Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are actual United fans who think Ronaldo is a bigger club legend than Cantona? That is mad.
That is madness for anyone to think that! Surely it must be younger fans who only know Cantona from stories and youtube.

Ad for Ronaldo...I'd say that anyone that leads us to 3 league titles in a row, European Champions and finalists the following season should rightly be considered a United legend - regardless if they leave and spend most of their career elsewhere. We had a bloody good team without Ronaldo but not sure we'd have won all we did in that era without him. Having said that, if he goes to City I'd enjoy seeing Maguire 'haaland' him in the first derby he plays against us.

Drifter

American
You really could not make this up , if the rumors of him going to Citeh are true.

LoneStar

I can understand the argument he's a glory hunter, and City are a place to be, but why did he move to Juve?
They were a shoe in for the league, and they were consistently making the latter stages of the CL back then. Probably saw that it was a pretty safe bet to win a new league and have a good chance of winning the CL.

Deawin

I can understand the argument he's a glory hunter, and City are a place to be, but why did he move to Juve?
Cause they where the only club not seeing a player clearly declining and therefor willing to pay a ridiculous salary.
Was a hero for me as a kid. Gutted. Always wanted him to do well, he was an amazing player for us.

Infra-red

I know logically that Ronaldo to City shouldn't bother me. He's not played for the club for 12 years and has subsequently scored against us, celebrated scoring against us and knocked us out of the CL. I know that he's obsessed with personal records and with money and that any real connection he had with United ended when Fergie, Rio & the rest departed the club. I know all of this, but despite that, this really does feel like a gut shot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because before he joined they were excellent?

Rolaholic

What a soap opera :lol:

Sad to see someone of his stature being whored out around Europe by his agent without much interest or at least much will to pay value for him...

GazTheLegend

Money. The Italian authorities relaxed tax laws on footballers in order to attract top level players.

zizou81

Who's to say Ronaldo doesnt prefer a move back to united. It may be that the powers to be at united arent willing to take him back. If he has a better option than Juve to come back to the prem for one last hurrah and united aren't offering and city is the only option then i wont blame Ronaldo. It's better than a move to PSG and play in a pub league.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are actual United fans who think Ronaldo is a bigger club legend than Cantona? That is mad.
There are - and yes, it's mad to me.

To an extent I can understand that someone who was a kid back in the mid noughties will have a special attachment to Ronaldo - that's not surprising at all. But it seems this phenomenon goes beyond that particular category.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ronaldo ain't getting past Shawberto or Wan-Bissaka anyway. And I feel Varane would enjoy getting to pretend-murder him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What peak? Ronaldo didn't play his peak years at United and Charlton was at a point the best European player and he actually played his peak years for United.
I mean that only Best equals Ronaldo's peak at United. What I'm saying is that Best had a better peak at United than Charlton, but Charlton had a longer and more consistent career than Best.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Mendes is the exact sort of mercenary agent bastard most believe Raiola to be, he's Raiola on steroids
Juve spent the last 12 months feeding media stories about how his astronomical wages were a burden. It has felt like an unhappy marriage for sometime.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It isn’t for money. He is earning good money at Juventus. It’s actually his legacy is what his move is for. He wants to win as much as Messi. City is the best chance to do that.
Yup. Even if there’s every chance he’s as greedy as the rest of them, I think the thought of winning the CL with three different clubs would be his biggest motivation. And I doubt he’ll be earning that much more at City anyway.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sponsors overpay Madrid because casual fans (who make up the majority of fans) like to be associated with winners, especially European-level winners.

I'm surprised that a United fan would call La Liga a farmers league especially when Villareal beat you in the Europa final. I think La Liga is at par with EPL.

United will never be fully backed by an owner unless it is fan-owned or owned by a dodgy billionaire looking to launder money. A business owner is always going to want a return. Also are United fans open to selling themselves to a Middle-Eastern sovereign fund? That seems to be the only option.
About as open as we are to betraying football and creating a Super League, so not at all.

Highfather_24

Charlton was a better player and more important figure.
Interesting. I guess you can say Best and Charlton were better players, but hardly anybody has seen them play, unless you're ~70+ yrs old.

