Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair, if this goes through, this thread alone will have provided me with the most enjoyment about anything Ronaldo has ever done.
Definitely thread of the year contender. “What if it was your son?”
Some absolute classics in here.

Djemba-Djemba

To be fair, if this goes through, this thread alone will have provided me with the most enjoyment about anything Ronaldo has ever done.
Well he's never played for Bayern and he must have scored about 20 goals against you so it's not going to be hard is it ?

When else would you enjoy anything he's done?

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I agree the reactions are over the top, but tell me seeing Henry at Spurs wouldn't hurt.
It would have sucked and I would have been somewhat angry about it but I would have probably stopped short of cheering when he scores for them and comparing my fanboyism towards him as a father son relationship.

James35

It's the fans and publicity he will get City that worries me more than him actually playing for them, they are already ahead of us on the pitch regardless.

Obviously I'm still going to hate his guts and boo his every touch but what a fanfare signing it would be around the world. It will really cement what is quite obvious to every man and his dog, they are the top team in Manchester.

Ah well, let's hope Pep hates him.

GueRed

Schmeichel was probably worse, he quit us after 99 saying wanted to retire and couple seasons later hes playing for City
He didnt say he wanted to retire. He wanted to move abroad to slower pace of football and lifestyle.

The intensity and pace of life at United left Schmeichel burnt out towards the end of his time. He left at the age of 36yrs old a Treble winner.

Spent a couple of years in Portugal with Sporting

Then a year at Villa

Then at the age of 40 a year at Man City before retiring.

Big deal

JG3001

Ultimately, the fact that Ronaldo is even entertaining such a transfer says that United mean a lot less to him that fans would like to believe.
This does damage his legacy, and I don't think he cares all that much. We were an employer to him, and people that represent United today have no connection to Ronaldo.

It sorta makes sense that he's optimizing for trophies at this stage. However, long term - once he's done playing football, his legacy outside of the trophy count itself will start to matter. Beyond a level of 'enough' trophies in the cabinet, a lot of the intangibles start to matter in terms of how a player is remembered. A lot of the greatest footballers are defined by fond memories as opposed to their absolute trophy count, and in that sense this could be a case of missing of the forest for the trees.

United fans will stop revering him if this happens, and he'll go down as an exceptional but not beloved player. Juventus fans don't seem to be particularly arsed to lose him, and Madrid weren't exactly devastated to see him move. I doubt his tenure at City will be long enough to matter in the very long run.

He'll be a Madrid legend, but his narrative could've been better. For that same reason, this transfer is disappointing but ultimately doesn't bother me a whole lot.
End of the day, he spent his peak years at Madrid, so he’s always going to be a bigger legend to their fans. And he will always have more of a connection with them because of that.

We probably got 3 of his best years tops, the treble PL run, with a champions league to boot of course. But obviously, in those 3 years, he pretty much was the best player in the world, so there will always be United fans who revere him. And they’re not wrong to do so.

I think there’s always going to be that club feeling of: “we took a chance on him when he was a diamond in the rough, so he owes us”, but I don’t believe that should be the case. He was on the radar of other clubs at the time.

Personally, I wouldn’t be that arsed to see him go to City at this point in his career, can still offer something, but can’t see him as the second coming.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He didnt say he wanted to retire. He wanted to move abroad to slower pace of football and lifestyle.

The intensity and pace of life at United left Schmeichel burnt out towards the end of his time. He left at the age of 36yrs old a Treble winner.

Then a year at Villa

Big deal
I still remember Phil Neville pretending he didnt exist in the playertunnel after that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Then a year at Villa

Big deal
And most importantly City were basically like Burnley back then.
Local, but zero threat in any way.

Rooney1987

Then a year at Villa

Big deal
He probably shouldn't have done the cartwheel though.

MUFC OK

Kind of hilarious how we begged Cavani to stay one more year and he's off to play for Uruguay despite the inevitable isolation, oh and he hasnt played for us yet this season.

Meantime arguably our greatest player ever is joining our arch rivals and we havent lifted a finger. I guess players are happy to shit on you when you arent a very good football team.

laughtersassassin

I blame the Glazers if this happens.

