Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why do people care if he is egotistical or not? I doubt too many Madrid fans give a shit considering what he produces on the pitch and that should always be the main thing. He has worked damn hard to be such a talent and I have read many times that he is always last to leave the training field. He really deserves all the plaudits he gets in my opinion.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You can't compare a sprinter to Ronaldo in a squad full of players, manager and coaching staff. Maybe if at the finish line Bolt had his coach waiting there but he completely blanked him then we would also be criticising his arrogance. There is a time and a place for being arrogant, or at least where it is understandable. Scoring a penalty to make it 4-1 in a Champions League final after having a crap game is not the time and the place.
He did celebrate with his teammates, but he also spared 10sec of posing for himself, it's a new record and he is not allowed to spend a spare 10sec to celebrate it at his home soil?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why do people care if he is egotistical or not? I doubt too many Madrid fans give a shit considering what he produces on the pitch and that should always be the main thing. He has worked damn hard to be such a talent and I have read many times that he is always last to leave the training field. He really deserves all the plaudits he gets in my opinion.
Why do people keep asking this question?

You don't have to "care" about something to comment about it on an internet forum.

In the grand scheme of things, I couldn't give two shites whether Tom Ince will do well in Italy. Does this mean I'm not allowed to discuss the transfer?

I'm sure 99% of the people posting in this thread won't lose any sleep about whether or not Ronaldo is a knob. If they see him acting like one, though, what's your problem with them pointing this out?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Sorry but that story just patently isn´t true. No football club is gonna select players for their academy based on "who scores more" in a particular match.

Agree with the overall point you´re making, he was great with a kid who lost everything in an earthquake a few years ago. But that story is just utterly ridiculous
I didn't write it FWIW so can't really testify for its veracity. Just posting what I read up on some other sites. :)

NK86

Only Ronaldo would get this kind of negative reaction out of a celebration, if it were Messi, he would be praised for it.
I honestly don't remember Messi taking off his shirt in a celebration and posing for it. Do you?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You can't compare a sprinter to Ronaldo in a squad full of players, manager and coaching staff. Maybe if at the finish line Bolt had his coach waiting there but he completely blanked him then we would also be criticising his arrogance. There is a time and a place for being arrogant, or at least where it is understandable. Scoring a penalty to make it 4-1 in a Champions League final after having a crap game is not the time and the place.
You failed to mention it was his 17th goal, all time record. Before he made that pose he did hug with his teammates to celebrate.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
This is all rather absurd, the lad didn't do anything outside the legal or moral confines of the game and yet he gets stick. Is this what a dismal season has reduced us to? arguing aimlessly about whether or not former player of ours and a current CL winner should have celebrated scoring a goal in the CL final?

It was a decent final for us the neutrals and if anything it underscored the gap in quality that we need to make up to be an effective force in world football once again.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He did celebrate with his teammates, but he also spared 10sec of posing for himself, it's a new record and he is not allowed to spend a spare 10sec to celebrate it at his home soil?
Of course he is allowed to do it. But in doing so, he must accept he will have some people on an internet forum calling him an arrogant narcissistic prick. The greatest punishment known to man.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This is all rather absurd, the lad didn't do anything outside the legal or moral confines of the game and yet he gets stick. Is this what a dismal season has reduced us to? arguing aimlessly about whether or not former player of ours and a current CL winner should have celebrated scoring a goal in the CL final?

It was a decent final for us the neutrals and if anything it underscored the gap in quality that we need to make up to be an effective force in world football once again.
So says the man who is entering the exact same debate he apparently scorns...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You failed to mention it was his 17th goal, all time record. Before he made that pose he did hug with his teammates to celebrate.
It's pointless debating it with someone who clearly has a hard-on for him. I have nothing but respect for Ronaldo but that doesn't mean he isn't arrogant and he deserves criticism for it at times.

NK86

Where did this come from? Discussions on Ronaldo and his ego have been going on for ages, even when we won the league. Our performances this season have got nothing to do with what's being discussed here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Of course he is allowed to do it. But in doing so, he must accept he will have some people on an internet forum calling him an arrogant narcissistic prick. The greatest punishment known to man.
I give it up, just remember he didn't celebrate after scoring against us last season out of his respect to us. In return this is how our fans repay him...

NK86

It's pointless debating it with someone who clearly has a hard-on for him. I have nothing but respect for Ronaldo but that doesn't mean he isn't arrogant and he deserves criticism for it at times.
I agree with his being arrogant, but don't agree with the "deserves criticism" for it part. He is one of the best footballers of this generation and it would have been great had he been humble. But him having some ego does not make him bad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Don't get me started on the whole pointedly not celebrating goals against your old team shtick. If ever there was a celebration intended to seek out the spot-light...

Not unique to Ronaldo, of course. They're all fecking at it. Should probably add it to that thread about irritating aspects of modern football.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I agree with his being arrogant, but don't agree with the "deserves criticism" for it part. He is one of the best footballers of this generation and it would have been great had he been humble. But him having some ego does not make him bad.
I'm not saying it makes him bad. But he cannot justify his celebration. If it was the last minute and he scored his third goal to make it 3-0 and celebrated like he did his penalty to make it 4-1 it would have been funny. You would have had no choice but to admire and respect what he did. But in a Champions League final, a team effort, where he has played dross, he scores a last minute inconsequential penalty and makes it so the limelight is on him and not the team :nono:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The criticism are fine but not to this extent, it's not like he bites or dives or hurts anyone, yet such slating has been going on here for several days already.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why do people keep asking this question?

