Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What he did with Portugal and for Portugal is greatness. 3 peat in the CL is greatness, his record in the biggest stages in the biggest competition in the world that is greatness. His conquering of 3 of the top leagues in the world is greatness.

He has those winning intangibles that you can’t teach. MJ had it, Brady has it, Ronaldo has it.
Come on, what are you talking about, what did he "conquer" in Italy? Instagram? They've haven't been that close to loosing the title in 10 years, he didn't finish top scorer since he's there and they lost the Coppa Italia both years. It's as if he was coming to PSG and won ligue 1, there's absolutely no conquest in that.

I love how you guys manage to spin everything in the way you want to. When he wins 3 CL and scores tons of goal with Real Madrid, it's his majesty's greatness. When he fails to be the top scorer in the league for 2 years in a row and gets eliminated in CL by a club that was 7th in the french league before COVID, it's because of the team.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing is you confuse Talent with greatness.

Those players can be argued as more talented but neither is a GREATER player. Those are two different things.

Look at the NBA. Lebron is arguably the most talented NBA player of all time but Michael Jordan is undeniably the greatest player.

Same thing with Brady in football. Mentality, intangibles, etc those things all identify greatness.

What he did with Portugal and for Portugal is greatness. 3 peat in the CL is greatness, his record in the biggest stages in the biggest competition in the world that is greatness. His conquering of 3 of the top leagues in the world is greatness.

He has those winning intangibles that you can’t teach. MJ had it, Brady has it, Ronaldo has it.
Exactly. No Ronaldo fans say he has more technical ability than messi; because he doesnt.

However, he has greater mentality, greater and wider variety of a career and been successful in most/all of them, breaking records in different places and competitions whilst always matching to be near equal or better in every year to Messi.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Real Madrid are going through a transitional phase. They'll soon be contenders without Ronaldo. They even won la Liga pretty soon after his departure something they didn't often didn't do with him too.

Too much hooplah over Juventus. They've been in the final mix of teams for ages now. They aren't like us or Chelsea foundering to make any impact on the tournament. 5 years? Alright, how many have Juve (or us for that matter) won in their history? Doesn't seem a very big call to state that they won't win one in a 5 year span.
Both of them are lucky that they play in leagues where even their transitional / weaker phases still see them 2nd at worst. Like we've seen you can drop out the mix entirely in our league!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mentality is so overrated. You guys sound like Instagram coaches.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Come on, what are you talking about, what did he "conquer" in Italy? Instagram? They've haven't been that close to loosing the title in 10 years, he didn't finish top scorer since he's there and they lost the Coppa Italia both years. It's as if he was coming to PSG and won ligue 1, there's absolutely no conquest in that.

I love how you guys manage to spin everything in the way you want to. When he wins 3 CL and scores tons of goal with Real Madrid, it's his majesty's greatness. When he fails to be the top scorer in the league for 2 years in a row and gets eliminated in CL by a club that was 7th in the french league before COVID, it's because of the team.
Ronaldo has scored the highest EVER amount of goals in a season for Juventus. That's in their 100+ year history.

Can you spin that to be some sort of non achievement?

How about they're the best team in a doss league? That do you? But what about every other year they've been the same?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So many players flop when moving to a different league as seen yesterday.

Some people say that Hazard is a flop. That even Ronaldo is a flop now.

Yet... Messi wont flop playing for a different team in a different league.

Talk about delusional to the point you eat only what you have been fed :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The thing is you confuse Talent with greatness.

Those players can be argued as more talented but neither is a GREATER player. Those are two different things.

Look at the NBA. Lebron is arguably the most talented NBA player of all time but Michael Jordan is undeniably the greatest player.

Same thing with Brady in football. Mentality, intangibles, etc those things all identify greatness.

You can't argue with the anti-Ronaldo types.

