Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It will be beaten. There are some awful teams in the group stage and with clubs spending more and more to enhance their teams and squads making matches more one sided its only a matter of time. That doesn't take away from the achievement though, you can only beat whats in front of you. If someone beats the record it doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better player than Ronaldo just like Ronaldo is not better than messi because he beat his record.
You couldn't make a better attack then Madrids for Ronaldo to get the goals though, all hard workers but play so quickly giving Ronaldo the opportunity to get the record. Don't think it'll be beaten anytime soon. Messi would have the best chance but nobody else scores goals anywhere near as prolific as those 2 do.

Rezyuz

You couldn't make a better attack then Madrids for Ronaldo to get the goals though, all hard workers but play so quickly giving Ronaldo the opportunity to get the record. Don't think it'll be beaten anytime soon. Messi would have the best chance but nobody else scores goals anywhere near as prolific as those 2 do.
Ronaldo would disagree. Think he would have Ozil back behind him over anyone. Also Benzema is just...really useless in the Madrid system. They desperately need a striker that can feed the wingers.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
So far he has had a better international career than messi also.
Wouldn't say so, they're roughly in the same level in that regard. What has Ronaldo done above Messi at an international level?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Final of Euro 2004
Semi/4th WC 2006?

Dragged Portugal to this World Cup.
Can you really individualize Ronaldo as the driving force behind the first two? I might as well say Paulo Ferreira had a better international career than Messi then. He did very well considering what was expected of a player of his age, but not really noteworthy.

The last is bonkers, he had an amazing display against Sweden after being incredibly underwhelming during the group stage. He "dragged us" through the play-off. Was being booed almost every game until then.

Overall, neither have done anything extraordinary. The stage is theirs to surprise us in that regard. I'd like to see one of them do a Forlán, but am not expecting it.

Raul Madrid

Messi didn't? He was good in SA. As good (and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things) as Ronaldo in 2006.
I wouldn't say he was as good Ronaldo in 06. Ronaldo was going to win the young player of the tournament but because of English fans complaining about him the award went to podolski. Ronaldo also was good at euro 2004 and euro 2012. He was the joint top scorer at euro 2012 and got into the official euro 2004 and 2012 team of the tournament. Messi plays with better attacking players with argentina too. Im not saying Ronaldo is as good as someone with his talent should be at international level but I would say he has been comfortably better than messi has been. If he played with argentina and the attacking players they have he would have done even better imo.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I wouldn't say he was as good Ronaldo in 06. Ronaldo was going to win the young player of the tournament but because of English fans complaining about him the award went to podolski. Ronaldo also was good at euro 2004 and euro 2012. He was the joint top scorer at euro 2012 and got into the official euro 2004 and 2012 team of the tournament. Messi plays with better attacking players with argentina too. Im not saying Ronaldo is as good as someone with his talent should be at international level but I would say he has been comfortably better than messi has been. If he played with argentina and the attacking players they have he would have done even better imo.
Both have been competent in the tournaments they've been called so far. Both were surprising as young players in their first appearances, and both have recently contributed to their teams not being utter shit. Ronaldo scores more, Messi assists more. None have raised them to above expected. The rest is nitpicking. Joint top scorer? :lol: Yeah, he was good, but you're better off mentioning how important he was in the game against Holland than looking for a meaningless title such as joint [with 5 other dudes] top scorer [with 3 goals]. Messi was top assister in Copa America... Both can and should do better. Lesser players have performed a lot better than either of them.

stevoc

50+ goals for the 4th season in a row from the wing (sort of) at £80m we were actually robbed.

Raul Madrid

Both have been competent in the tournaments they've been called so far. Both were surprising as young players in their first appearances, and both have recently contributed to their teams not being utter shit. Ronaldo scores more, Messi assists more. None have raised them to above expected. The rest is nitpicking. Joint top scorer? :lol: Yeah, he was good, but you're better off mentioning how important he was in the game against Holland than looking for a meaningless title such as joint [with 5 other dudes] top scorer [with 3 goals]. Messi was top assister in Copa America... Both can and should do better. Lesser players have performed a lot better than either of them.
Im sure you would agree that the euros are tougher than the copa America. And yes top scorer while not being an out and out striker and while playing for a defensive team that relies on counterattack along with getting into the team of the tournament is not a bad achievement and while maybe laughable to you is still more than anything messi has done for argentina. I never said Ronaldo was great at all at international level, just better than messi at international tournaments which isn't much of an achievement. Messi could be absolutely brilliant at this world cup and surpass ronaldos international career but so far I do not think he has. You also have to take into account that argentina have much better attacking players than Portugal and that messi has more to work with. Portugal are a good team that I like a lot but they go far through hard work and keeping it tight at the back and not through individual class which is a big difference to argentina. If you had them swap teams then I think it would be hard to argue that Ronaldo would do even better. I don't think anyone can deny that Ronaldo adapts much better than messi.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, seriously. It can't be normal that we're winning 3-1 in a CL final and I'm telling my missus that he'll better score or he won't be happy celebrating as the rest of the team.

