Daniel James - Manchester United player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

Very good point. Some people think because a player is inconsistent and frustrating at the age of 21, he's always gonna be that way.

Anyway, hadn't even heard of James before the first link a couple of weeks ago so, it's hard to get excited about. Hope he can play on the right comfortably.
And it works both ways just because player is young and learning doesn't mean he would eventually get it together it's much more nuanced than that.

Mark1361

much more likely he's been signed to be a squad player and a prospect, an option in some games and off the bench. starting him right wing most games vs prem defences that park the bus isn't going to be great
He was singed for three reason:

(1) Hoping he be the next wales superstar to play for Man Utd (2) He was cheap and worth the risk in the Glazers & Ed eyes (3) Sadly this is how far we fallen under Ed & the Glazers ownership.

Kemizee

Give it a fookin rest -- the same crap that's a cliche now.. Where the hell have you been the past few years?

Not a fan of the Glazers but you can't accuse them of not spending the dosh since Fergie retired.

The problem is how badly we spent it not how much.
Was the investment of Fred and Dalot really sufficient to you after we finished second behind city in Jose's second season? Should we not have shown real intent in bridging the gap?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Keep the moaning about Glazers in other thread.
Was the investment of Fred and Dalot really sufficient to you after we finished second behind city in Jose's second season? Should we not have shown real intent in bridging the gap?

Posh Red

Thank god he didn’t let Jose have his way or we’d have more overpaid, past it players like Perisic and Willian to shift. Not backing Mourinho in the last window was one of Ed’s best decisions to date.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
In time I think this lad could play anywhere in a forward position, once he gets used to Prem football. Certainly has pace, and some skills, but will be tough for him initially, can see him starting on the bench and getting 20/30 minutes in a lot of games. Seems a confident lad, so won't be fazed by playing in some big games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A tough away game against Croatia will give us a good idea of the level he's at right now.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
A tough away game against Croatia will give us a good idea of the level he's at right now.
Very true, not only in his play, but how he reacts when decisions go against him, and he doesn't get free kicks when fouled. If he reacts strongly, then Prem defenders will do their utmost to wind him up. Let's hope he's as level headed as the reports suggest.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He reminds a bit of a very fast Ji Sung Park. He's hardworking (maybe not as Park was but very close) and he's incredibly pacey

Red_Aaron

On top of his frightening pace he looks well built up top too, plenty of strength there I reckon.

He'll have every opportunity to make a name for himself on the world stage here, the challenge is now down to him to take it. I'm looking forward to seeing him play

Rossa

The proper managed clubs have a plan and theyre executing it. Madrid has signed 5 big name players now, and it seems like a matter of time before they sign Mendy as well.

While us, we are a joke. Mark my words, we wont sign any top talent.
And if you are wrong, you can say that you are happy to be proved wrong. I love a good pessimist.

Rossa

He reminds a bit of a very fast Ji Sung Park. He's hardworking (maybe not as Park was but very close) and he's incredibly pacey
So he's much faster than Park, thus no similarity, but not as hard working, little similarity, and subsequently they are similar? Do you work as an analyst or something because that was some ground breaking sh$t right there!

Rossa

On top of his frightening pace he looks well built up top too, plenty of strength there I reckon.

He'll have every opportunity to make a name for himself on the world stage here, the challenge is now down to him to take it. I'm looking forward to seeing him play
Some Norwegian Championship pundit said he was tactically very good, much better than what many believed as most people noticed his speed. He lacked some finesse and dribbling, but he was the fastest he had ever seen in the Championship.

Needham

Can't wait for this guy to sign so we can start criticising him.

devilish

So he's much faster than Park, thus no similarity, but not as hard working, little similarity, and subsequently they are similar? Do you work as an analyst or something because that was some ground breaking sh$t right there!
Park is possibly the second most hardworking player I've ever saw playing life. The only player whom I think off who was more hardworking was Rino Gattuso. Some might say Keane should be ahead of both but I beg to differ a that. Keane was hardworking but his superb positioning kept him from constantly running after the ball. Of course that's a matter of debate as the gap between these players in terms of workrate is wafer thin.

I have yet to see James playing life but from the little I've seen in video his pace is breathtaking. He reminds me of Kanchelskis or Anelka in their prime

We're talking about two extremes here, players who are at the very end of a spectrum that is difficult for someone to reach. Therefore there's no contradiction if me saying that a player reminds me of Park (ie he's hardworking and he seem to be everywhere at every time) but might not be as hardworking as the Korean was. The reason being that very few players are as hardworking as Park was.