You don't have to "care" about something to comment about it on an internet forum.

In the grand scheme of things, I couldn't give two shites whether Tom Ince will do well in Italy. Does this mean I'm not allowed to discuss the transfer?

I'm sure 99% of the people posting in this thread won't lose any sleep about whether or not Ronaldo is a knob. If they see him acting like one, though, what's your problem with them pointing this out?
If you are posting about something then surely you have some sort of opinion towards it and considering the amount of people who discuss about Ronaldo's ego, clearly they feel strongly about it one way or the other.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Ronaldo is arrogant but that's his choice. It's that confidence that means he can score 50 a season. It doesn't make him a bad person. I think he's a tit for leaving United, especially at the time as he could have a shed load more medals - however, if he's happy he's happy. A happy tit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If you are posting about something then surely you have some sort of opinion towards it and considering the amount of people who discuss about Ronaldo's ego, clearly they feel strongly about it one way or the other.
Of course people criticising him have an opinion. You're making a bit of a leap to infer from this that they "feel strongly about it".

I would wager that the majority of posts in the football forums are about stuff that people don't feel strongly about. I reckon every single one my posts would fall in that category. Doesn't stop me blabbering on though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not saying it makes him bad. But he cannot justify his celebration. If it was the last minute and he scored his third goal to make it 3-0 and celebrated like he did his penalty to make it 4-1 it would have been funny. You would have had no choice but to admire and respect what he did. But in a Champions League final, a team effort, where he has played dross, he scores a last minute inconsequential penalty and makes it so the limelight is on him and not the team :nono:
Quite a contrary he was largely a team player in this match, didn't shoot at half chance like he does usually, he did keep tracking back and passing to his teammates in better position throughout the match.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Quite a contrary he was largely a team player in this match, didn't shoot at half chance like he does usually, he did keep tracking back and passing to his teammates in better position throughout the match.
He had 9 shots in the game...

Miscemayl

Some of the comments here are ridiculous, it's as if they didn't actually watch it and simply relied on the papers to pass judgment.

1st goal : he reacted first to the goal, put his arm up to celebrate, then went to grab the ball because to him, the game wasn't finished and there to be won.
Then he looked up and saw his whole team running off the pitch to celebrate.
He looked bemused at the lack of professionalism.

2nd goal : he just sprinted the length of the pitch to help out with defending.
You can see he started the sequence near the Althetico box, next to someone else who was completely not interested in getting back and help out.
Ronaldo, despite being injured, did the professional thing and sprinted back.
You can see he's quite shattered afterwards, he couldn't make the run up to join in the counter attack.
So I can see why he didn't spend all his energy sprinting up to celebrate, especially when the game is not finished yet.

3rd goal : clear images of him celebrating and smiling

4th goal : he celebrated with the team first, then had a 10 second moment playing to the crowd.
Feck me, what a crime.

This was his home final, probably a final he earmarked well in advance.
A final he was very much in danger of missing due to injury.
A final that risked his participation to the World Cup.
He had a frustrating game, probably had to play through the pain but still gave everything he had right to the end.
So I don't see what's the problem with him releasing all those pressure and stress when he scored that goal.

Those criticizing him probably also said Giggs was a tosser for his celebration for THAT goal...

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yeh he might be a narcissist, but your claim on him being the "biggest narcissist on the face of the planet... did feck all else to get himself noticed.." Well guess who is over the top now, you need to chill out abit.

I mean, Like it or not, he has scored 17 goals, all time record in the history of European football and no one else ever came close during past 5 decades or so. If you could at least look at this objectively without all these hate and anger, afterall it's just a goal celebration, nothing more nothing less.
Alright mate, whatever, you have a picture in your head of me ranting and being angry and hating Ronaldo (I guess by your name you're not being very objective on the matter), I'm not being any of those things.

I'm saying it was a attention seeking, contrived celebration. As you admit yourself - Ronaldo is a narrcicist, so I don't really get what all the fuss is about in saying that. He also didn't do much else during the game, but then he was pretty obviously not match fit.

It's ok, he's still an outstanding player, and a Utd legend, I have a huge amount of respect for him as a player. I'm not telling you to take your posters down or anything ;)

He just acted like a bit of a dickhead, thats all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He had 9 shots in the game...
So? He did track back and pass to his teammates who were in better position than him to which result in 2 other goals scored (pass to Di Maria to Bale header, pass to Marcelo which result in his solo goal)

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
So? He did track back and pass to his teammates who were in better position than him to which result in 2 other goals scored (pass to Di Maria to Bale header, pass to Marcelo which result in his solo goal)
Don't have an issue with that, just the he didn't shoot at half chance like he usually does part. 9 shots is higher than his average per game - expected given it was 30 minutes longer than usual, but not indicative of him choosing his shots more carefully.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Alright mate, whatever, you have a picture in your head of me ranting and being angry and hating Ronaldo (I guess by your name you're not being very objective on the matter), I'm not being any of those things.