I get that he's a perfecionist and all that, but come on... stop trying to steal the limelight every fecking second of your life when you have enough genuine opportunities to do so.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Im sure you would agree that the euros are tougher than the copa America. And yes top scorer while not being an out and out striker and while playing for a defensive team that relies on counterattack along with getting into the team of the tournament is not a bad achievement and while maybe laughable to you is still more than anything messi has done for argentina. I never said Ronaldo was great at all at international level, just better than messi at international tournaments which isn't much of an achievement. Messi could be absolutely brilliant at this world cup and surpass ronaldos international career but so far I do not think he has. You also have to take into account that argentina have much better attacking players than Portugal and that messi has more to work with. Portugal are a good team that I like a lot but they go far through hard work and keeping it tight at the back and not through individual class which is a big difference to argentina. If you had them swap teams then I think it would be hard to argue that Ronaldo would do even better. I don't think anyone can deny that Ronaldo adapts much better than messi.
If Euros are tougher than Copa America (I'd just call them different) than Ronaldo really gets an advantage in this comparison, doesn't he? With twice as many tournaments up for consideration.

I don't think anything is laughable about Ronaldo, he's invaluable for us, I was just laughing at the "joint top scorer" tag, because, well, 3 goals at a Euros are not impressive by themselves even if it means top scorer. Didn't say he didn't perform well. But Messi usually performs well too. Just doesn't take them a step up. Like Ronaldo. And that's my point. It doesn't compute with being "comfortably better". I actually think they're awfully similar. Even their goal-per-game ratio is similar, and the context they're scored quite similar as well (lots of goals in friendlies or crap teams in qualifiers intermixed with the occasional top performance in a crucial match).

How does Ronaldo adapt better when he plays exactly the same position and role for Portugal as he does for Madrid, with the expected lesser productivity? That's not adaptation. He would be adapting if he could play as a striker (which we need most) but he can't, or if he could be as prolific here as he's at Madrid (unrealistic expectation), but he can't. Messi no the other hand can adapt in a slightly different role in Argentina, so they can make use of their excellent strikers.

Super Nani

Oh how I miss him in a United shirt! Happy for him to win it again, he deserves it and it clearly meant the world to him.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I mean, seriously. It can't be normal that we're winning 3-1 in a CL final and I'm telling my missus that he'll better score or he won't be happy celebrating as the rest of the team.

I get that he's a perfecionist and all that, but come on... stop trying to steal the limelight every fecking second of your life when you have enough genuine opportunities to do so.
I think his behavior is despicable, really. Gets away with it out of being so damn good. He doesn't mean any harm, but he's rather naive in his perception of how other people seem him, and any player with remotely similar antics would be laughed/despised everywhere. It annoys me to bits when he starts waiving his arms frantically pissed because some team-mate missed a pass to him 10 minutes into a game.

That really is the reason he isn't even more loved. Not because people envy his looks or money, like he once put it.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I think his behavior is despicable, really. Gets away with it out of being so damn good. He doesn't mean any harm, but he's rather naive in his perception of how other people seem him, and any player with remotely similar antics would be laughed/despised everywhere. It annoys me to bits when he starts waiving his arms frantically pissed because some team-mate missed a pass to him 10 minutes into a game.

That really is the reason he isn't even more loved. Not because people envy his looks or money, like he once put it.
I couldn't agree more. He looks like an Adonis who's talented to bits when it comes to football, but if he was a bit smarter about how people perceive him, he'd be adored by neutral football fans too and not only by the the fanboys who're blinded by their love for his success. It's a shame really, he could be so much moe if it wasn't for his vanity. Which is a bit ironic as we all know he just wants to be loved so much.

Raul Madrid

If Euros are tougher than Copa America (I'd just call them different) than Ronaldo really gets an advantage in this comparison, doesn't he? With twice as many tournaments up for consideration.

I don't think anything is laughable about Ronaldo, he's invaluable for us, I was just laughing at the "joint top scorer" tag, because, well, 3 goals at a Euros are not impressive by themselves even if it means top scorer. Didn't say he didn't perform well. But Messi usually performs well too. Just doesn't take them a step up. Like Ronaldo. And that's my point. It doesn't compute with being "comfortably better". I actually think they're awfully similar. Even their goal-per-game ratio is similar, and the context they're scored quite similar as well (lots of goals in friendlies or crap teams in qualifiers intermixed with the occasional top performance in a crucial match).