I guess this is how Liverpool fans felt after Owen came to us.

I started watching United in 9/10 after Ronaldo left, so I dont really care about him :lol:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He can move wherever he pleases. That's business. If United were interested and could afford his services and was signed I still wouldn't be hysterical. I still maintain he is not the prime Ronaldo from just a few years back.

JoaquinJoaquin

Sponsors overpay Madrid because casual fans (who make up the majority of fans) like to be associated with winners, especially European-level winners.

I'm surprised that a United fan would call La Liga a farmers league especially when Villareal beat you in the Europa final. I think La Liga is at par with EPL.

United will never be fully backed by an owner unless it is fan-owned or owned by a dodgy billionaire looking to launder money. A business owner is always going to want a return. Also are United fans open to selling themselves to a Middle-Eastern sovereign fund? That seems to be the only option.
Definitely not now. In 2018 yes.

Strats

What a soap opera :lol:

Sad to see someone of his stature being whored out around Europe by his agent without much interest or at least much will to pay value for him...
What is he supposed to do in Paris? I'd much rather he went to PSG obviously, can imagine they'd want him to replace Mbappe if he leaves.

Feels like its time to do flight tracking again:nervous: Any private jet flight from Paris to Manchester is suspicious from now on.

Also, if he fecks off to City i'll see Gaitan as a bigger legend.

siw2007

Would feel somewhat uneasy if this move materialises. I had a Ronaldo signed United shirt for my 17th Bday and still have it framed in my bedroom. He was the greatest player I have ever seen pull on a United shirt, he was the star player and driving force in a team that overhauled Mourinho and Chelsea’s grasp on the league title and went on to conquer Europe and the world. He’s a United great and it would be gutting to see him roll out at Old Trafford in a blue shirt.

Having said that, Ronaldo is a player who has gotten to where he is by being single minded and driven to succeed. The most important things to him in the world are the champions league and the ballon dor, he will pick City because they are a useful pawn to him to achieve these goals.

At this moment in time, he will only be looking forwards to achieve as much as he can and not the past, so don’t see him particularly thinking of United in all of this. However when he retires he might look back fondly at mostly Madrid but also United, whereas City would be a footnote.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This signing is all about the rivalry between Qatar and UAE. There is a political rift between the nations and this is spilling into football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How do I sneak a pigs head into OT?

I’m not even joking, I will lob it at him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
whether he's a legend or not, it's not like fecking Tom Cleverley is signing for City is it?

he was a massive part of one of if not the most successful periods in the clubs history

obviously fans are gonna be gutted, myself included
So were Andy Cole and Denis Law? Once they leave, feck them. Can play for whoever. Players come and go. The club is the fans.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Think they reached the final the year before he moved? Also adding to his legacy. Moving to a new Country. Scoring loads of goals. Winning more titles. He has won the big three league titles. Something he will always hold above Messi.

City will do it just for the 'banter' if nothing else. They have the billboard ordered already.

Ultimately we'll just have to have a laugh about it and know that Ronaldo isn't the player he was and hopefully his presence and desire to be 'the man' will disrupt what seems like a decent team spirit and lack of egos at City.

Any word on how City fans are reacting, obviously they'll love to wind us up which is fair enough, but from a purely football point of view do they want him?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We're playing hardball trying to sign another midfielder, forget about affording Ronaldo. Offloading Martial won't make up for whatever City are able to offer him. Pretty sure he wouldn't pick us over City right now anyway. His priority is obviously still trophies and he has a better chance at that with City.
I'd sell VDB/Lingard/James too to make it happen. Keep one of the kids (Elanga?) for depth. We're still stacked with Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Pogba, Mata.
You're probably right about the trophy aspect, but we could definitely try.

We have jumped in recently last minute and signed Sanchez under City's nose and got burnt. I don't think we will risk.

Also, we spent a long time convincing Cavani to stay and then if we just bench him that would be harsh.

Having said that, I would swap Martial for Ronaldo in a heart beat.
We don't owe Cavani anything. He's getting paid on his already signed 1 year contract. And they both would play a lot.
We're run by morons who don't know how the fans feel about this. Feck me, I'd even help PSG out if they could persuade Ronnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.