They run this club so bad. If we where win a better position then we may have got Ronnie back and or not even needed him.

And to top it all off City might be getting Ronaldo and we can't even get a Midfielder.....

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One is 37 and well past his peak. The other is 21 with his peak years ahead of him. Not that hard really.
To sign Ronaldo, it looks like you will be paying somewhere between £20m and £50m fees. The club who sign Haaland will be paying at least £150m, and probably closer to £200m, to Dortmund, the player and his representatives. Their wages will be similar enough per annum.

If you believe Haaland can be justified by resell value, then you aren’t paying enough attention to what is happening with big players and their agents, specifically when Raiola is involved. The club that signs Haaland will in effect be leasing him for 4-5 years, at which point Haaland will be 26 or 27 and at his absolute peak. That club will then be in the situation we are with Pogba now: to get Pogba/Haaland to re-sign you will have to basically start all over again and outbid clubs with a package of footballing prospects, fees and wages. Neither Haaland, nor any of Raiola’s biggsts clients, are going to sign their financial value away for a football club wield.

clarkydaz

I blame the Glazers if this happens.

They run this club so bad. If we where win a better position then we may have got Ronnie back and or not even needed him.

And to top it all off City might be getting Ronaldo and we can't even get a Midfielder.....
He could come here for less stupid money if he wanted. If he is happy to go city for whatever reasons then feck him

Dudu

This is so utterly depressing. Can somebody bloody get SAF on the phone to Ronaldo.

FFS. Please don't let this happen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Kind of hilarious how we begged Cavani to stay one more year and he's off to play for Uruguay despite the inevitable isolation, oh and he hasnt played for us yet this season.

Meantime arguably our greatest player ever is joining our arch rivals and we havent lifted a finger. I guess players are happy to shit on you when you arent a very good football team.
Yeah, the liberties we are giving Cavani are another subject. Basically playing for us part time. We’d laugh him or a similar profile player getting that freedom from an MLS club.

Varane around town

There's something a bit sad about all this.

The sight of Ronaldo being desperate to move clubs but nobody really wanting him or being able to afford him,

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
To sign Ronaldo, it looks like you will be paying somewhere between £20m and £50m fees. The club who sign Haaland will be paying at least £150m, and probably closer to £200m, to Dortmund, the player and his representatives. Their wages will be similar enough per annum.

If you believe Haaland can be justified by resell value, then you aren’t paying enough attention to what is happening with big players and their agents, specifically when Raiola is involved. The club that signs Haaland will in effect be leasing him for 4-5 years, at which point Haaland will be 26 or 27 and at his absolute peak. That club will then be in the situation we are with Pogba now: to get Pogba/Haaland to re-sign you will have to basically start all over again and outbid clubs with a package of footballing prospects, fees and wages. Neither Haaland, nor any of Raiola’s biggsts clients, are going to sign their financial value away for a football club wield.
No. I can justify it by the fact you’ll be getting at least 6 years of a far better player. This isn’t prime Ronaldo - it’s old poacher Ronaldo and literally nobody would be suggesting we sign him if there wasn’t the emotional attachment to him. It makes zero fecking sense from a footballing perspective. But then this the forum that went into fecking meltdown when we didn’t sign Bale last year so it’s not a huge surprise.

laughtersassassin

He could come here for less stupid money if he wanted. If he is happy to go city for whatever reasons then feck him
We don't know that. According to one report we where offered him and don't want him.

Anyway I'm not too concerned with Ronaldo in that he hasn't players for us for years.

I am concerned that we are neglecting the team yet again and falling short of the mark before the season even starts.

Always do things in half measures

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is so utterly depressing. Can somebody bloody get SAF on the phone to Ronaldo.

FFS. Please don't let this happen.
Still think it's posturing of some sort.
But it is hanging about as a story.

Lebo

Some of us who never cared for Ronaldo after 2009 can’t be bothered really. He has always been about himself and nothing new here. I just hope he doesn’t score against us and annoy us with that fake apology celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.