think that CRs interview has actually done more to identify his most bizarre (if they aren't paid PR ) fans than it has done to identify problems with the way that the club is run.

It's actually a little frightening if these are adults.

romufc

People who say we should pay him his contract off, IMO are wrong.

If Ronaldo wants to leave, it has to be contract termination with no pay out, so mutual termination.

If not, we tell him he has to train alone, if he doesn't, keep giving him fines and recover wages that way. We should not be paying him £20m to leave the club.

If he wants that, we should keep him but not play him until the summer. We need to show him the disrespect he wants to see.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't really think Ole had the clout to convince the Glazers to part with half a mill a week, do you?
He obviously didn't.

As I understand it (and this is absolutely not anything beyond rumours/hearsay), Ole has apparently said as much himself privately.

As in: he has said he didn't want Ronaldo.

(Of course, he would say that given how everything's turned out - but whatever, it's apparently a "known" thing among certain Norwegian journos.)

Status
Not open for further replies.