Its like saying that Anthony Joshua reminds me of Mike Tyson but is not as aggressive as the latter was. There's no contradiction on that because we're comparing an excellent boxer to an absolute legend of boxing.

Last edited:

Rossa

Park is possibly the second most hardworking player I've ever saw playing life. The only one being more hardworking was Rino Gattuso. Some might say Keane should be ahead of both but I beg to differ a that. Keane was hardworking but he also knew when to chase the ball. He had a certain positional know how which was nearly at par to Carrick's (Keane was superior to Carrick in many ways but not on positioning). Of course that's a matter of debate as the gap between these players in terms of workrate is wafer thin.

I have yet to see James playing life but from the little I've seen in video his pace is breathtaking. He reminds me of Kanchelskis or Anelka in their prime

We're talking about two extremes here, players who are at the very end of a spectrum that is difficult for someone to reach. Therefore there's no contradiction in saying that a player reminds me of Park (ie he's hardworking and he seem to be everywhere at every time) but might not be as hardworking as the Korean was. The reason being that very few players are as hardworking as Park was.
Yeah, I sort of understand what you are saying, and a pundit for the Championship said he had an immense work ethic, shown by him being in the opposition box, City countered and he sprinted back home, ending up with him outpacing Walker and saving a more or less certain goal. As for wingers, I csn think of Beckham as extremely hard working. Stats will back that up.

Also agree on Carrick vs Keane. Carrick had brilliant positioning.

As for his speed,he reminds me of a young Overmars. Didn't Ferguson more or less put a young Giggs ahead of Kanchelskis in terms of speed? His style and physique reminds me of Overmars though, also blistering. Anelka I don't see - fast, but never like the others and completely different physique.

devilish

Yeah, I sort of understand what you are saying, and a pundit for the Championship said he had an immense work ethic, shown by him being in the opposition box, City countered and he sprinted back home, ending up with him outpacing Walker and saving a more or less certain goal. As for wingers, I csn think of Beckham as extremely hard working. Stats will back that up.

Also agree on Carrick vs Keane. Carrick had brilliant positioning.

As for his speed,he reminds me of a young Overmars. Didn't Ferguson more or less put a young Giggs ahead of Kanchelskis in terms of speed? His style and physique reminds me of Overmars though, also blistering. Anelka I don't see - fast, but never like the others and completely different physique.
A young Ryan Giggs was pretty pacey and he was the second most technically gifted winger I've ever seen wearing the red shirt (after Ronaldo). On a good mood, Ryan Giggs was virtually untouchable. Juventus used to triple mark him with 2 fullbacks (one moved as a winger) and a CB and yet he would still be able to pass through their entire defence like a hot knife passing through butter.

However in terms of pace, Kanchelskis was the undisputed king. He is the only player I can think off who gave Maldini an absolute nightmare. His pace was what ruined him as well. His game against Inter irked Taribo West in the wrong way and, well, you don't irk Taribo West. Overmars is also extremely pacey as well.

Returning on James I don't think he's as technically gifted as Kanchelskis and Overmars were, at least not yet. However he's as pacey as they were and I think he might be more hardworking then both of them

Kemizee

Thank god he didn’t let Jose have his way or we’d have more overpaid, past it players like Perisic and Willian to shift. Not backing Mourinho in the last window was one of Ed’s best decisions to date.
Fair enough but should he not have insisted that Mourinho bring up suitable alternatives instead of outrightly dismissing his list?

If the interest of the club came first, should Ed not have realised that failure to strengthen could make us potentially lose our CL spot?

He was content with hoarding the money instead of buying anyone who could be better than what Mourinho suggested. Their ambitions(Glazers and Woodward) have at best been about money, money, money not putting us back where we rightly belong at the apex of European football.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
First game i will watch him live
Same.

All i know about him is what i've seen from a few clips and the general knowledge that he's bloody rapid. I'm looking at this signing with optimism. He's young and can be moulded into the player Ole wants. The fact he worked with Graham Potter for a year is a good thing as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

So currently playing against Croatia.

With the two extremes of the Caf, this will end with one of two reactions.

He's top class, he must start the season or not good enough. Not sure why we signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.