Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think he will cause all sorts of chaos at City and really upset the Apple cart - Pep will fall out with him like he did with Ibra - once he says that Messi is the better player Ronnie will have a fit……

Seriously - not sure this is a good fit for him……his age and longevity will seriously be tested now in the EPL

still reckon he could end up at PSG yet though!
I know where you are coming from. City have an expensive squad, but not sure there are many egos in there. Now they are signing one of the biggest.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sure you may believe Messi is the GOAT, but Ronaldo's name also comes up in the discussion.
Cristiano is not going to disappear just like Pele/Messi/Maradona will not disappear. Even players one level below like Di Stefano, Beckanbauer and Cruyff are not going to 'disappear'.
You are overstating United's permanence in the tier that contains Barca/Bayern/Madrid, You had a chance to get in there in 2010 but you squandered it with poor signings. The new generation of young fans (especially non-English) are idolizing City/Chelsea/Madrid/Barca a lot more than United.
Even your most reputed players - Lukaku (grew up following Chelsea), Pogba (literally United youth) don't consider it unthinkable to transfer away.
:lol: :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ronaldo can't even teach his son how to say his own name to be fair. Terrible father. Imagine having a billionaire dad but you cant even spell. Barney the dinosaur makes a better dad.

Hoof the ball

That's like saying Madrid weren't an elite club back in 2009. We're clearly among the world's biggest 4-5 football clubs. Barcelona, Bayern and Madrid have no sort of exclusive club. But please carry on snorting "CR7"'s backside to delude yourself of the stature of this football. I mean, it's sortof weird that Madrid fans (who are inferior in every way to the older lot) are coming to a Manchester United forum in droves when we aren't one of the biggest clubs on the planet. Weird, that. And no, a footballer cannot compare in terms of stature and importance to these clubs, they're all on a different level to one individual.
I bet he's got nothing to say about Madrid's majority advantage over all La Liga teams except Barcelona in terms of TV rights share between 2000-2017. If it weren't for the disparity of TV rights money, both Madrid and Barca wouldn't have been able to create a two-team hegemony in the league, and subsequent guaranteed CL participation money every single season which reinforced their position in Europe and dominance in the league in the first place.

GuyfromAustria

Says a lot about my feelings for him that I don't really care about him going to City, although I'm slightly annoyed of the possibility of having to see all the weird stuff about him more often, including his fans, celebrations and face.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Im still not sure this will happen. I just dont think City will want to pay £25-30m for a 36 yr old, and wont swap Jesus for him.

They wont get him for free apparently, so while all the personal terms are agreed etc, i think it'll fail to happen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This actually a great move for both parties. City anyway dominate the league and come close in the CL. All they lack is a proper goalscorer. For Ronaldo he doesn't have to be that involved in the buildup, gets to play in a team that create a lot and works under Pep. On paper it's a great move. But a kick in the teeth of the Ronaldo obsessed United fans.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Come on Real, hurry up buy Mbappe now which gives PSG a good reason to buy Ronaldo.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got major apathy towards this if true. It's all just a bit of a shame really.

CM

I don't feel that strongly about this. Ronaldo was an incredible player for us once upon a time but he left 12 years ago. It feels like some haven't moved on from that, but that's a long time ago in life and in football, and a lot has changed since then. It might be a bit of a dickish move if he goes to City but it's Ronaldo. We all know what he's about by now, he's in it for himself and he doesn't care about public perception.

