Danny 'Local Lad' Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Samid must be the thread maker of about 40% of the active threads in the football section, I swear.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
the fact Wenger rushed him back twice from long term injuries shows you how highly he rates him.
Quite incredible that manager with so much experience does that with every player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Letting him go was surely a mistake, even with his injury problems.
Why? Martial, Rashford, Henrik, Mata are all better players. He would be gone sooner or later, this way we just didn't have to pay his wages whilst he laid on the treatment table.

Ollie Derbyshire

Danny's a good player but nothing special, always a shame to see home grown players leave but it was the right decision back then and the odd good game doesn't change that

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The day we got rid of him for Falcao is one of the worst decisions in our history.
Not really. The risk of taking Falcao did not exactly work out for us but the striker we currently have is much superior than Welbeck will ever be.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Why do people keep talking about Ibrahimovic, Rashford and others that just started playing for us?

Neither of those players were anywhere near our team when we sold Welbeck. We sold Welbeck mostly because we bought Falcao, and wanted to promote Wilson. That is why Welbeck wanted to go in the first place. Neither of those two were good enough or better than him. It turned out to be a terrible decision. Rooney was also terrible that season in attack too. We also played Young all the time. Then we bought Depay because we were short on wingers. Neither of them were better than Welbeck either. So it was obviously a mistake because we spent two seasons playing with inferior players.

Welbeck not being too class forward has nothing to do with the fact that we kept inferior players over him, and that we would have better team if we kept him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why do people keep talking about Ibrahimovic, Rashford and others that just started playing for us?

Neither of those players were anywhere near our team when we sold Welbeck. We sold Welbeck mostly because we bought Falcao, and wanted to promote Wilson. That is why Welbeck wanted to go in the first place. Neither of those two were good enough or better than him. It turned out to be a terrible decision. Rooney was also terrible that season in attack too. We also played Young all the time. Then we bought Depay because we were short on wingers. Neither of them were better than Welbeck either. So it was obviously a mistake because we spent two seasons playing with inferior players.
More of a case, we don't know if Rashford would be promoted/we would have bought Martial if we kept Welbeck.

Anyway, short memories, people forget how fecking wasteful he was. Glad he's gone.

Ollie Derbyshire

Doesn't mean Danny would have stepped up, I don't think he was good enough to lead our line then and isn't now

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
More of a case, we don't know if Rashford would be promoted/we would have bought Martial if we kept Welbeck.

Anyway, short memories, people forget how fecking wasteful he was. Glad he's gone.
And what if we bought some other player instead of Martial who could maybe turn out to be better than him? Was buying Martial a mistake then? How can we know that?

We know only what we saw, and I saw us playing the likes of Wilson, Falcao, Young, Depay, Lingard, all players who were clearly inferior to him. And Falcao's wages were around what we got for Welbeck. We paid around the same for fecking Darmian and more for Depay. Amazing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
One of the most underrated players in the country. He could still be very, very good especially if played as a striker.

Sigma

I was one of the people who wanted to keep him, but now, a few years later its pretty clear it was the right decision to let him leave

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's always been underrated on here by people incapable of looking past the 'goals scored' stat. Playing off the left he was brilliant for us and helped the team function better than without him.

That said, if he wanted to leave then that's fine and his injuries are a problem.

Ollie Derbyshire

I don't see a clinical finisher in him though, big, fast and strong, sure, but he never struck me as having a fast enough football brain to take advantage of the raw abilities he has

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Are people really judging him on one performance against a side who probably couldn't have cared less about the match given they just made a final in midweek?

He's a decent forward but he's not going to win Arsenal a title.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I don't have the stats, but I'd guess he's played more out wide for Arsenal than he has through the middle. I might be wrong, but before all those bad injuries, it seemed like he was nearly always on the wing for them, and that was one of major factors he wanted to leave United.

It was a strange move. He was playing a lot of football here, his boyhood club.
I remember he was interviewed some time late, maybe after his first season at Arsenal, and was asked about that and he replied something along the lines that he was happy to play as a wide forward the way he plays at Arsenal, but not as a wide midfielder as he was played at Man Utd.

Jacko21

The money we paid for him looks to be a good deal.
£16m for Welbeck was a good deal for us. Contrary to what some may believe, I don't think Welbeck would ever have succeeded here - be it the pressure of playing for his boyhood club or the reality that he isn't a great player.

The price Arsenal paid was reflective of that the fact that he's English.

