Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilRed

His run down the left wing where he brings it past 2-3 dipper players only to stumble and let it out for a goal kick sums up his day. Brilliant right up until the last touch when it counts.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's another of those games where he won't look good on MOTD tonight but I thought he worked hard and contributed well to the team play.

Even so, there is absolutely no self-belief in his finishing at the moment.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
His run down the left wing where he brings it past 2-3 dipper players only to stumble and let it out for a goal kick sums up his day. Brilliant right up until the last touch when it counts.
It relieved us from a period of pressure, there are not many players who can run three quarters of the pitch with two players hanging off them and then put a great ball into the box.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
There's a degree of truth here, but the signs are good nonetheless.

With maturity, he'll do better in those situations and suddenly we'll have an extremely accomplished player on our hands.

Now, you might say he'll never learn it, but time is on his side and his talent undeniable.

Fergie has always suggested he's destined for the top, and he's not often wrong.

Shark

@NotShark
Worth noting Rooney wasn't a good finisher at Welbeck's age.

Hoping the lad matures in the next two years, if he doesn't he will be off.
No, but he was still a lot better IMO. I'm of the opinion that he'll come good though. I think that he's still feeling the pressure of playing for us and that in turn is causing him to either freeze in front of goal or trying too hard and ending up falling on his arse. :lol:

The makings of a great player and goalscorer are there, because he has shown that he can definitely finish for both club and country. As a player he's developing well.

Brightonian

Brilliant game apart from scoring goals. Probably the biggest contributing factor to the difference between the two halves was that he pressed tirelessly in the first and stopped doing so in the second. Reina and the back four honestly didn't have a second to catch their breath in the entire first 45, and their midfield never really got any decent supply as a result.

That said, if he was as good a finisher as he is a player, we'd have been 4-0 up at half time.

Claymore

Great game today, exciting to watch, holds the ball, works hard, has a few tricks up his sleeve and will go past people. You could have stuck Herndanez on and he'd get those chances on target, if not score but he'd not have done all that, no way IMO. Both are handy to have.

Shark

@NotShark
Great game today, exciting to watch, holds the ball, works hard, has a few tricks up his sleeve and will go past people. You could have stuck Herndanez on and he'd get those chances on target, if not score but he'd not have done all that, no way IMO. Both are handy to have.
Welbeck covered a lot of ground and his over-all play was brilliant. However, lets not act like he got five assists. Hernandez has been linking up brilliant lately, he's in no way far behind Welbeck in that department.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Welbeck covered a lot of ground and his over-all play was brilliant. However, lets not act like he got five assits. Hernandez has been linking up brilliant lately, he's in no way far behind Welbeck in that department.
Hernandez's all round game has improved greatly and he does have great work rate, Welbeck is better at retaining possession though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Fergie:

"Danny was fantastic. I thought he gave them a real hard day of it, the two centre-backs. He and Robin, particularly in the first half, gave them a very difficult time. The reason Danny played was because we wanted someone who would drop on top of their centre-midfield player. He did that well and put in a great shift. He ran his legs off today and deserved the Man of the Match award."

Robin:

“He [Welbeck] played really well. I think he was good in the combinations and played a big part in the build-up to the first goal, passing and moving to make space. A couple of times he got the ball when they made a mistake. I got it one or two times when they misplaced the ball.

“He has been brilliant. He is still young and has been really good in training, working his socks off. He is a very positive guy who wants and loves to play football. He did really well.”

Welbeck covered a lot of ground and his over-all play was brilliant. However, lets not act like he got five assists. Hernandez has been linking up brilliant lately, he's in no way far behind Welbeck in that department.
He is, even with his improvemant this season.

Drainy

Fergie:

"Danny was fantastic. I thought he gave them a real hard day of it, the two centre-backs. He and Robin, particularly in the first half, gave them a very difficult time. The reason Danny played was because we wanted someone who would drop on top of their centre-midfield player. He did that well and put in a great shift. He ran his legs off today and deserved the Man of the Match award."
Yeah, this is one of the great things about the player- he really helps you control a match or at least limit the amount of control the opposition can have.

Probably the best example was the England game against Italy where he kept Pirlo fairly quiet for the first half then was taken off and Pirlo ran the game afterwards.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
He's going to be some player. Just needs to work on his finishing and composure in front of goal.
This.

A for effort today, but a B- for finishing.

Still, Welbz had a huge impact on the outcome of the match. Job well done!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Tale of two areas for Welbeck again today. Really great outside the box and rubbish inside it when it comes to putting the chance away. That great run down the side that ended in him stumbling and tripping over before the ball rolled out for a goal kick summed him up this game. Does great to get the chance and then messes it up

finneh

This.

A for effort today, but a B- for finishing.

