CSKA Moscow vs. Manchester United

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The most important thing of course is not O'Shea in midfield but rather our ability to see that Berbatov doens't become ridiculously isolated. Responsibility on Nani, Tone and Ando.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I would swap Nani and Valencia personally in that formation, mainly because Nani can use both feet. But if Fabio is playing on the wing it could be quite exciting, he;s not afraid to have a pop that boy.
I only do it that way because Valencia has played through the middle in behind the front man for Ecuador on a number of occasions.

SecondFig

So I'm assuming thats:

---------------------Van Der Sar---------------------
Neville--------Vidic----------Ferdinand-----------Fabio
-----------------------O'Shea-----------------------
-------------Anderson---------Scholes---------------
Valencia---------------------------------------Nani--
---------------------Berbatov------------------------

Interesting... not too sure about playing O'Shea in midfield mind, but he's done a job there before, and he should at least free up Scholes and Anderson to attack.

johnmufc

Carrick's definitely being rested for Anfield. I think O'Shea will be given a holding role to mark Dzagoev who plays in the hole for CSKA.
Fabio is definitely at left back for me.

I wonder where Liverpool legend Mark Gonzalez is? :lol: He was actually quite good for CSKA against Besiktas.

MPTutd

Thinking about it you are probably right. 3 man midfield is the way to go.
I agree with the notion of three central midfielders, but with Rooney up front it works due to his pace, movement and workrate. Not sure it will work with The Tov up front, as these three things are not his strongest points.

DanY2J

Keep Carrick fresh? The boy has hardly had a kick this season.

He is the sort of player who needs to play reguarly to play well, i dont think this season he has played to back to back games.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I only do it that way because Valencia has played through the middle in behind the front man for Ecuador on a number of occasions.
You think so? I've always thought of him as an Anderson-type midfielder when playing there - covering plenty of ground, being combative and getting through as much defensive work as he does going forward.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
---------------------Van Der Sar---------------------
Neville--------Vidic----------Ferdinand-----------Fabio
-----------------------O'Shea-----------------------
-------------Anderson---------Scholes---------------
Valencia---------------------------------------Nani--
---------------------Berbatov------------------------
SSN just confirmed that you are right with the line up. To be honest I thought Carrick might have started as plastic pitches are a dream for quality passers of the ball, which Carrick is.

Viper KGB

Or could he do a Rafa and play 3 CB's

------------- Berbatov--------------
---Nani --------------------- Valencia
--------- Anderson - Scholes
---Fabio-------------------------Neville
------- Rio ----O 'Shea--- Vidic ----
-------------- VDS------------------

.......... no he's not a idiot :devil:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
SSN just confirmed that you are right. To be honest I thought Carrick might have started as plastic pitches are a dream for quality passers of the ball, which Carrick is.
So is Scholes though.

Brwned

I agree with the notion of three central midfielders, but with Rooney up front it works due to his pace, movement and workrate. Not sure it will work with The Tov up front, as these three things are not his strongest points.
One of our best performances all last season was in an away game in Europe last season with Berbatov up front.

We were very good against Inter in that game.

MPTutd

SSN just confirmed that you are right with the line up. To be honest I thought Carrick might have started as plastic pitches are a dream for quality passers of the ball, which Carrick is.
:lol: I suspect they are having the same argument as we are and this is their (and our) best guess!.

MPTutd

Or could he do a Rafa and play 3 CB's

------------- Berbatov--------------
---Nani --------------------- Valencia
--------- Anderson - Scholes
---Fabio-------------------------Neville
------- Rio ----O 'Shea--- Vidic ----
-------------- VDS------------------

.......... no he's not a idiot :devil:

He has not done that in years. I remember it being a cup game at Sunderland and Giggsy started as left wingback!.

Brophs

The One and Only
I wouldn't have thought this bodes well for Berbatov's chances of starting on Sunday. I can see Rooney making a miraculous recovery and us playing 4-5-1.

December_16

Oh and today's Vida's 28th birthday! Have a good one, our Serbian metallic! Hope you'll break some Russians in half, and score a hat-trick!

MPTutd

I wouldn't have thought this bodes well for Berbatov's chances of starting on Sunday. I can see Rooney making a miraculous recovery and us playing 4-5-1.
Could mean Owen up front and scoring a hat-trick in front of the Kop. :D

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Berba might only play an hour. Expext the boy Owen to get more than a 10 minute run out. Hopefully the points will be in the bag by half time

Laphroaig

Disappointed that Brown doesn't get a start. But I suppose it makes sense to give VDS, Vidic and Ferdinanad more games together to become an awesome unit again. It'll be interesting to see who plays where.

johnmufc

Oh and today's Vida's 28th birthday! Have a good one, our Serbian metallic! Hope you'll break some Russians in half, and score a hat-trick!
He's playing against his old Spartak rivals as well. He'll be well up for it! :devil:

Brophs

The One and Only
Berba might only play an hour. Expext the boy Owen to get more than a 10 minute run out. Hopefully the points will be in the bag by half time
I'd hope so. Rooney generally takes time to settle back in after an injury and Michael Owen has yet to really impress playing from the start, so it'd be nice to have a fully fit and fresh Berbatov to call on.

Brwned

He was up front with Ronaldo in that game.
Technically he played up front with Giggs in that game, if anything.

Giggs was slightly ahead of the other two midfielders, but it was still a midfield three, and then Ronaldo and Park were on either side of him.

Ronaldo pretty clearly wasn't playing up front.

MPTutd

Disappointed that Brown doesn't get a start. But I suppose it makes sense to give VDS, Vidic and Ferdinanad more games together to become an awesome unit again. It'll be interesting to see who plays where.
Does not add up to me. I cannot see Nev playing on Sunday now. He can't play three games a week now, in a similar way than Scholes and Giggs don't.

Laphroaig

Does not add up to me. I cannot see Nev playing on Sunday now. He can't play three games a week now, in a similar way than Scholes and Giggs don't.
We'll surely play O'Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra. Good opportunity to give both Neville and Brown some match training, I thought.