I'm saying it was a attention seeking, contrived celebration. As you admit yourself - Ronaldo is a narrcicist, so I don't really get what all the fuss is about in saying that. He also didn't do much else during the game, but then he was pretty obviously not match fit.

It's ok, he's still an outstanding player, and a Utd legend, I have a huge amount of respect for him as a player. I'm not telling you to take your posters down or anything ;)

He just acted like a bit of a dickhead, thats all.
Well it's a direct quote coming from your keyboard you know, who else could you blame :) I see your trying real hard to portrait other as fanboy instead, if that makes you feel better I don't mind.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't have an issue with that, just the he didn't shoot at half chance like he usually does part. 9 shots is higher than his average per game - expected given it was 30 minutes longer than usual, but not indicative of him choosing his shots more carefully.
Point is he didn't play selfishly for this particular match, he played for the team to win,and he did play his part. In perspective it's only his 10sec of posing which people don't like. But with game already done and dusted, and everyone were in ecstatic mood, I think any kind of over the top celebration should be forgiven.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Ronaldo is one of the few people in the world that can put a beaming smile on Roy Keane's face. And here some of you criticising his character!

@Pogue

The Rodger comparison was simply to highlight what I perceive to over way the top criticism of Ronaldo.

Hardly anyone has a bad word to say about Ronaldo. He had a spat with Van Nistelrooy and apparently a couple of the Spanish Madrid divas do not get on with him. Aside from that though, most players that have been on the same team as him hold him in the highest regard. Fergie, Rio and Keane are just three that seem to adore him. Even Rooney is good friends with him. If he was really perceived to be so self centred and anti team ethic this would not be the case, especially from a guy like Keane.

The witch hunt just seems to me as being people getting needlessly righteous and taking the game too seriously.

hebegebe

Ronaldo is a cnut, has always be a cnut, will always be a cnut, the only difference being, he used to be our cnut.

northbynorthwest

It's funny when Bolt broke the 100m sprint record and made an arrogant pose, everyone laughs. When Ronaldo did it after breaking all time record, some people can't stand it and slated him for days.
the context is completely different. Ali did the same in boxing, but at the heart of it all he was likeable and beat his opponents, which makes his actions justified. Ronaldo is in a team, he did nothing in the final and goes off and celebrates like he single handedly won the match.

Bolt only does that because he knows he can win. If bolt did what he does and then came fourth, hed look like a fool, a bit like ronaldo did last saturday night.

Brightonian

Yep, that's what I saw too. He and Bale were quite effectively marked out of large chunks of the match by Atletico, but they kept working incredibly hard (and Bale did eventually start to carve out a few unlikely chances for himself in the second half.) Their hard work created the spaces which Di Maria and Modric exploited so brilliantly.

Bolt only does that because he knows he can win. If bolt did what he does and then came fourth, hed look like a fool, a bit like ronaldo did last saturday night.
Yeah, he looked like a right fool celebrating winning the most prestigious trophy in club football having proved himself not only the best player in the world this season but one of the best of all time, breaking multiple records and undoubtedly his team's best and most important player this season. How embarrassing for him!

Not enough :houllier: in the world for some people.

northbynorthwest

exactly

northbynorthwest

First it was moyes, now ronaldo. Why cant we just be united in our hate against liverpool. make the rawk meltdown thread popular again..... that was a good laugh and we were all friends

northbynorthwest

Yeah, he looked like a right fool celebrating winning the most prestigious trophy in club football having proved himself not only the best player in the world this season but one of the best of all time, breaking multiple records and undoubtedly his team's best and most important player this season. How embarrassing for him!

wow im quite impressed by your incredible insight. I didnt know ronaldo was the best player in the world. Ok given that, his celebration was justified.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Don't think "fool" is the right word but you're completely missing the point if you think anybody is criticising him for celebrating winning the CL.

The criticism begins and ends with his evident focus on individual glory in a team sport. Obviously, this bothers some people more than others. To each their own, eh?

Brightonian

wow im quite impressed by your incredible insight. I didnt know ronaldo was the best player in the world. Ok given that, his celebration was justified.
Glad you've seen sense. Not that your assertion that a team's best player shouldn't celebrate a goal in a victorious Champions League final didn't make a lick of sense or anything...

Brightonian

Don't think "fool" is the right word but you're completely missing the point if you think anybody is criticising him for celebrating winning the CL.

The criticism begins and ends with his evident focus on individual glory in a team sport. Obviously, this bothers some people more than others. To each their own, eh?
Where did the idea come from that the two are mutually exclusive? Because he celebrated his own goal exuberantly he cares less about the team?

It's all symptomatic of this obsession with imagining a load of drama into football which isn't actually there. You think any of his teammates gave a solitary feck about how he celebrated his goal? You think they'd have wanted some muted reaction because it was a penalty and therefore 'doesn't count' or something? Do you think the Madrid fans don't want to see their players ecstatic about every single goal?

No-one who matters would be anything but pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.