Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

forevrared

End product actually matters you know.

Van Persie barely touched the ball but he scored once, assisted another and almost scored twice with shots that were on target and tested Reina and as such he was better than Welbeck today by a distance.
It does matter, but without his work rate and link-up play I doubt the first half is even close to being as dominated by United. Even in the second half when Van Persie tired and became more of a focal point to (poorly) aim at; Welbeck was still running his heart out, tracking back, creating chances and allowing us to stretch the field with his pace.

If Rooney had just put in the exact same shift, he'd be praised to the high heavens. Welbeck just has a reputation of being a bad finisher (and he should do better) so United fans completely toss out the rest of his game and focus on the missed finishes. He's still very young and won't be as clinical as he can be until he gets more of a run in the first team. He did just fine for himself last season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I wonder how many terms like Defensive forward are their.

Phil Jones must be an attacking central defender.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I am not Welbeck's biggest fan but his work rate and running today was awesome. Yes we know he's not a finisher (when he has time to think) but he was everywhere today. That's what you get with a local lad in a derby. Brilliant performance.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The point is it's that being an ex-pro doesn't prevent you from having incorrect/bizzare opinions on football. Appeal to authority and all that.
What does that matter? He made his choice, so did SAF. You think they are both wrong, now are trying to twist it about something else because I pointed that out.

We don't know what SAF actually thinks about Welbeck's performance today.
Obviously. What do you guess he thinks though?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
SAF's thoughts about Welbeck's performance/

Sir Alex also says "Danny Welbeck deserves to be Man of the Match today."

lunchforthesky

It does matter, but without his work rate and link-up play I doubt the first half is even close to being as dominated by United. Even in the second half when Van Persie tired and became more of a focal point to (poorly) aim at; Welbeck was still running his heart out, tracking back, creating chances and allowing us to stretch the field with his pace.
It's one of Welbeck's main jobs to find Van Persie isn't it? Do you think that the lack of involvement RVP had today has quite a bit to do with Welbeck's link up play?

If Rooney had just put in the exact same shift, he'd be praised to the high heavens. Welbeck just has a reputation of being a bad finisher (and he should do better) so United fans completely toss out the rest of his game and focus on the missed finishes. He's still very young and won't be as clinical as he can be until he gets more of a run in the first team. He did just fine for himself last season.
What's wrong with just having a balanced opinion on Welbeck. He's not shit, he shouldn't go out on loan but neither is he looking like he's going to turn into a world class striker anytime soon. He's hard working, has good link up play but he has a lot of room to improve his finishing and his passing in the final third.

Eugenius

Fecking hell some of youse bastards in here, he's not fecking Heskey, Walters, Kuyt etc. He's not a brute just running around aimlessly. He's a very good technical player with great link up play and is dynamic.

He's scored with some outstanding finishes like vs Holland, vs City, vs Derby in the league cup(?), vs Everton. He's not inept.

Last season he went on a run of scoring 1 in 2 at the start of the season, then he had a dry spell then he went on another similar run. Shit happens. Look at Hernandez last season.

And he's barely 22.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He was involved in most of United's play but his actual productivity was poor. His balance seems weird. Nearly every shot he goes tumbling.

lunchforthesky

Nothing. Saying he shouldn't have started and SAF and Neville are wrong about his choice in the team and MOM, doesn't show much balance though.
I didn't say this.

And no poster say far has selected him as our MOTM in the MOTM thread. So clearly I'm not the only one.

forevrared

It's one of Welbeck's main jobs to find Van Persie isn't it? Do you think that the lack of involvement RVP had today has quite a bit to do with Welbeck's link up play?
My point is that to start the game, both of them were hounding Reina and the back four at every given opportunity and that's one of the main reasons we had such a lion's share of possession. Welbeck kept it up throughout the game whilst Van Persie couldn't. You wouldn't really expect that of Robin though, so my point is that Welbeck's work rate throughout the game may have been just what shaded it for us in the end. At points he was defending at left back, even.

What's wrong with just having a balanced opinion on Welbeck. He's not shit, he shouldn't go out on loan but neither is he looking like he's going to turn into a world class striker anytime soon. He's hard working, has good link up play but he has a lot of room to improve his finishing and his passing in the final third.
I've got absolutely no problem with that assessment. You'd just think he was on par with Bebe or Manucho the way some talk about him in here after matches. He missed MAYBE two chances, one of which was blocked on the way in and the MotM performance he put in in otherwise goes completely out the window because he didn't score.