How does Ronaldo adapt better when he plays exactly the same position and role for Portugal as he does for Madrid, with the expected lesser productivity? That's not adaptation. He would be adapting if he could play as a striker (which we need most) but he can't, or if he could be as prolific here as he's at Madrid (unrealistic expectation), but he can't. Messi no the other hand can adapt in a slightly different role in Argentina, so they can make use of their excellent strikers.
Ronaldo can play as a second striker too which he did in his first season for Madrid behind higuain and he did well and he played up front for united and Madrid in a few big games and sometimes did well but other times did poor. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Ronaldo adapting better as it doesn't really have any place in this conversation, but Ronaldo has being doing well for portugal for quite a few years apart from the time he went 10 months or so without a goal but in his defence the team was playing extremely defensively. Apart from 2007, messi did not perform consistently for argentina until 2011. I would definitely consider the euros to be tougher as in the last two world cups the semi finals have had 7 European teams and in that sense Ronaldo has the advantage in that he gets to perform in a tougher tournament whereas most people wouldn't be near as bothered if messi had a good copa America tournament but that is not ronaldos fault. Its not messis fault either that argentina have better attacking players than Portugal. All you can do is make the best of what you have and Ronaldo has done that more so than messi. Ronaldo has played a part in getting his team to a euros final, a world cup semi final and the euro 2012 semi final (with that brilliant top scorer award also :p). Messis international career has not come close to that apart from a copa America final in 07 where they had to beat mexico and peru to get there which is not the same as England, spain, Holland and the Czech republic. Nobody expects Portugal to win one of these tournaments and argentina are always expected to do well. Ronaldo has made more with what he has so far than messi, but you are right when you say that they can do more.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Has he started the 'God knows what happens in the summer' yet? Messi got a new contract, which means he would be angling for one now. God knows what kind of bonus Madrid has written into his contract if they win the 'Decima'

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I couldn't agree more. He looks like an Adonis who's talented to bits when it comes to football, but if he was a bit smarter about how people perceive him, he'd be adored by neutral football fans too and not only by the the fanboys who're blinded by their love for his success. It's a shame really, he could be so much moe if it wasn't for his vanity. Which is a bit ironic as we all know he just wants to be loved so much.
To be fair, there's an awful lot of people who'd behave like he does if they were where he is. He's not the most self aware person, perhaps but he does always seem like a genuinely good bloke. He's just a bit of a bell end, can't begrudge a man being a bell end.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair, there's an awful lot of people who'd behave like he does if they were where he is. He's not the most self aware person, perhaps but he does always seem like a genuinely good bloke. He's just a bit of a bell end, can't begrudge a man being a bell end.
:lol: Very true. Don't get me wrong with what I'm saying though, he's not the perfect footballer with his antics but he's 200% more perfect than I'd (and probably most of us) would ever be. With the amount of succes, money he earns and talented as he is, I'd probably be dancing in my undies after an assist, let alone a goal in a CL final. I know it's easy for us armchair critics

It's all about perception though, I honestly believe Messi is probably a bigger cnut in real life than Ronaldo, but he's smarter in portraying himself to the outside world. I have no doubt in my mind Ronaldo is a great person seeing how much he gives to charity and all that. But I get the impression he's a bit naive as to how the public opinion thinks of him through his actions on the field. Maybe he's just so rich and successful that he doesn't fecking care, who knows. Certainly not us commoners...

Keenst

That celebration was laughable :lol:

If you didn't know any better you'd think he was taking the piss!

RedStarUnited

Ronaldo would disagree. Think he would have Ozil back behind him over anyone. Also Benzema is just...really useless in the Madrid system. They desperately need a striker that can feed the wingers.
No offence but I think thats bullshit. Benzema is a great striker for them. He is one of the best players in the build up and holding up. All that and 25 goals a season, and you call him useless?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I share the idea that he looks friendly, but he does take bell-endery to an amazing level.

There aren't that many professional footballers at his level that so actively seek the limelight and look so distressed when things aren't going that well individually irrespective of how well the team is doing, most just want their team to win (or at lest act like it). This doesn't come across very well. Fortunately for him, he delivers and people with time warm up to this. I have little doubts that his attitude was the cause of all his problems and unhappiness at Madrid recently, but it was solved through his sheer quality and their perception that they need him to succeed.

Likewise, if you exclude Sporting fans, he was almost universally disliked in his own home country up until a couple of years ago. Like at Madrid, people have recently warmed up to him due to his performances, and because people "patriotically" like to claim his accolades as their own. All that whining due to not being "loved" here without the ability to discern that this was due to giving Benfica fans the finger in their own stadium and taking provocative tirades at Porto fans after scoring the goal of the year against us. Would anyone be calling this guy a nice bloke if he was some random dude in your high school, or would any neutral respect him if he wasn't such a sublime footballer? Other players are mocked and despised for a lot less...

