g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He's the hardest working footballer in the world, possibly the hardest working athlete besides Kobe Bryant maybe.

So yes, he deserves it.

Listen, the Ronaldo story is sensational. He's going to win #4 next year and haters are gonna continue hating..but in all honesty we should sit back and enjoy the talent we see before us. It's astonishing to have a player like him in his peak.
except we dont have him

Trizy

I wonder how long it will be before we see another player as exciting as Ronaldo or Messi with the same if not better output? Neymar could arguably put up big numbers but he'll never be as good as those two. United scouts better be looking!

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I wonder how long it will be before we see another player as exciting as Ronaldo or Messi with the same if not better output? Neymar could arguably put up big numbers but he'll never be as good as those two. United scouts better be looking!
With Messi I wouldn't be surprised if there was never another comparable. I am surprised there aren't more like Cristiano Ronaldo though, considering how far he's come through hard work.

Trizy

With Messi I wouldn't be surprised if there was never another comparable. I am surprised there aren't more like Cristiano Ronaldo though, considering how far he's come through hard work.
Bale is probably the closest thing to him at the moment and achieved through hard work. I wonder if he was the star man how many goals he could get.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's the hardest working footballer in the world, possibly the hardest working athlete besides Kobe Bryant maybe.

So yes, he deserves it.

Listen, the Ronaldo story is sensational. He's going to win #4 next year and haters are gonna continue hating..but in all honesty we should sit back and enjoy the talent we see before us. It's astonishing to have a player like him in his peak.
Never said he didn't deserve it - nor that I don't enjoy watching him play football... both of these things are totally independent to thinking that he can be a bit self-obsessed / arrogant at times, but then a lot of great players aren't? He was obviously incredibly happy with himself to win it, and why shouldn't he be aye... but you know, he could be a little less obsessed with winning it, but meh, who cares.

The bit in bold makes me laugh though - it's a cliche that's rolled out everytime, but really... its complete nonsense. Do you have intimate knowledge of every footballer in the world? Never mind every athlete!? I mean, there will be footballers who work just as hard as Ronnie, and me, your, or anyone else won't have a clue because it's impossible to know about everyone....and that's just in football, in terms of athletes in generally? Well you catch my drift.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

So yes, he deserves it.

Are you Taylor Swift?

Oggmonster

I think both of them are douchebags in their own way. Messi's sulking every year due to either wages, managers or tactics are equally cringeworhty.
Ronaldo does that all the time as well though. They both do, because they both know how much money they make for their clubs. Ronaldo has done it countless times with "I love Manchester...who knows where I'll go" bullshit, United fans and the press lap it up every time. It's pretty much become his catchphrase! They both love to play politics and get what they want. I don't blame either for it though as football is a relatively short career so might as well make the most of your marketability whilst you can.

Ronaldo comes across as a massive tit though at times, just so smug about himself it's painful to watch at times.

JUPITER

He's such a douchebag.
"I live in La Finca, Pozuelo de Alarcón. My name is Christiano Ronaldo. I'm 29 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise and beauty routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion."
It's so fitting. You know that the Real Madrid circus world resembles 'Pierce & Pierce' behind closed doors.

Hopefully we'll see a United player back in contention for this award within the next 5 years. Seeing our own fans celebrating a Real Madrid player winning it is just too pathetic.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

So yes, he deserves it.

:lol:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I kind of want to dislike him more than I do. Was watching that documentary last night and had very mixed emotions. They kept cutting from slo mo clips of him celebrating goals for United (warm, fuzzy feelings) to similar clips in a Madrid shirt (profound irritation).

Ultimately, you've got to have massive respect for him as a footballer. Which should outweigh all the metrosexual stylings and obsession with individual glory in the context of a team sport. Plus the very little you learn about him as a person is generally positive.

I end up having to dig quite deep in my bottomless well of bitterness to feel annoyed about how he whined his way out of United and is playing for one of the clubs I most despise. Luckily, that well of bitterness is - as I said - bottomless.

JUPITER

I kind of want to dislike him more than I do. Was watching that documentary last night and had very mixed emotions. They kept cutting from slo mo clips of him celebrating goals for United (warm, fuzzy feelings) to similar clips in a Madrid shirt (profound irritation).

Ultimately, you've got to have massive respect for him as a footballer. Which should outweigh all the metrosexual stylings and obsession with individual glory in the context of a team sport. Plus the very little you learn about him as a person is generally positive.

I end up having to dig quite deep in my bottomless well of bitterness to feel annoyed about how he whined his way out of United and is playing for one of the clubs I most despise. Luckily, that well of bitterness is - as I said - bottomless.
It's nice, talking about feelings and all, but you summed it up better with this...

He's such a douchebag.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's managed to become the best player in the world without being the most naturally talented. Unbelievable work ethic.