It might take them a few years down the line to suddenly one day think - oh hang on, a guy bossing it in 3 top leagues for longer than pretty much anyone ever has done - loads of trophies, loads of goals, highest goalscoring season in Juventus history at 35..oh maybe yeah he was a legend actually.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So many players flop when moving to a different league as seen yesterday.

Some people say that Hazard is a flop. That even Ronaldo is a flop now.

Yet... Messi wont flop playing for a different team in a different league.

Talk about delusional to the point you eat only what you have been fed :lol:
I'd like to meet anyone who says a 35 year old scoring 37 in a season is a flop.
Less so when it's at a club whose 100+ year history he's walked into.
Less so when it's still one of the top 4 leagues and a league that is traditionally not a goal fest with the defensive nature.

I'd like to see if they genuinely believe it themselves.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Mentality is so overrated. You guys sound like Instagram coaches.
Go ask MJ of Kobe Bryant (RIP) how overrated it is or even Tom Brady.

That’s where greatness comes from. If it’s just about talent then Quaresma would
Be a top 5 player in the world his whole career.

It’s not a knock on Messi when I say this but even last season when Ronaldo brought Juve back vs atlético Messi would not do the same. He does not have the same drive or hunger to lead a team. He has shown it multiple times and showed his mentality when he quit on Argentina.

Pablo18th

Exactly. No Ronaldo fans say he has more technical ability than messi; because he doesnt.

However, he has greater mentality, greater and wider variety of a career and been successful in most/all of them, breaking records in different places and competitions whilst always matching to be near equal or better in every year to Messi.
Agreed, Ronaldo has repeatedly won games in a weaker team or as the underdog, I can't think of many instances of Messi winning games as the underdog only the 2009 final in Rome comes to mind.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ronaldo has scored the highest EVER amount of goals in a season for Juventus. That's in their 100+ year history.

How about they're the best team in a doss league? That do you? But what about every other year they've been the same?
He had a good season, i'm not disputing that, which is impressive at 35. But considering that Immobile, who's a good but far from top5 striker, is now the record co-holder in serie A in 122 years, i'm not impressed one bit by this record. Plot twist, he also had an insane amount of pens.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

1/3 being pens right? How many did he score in all comps for Juve? 15?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Both of them are lucky that they play in leagues where even their transitional / weaker phases still see them 2nd at worst. Like we've seen you can drop out the mix entirely in our league!
Yes absolutely. Still, I feel Zidane has done a commendable job this season. They went on a run of some 10 straight wins or something at the end which was pretty remarkable given where they were awhile back.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's what separates the good from the great.
Not true universally. There's only so much you can compensate with mentality. It's just an aspect of performance and also the one that's most relatable to the average fan.

That’s where greatness comes from. If it’s just about talent then Quaresma would

It’s not a knock on Messi when I say this but even last season when Ronaldo brought Juve back vs atlético Messi would not do the same. He does not have the same drive or hunger to lead a team. He has shown it multiple times and showed his mentality when he quit on Argentina.
American sports perception is so fundamentally different to mine, I'm sorry.

Also this is factually wrong at so many points, I don't even know where to start.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ah yes, because penalties don't count. Sorry, I forgot.
The fact thay you guys, when assessing the performance of a player, don't realize that you'd judge differently a player who scored 30+ goals without pens or with 12 pens is beyond me. Especially when it's pens he didn't provoke but 2.

I rate Higuain's performance when he scored 36 goals far higher than Immobile's for the mere fact that Immobile had 12 pens when Higuain had 3. Who can seriously think that Immobile is as good as '16 Higuain just because he had the same amount of goals, this is absurd.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not true universally. There's only so much you can compensate with mentality. It's just an aspect of performance and also the one that's most relatable to the average fan.
Hence it being the extra on top that lifts the really top bracket players to that echelon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The fact thay you guys, when assessing the performance of a player, don't realize that you'd judge differently a player who scored 30+ goals without pens or with 12 pens is beyond me. Especially when it's pens he didn't provoke but 2.