I was about to say about Messi exactly what Vato said. And Ronaldo having worse press isn't the world biased against him, like a few fans suggest every now and again, but rather him making his own bed in the way he presents himself.

Treble

Football stars are generally false heroes. Most of them are poorly educated and plainly stupid off the pitch. It's a bad sign of the times that they are much more famous and rich than the best scientists on the planet, the ones from whose insights we expect solutions for our most serious problems: poverty, oppresssion, cancer, climate change etc. In any case, Ronaldo's behaviour isn't even remotely as bad as what Giggs did to his brother. Now, that's a despicable behaviour, isn't it? What do we think about that? Or because it didn't happen in a football game, it didn't matter.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
feck sakes. He wasn't even celebrating the Ramos goal was he? Almost the entire Madrid team was near the corner flag except him.

ricky-romeo

feck sakes. He wasn't even celebrating the Ramos goal was he? Almost the entire Madrid team was near the corner flag except him.
:lol: that's ronaldo for you.

still a great player though. 50 goals a season for how many seasons now? 17 CL goals. he is incredible. not his day for sure but we can assume he is not 100% fit. i'm sure he is very popular inside the dressing room. i mean scoring a penalty, the 4th goal, a pretty much meaningless goal and his teammate still mobbed him at the corner flag, he must be doing something right there.

ManniKaltz

:lol: that's ronaldo for you.

still a great player though. 50 goals a season for how many seasons now? 17 CL goals. he is incredible. not his day for sure but we can assume he is not 100% fit. i'm sure he is very popular inside the dressing room. i mean scoring a penalty, the 4th goal, a pretty much meaningless goal and his teammate still mobbed him at the corner flag, he must be doing something right there.
Can only say from interviews with German (ex)team mates but Khedira, Özil, and Sahin all talk very highly of Ronaldo on and off the pitch.

I also found it remarkable how bluntly Ronaldo came out in an interview a couple of days after Özil was sold and questioned this decision, stating that Özil knew best how he, Ronaldo, run and enabled him to score. I can't recall any other Real player who was as frank as Ronaldo in acknowledging Özil's value for Real's success.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: Very true. Don't get me wrong with what I'm saying though, he's not the perfect footballer with his antics but he's 200% more perfect than I'd (and probably most of us) would ever be. With the amount of succes, money he earns and talented as he is, I'd probably be dancing in my undies after an assist, let alone a goal in a CL final. I know it's easy for us armchair critics

It's all about perception though, I honestly believe Messi is probably a bigger cnut in real life than Ronaldo, but he's smarter in portraying himself to the outside world. I have no doubt in my mind Ronaldo is a great person seeing how much he gives to charity and all that. But I get the impression he's a bit naive as to how the public opinion thinks of him through his actions on the field. Maybe he's just so rich and successful that he doesn't fecking care, who knows. Certainly not us commoners...
THe thing with Ronaldo, you just know he's not pretending. He cried when he felt like it, he sulked when he didn't score, and he's pounding his chest when he thought he just scored a worldy. On that ceremony, he didn't pretend that he liked it when Messi got that Ballon d'Or. He's just emotionally genuine guy, and some prefer people like that.

He's been like that since his days at United, and I'm surprised people can't get used to it and always use it as a stick to (a bit) undermining him.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
In any case, Ronaldo's behaviour isn't even remotely as bad as what Giggs did to his brother. Now, that's a despicable behaviour, isn't it? What do we think about that?
Majestically put. They will ignore it though, Giggsy is a shining knight.

Ronaldo is ten times the man Giggs is.

Rossa

You see it's this stuff here that is just ridiculous. Strangely enough not everyone cares about glorious pecks. Sporting achievement, fame and an incredibly toned body are way down on the list of things I (and dozens of others) value in life. I genuinely couldn't care less about any of that. If I were to be jealous of anything Ronaldo has then it'd be more to do with his family, the ability to contribute significantly to charities etc. If you admire him because of his sporting achievements and body then that's great, that's normal, but it's also normal that some people value these significantly less than you. Sometimes people don't like his persona simply because they don't like his persona. No underlying motives, no hidden agenda, it just is what it is. Haters and celebrity jealousy. Seriously, this place.
Why is it ridiculous when half the posters who slag him talk about him just wanting to brag about himself and show off his pecks? I didn't say what you did or did not, nor did I know you held a grudge against him.If I were to admire him, I would admire him because of his dedication to what he does, not because of his fame, pecks, charity, etc, and I haven't the faintest idea about his family or how they work on a day to day basis.

I think a lot of people criticize him for acting differently than British players do. Why do United supporters dislike a player who has done nothing but speak positively about our club, management and players? Is it because you don't like the way he acts on the pitch when he shows feelings this way or that? What it is then, is slightly weird, and nothing is just what it is - there is always cause and effect, reasons for thinking this or thinking that, be it implicit motifs or explicit thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.