In some ways, it'd be interesting to see how it goes if it does happen. Guardiola and Ronaldo feels like a huge clash of personalities, and the way he plays is more or less the antithesis of Pep's philosophy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is where you're wrong. United only has a lot of sponsors due to its recent legacy (1995-2013) of winning lots of things in a short time. People around the world who 'adore' United are mainly casual fans that enjoy supporting a winning team - they will happily switch allegiance if United became mid-table or a lesser version of Wenger's Arsenal.
Ronaldo was important in making sure the next generation of kids and new fans started supporting United - and hence continued interest from sponsors.
:lol: The gift that keeps giving. Which mod is responsible for this one?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
This actually a great move for both parties. City anyway dominate the league and come close in the CL. All they lack is a proper goalscorer. For Ronaldo he doesn't have to be that involved in the buildup, gets to play in a team that create a lot and works under Pep. On paper it's a great move. But a kick in the teeth of the Ronaldo obsessed United fans.
Ronaldo 5 yrs ago? Theyd have walked the league, i dont think they will with him at 36

DSG

I wouldn’t be happy to see Cristiano at City, but let’s be real…

Times are different. Players are brands now, and a lot of fans follow players, not teams.

Ronnie wants to play, win trophies and make money. If his agent approached us and we had no interest, which reportedly happened, but City does have interest, why should we, as fans, be upset with him?

His respect for SAF will never fade.

I understand the “Death to Ronaldo” camp, but the man is 37, at the end of his career, went to us first… Don’t you think you are being a bit irrational about all of this???

ShinjiNinja26

Why? Because he’s making a career move that pays well and has a good chance of bringing some more trophies?

Why do people expect players to be fans of their club and show a streak of loyalty that would potentially hold their career back. Ronaldo is great in the sense that his competitive fire still burns. Pep, City and their wages will suit him to a tee.
Why? Because he’s already said in the past he’d never join another English club because United was in his heart, that’s why. But if he does go there then that was obviously a load of old bollocks.

Utd77

This is just nirvana for city fans, if he goes there it just highlights the power shift and exacerbated by Utds refusal to even at least enquire over a potential return.

Utd do have other pressing positions to fill but surely they could be seen to be at least wanting to compete for the best players, especially Ronaldo.

youmeletsfly

Ronnie to City with KDB and Mahrez creating chances would be criminal, even on the eye he looks not right for a Pep team.

On the other hand, the UCL will be interesting:
- psg with Neymar and Messi
- City with Grealish and CR7
- Real with Mbappe
- Chelsea being Chelsea
- us with Varane and Sancho in form

Might be an interesting season ahead.

spiriticon

It would have hurt if he was in his prime (2013-ish) but right now I'm not so bothered as he will be lucky to be there more than 2 years.

He's more of a Real legend now than a United one anyway, though we remember him very fondly.

RedDevil@84

ever understood the worship of a player who left us after a lot of drama to give his best years to Real so dont care much about Ronaldo the "legend".
That's easy to understand. He is a player who came to us at a young age and then became good player here and then became a legend with multiple Ballon d'or.. Which is why he is worshipped.
If he did not go on to become a legend of the game, people wouldn't have cared.

USREDEVIL

Deery me. His legacy will be tarnished in my book by going to a rival like City, and especially a rival like City. I knew he was an egotist and narcissist but i reckoned he at least had a bit of loyalty about him.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
That’s like saying Aguero’s goal didn’t win city the title….because they won other games previous!
No it's not considering if we won that game against City, we would of gone down anyway

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Aside from one of the class of 92 turning up there, I can't really imagine a worse player to join them.
At least it's not Liverpool being the only tiny consolation.

Still don't see it, but it's not boring off still.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Disappointing if he goes to City, I thought he would have some loyalty to us & not go to them. Guess it’s all a business at the end of the day.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He didn't do too bad at the Euros for a 36 year old. You don't think he will score goals in the BPL for fun now?
he did alright at the euros yes, my point was more that at 36, he quite obviously isnt the same player. I do not think theyll walk the league, no

MUFC OK

Ronaldo has probably looked at Messi's move to PSG to build a super team and now believes that he needs to make a similar move to ensure that Messi doesn't over take his Champions League trophy tally. I'm using my narcissist thinking cap to put myself in the shoes of a narcissist.
This is it 100%.

Yohoo

Supports
Red Devils Soccer Club
Karma is obviously a Liverpool supporter, so now we are getting back for signing Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.