I rate Higuain's performance when he scored 36 goals far higher than Immobile's for the mere fact that Immobile had 12 pens when Higuain had 3. Who can seriously think that Immobile is as good as '16 Higuain just because he had the same amount of goals, this is absurd.
Ahh, penalties are worth more if you get fouled yourself.

And presumably, someone getting 20 tap ins from a few yards out is worth more than someone getting 20 pens? Got it.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ahh, penalties are worth more if you get fouled yourself.

And presumably, someone getting 20 tap ins from a few yards out is worth more than someone getting 20 pens? Got it.

I'm really sorry if you have a hard time understanding that some people actually go beyond pure stats to determine if a player had a great season or not.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

American sports perception is so fundamentally different to mine, I'm sorry.

Also this is factually wrong at so many points, I don't even know where to start.
It’s really not though,

One player legitimately quit on his country. He also mentally collapses in back to back CL games where he vanished.

Also yes mentality only gets you so far when your a normal player. When your a generational talent (along with Messi) the mentality aspect ends up being a separation between players.

Like I said, Messi is probably the most talented or the two but he most definitely is not the greatest.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Real Madrid are going through a transitional phase. They'll soon be contenders without Ronaldo. They even won la Liga pretty soon after his departure something they didn't often didn't do with him too.

Too much hooplah over Juventus. They've been in the final mix of teams for ages now. They aren't like us or Chelsea foundering to make any impact on the tournament. 5 years? Alright, how many have Juve (or us for that matter) won in their history? Doesn't seem a very big call to state that they won't win one in a 5 year span.
It's an easy call tbh, time will tell.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
2010: Real Madrid went out against Lyon
2020: Juventus went out against Lyon

For the first time in 10 years, Cristiano Ronaldo will not participate in the UCL quarter finals.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed, Ronaldo has repeatedly won games in a weaker team or as the underdog, I can't think of many instances of Messi winning games as the underdog only the 2009 final in Rome comes to mind.
What? When?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What? When?
I guess he means against Athletico for Juventus, but I wouldn't really describe Juventus as an underdog to Athletico. And maybe some of his games for Portugal, but I don't know about which specific ones. In his last 2 seasons for Juventus they were knocked out by mighty Ajax and this season mighty Lyon.

Pablo18th

What? When?
Copa del Rey vs Barcelona 2011
Laliga away to Barcelona 2012(Barcelona were better for most of the 9 years)
Portugal vs Spain WC 2018 (didn't win but still)
Netherlands vs Portugal Euro 2012
Came back from 2-0 down twice in the UCL with hat-tricks.

This is off the top of my head I'm sure there are more.

manutdrphenomenal

Why is he lucky?
talent aside he obviously has luck. You need many things to fall for you in order to achieve what he has. One bad injury could have killed his entire career. Random injuries could have stopped him from fulfilling his potential and so many other things.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
talent aside he obviously has luck. You need many things to fall for you in order to achieve what he has. One bad injury could have killed his entire career. Random injuries could have stopped him from fulfilling his potential and so many other things.
What an odd stick to beat him with.

SirAF

Ageist
Sure there is an element of luck, but it‘s also the result of an insane dedication to training, recovery and nutrition.

VP

I don't know why I keep revisiting this thread, especially since it's just the same endless arguments. But I'm genuinely fascinated by Ronaldo fanboyism. I don't know whether it's driven by social media but there is a group of loyal Ronaldo fanboys that seem to infest all corners the internet (this place included). On the face of it, they all seem to be the same: full-time Ronaldo fans, part-time football fans. But on closer examination, it's a bit more nuanced. Based on an extensive anthropological assessment, I believe there are three groups within this species:

Yank fanboys - this group got into football late and having grown up on a diet of American sport, they now specialize in applying nonsensical American concepts like 'clutch' to the beautiful game. They talk a lot about football but likely never played the game. They only tune in for the CL knock-outs (or playoffs) and consequently think that's the only football in the world. Crucially, they mistake shouting and tantrums for leadership and, unsurprisingly, are highly likely to vote for Trump.

