Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Football is much more complicated than the way @Marcosdeto presented it, just because many of those goals he scored weren't decisive, it doesn't mean Real Madrid would have won the CL without him. Killing off an opponent is also important and who is to say that without his goals, in certain matches, the opposing team wouldn't have overturned the result. Basically it's impossible to say what would have happened one way or the other, the only thing that is sure is that scoring 17 goals is a great record, he surpassed Messi statistically wise in one season. The rest are pointless conjectures.
Yours are conjectures. Mines are facts. I dont think that Ronaldo's last second goal against atletico Madrid made a difference.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I just don't understand why it needs so much debate, football is a team game, no player alone, despite the impressive goalscoring, will win a trophy on his own.
Ronaldo scored many goals, he helped his team but overall they won the CL as a team. It's more or less the same thing when caftards say RVP won us the title, I find it stupid really.

Yours are conjectures. Mines are facts. I dont think that Ronaldo's last second goal against atletico Madrid made a difference.
Yes for that particular one but I'm pointing out your general simple logic.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I just don't understand why it needs so much debate, football is a team game, no player alone, despite the impressive goalscoring, will win a trophy on his own.
Ronaldo scored many goals, he helped his team but overall they won the CL as a team. It's more or less the same thing when caftards say RVP won us the title, I find it stupid really.
well, that's exactly what was said about maradona playing for napoli and argentina, but hey, it was used as an argument against messi

now, when is used as an argument against ronaldo, then we have a real debate

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
well, that's exactly what was said about maradona playing for napoli and argentina, but hey, it was used as an argument against messi

now, when is used as an argument against ronaldo, then we have a real debate
How about you show us your legendary class then marcos and rise above these petty discussions ?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
How about you show us your legendary class then marcos and rise above these petty discussions ?
because i love these discussions

they are a win win situation for me, because i love ronaldo and i prefer real madrid over barcelona

so werever the argument goes, i cant lose. i prefer messi, because he is an argie and i like more his style of play, but ronaldo is a feast for the eyes -yes. gay, so what?-

and seriously, i don't know much about anything else in football, so if i don't argue about real madrid and barcelona, ronaldo and messi, what can i argue about in a football forum?

most posters know a lot more about manchester united than myself

Oneunited26

That wasn't the point anyone was trying to prove though (well, I can't speak for marcos :D). I think I originally brought up the whole decisive goals thing (I made the same point for Messi too by the way) in this post, https://www.redcafe.net/threads/cristiano-ronaldo.348358/page-334#post-15763433, in response to some people stating that Cristiano "single-handedly" won RM La Decima... when there is ample evidence that it was NOT a one-man show. In fact comparing it statistically with the previous season it's clear that, even though he scored more goals than anyone ever in a single CL campaign, his contribution to the team remained about the same (scored/assisted 50% of RM's goals in 2012/13 v 51% in 2013/14), so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the rest of the team stepping up is what made a more significant difference than Cristiano's record-breaking 17 goals; ie. the difference between going out in the semi's as previously or playing the Final and winning -- which was reinforced emphatically in the Final itself by Ramos, Di María and Bale.
I looked at that Real Madrid team last year, that was a monster team that for me should have done better in la liga. Check off some of those names, Ramos Alonzo Khedira Ronaldo bale di Maria benzema, that is a scary team.

We do not know if they would have won it without Ronaldo, but they failed in la liga, so if Ronaldo was that influential why couldn't they win both? With that much quality I would expect them to have won the double with what they had on show, but it shows how much of a team atletico were

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
you werent outraged with the "messi has to make it on a cold monday night at britannia stadium" either

you can cry whenever you want, buy that's my prerrogative too

and the fact that many times ronaldo scores goals only when the game is decided, is true and something anyone can see, wheter you like it or not

in fact, against atletico de madrid, during the CL final he was invisible and only appeared to score the penalty and celebrate it as that was the winning goal and not the 4th in a 4 to 1 victory

also it was crystal clear that he didnt celebrate the goals that were giving his team the 10 cl

you may not like that, but that is true too
I don't really care about merit of Ronaldo's CL record, like I did not care about Messi's. Both went on incredible goal runs and deserved to be lauded for that. I leave the bitter stuff for fanbois in different camps.

Not sure where I have cried as well, it is just cringeworthy to see people try to put down Ronaldo's or Messi's every achievement.

It is nothing to do with whether I rate Ronaldo better or Messi. For the record, Messi has been the better player since 2009 with the exception of last season.

You can carry on with whatever agenda you have though.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I don't really care about merit of Ronaldo's CL record, like I did not care about Messi's. Both went on incredible goal runs and deserved to be lauded for that. I leave the bitter stuff for fanbois in different camps.

Not sure where I have cried as well, it is just cringeworthy to see people try to put down Ronaldo's or Messi's every achievement.

