Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Another game, another goal. It's inevitable. So much so that the press and fans now react more when Messi or Cristiano don't score.

They're 1 & 2 as the best ever. Go see them while they're still playing lads before it's too late.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This could have already been a done deal since last year, similar to his final year with us after the Moscow CL win.

NoPace

There is nothing 'surprising about it. No body can score so many 'decisive' goals.

To stop this tediousness for once, I went through previous record holder's 14 goals in 2011/12 -

-3rd, 4th in 5-0 win
-1st(pen),2nd,4th goal in 4 -0 win
-2nd (penalty) in 2-3 win
-3rd in 3-1 win
-1,2,3,6,7 in 7-1 win
-1,2, (both pens ) in 3-1 win

So going by 'logic' of some posters on here, that's about 6 'meaningful' goals out of 14 which contained 4 penalties, another stat some people like to disparage.
I'm with you on the first part, but penalties are another matter entirely. They're more misleading than they are informative if you're trying to glean information quickly from a goalscoring chart.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I am a huge Ronaldo fan. But do he and his little buddy score so many goals because the Spanish league has more easier defences to play against than other leagues?. Would he and his little buddy score as many in the EPL or Germany?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am a huge Ronaldo fan. But do he and his little buddy score so many goals because the Spanish league has more easier defences to play against than other leagues?. Would he and his little buddy score as many in the EPL or Germany?
La Liga is arguably the best league in the world so it doesn't matter I guess. They have also been by far the top scorer in CL consistently anyways.

RedRevongge

This could have already been a done deal since last year, similar to his final year with us after the Moscow CL win.
We take Falcao on loan to keep him out of the reach of other clubs for year. In exchange Ronaldo joins us next year whilst we give Real a free run at Falcao.....conspiracy ;)

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
If that was the case, why isnt every offensive player scoring at will? And why are raul ronaldo and messi CL top scorers?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You just have to look at how easy Di Maria is finding it in the Premier League to realise that it's not as great as it's cracked up to be. Messi and Ronaldo would have no problems here.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

You can almost see him not giving a feck
For what it's worth, it was already made so public that it was going to happen he was bound to know about it so it was no doubt more of a measured reaction than anything.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There is nothing 'surprising about it. No body can score so many 'decisive' goals.

To stop this tediousness for once, I went through previous record holder's 14 goals in 2011/12 -

-3rd, 4th in 5-0 win
-1st(pen),2nd,4th goal in 4 -0 win
-2nd (penalty) in 2-3 win
-3rd in 3-1 win
-1,2,3,6,7 in 7-1 win
-1,2, (both pens ) in 3-1 win

So going by 'logic' of some posters on here, that's about 6 'meaningful' goals out of 14 which contained 4 penalties, another stat some people like to disparage.
Not entirely true. Gerd Muller in 1972/73 played 6 games and scored a decisive goal in 4 of them (an equaliser in a draw v Galatasaray, the opening goal in a win v Galatasaray, the opening goal in a win against Omonia, and both goals in a 2-1 win v Ajax). It is true that despite the incredible volume of Ronaldo's goals in the CL, the significance of most of those goals was surprisingly low. When you look at it that way it's entirely fair to argue that he wasn't even one of their two best/most important players throughout the tournament because his influence outside of the goals in the vast majority of those games wasn't particularly significant.

Reactions: Marcosdeto

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not entirely true. Gerd Muller in 1972/73 played 6 games and scored a decisive goal in 4 of them (an equaliser in a draw v Galatasaray, the opening goal in a win v Galatasaray, the opening goal in a win against Omonia, and both goals in a 2-1 win v Ajax). It is true that despite the incredible volume of Ronaldo's goals in the CL, the significance of most of those goals was surprisingly low. When you look at it that way it's entirely fair to argue that he wasn't even one of their two best/most important players throughout the tournament because his influence outside of the goals in the vast majority of those games wasn't particularly significant.
Fair enough. My main issue is that this 'meaningful' goals stuff was not brought forward when others like Messi were creating or breaking such records. I went through Messi's best tally above and his was even more of a flat track bully performance.

Regardless Ronaldo was an important part of Real's CL campaign, despite his poor show in the final. He plays a very important role in Real's forward line. Their whole strategy against Bayern for example was partly based on the threat he providers on the counter

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fair enough. My main issue is that this 'meaningful' goals stuff was not brought forward when others like Messi were creating or breaking such records. I went through Messi's best tally above and his was even more of a flat track bully performance.

Regardless Ronaldo was an important part of Real's CL campaign, despite his poor show in the final. He plays a very important role in Real's forward line. Their whole strategy against Bayern for example was partly based on the threat he providers on the counter
I don't follow Ronaldo/Messi debates very closely but I'd be very surprised if someone didn't try and discredit his record at some point. It's not like it's an argument that was created purely for Ronaldo. I've no idea whether Ronaldo was any more decisive than Messi in his best goalscoring season, but I do think both of their seasons show how the record is nothing more than a personal accolade and not necessarily evidence of an outstanding contribution to the team. Neither Messi nor Ronaldo were the most influential players in their teams in either season and it wasn't either player's best season. Ronaldo in 07/08 scored the winning goal against Sporting x2, Roma, Lyon and the opening goal in the CL final which at a glance seems to be more influential than Ronaldo's goals last year...and he managed that despite scoring less than half as many goals.