Besotted fanboys - these are folks, usually teenagers, with a near-homoerotic obsession with Ronaldo. They usually congregate on Ronaldo's Instagram feed but can occasionally stray elsewhere. If Ronaldo had Ribery's face, he'd lose this group and with it 40% of his fanboy base.

Portuguese fanboys - probably the smallest and only justifiable subgroup. Ronaldo is arguably the greatest Portuguese ever and naturally attracts a loyal following from his compatriots.

This is ongoing work so look forward to others' insights :)

On a serious note, I do hope this trend of 'supporting a player' is a one-off because of two all-time greats playing at the same time and not a sign of things to come.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1/3 being pens right? How many did he score in all comps for Juve? 15?
He scored 48 goals this season in all competitions for Juventus and Portugal, and he is 35 already, I think he deserves some respect, even for haters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't know why I keep revisiting this thread, especially since it's just the same endless arguments. But I'm genuinely fascinated by Ronaldo fanboyism. I don't know whether it's driven by social media but there is a group of loyal Ronaldo fanboys that seem to infest all corners the internet (this place included). On the face of it, they all seem to be the same: full-time Ronaldo fans, part-time football fans. But on closer examination, it's a bit more nuanced. Based on an extensive anthropological assessment, I believe there are three groups within this species:

Yank fanboys - this group got into football late and having grown up on a diet of American sport, they now specialize in applying nonsensical American concepts like 'clutch' to the beautiful game. They talk a lot about football but likely never played the game. They only tune in for the CL knock-outs (or playoffs) and consequently think that's the only football in the world. Crucially, they mistake shouting and tantrums for leadership and, unsurprisingly, are highly likely to vote for Trump.

Besotted fanboys - these are folks, usually teenagers, with a near-homoerotic obsession with Ronaldo. They usually congregate on Ronaldo's Instagram feed but can occasionally stray elsewhere. If Ronaldo had Ribery's face, he'd lose this group and with it 40% of his fanboy base.

Portuguese fanboys - probably the smallest and only justifiable subgroup. Ronaldo is arguably the greatest Portuguese ever and naturally attracts a loyal following from his compatriots.

This is ongoing work so look forward to others' insights :)

On a serious note, I do hope this trend of 'supporting a player' is a one-off because of two all-time greats playing at the same time and not a sign of things to come.
Someone once told me that being a fan of individual players is normal in America. They will switch allegiances from club to club if their favourite player moves. So we know who to blame for this whole “supporting a player” thing.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He scored 48 goals this season in all competitions for Juventus and Portugal, and he is 35 already, I think he deserves some respect, even for haters.
Again with the national team stats.
Dude nobody ever counted goals scored for their national team but here there has to be an exception for the Jordan of the Football world :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Again with the national team stats.
Dude nobody ever counted goals scored for their national team but here there has to be an exception for the Jordan of the Football world :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't really get the Ronaldo bashing but this national team nonsense needs to stop, he doesn't need to have his stats doctored. :lol:

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
The CR fanboys would hype up a 30 goal season, even if every single one was a pen

KeanoMagicHat

But he's won 10 La Ligas, 6 Copa Del Reys, 4 Champions League, 3 World Club Clubs as the lead player in the team for the majority of them. When he dribbled from the halfway line against Athletic Bilbao in the Copa Del Rey final, or dribbled past 3-4 players against Real Madrid in 2011 Champions League, was that not leading by example? Or should have shouted more?

Or you know taking a ball off Koulibaly last night through intensive pressing at 33 years of age, when he has already won everything there is to win for Barcelona. Is that not hunger?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I will never understand fanboys. Sure under 18 is fine but when you’re in your 20s and up? I don’t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.