Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is he playing as front 3 or attacking 3 behind striker?

Daniel James has 8 goals and assists in PL, in 18 games (2nd most by ManUtd player). That's a decent record, not a record that's worth criticism. If he keeps up this form, it will be 16 goals and assists in a PL season and that's a very good record for a winger. This is excluding his penalties, which he has won few of them already.
He’s not being criticised. He’s just not being celebrated as he’s not meeting THE standard. He may we’ll be exceeding HIS standard, and fair play to him, but that doesn’t automatically mean because it’s his best, it’s the best we can hope for.

I’ve heard of the trio referred to as the front 3 very often. A combination of 8 goals and assists at the halfway point isn’t enough. Not just for him, it’s not enough for anyone who wants to start in our front line weekly. He’s scored 3 goals, which is about what I’d expect from Maguire at this stage. There is no way that you can spin 3 goals at the halfway mark as enough.

And if he’s in the ‘3 behind the striker’, then so is Rashford. It’s not a criticism of him. It’s just the standard. If you can’t meet it, you shouldn’t be starting here. It’s not a criticism. People are saying we don’t need a winger because we have one who has scored 3 goals. Then they wonder why we are not winning enough games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’s not being criticised. He’s just not being celebrated as he’s not meeting THE standard. He may we’ll be exceeding HIS standard, and fair play to him, but that doesn’t automatically mean because it’s his best, it’s the best we can hope for.

I’ve heard of the trio referred to as the front 3 very often. A combination of 8 goals and assists at the halfway point isn’t enough. Not just for him, it’s not enough for anyone who wants to start in our front line weekly. He’s scored 3 goals, which is about what I’d expect from Maguire at this stage. There is no way that you can spin 3 goals at the halfway mark as enough.

And if he’s in the ‘3 behind the striker’, then so is Rashford. It’s not a criticism of him. It’s just the standard. If you can’t meet it, you shouldn’t be starting here. It’s not a criticism. People are saying we don’t need a winger because we have one who has scored 3 goals. Then they wonder why we are not winning enough games.
I don't agree with anyone who says we don't need a winger (we need someone like Sancho or Mahrez) and I don't agree with anyone who says he is not meeting the standard.

16 goals and assist in a season would probably match Valencia's and Nani's best tally in PL. Rashford is also playing in attacking 3 behind striker and he plays as LW which gives him advantage to cut in and score. James cant do that, he plays like a winger as he is right footed right winger. He can be goal threat but we need to change playing style for that. The way we are set up, he won't be goal threat from right wing.

Not sure why you are talking about only goals, assists counts too and he has 5 of them.

Ideally he should be squad player but we have left too many gaps in the squad now.

Alabaster Codify7

How do we know it’s not crap Management that’s dragged him down and hindered his development. People say Klopp wouldn’t do anything with these lot.... but then I see the start James made and fact that Klopp signed Robertson from Hull for £8m and he has become one of the best FB in the country, I’m sure if he turned to crap people would have easily said well he was a championship level player anyways.

Could well be. We've had four managers in 6yrs and one consistent factor has been that every single signing we have made has regressed after spending a few months at the club. When Ole is asked to do the right thing and resign, or he is sacked, that ntire coaching team needs to be sent packing at the same time. I don't want to see a new manager flanked by those absolute non-entities.

Alabaster Codify7

A lot of truth being spilled here.

Mcking

He's an average quality winger. His game is completely based on running with the ball and making a decision, and you could see he is more than happy making the slighlest of spaces and getting rid of the ball whenever he is outwide no matter if there's a man on the end the ball or not. He doesn't quite have the subtlety or control you want from your forwards. He is too one-dimensional and one-paced, and he isn't capable of retaining the ball and mixing up his game to draw out the opposition and to create. Obviously it's not always the case, but it's mostly the case.
He is one of the major reasons we struggle when the opposition sit deep, because you'd need more guile, poise and variety from your fowards. He is a good lad, but we can do much better and should be looking to get him out of the XI asap. With Pogba back, then he is easily the worst of our likely new front six.

Excellent prospect, it maybe didn’t help that he hit the ground running in his first few games. Needs some time out like all young players. Has played most matches, and needs a break as he’s not in the best of form.

Has already exceeded expectations from when we bought him. Could make a great impression from the bench over the next few weeks.

Burnley 0:2 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is such a useful player, hardly puts those simple situations wrong, which is something that our players were guilty of in past few years. He can have great assist record in next few years if he continues like this.

Gotta love him!

roonster09

Scout
He wasn't good in the first half but in second half he was very good. Stepped up and created few good chances.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Tales of two halves for him, he's gonna be sore tonight, he really took a beating.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He wasn't good in the first half but in second half he was very good. Stepped up and created few good chances.
Also won us a few free kicks which helped us keep the tempo down and kill any momentum Brex... I mean Burnley tried to build.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Took a battering, and finished the game really well irrespective of the assist. Hard not to love this guy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Consider that a shift put in. Not the best game again, but he still manages to look dangerous with his low crosses and he got a well deserved assist in the end.

roonster09

Scout
Also won us a few free kicks which helped us keep the tempo down and kill any momentum Brex... I mean Burnley tried to build.
Yeah, thought he will come off injured. Burnley just kicked him every time he went past them.

Unlikely lad

His game is still very reliant on space - the 2 halves today demonstrated that nicely. He's perfect for certain games/situations at the moment, but he'll hopefully get better with time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Definitely good enough for us and is only going to get better. Still need a couple more signings across that front three for added depth though. Big clubs try to win everything. He will still play 45 games even as “second choice”.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Genuinely disgusting by Burnley in the second half. He's a tough lad.

Thought he was great second half, anonymous in the first. Could have been through a few times but Burnley thugs just clattered him without much repercussion. Showed great strength on the break a few times too, especially in the buildup to that ball he slipped in to Martial. Should have had another assist

ash_86

Ran his heart out today and won several free kicks. Assist at the end was icing in the cake.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A brilliant signing . Reminds me so much of Lee Sharpe, both in terms of speed, final pass and all heart.

But i also love how he takes the kickings and just keeps on getting back up.

I think he has so much more potential to fulfil.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Contested well for the ball against a dirty team and a nice assist at the end.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Really well weighted pass for Rashford right at the end. Also did well for the Martial pass. Could have ended the game with 1 more assist.

He is a weapon of a player. The type of which can absolutely terrify defences.

roonster09

Scout
Only Son, TAA and KdB have more assists than James this season.

rooney2009

Played very well in the 2nd
Ha’s responded well to the challenge of Greenwood
Never stops trying and running

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Back to his best tonight, needed the rest and as I said already we should be using Greenwood in the home games and James in these away ones

RedIan

Good performance, his pace scared the shit out of Burnley. Lovely weighted pass on the break for Rashfords goal. His attitude is spot on. Yes a bargain buy at 15mil

Based Adnan

Forget goals and assists. He will always be useful because of his sheer pace and bravery to take a challenge. Assist at the end was the icing on top of a very good performance.

MDFC Manager

Was absolutely the right selection for this game. Ole is beginning to use him in the correct games.

I do feel for him, gets absolutely mauled nearly every game. Should be protected better by the referees

Status
Not open for further replies.