He was important of course, but less so than both Di Maria and Modric IMO and less so than he has been in previous CL campaigns.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

you werent outraged with the "messi has to make it on a cold monday night at britannia stadium" either

you can cry whenever you want, buy that's my prerrogative too

and the fact that many times ronaldo scores goals only when the game is decided, is true and something anyone can see, wheter you like it or not

in fact, against atletico de madrid, during the CL final he was invisible and only appeared to score the penalty and celebrate it as that was the winning goal and not the 4th in a 4 to 1 victory

also it was crystal clear that he didnt celebrate the goals that were giving his team the 10 cl

you may not like that, but that is true too

Last edited:

Treble

Back then Galatasaray and Omonia were rubbish teams, so that example is hardly convincing. Alone by his presence on the pitch Ronaldo influences games for it opens spaces for his team mates and gives courage to them that they can beat any team. Take the game in which Ronaldo didn't take part - away to Dortmund. Real were rubbish and lucky to go further in the competition. Ronaldo is so much more than scoring "meaningful" goals. To measure Ronaldo's and Messi's influence only in terms of goals and assists isn't a great idea, IMO.

Last edited:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Back then Galatasaray and Omonia were rubbish teams, so that example is hardly convincing. Alone by his presence on the pitch Ronaldo influences games for it opens spaces for his team mates and gives courage to them that they can beat any team. Take the game in which Ronaldo didn't take part - away to Dortmund. Real were rubbish and lucky to go further in the competition. Ronaldo is so much more than scoring "meaningful" goals. To measure Ronaldo's and Messi's influence only in terms of goals and assists isn't a great idea, IMO.
i see. so ronaldo's 17 goals record isnt important

then saying that of his 17 goals most of them werent decisive isn't important

Treble

i see. so ronaldo's 17 goals record isnt important

then saying that of his 17 goals most of them werent decisive isn't important
I hope you can see indeed because I'm afraid you are blinded by your love for Messi. I didn't said that Ronaldo and Messi shouldn't be judged by their stats, I said that their contribution shouldn't be judged ONLY by their stats. There is some difference there for those who can see ;)

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Which 14 year old fangirl hacked marcos' account this time?

Ronaldo>Messi
hehe

they shove you up your face that he scored 17 goals, then you point out that most of his goals didnt make a difference, then that record is not important because ronaldo influences the game in a different way

funny

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I hope you can see indeed because I'm afraid you are blinded by your love for Messi. I didn't said that Ronaldo and Messi shouldn't be judged by their stats, I said that their contribution shouldn't be judged ONLY by their stats. There is some difference there for those who can see ;)
yeah, well, lets talk about the world cup ...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Football is much more complicated than the way @Marcosdeto presented it, just because many of those goals he scored weren't decisive, it doesn't mean Real Madrid would have won the CL without him. Killing off an opponent is also important and who is to say that without his goals, in certain matches, the opposing team wouldn't have overturned the result. Basically it's impossible to say what would have happened one way or the other, the only thing that is sure is that scoring 17 goals is a great record, he surpassed Messi statistically wise in one season. The rest are pointless conjectures.

Treble

yeah, well, lets talk about the world cup ...
Marcos, I'm trying to be pretty objective in my estimation. When Messi was in his peak I wrote several times that he is better than Ronaldo and even better than Maradona and Pele. IMO, he was the best ever. Right now, Ronaldo's better though. That's my opinion.

Treble

Football is much more complicated than the way @Marcosdeto presented it, just because many of those goals he scored weren't decisive, it doesn't mean Real Madrid would have won the CL without him. Killing off an opponent is also important and who is to say that without his goals, in certain matches, the opposing team wouldn't have overturned the result. Basically it's impossible to say what would have happened one way or the other, the only thing that is sure is that scoring 17 goals is a great record, he surpassed Messi statistically wise in one season. The rest are pointless conjectures.
Spot on.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
hehe

they shove you up your face that he scored 17 goals, then you point out that most of his goals didnt make a difference, then that record is not important because ronaldo influences the game in a different way

funny
Just busting your balls, man. I don't really care that much anyway, they're both fantastic players with different qualities. Whoever can't admit that are fooling themselves.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Why couldn't they send a message that we could all get behind. Something like 'Why'd you sign the contract you silly sausage?' would do. We should torment the fella for using us to get a better contract. Get one of those f-ing planes out every game. Enough is enough. No begging. 'Come home and I'll give you a BJ'. Just not right.

Skorenzy

That wasn't the point anyone was trying to prove though (well, I can't speak for marcos :D). I think I originally brought up the whole decisive goals thing (I made the same point for Messi too by the way) in this post, https://www.redcafe.net/threads/cristiano-ronaldo.348358/page-334#post-15763433, in response to some people stating that Cristiano "single-handedly" won RM La Decima... when there is ample evidence that it was NOT a one-man show. In fact comparing it statistically with the previous season it's clear that, even though he scored more goals than anyone ever in a single CL campaign, his contribution to the team remained about the same (scored/assisted 50% of RM's goals in 2012/13 v 51% in 2013/14), so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the rest of the team stepping up is what made a more significant difference than Cristiano's record-breaking 17 goals; ie. the difference between going out in the semi's as previously or playing the Final and winning -- which was reinforced emphatically in the Final itself by Ramos, Di María and Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.