It is nothing to do with whether I rate Ronaldo better or Messi. For the record, Messi has been the better player since 2009 with the exception of last season.

You can carry on with whatever agenda you have though.
i will, thank you

and to make it clear to you, i can`t defend messi in messi`s thread without being called a "messi fanboi" so i defend him here

i'll always have the "ronaldo fanboi" card in my sleve. not that i will ever use it, because i think is stupid

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well most discussion here over this bit and that bit was rather pointless and insignificant. Lets see who will win more trophies, awards and have better "end products" over the season, that's what matter most anyways, as always.

Tibs

Definitely among the best 15-30 players who live in or around Madrid!
If you meant 15-30 players who live in and around Madrid, with dark hair, no tattoos and a son, then he has a strong shout for making the list

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If you meant 15-30 players who live in and around Madrid, with dark hair, no tattoos and a son, then he has a strong shout for making the list
Yep, you forgot good-looking though. Only then he might just get in now Özil and Di Maria are gone :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think Ronaldo and Messi are both moving to the next phase of their careers now. After being fabulously consistent and remarkably injury free for years, they've both been through rough patches over the past year or so.

Messi looks like he's going to become the attacking playmaker of a new Barca and sharing out the goals.

Ronaldo looks like he's being groomed to play as part of the front 2 of a Madrid 442 or maybe even as an actual striker. There's a suggestion that as part of the advice given to him on injury prevention he's cutting back on sprinting - similar to the advice given to a much younger Ryan Giggs years ago.

If those patterns continue to develop and aren't just shortterm tactical issues for their managers, then we're actually moving to a much more traditional debate about "best". More like the discussions of Zidane Vs Ronaldo I, rather than the stat driven stuff. At any rate if the changes mean they can both play at or close to the top for longer then that can only be a good thing.

Reactions: Marcosdeto

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

backtracing a bit.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
If those patterns continue to develop and aren't just shortterm tactical issues for their managers, then we're actually moving to a much more traditional debate about "best". More like the discussions of Zidane Vs Ronaldo I, rather than the stat driven stuff.
It's not going to be much of a debate then, if that's the case.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think Ronaldo and Messi are both moving to the next phase of their careers now. After being fabulously consistent and remarkably injury free for years, they've both been through rough patches over the past year or so.

Messi looks like he's going to become the attacking playmaker of a new Barca and sharing out the goals.

Ronaldo looks like he's being groomed to play as part of the front 2 of a Madrid 442 or maybe even as an actual striker. There's a suggestion that as part of the advice given to him on injury prevention he's cutting back on sprinting - similar to the advice given to a much younger Ryan Giggs years ago.

If those patterns continue to develop and aren't just shortterm tactical issues for their managers, then we're actually moving to a much more traditional debate about "best". More like the discussions of Zidane Vs Ronaldo I, rather than the stat driven stuff. At any rate if the changes mean they can both play at or close to the top for longer then that can only be a good thing.

Ronaldo had a rough patch in the last 12 months? Am I missing something? I thought he had stepped it up another gear.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Ronaldo had a rough patch in the last 12 months? Am I missing something? I thought he had stepped it up another gear.
i agree, besides his mediocre world cup, i don't remember him having a rough patch, in fact he scored a lot of goals in the CL -highest stage of club football-and was la liga top scorer

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He missed a lot of matches in the run-in from the end of the season - only appearing in 5 of the last 12 games (those 5 included the semis and Final of the CL). He missed the Copa final, the second leg against Dortmund and a bunch of Liga matches. When he did play he looked underpowered compared to normal. The CL Final and the WC games were where it showed up most.

I think he took it as a reminder of (footballing) mortality - he's already taken a 3 week mini-break this season, missing Portugal's games and Madrid's defeat by Real Sociedad.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah he definitely looked underwhelming at the business end of the last season. His good performances were there, but more sporadic than usual. Although if you look at his goal record rather than performance there maybe wasn't a big dip...

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Club briefings now are that his wages would be too prohibitive despite our strong interest, as per Ladyman and Ogden today.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yeah he definitely looked underwhelming at the business end of the last season. His good performances were there, but more sporadic than usual. Although if you look at his goal record rather than performance there maybe wasn't a big dip...
He had a knee injury/condition.

Time will tell if he's truly over it. Certainly his current form suggests he is.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He had a knee injury/condition.

Time will tell if he's truly over it. Certainly his current form suggests he is.
I know, I didn't mention it because jojojo already covered that he had an injury.

He's definitely picking up injuries more regularly than he used to though. Achilles the latest setback, but it doesn't seem serious.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Goal after 2 mins. 7th consecutive league game with a goal.

TBE. Viva.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
15 in 11 games so far for Real this season including this one being played.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
15 in 11 games so far for Real this season including this one being played.
The funny thing is that with any other player (bar Messi) you'd see a record like that and see it as incredible. With Ronaldo, it's fairly standard for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.