Amir

Hopefully everything comes together for him like it did for Ronaldo, for instance, who didn't score many in his early days and was criticised for a lack of end product. His football is absolutely beautiful at times, you can set it to music, but it has to lead to something or he'll be a luxury player. He's got time, though. And all the talent in the world.

gza the genius

Yeah it is just a crazy concept that I dreamed up whilst eating my Readybrek.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blo...orwards-barcelona-liverpool-manchester-united
Benitez and Kuyt were basically the first ones to coin the term, at least that I can remember. Welbeck has similar work ethic and defensive capabilities to Kuyt but to compare the two on any other level is just stupid.

Those saying "defensive forward" might not mean to compare him to Kuyt but that is all I can think of when I see the term.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Outstanding first half. He needs a goal though. I'm not concerned about his goal scoring long term but right now it seems to be playing on his mind a bit. Did brilliantly to get a shot off at all in the situation where Agger blocked him.

Redlambs

I've got absolutely no problem with that assessment. You'd just think he was on par with Bebe or Manucho the way some talk about him in here after matches.
The usual lot were doing it during the game. While we were winning (which happened to be most of the game) too.

It's not the opinion that he needs a lot of work on composure/finishing that's the problem, it's just such negativity even when he puts in a shift that got him man of the match!

finneh

Great work ethic all game, chased everything, it's a shame that he's so poor in front of goal, as he should have scored at least once in the first half.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think before even talking about Welbeck scoring goals, we have to see him hit the target at least.He doesn't do that enough so automatically his goalscoring is bad.I'm not worried, he has so much time to devellop that aspect of the game

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Said it before if there was a way to combine Welbeck's general play and Hernandez's ruthless finishing we'd have a damn good player.

lunchforthesky

So why bang on about Hernandez?
Because it's a Manchester United football forum so we're going to discuss squad selection after the game? Especially when we're starting a player in a massive game who's had an objectively worse season so far than his direct replacement. I'm not even saying we should have started Hernandez, but clearly he brings something we could have used in the first half when we were on top so it's worth talking about.

So it's not a balanced opinion to think he shouldn't have been MOTM, but nearly everyone on the Caf agrees he shouldn't. So we're all idiots who hate Welbeck?

Godfather

His work ethic is absolutely brilliant as is his link up play and speed.
Just needs to work on his decision making and finishing.

Redlambs

Because it's a Manchester United football forum so we're going to discuss squad selection after the game? Especially when we're starting a player in a massive game who's had an objectively worse season so far than his direct replacement. I'm not even saying we should have started Hernandez, but clearly he brings something we could have used in the first half when we were on top so it's worth talking about.
In a thread about Welbeck. After a game we won, where he was awarded man of the match. You were on his case a bit in the matchday thread whilst we were winning too, were you not?

So it's not a balanced opinion to think he shouldn't have been MOTM, but nearly everyone on the Caf agrees he shouldn't. So we're all idiots who hate Welbeck?
You continued attempts at spin and deflection won't work here. Look how many he has in the top three, and both Neville and SAF himself agrees.

I'm not saying your opinion or anyone else's is wrong, I just don't think you are as balanced as you are claiming.

lunchforthesky

In a thread about Welbeck. After a game we won, where he was awarded man of the match. You were on his case a bit in the matchday thread whilst we were winning too, were you not?

You continued attempts at spin and deflection won't work here. Look how many he has in the top three, and both Neville and SAF himself agrees.

I'm not saying your opinion or anyone else's is wrong, I just don't think you are as balanced as you are claiming.
I'd have him 4th, so is it really that big a difference?

Varun

Staff
Had a very good game. Was everywhere.

Needs to do better in front of goal but that'l come.

Fantastic otherwise.

Cold_Boy

That amazing amazing run and then the shocking end result around the 80th mark sums up Welbeck.

Very talented but what the feck happens to him when it comes to finishing stuff up?

Shark

@NotShark
I found him highly frustrating today, but he had a good game despite not scoring. Not MOTM material for me though.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
That amazing amazing run and then the shocking end result around the 80th mark sums up Welbeck.

Very talented but what the feck happens to him when it comes to finishing stuff up?
It was great defensive forward play tbh.

Nogbadthebad

I'm guessing that in those situations where he has time to think the pressure gets to him. Hes a hometown boy playing for his team, and hes still young, it will come in time, I think his ability to find the net for England, where he probably feels less pressure , shows what we can expect in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.