g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJJ

but without cr7 goal it wouldnt be that great

Champions league needed hat goal, fans needed that goal

Portugal and most importantly lisbon fans needed that goal
One of my friends, dont know whether to laugh or cry.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
:lol: I like ronaldo but I hope they go out in the first round ,cant wait to rub it in his face when the "most complete footballer" the world has ever seen cant even win is team a world cup.
Now, now MJJ, always put village first :p We need Ronnie boy to win his 3rd balloon. Portugal need to reach quarters or semis with Ronaldo banging 4-5 to seal that fecking farce of a trophy which the midget has won four times. I don't want future generation to cross me on it when I will tell them how Ronaldo was better player than Messi :lol:

MJJ

Now, now MJJ, always put village first :p We need Ronnie boy to win his 3rd balloon. Portugal need to reach quarters or semis with Ronaldo banging 4-5 to seal that fecking farce of a trophy which the midget has won four times. I don't want future generation to cross me on it when I will tell them how Ronaldo was better player than Messi :lol:
:lol: Meh..both of them wont win a worldcup so we can safely promote the myth that janujaz was actually better than them both in a few decades. As long as neymar and messi dont do anything special or above average in the WC, that balon d'or is his.

The Man Himself

:lol: Meh..both of them wont win a worldcup so we can safely promote the myth that janujaz was actually better than them both in a few decades. As long as neymar and messi dont do anything special or above average in the WC, that balon d'or is his.
Sounds like a plan.

Ya, if a player does exceptionally well at world cup, everything else takes back seat. I hope Germany wins it with 'team effort.' :keano:

The Man Himself

A string of 1-0 victories for a smaller nation works for me as well.Germany will choke in the semis- they are like south africa of football.
hehe. Ya but only recently.

Careful about 1-0 victories for smaller nations like England though :p Liverpool fans might start petition to declare Gerrard as incarnation of God.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Easy to see why he might rub people the wrong way. I don't understand how anyone can not admire his insatiable desire and determination to become the best though, but each to their own, I suppose.

What was he doing down at Real Madrid's corner flag before Bale scored though? I thought he was supposed to just stand up top and wait for someone to serve him an open goal!

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
He was the one who tracked back to stop the Atletico counter which led to the Real counter for Bale to score didn't he?

No, I am not saying it was down to Ronaldo (down to Di Maria in my opinion). Just an observation that he was willing to go back and help
He wasn't 100% fit that's why he didn't try to outrun the defenders but he had a good game since he defended and passed the ball

Raul Madrid

His celebration was a bit much bit I am struggling to find any fecks to give. Anyone with half a brain knows that the final wasn't all about him. All of the players were important and the final is not the only important game. He certainly did his job in both legs vs Bayern. What a year it has been for him to win the balon dor, the pichichi, top goal scorer in the cl and setting the record for most goals scored in the cl in a single season, joint golden boot winner in less games than suarez and the copa del ray and Madrid 10th cl. He could retire now and would still be remembered as one of the best players ever for Madrid and the whole of football. Hopefully he carries on this form for the rest of the year and beyond and wins the next ballon dor and most importantly more trophies for Madrid.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His celebration was a bit much bit I am struggling to find any fecks to give. Anyone with half a brain knows that the final wasn't all about him. All of the players were important and the final is not the only important game. He certainly did his job in both legs vs Bayern. What a year it has been for him to win the balon dor, the pichichi, top goal scorer in the cl and setting the record for most goals scored in the cl in a single season, joint golden boot winner in less games than suarez and the copa del ray and Madrid 10th cl. He could retire now and would still be remembered as one of the best players ever for Madrid and the whole of football. Hopefully he carries on this form for the rest of the year and beyond and wins the next ballon dor and most importantly more trophies for Madrid.
Where would you rank him in the greatest of all time category ?

Malva

it was a good year for him. not his best year, but he finally won the cl with madrid and that's the ultimate prize.

