5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

I actually find him more dangerous when he cuts inside and goes flying through the space.

his acceleration and quick turns are pretty much impossible to stop if he has room to run into. I’d actually argue he’s easier to stop going down the line.

you need more then just running ability being the 10 though, but I wouldn’t say it’s the worst idea.
In the big game set up where we’ve been using Lingard in that position, James could probably do just as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He did well considering the treatment he was getting. Just kept going time after time.

This was such a red card its not even funny

Holy,how was this not a red ? :lol:
The reffing in the country is appalling at times.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has played 19 games (18+1), scored or assisted in 9 games. That's a good record. His contribution is spread nicely. Obviously he can still improve but for thr player with first year in PL and second season in his professional career.

If he can replicate this and end up with around 15-18 goals + assists in PL alone, then it would be superb season.

3KDré

He has played 19 games (18+1), scored or assisted in 9 games. That's a good record. His contribution is spread nicely. Obviously he can still improve but for thr player with first year in PL and second season in his professional career.

If he can replicate this and end up with around 15-18 goals + assists in PL alone, then it would be superb season.
He currently has the most assists for us in the PL with 6, and he should easily have 10 more. I think the lack of goals is mainly him preferring the left.

He’s doing well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In the big game set up where we’ve been using Lingard in that position, James could probably do just as well.
Yep, that’s why he works well as a striker too as he can drop off then drive into the space.

I think his work rate and constant movement would work really nicely in that role. His short passing is better than most give credit for too

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He currently has the most assists for us in the PL with 6, and he should easily have 10 more. I think the lack of goals is mainly him preferring the left.

He’s doing well.
Yeah. As long as he is contributing it shouldn't be a problem. He is getting into goal scoring positions too.

Only Son, TAA and KdB have more assists than him in PL.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wince every time he gets clattered into because he's so quick and small it looks like they've killed him.

He may not be top quality but he's very, very effective at what he does. Will be a valuable squad player for years at United I think with some really good spurts of form to boot.

Really good signing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thought he was great again. Another assist and should've got one more, and the guy never stops working. His attitude is phenomenal.

SAFMUTD

Great stamina and attitude but lacks quality, he’s a very good sub with potential to become a starter in the medium term which to be fair is more than most of us expected when we signed him.

Arsenal 2:0 Man Utd

Devil81

Championship player or lower Premier league team player.

Kick and rush and clueless whenever he gets anywhere near the box. Honestly if he's the future we're not a top four club..

Simple as that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@He'sRaldo

You understand it more than anyone else.

This guy blocks our attack & creates an extended defensive pressure due to our attack being nullified.

Our attack becomes unnecessarily wider due to his inability to cut in meaning Rashford ends up playing wider than necessary - when Greenwood comes on both Rashford & Greenwood spend all day cutting in at the same time so become extremely hard to defend against.

I'm getting tired of seeing him at RW. he needs to only be used at LW and be used only at RW as a sub.

Wan bissaka also becomes more of an attacker when Greenwood plays because there is space created on the right hand side due to all the cutting in.

Greenwood & Rashford play as forwards whilst Martial play as a support striker.

James plays as a wide midfielder making Rashford play as a wider midfielder than necessary and Martial play as a striker.

klayton88

He's had two average games after being one of our best players this season. Jesus guy.

Dan_F

Again, the game was perfect for him to come on with 20 minutes to go against a tired defence. He’s probably better on the left as well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pretty happy with him this season, but he is not really great help defensively, hasn't he? Apart from the pressing, it's not really great to have him on your side if you are right back.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pretty happy with him this season, but he is not really great help defensively, hasn't he? Apart from the pressing, it's not really great to have him on your side if you are right back.
He messes up our attack on the right compared to Greenwood because he doesn't attack the way Rashford does on the left.

The defence then completely block of Rashford cutting in making Rashford play wider and making James push out wider aswell due to his inability to cut in. Martial is then unable to interlink anything and becomes a target man for crosses rather than a support striker.

Play Greenwood & Rashford then both cut in and our forward line becomes pacey, narrow, compact with Martial interlinking with the runs coming from wider areas with lethal finishing from Rashford and Greenwood.

Daniel James messes up our attack & causes unnecessary defensive pressure due to all the 'lack of runs' and attack ability we saw before.

He needs to rotate with Rashford only or be used as a sub RW only.

He'sRaldo

@He'sRaldo

You understand it more than anyone else.

This guy blocks our attack & creates an extended defensive pressure due to our attack being nullified.

Our attack becomes unnecessarily wider due to his inability to cut in meaning Rashford ends up playing wider than necessary - when Greenwood comes on both Rashford & Greenwood spend all day cutting in at the same time so become extremely hard to defend against.

I'm getting tired of seeing him at RW. he needs to only be used at LW and be used only at RW as a sub.

Wan bissaka also becomes more of an attacker when Greenwood plays because there is space created on the right hand side due to all the cutting in.

Greenwood & Rashford play as forwards whilst Martial play as a support striker.

James plays as a wide midfielder making Rashford play as a wider midfielder than necessary and Martial play as a striker.