Still, Welbz had a huge impact on the outcome of the match. Job well done!
B- is exceptionally generous.

Tale of two areas for Welbeck again today. Really great outside the box and rubbish inside it when it comes to putting the chance away. That great run down the side that ended in him stumbling and tripping over before the ball rolled out for a goal kick summed him up this game. Does great to get the chance and then messes it up
Agreed.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
More than the run down the side yesterday I loved that swift change of pace inside Liverpool's penalty area to leave Skrtel stranded. That was Torres like (the Liverpool Torres) except for the finish

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He put in a Park-esque performance in a big game with his closing down, energy and link up play. However, being a striker rather than a midfielder, we need better things from him in the final third. I really have zero confidence in him when he gets into those positions. I'm pretty much expecting him to screw it up somehow.

Let's combine Welbeck and Hernandez.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's the sort of performance I've come to expect from Welbeck. Generally excellent but not dangerous.

Hopefully it's something he'll improve on. I suspect it will be.

Swaters16

More than the run down the side yesterday I loved that swift change of pace inside Liverpool's penalty area to leave Skrtel stranded. That was Torres like (the Liverpool Torres) except for the finish
That was brilliant. Left the defence for dead. Shame he didn't score against Liverpool he did enough work to but it was classic rushed finishing.

Zen86

The finish was Chelsea Torres

Forevergiggs

He put in a Park-esque performance in a big game with his closing down, energy and link up play. However, being a striker rather than a midfielder, we need better things from him in the final third. I really have zero confidence in him when he gets into those positions. I'm pretty much expecting him to screw it up somehow.

Let's combine Welbeck and Hernandez.
Excellently put. Not only you but it was evident that Welbeck has very low confidence in himself when in good positions. He seems to have declined in that respect since last season. I think it is largely due to his lack of playing time through the middle and his desire to try extra hard. May be it will be a good idea if someone from coaching staff tells him that there is no pressure on him to score goals and he should relax and play his natural game. Goals will come.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It feels like he rushes things or get too excited. This is why he falls over or messes up. Once he's settled, he will be brilliant. Liverpool couldnt really stop him and his work rate was fantastic

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
That smile and laugh with Sturridge when he fell over in the box was the only worry. It's as though he accepts that clumsiness as part of his game now. You wouldn't get Cantona or Ronaldo finding that funny.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
That smile and laugh with Sturridge when he fell over in the box was the only worry. It's as though he accepts that clumsiness as part of his game now. You wouldn't get Cantona or Ronaldo finding that funny.
Christ on a bike, some people will read too much into anything.

SirFergie

Jesus Christ. What planet are you living on? 'Accepts clumsiness'? Instead of nit-picking at the negative, why not concentrate on the positives immediately before that? He beat 4 Liverpool players, carried the ball confidently, relieving the pressure on our defence and had the vision to lay it off to RVP for the 1-2. He'd probably run 40/50 yards before he'd just ran out of steam. Wasn't clumsiness at all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is there any other position he could play? I mean, I am not too sure about him being striker in the team when we need to score a goal.

adam118

Is there any other position he could play? I mean, I am not too sure about him being striker in the team when we need to score a goal.
If it wasn't for him hassling Clichy we wouldn't have scored the winner. He exactly the sort of player you want on the team when you are chasing for a goal, just maybe not the one finishing the chance.

Member 39557

If it wasn't for him hassling Clichy we wouldn't have scored the winner. He exactly the sort of player you want on the team when you are chasing for a goal, just maybe not the one finishing the chance.
I think he justs needs a run of games up front to find his confidence in front of goal. Too many bit part appearances, or being shunted over to the wing.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
It was probably because Sturridge was taking the piss out of him, and they are mates from playing up top for England U-21s.

If your mate's taking the piss out of you, do you have a laugh about it, or be a mardy twat?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
some of you lads need to get out more

Thought Welbeck was very good, made great runs to open space, put the CB's and goalkeepers under pressure, held the ball up well . Basically his play opened up the space for the likes of RVP

good tactics from Fergie yesterday

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's not like it was getting late on in the game and he'd already put in a fair old shift and just ran the length of the pitch chased by two players and his legs just gave out whilst trying to stop.

No it's sloppy and clumsy and falling over and smiling about it has no place in the game.

It's like that idiot comment in the match day thread about needing to change his game to have a future. This, whilst we are leading, against arguably our biggest rivals, in a match where he's named man of match by Neville and fergie and will go down in the books as such.

I swear some people just have to be moany fecks about every little thing, rather than savour the moment.

manusteve

I think it's 50:50 whether Welbeck becomes a top class, consistent, striker.

His lack of goals are not compensated for by the number of assists.

We'll see in time...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ole and Dwight would have both creased up at that and they weren't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.