Makes you wish you spent 100% of your life playing football as a kid.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Always thought the negativity to him was a bit bizarre, although a great way to get noticed on forums.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Be careful, you'll be susceptible to The Bends coming back up from that depth.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Always thought the negativity to him was a bit bizarre, although a great way to get noticed on forums.
I find is obsessive fans far more annoying that the player himself

His popularity with some Utd fans appears to have grown since his departure. Its crackers

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not as bizarre as the idea that people would create artificial opinions to get noticed on forums. Really?
My point was that negativity and cynicism is an easy way to get noticed on the net, and the CAF is no different. The web is full of anonymous trolls who are generally negative because they feel they can get away with it by hiding behind the anonymity of a profile. The silliness regarding Ronaldo is just an extension of that. That's not to say there are some comparably silly views by his muppet fanboys.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

His popularity with some Utd fans appears to have grown since his departure. Its crackers
I find it a bit annoying as well. Both sides are just annoying because they play off of one another's views and lower the standard of debate.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Messi came out at the Gala saying that Ronaldo is one of the greatest players in the sports history and that he deserves all the recognition he gets. What a cnut that little argie is huh

JUPITER

I find it a bit annoying as well. Both sides are just annoying because they play off of one another's views and lower the standard of debate.
They're just two different subjective opinions though, aren't they?

I don't think either are reacting to one another's views as you say - rather, they're just reacting to Ronaldo himself.

Both facets are true, Ronaldo is statistically very impressive, he's also a less gifted player than Messi, he also works very hard on his game, he's also arrogant and selfish as a player. He did very well at Man Utd for a couple of seasons, he also quite tastelessly manoeuvred a move away to an (at the time) inferior team.

It's up to the hardwiring of the individual which of these truths they lean toward, but neither is wrong or right.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They're just two different subjective opinions though, aren't they?

I don't think either are reacting to one another's views as you say- rather, they're just reacting to Ronaldo himself.

Both facets are true, Ronaldo is statistically very impressive, he's also a less gifted player than Messi, he also works very hard on his game, he's also arrogant and selfish as a player. He did very well at Man Utd for a couple of seasons, he also quite tastelessly manoeuvred a move away to an (at the time) inferior team.

It's up to the hardwiring of the individual which of these truths they lean toward, but neither is wrong or right.
They're definitely reacting to one another's opinions. If there weren't as many "Ronaldo haterz" there wouldn't be as many people defending him. Conversely, if there weren't as many fanboyz, there wouldn't be people in fabricating things to criticize him with.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My point was that negativity and cynicism is an easy way to get noticed on the net, and the CAF is no different. The web is full of anonymous trolls who are generally negative because they feel they can get away with it by hiding behind the anonymity of a profile. The silliness regarding Ronaldo is just an extension of that. That's not to say there are some comparably silly views by his muppet fanboys.
Fair enough. Trolls gonna troll. Surely you can understand why a footballer like Ronaldo will divide opinion, though? No matter which club you support any footballer who is so wrapped up in personal glory is going to attract some critics. As far as some United fans are concerned, it's also irritating to see a protege of the club spend his best years somewhere else, having basically forced his way out of the club. It's very unusual and bound to cause some resentment. Add to the mix the ongoing fervour with which a different minority of United fans still worship him and you've got the perfect story for a footballer who will raise the hackles of fans at the club he once played for.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Congratulations to him.

Been watching football a long time and never seen a fanbase gush like a starry eyed obsessed ex every week like some of the United fans do with Ronaldo :lol:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

So true.
I remember a comment about Ronaldo 'scoring for us' at Anfield.... for Madrid.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Perhaps it's because he's improved as a player. We'll always have an affiliation with Ronaldo, for most of us he's the best player we've seen play for Manchester United. He's a legend, and someone I'll always admire. Not sure why that's an issue.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Just to fan the flames. I agree with Stoichkov, had it not been for his rivals injuries/off the field troubles and his club in turmoil, Ronaldo would probably be trailing 6-1 right now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Just to fan the flames. I agree with Stoichkov, had it not been for his rivals injuries/off the field troubles and his club in turmoil, Ronaldo would probably be trailing 6-1 right now.
God, haha!

What about: Had Guardiola been tired of Barcelona already after one year instead of four years and thus Barca would have been in decline much earlier, Messi would be trailing 6-1?

Fact is that it is as it is, everything else is pure speculation.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I mean, this is like saying had it not been for Ronaldo's hat-trick versus Sweden and two Champions League final goals, Messi would probably be leading 6-1 right now. :lol:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
It doesn't matter who won because Messi will be remembered as a better player.

Jacob

I don't like it when people say Messi is natural and Ronaldo produced. As if that makes is achievements less impressive, it's quite the opposite. Besides, where would Messi be without the growth hormones that he needed? To me, that is producing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.