Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

Nothing wrong with speculative signings at this sort of fee.

Sane, De Bruyne, Mane and Salah were all speculative signings.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Sane was hardly a speculative signing.
De Bruyne was at Chelsea but not City

Mainoldo

Or we could try and use some football knowledge and see this is a signing of a talented player at a low risk.

The 2 you mentioned were already journeymen.

Don't act like it's the same.
Emphasis on the word talent. The two players I picked is as dumb as posters saying maybe he can be the new Bale. He doesn’t even look as good as Walcott.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Check the Sane and De Bruyne transfer thread. Then give your head a wobble.
De Bruyne to City can hardly be described as speculative he was probably one of the best players in bundesliga that season. Anyway this isn't the thread for the discussion

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Emphasis on the word talent. The two players I picked is as dumb as posters saying maybe he can be the new Bale. He doesn’t even look as good as Walcott.
I think you need to start leaving some things go over your head in here.

Is it really worth discussing with people who think he's the next Bale.

He is a £15m speed merchant who is very raw, but we see something in him. His pace is frightening, his all round game and end product needs work. He isn't somebody who's starting early and often next season.

C'est Moi Cantona

Buy him, then if Biesla stays at Leeds loan him for a hefty fee, we get to see what he's really made of in a team like that, Leeds get promoted, then we get a better player back next season in what will hopefully be calmer waters.

It'd be hard to see us losing money on him, which is a step up from most of our recent transfers.

Nickthepip

Much prefer a signing like this than us dragging a player in their late 20s to Old Trafford by paying them upwards of 350k per week.

Hopefully, he'll be hungry and committed and I'll take that right now.

Reactions: 711

Toad

Buy him, then if Biesla stays at Leeds loan him for a hefty fee, we get to see what he's really made of in a team like that, Leeds get promoted, then we get a better player back next season in what will hopefully be calmer waters.

It'd be hard to see us losing money on him, which is a step up from most of our recent transfers.
Not a bad shout

fps

I don’t get our fans sometimes....were crying out for some more talented hungry youngsters, and if they have pace to burn then great. Nothing strikes fear into defenders more then knowing your man can strip you for fun. About time we got some brutal pace into the lineup.
More pace. Great, let's sign Usain Bolt.

Schneiderman

Saw him live at Norwich and he was excellent. Played as a false 9 was brilliant on the ball and frightening on the break.

Dante

Average bang
There is when your team’s an absolute bag of shit.
£15m is equivalent to Sanchez's wages for 7 months. In the modern football economy, it's a pittance. Even if we sell him on for £5m after a couple of seasons, it's still a gamble worth taking.

There's a potentially huge upside and almost no downside.

Rossa

Much prefer a signing like this than us dragging a player in their late 20s to Old Trafford by paying them upwards of 350k per week.

Hopefully, he'll be hungry and committed and I'll take that right now.
We definitely don't need that. I mean, I loved Ando, but we all knew how that went.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I like all that except the bold bit. Maybe swap Leeds for Derby

Rossa

Ronaldo was a one-trick pony with no end product when we bought him. He could have easily gone down the path Martial is currently on.
Wasn't his problem that he had too many tricks and often tried them all at once? Hardly a one trick pony, but lacking in end product, sure.

Beaucoup

£15m is equivalent to Sanchez's wages for 7 months. In the modern football economy, it's a pittance. Even if we sell him on for £5m after a couple of seasons, it's still a gamble worth taking.

There's a potentially huge upside and almost no downside.
Not if he takes one place of the four players we’re supposed to be signing.

Beaucoup

Wasn't his problem that he had too many tricks and often tried them all at once? Hardly a one trick pony, but lacking in end product, sure.
I was at the game when Ronaldo made his debut and you could tell, just from that small cameo, that we had a superstar in the making.

Loublaze

ATLien
Years of watching Valencia has ruined people's perception of a winger
Funny you mention Valencia when this kid seems to play like him, basic push the ball forward, run and cross. Both devoid of any other outstanding attributes. The only difference is this kid is not afraid of his left foot

Away with your common sense. He's the answer Goddamit!
:lol:

All of them were known talents in Europe and had top flight experience. Liverpool fans were fawning over Salah before he even kicked a ball. The man was killing it at Roma the two seasons prior

Ronaldo was a one-trick pony with no end product when we bought him. He could have easily gone down the path Martial is currently on.
Ronaldo was considered one of the biggest talents in Portugal when United bought him, only Quaresma was getting more rave reviews. You could tell he had a lot in his locker from the jump, it was only a matter of directing and developing him the right way. I thought only opposition fans labeled him a one trick pony, it was pretty evident to anyone who actually watched him week in or week out, or who even saw his debut against Bolton for that matter that he wasn't

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Funny you mention Valencia when this kid seems to play like him, basic push the ball forward, run and cross. Both devoid of any other outstanding attributes. The only difference is this kid is not afraid of his left foot

:lol:

All of them were known talents in Europe and had top flight experience. Liverpool fans were fawning over Salah before he even kicked a ball. The man was killing it at Roma the two seasons prior

Ronaldo was considered one of the biggest talents in Portugal when United bought him, only Quaresma was getting more rave reviews. You could tell he had a lot in his locker from the jump, it was only a matter of directing and developing him the right way. I thought only opposition fans labeled him a one trick pony, it was pretty evident to anyone who actually watched him week in or week out, or who even saw his debut against Bolton for that matter that he wasn't
I remember you from the After Hours Football Club forum back in the early 2000s. And I know that you know it wasn't a minority opinion in those days.

OleGunnar20

I was at the game when Ronaldo made his debut and you could tell, just from that small cameo, that we had a superstar in the making.
Remember watching that game on the tele, you're right that he definitely had something special about him from the get go.

Anyway ayye, I can't see the downside in a signing like this. Cheap, talented, will likely see us as a big step up rather than a chance to fill his pockets - what's not to like?

I hope he doesn't take one of the 4 or 5 stated transfer slots as I can't see him bringing much of an immediate impact, probably wishful thinking.

Consensus among the match day going swans fans I know (90% of whom supported Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea growing up, before recently rediscovering their undying love for Swansea, by the way) seems to be that he's their best youth product in many years, but too raw as it stands for a club like ours.

Worth a punt ey.

Loublaze

ATLien
I remember you from the After Hours Football Club forum back in the early 2000s. And I know that you know it wasn't a minority opinion in those days.
You know that I know? I never held that opinion myself, and from my recollection it was mostly rival fans who labeled Ronaldo a one trick pony and a few unconvinced united supporters or am I remembering things wrong? Haven't heard AHFC mentioned in eons! I remember it being a great alternative to BBC's chaotic 606. What was your username there?

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean at 15m pounds, it's worth a punt.

Still not fully impressed by his technique on the ball, but I felt the same watching Mane at Southampton and he's been brilliant for Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.