Rashford has shown far more natural ability than Welbeck ever did, plus he has taken his chances and is scoring goals to boot.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I remember he was interviewed some time late, maybe after his first season at Arsenal, and was asked about that and he replied something along the lines that he was happy to play as a wide forward the way he plays at Arsenal, but not as a wide midfielder as he was played at Man Utd.
Yeah, I remember that. He mentioned defending and tracking back, but he still defends and tracks back at Arsenal. A lot. It's just the way he plays, he works very hard off the ball. Arsenal obviously play very differently to United, but in terms of his individual responsibilities and his positioning out wide, I don't see a major difference in Welbeck here and Welbeck at Arsenal.

Jaybomb

He was shite.

Selling Chicharito was a much bigger mistake.

Falcao was well worth the gamble and would have played better for us if we didn't shoehorn him into a team with Rooney and RVP. Imagine Ibrahimovic in those circumstances. He certaintly wouldn't have scored 18 goals this season in that conjoined "system" and as for Falcao's stint at Chelsea, its basically a write off cause he barely ever played.

I don't think theres a single fan on the planet that would have said "Don't sign one of the worlds best strikers, keep Welbeck" at the time.

Rashford and Lingard are already better than Welbeck ever was.

JoaquinJoaquin

He was shite.

Falcao was well worth the gamble and would have played better for us if we didn't shoehorn him into a team with Rooney and RVP. Imagine Ibrahimovic in those circumstances. He certaintly wouldn't have scored 18 goals this season in that conjoined "system" and as for Falcao's stint at Chelsea, its basically a write off cause he barely ever played.

I don't think theres a single fan on the planet that would have said "Don't sign one of the worlds best strikers, keep Welbeck" at the time.

I was with you until you said Lingard was better.

ChaddyP

I don't have the stats, but I'd guess he's played more out wide for Arsenal than he has through the middle. I might be wrong, but before all those bad injuries, it seemed like he was nearly always on the wing for them, and that was one of major factors he wanted to leave United.

It was a strange move. He was playing a lot of football here, his boyhood club.
based on what he claimed he wanted it was a dumb move. unless he just didn't like the club anymore and wanted to move to London with his England nt buddies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He was shite.

In all fairness I said it at the time.

Jaybomb

In all fairness I said it at the time.
As did I. I was buzzing Falcao signed for us and I'm still gutted it didn't work out.

At least hes doing well for Monaco. I actually hope he wins the Champions League.

sincher

Lingard is not at Welbeck's level, that is ridiculous. Just look at what Welbeck has done for England for starters. So underrated, because of the injuries and being played out of position. He has been quality as a centre forward for club and country.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Yeah, I remember that. He mentioned defending and tracking back, but he still defends and tracks back at Arsenal. A lot. It's just the way he plays, he works very hard off the ball. Arsenal obviously play very differently to United, but in terms of his individual responsibilities and his positioning out wide, I don't see a major difference in Welbeck here and Welbeck at Arsenal.
Aye, I don't see much difference either, I guess it's mostly trying to justify finding himself in the same situation again.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was shite.

This can be debated but the rest of the post is good.

sincher

Signing Falcao was clearly a mistake. Selling Welbeck probably wasn't, but in my eyes this is because of his injury record rather than his talent.

prath92

Welbeck not being too class forward has nothing to do with the fact that we kept inferior players over him, and that we would have better team if we kept him.
We sold him because we wanted him to be 4th choice behind falcao Rooney and RvP. Which is obviously sensible. No one in their right mind would put him ahead of Rooney and RvP then. Falcao was a top striker in the world who was coming on loan after spending about 5 months off injured. It could go two ways that signing. Unfortunately it didn't go well for us but only a senseless club would not take a chance to take falcao on loan because welbeck was there. It would have been like Not signing Zlatan last summer because we had martial and Rashford and because Zlatan was always a risk due to his age.

Plus Wilson was knocking on the doors of our first team and hyped to the core due to his scoring record at lower division added by already having scored 2 on his debut. So it was quite an obvious choice that Wilson was preferred over Welbeck.

In hindsight none of these decisions worked like everyone hoped (including welbeck being turned magically into Henry or Sturridge level by Wenger), but no one has the benefit of hindsight when you make a decision.
Based on his performances for Arsenal he has never shown that he would have done any better than our attackers when he had been here (he had less than 10 goals in his first season there, 4 in the league). His best season saw him score 8 goals for us and Rooney that season scored 12 playing in midfield most of the season. You could argue that his overall play would improve us as a team but he was at a club more stable than ours and didn't do the same over there. It wouldn't have improved by much.

The simple fact was that he wasn't good enough for us. 9/10 any club would take the exact same decision at the exact same situation. It's not even the worst decision we took in the last 10 years. Letting tevez goto city and bringing in Michael Owen instead was much much worse. I doubt welbeck would have still been here even if we didn't sell him then in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.