Yup, and I feel bad for him because he's not a bad player. He's just not a right winger. In fact in some games, he might even be as good an option as Rashford on the left because he has better decision-making, but he can never really replicate Greenwood's play on the right. It's just too easy to push him to the outside.

The front men are looking knackered, James should have been used as a sub for them to ensure that our key men are always fresh. Unfortunately, he's starting and playing full games with Greenwood being the sub, which is quite backwards.

If Ole bought him to solve our right wing issues, we might be in a bit of trouble unless Greenwood bails us out by performing such that he becomes undroppable.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
He looks absolutely knackered. Too much has been expected of him too soon.

Jonno

He’s a good player, and He made some great runs. Runs that get missed because sadly our midfield simply haven’t got the talent to look up and put a world class pass in front of him.

El Jefe

Whenever he has a bad game, it shows that he was playing in the championship last year. I find it hard to blame him for his lack of quality because under normal circumstances he should be nowhere near a starter for us but this is Ole's United and mediocre players are allowed in the first 11.

OLLY ORANGE

He would of been better off starting on the bench tonight but the squad is so limited and stretched. His early season performances gets him start due to lack of alternatives.
Defo plays better in space and stretched games.

RedIan

Yes rather anonymous tonight, just couldn’t get him in the game. He was decent against Burnley so lets not slate him too much. too many games in a short space for such a thin squad.

Irwin99

Didn't James start the season on the left mostly or is that a myth? Works his socks off but nothing happening for him lately.

criticalanalysis

Tried and did 'ok' but unfortunately most of his good work was ignored by our midfielders, which I blame entirely on Jesse 'I play closer to the goal than our centre forward' Lingard.

sherrinford

Barely had a chance to get involved - his teammates really struggled to bring him into the game. Very disappointing especially after getting Kolasinac booked in a promising attack in the first few minutes - that ended up being his most positive contribution, with just a few very brief flashes of his pace and penetration after that.

He had a bit of a nightmare defensively. How a team can go an entire half with the same issues again and again is baffling - not one player took responsibility and organised. James set up to defend in no man’s land screening in front of Kolasinac - he didn’t shut off the angle to him, didn’t get out to close down David Luiz or in tight to Xhaka. Bypassed constantly. On a couple of occasions went chasing across the pitch and abandoned balance, completely taking himself out the game and collapsing any team structure that we did actually manage to muster. A passenger.

That tailed off second half though. Solskjaer should have kept him on - Arsenal were never going to keep up the intensity seen in the first half as was evidenced against Chelsea. The game seemed to get very stretched within minutes of him being taken off!

KennyBurner

Tried and did 'ok' but unfortunately most of his good work was ignored by our midfielders, which I blame entirely on Jesse 'I play closer to the goal than our centre forward' Lingard.
I believe there is some truth to this. However I feel if we had greenwood on earlier we could have had more control of the game. As good as James has been he is very limited in tight spaces. He struggles making intricate passes with the defense camped in front of him. Wan Bissaka is also limited with him hugging the touchline. He was ineffective once arsenal got their goal and sat back.

Revaulx

Looked really isolated. Pereira and (this won’t be popular) Ashley combined far better with him the other day than Lingard and AWB tonight.

He may be a bit of a one-trick pony, but it’s an impressive trick that can be put to better use.

el3mel

He hasn't been that good for a long time unfortunately. Tbf he should not have been a starter coming immediately from Championship but our hopeless case doesn't help. Need a proper RW in summer.

3KDré

We don’t seem to play to his strengths at all. We always play the ball to his feet when we know he can beat every left back in the league for pace

sherrinford

I believe there is some truth to this. However I feel if we had greenwood on earlier we could have had more control of the game. As good as James has been he is very limited in tight spaces. He struggles making intricate passes with the defense camped in front of him. Wan Bissaka is also limited with him hugging the touchline. He was ineffective once arsenal got their goal and sat back.
I’m not sure what makes you think having Greenwood on would have given United more control in the game? We couldn’t move the ball up the pitch at all and Arsenal were very aggressive as soon as the ball moved beyond our two centre backs. Greenwood looked a bit like a boy against men when he was on, while physically James can trouble any defender and team.

SAFMUTD

He’s currently a one trick pony, got a great attitude and work ethic thats why I think under proper management he could develop to a good player.

At the moment all he haves is speed, if he cant outrun his opponent he’s out of tricks.

KennyBurner

I’m not sure what makes you think having Greenwood on would have given United more control in the game? We couldn’t move the ball up the pitch at all and Arsenal were very aggressive as soon as the ball moved beyond our two centre backs. Greenwood looked a bit like a boy against men when he was on, while physically James can trouble any defender and team.
Because greenwood can cut into his left foot and release players better than James can. James is very 1 dimensional when opposition defenders are not standing on the half way line. Other than the first few minutes in the game where he threatened with his pace, arsenals defenders adjusted accordingly and he disappeared.This game didn’t need his pace because arsenal were happy to sit back while we had the ball. It needed more technique which was why lingard, James and rashford weren’t good enough today. AWB also doesn’t overlap well because James sticks too wide when we are trying to break teams down.

Status
Not open for further replies.