The Man Himself

Oh God NO!!! I read on the guardian a few days back he was out, back to hoping uruguay fail even though I think they will do well.
The recovery time is said to be between 2 to 6 weeks. Depends how quickly he gets back fit

Raul Madrid

Where would you rank him in the greatest of all time category ?
Probably the second tier. I would have players like Pele, di Stefano, messi and maradona ahead of him. He is definitely not as creative or as naturally talented as those guys. But he has shown in his career, through talent and hard work he can be the best player in the world in given moments as shown by him winning the balon dor and other individual awards even with messi around. So maybe If he maintains this level for several more years people will be forced to consider him among the best ever in the top tier even though he is not as naturally talented as them. Its a long shot but with Ronaldo who knows. I don't think many people expected him or any player to be scoring and playing like this at 29. He constantly proves people wrong including myself. If the balon dor was to be handed out now it would be him that deserves it. So far he has had a better international career than messi also.

Annahnomoss

I am a bit sorry for Ronaldo, CL/WC finals are usually what we judge all-time greats with as they all have such amazing careers. He really would have taken some steps up in those rankings if he had dominate a CL final and carried his team to the victory.

He's also already ticked all the other boxes and just misses that last one and very likely this was his last chance.

I don't think this CL final performance changes his ranking in the all-time great list, of course his overall goal-record does though in the CL this season. Beating Messi's record, who played for a much much better team and as a striker rather than out wide is impressive.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The celebration doesn't really bother me - it's the biggest game of his club career and he got his name on the score-sheet, further cementing his place as one of the greatest players ever.

He wins the Champions League with his dream club, the record extending win that they're obsessed over for so long - of course he's going to lose it completely.

In decades to come when retrospectives of his career are shown, he will rightly be celebrated for his Real Madrid achievements.

He's a Real Madrid legend, and will probably be considered their best ever player once he retires.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Get a grip. Football is theatre. If the game was full of players with magnolia personalities like Messi it would be worse off for it.

When Bale scored Ronaldo had just ran the entire length of the pitch to tackle an Athletico player on the edge of his own box. He looked absolutely shattered and was walking back.

Ronaldo is supposed to be a stand up guy in real life. Hayley McQueen said that he used to brew up for the reception staff when he was at United and that he is the total opposite of his public persona. He also does a lot of charity work for which he seeks no publicity.

That he isn't content if he doesn't score makes him the great player that he is. 17 goals in 11 games in this competition is a big part of why his teammates have won that trophy. Do you think that Bale and co would want to change him?
Am sure this is quickly forgotten in the minds of those who want to label him as self-absorbed and being desperate to score a goal.

Not one of our former players or managers has has a bad word to say about him, yet so many on here are apparently able to discern what type of person he really is. Ridiculous.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Probably the second tier. I would have players like Pele, di Stefano, messi and maradona ahead of him. He is definitely not as creative or as naturally talented as those guys. But he has shown in his career, through talent and hard work he can be the best player in the world in given moments as shown by him winning the balon dor and other individual awards even with messi around. So maybe If he maintains this level for several more years people will be forced to consider him among the best ever in the top tier even though he is not as naturally talented as them. Its a long shot but with Ronaldo who knows. I don't think many people expected him or any player to be scoring and playing like this at 29. He constantly proves people wrong including myself. If the balon dor was to be handed out now it would be him that deserves it. So far he has had a better international career than messi also.
I get the impression that perceptions of Ronaldo are juxtaposed against the era in which he played, during he went long stretches in which he wasn't the best player in the world. If Messi didn't exist, I'd imagine Ronaldo would be sitting on 5 or so Ballon D'ors and would be considered in the upper echelon with the all time greats. Agree with you on Messi - he's already done enough to be in the GOAT discussion.

Baxter

I can't see anyone beating that record. 17 goals is absolutely ridiculous.

Raul Madrid

I can't see anyone beating that record. 17 goals is absolutely ridiculous.
It will be beaten. There are some awful teams in the group stage and with clubs spending more and more to enhance their teams and squads making matches more one sided its only a matter of time. That doesn't take away from the achievement though, you can only beat whats in front of you. If someone beats the record it doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better player than Ronaldo just like Ronaldo is not better than messi because he beat his record.

Status
Not open for further replies.