g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Darren Fletcher image 24

Darren Fletcher Scotland flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ji_Maria

How much of this anti Fletcher thing from the Villa game was predetermined by so many deciding he would have a bad game even before kick off?. I am just watching the game again and 15 minutes in he hasnt put a foot wrong. The match thread however was already indicating he was having a stinker. Is there a level of confirmation bias kicking in here?. Decide he is shit and then wait till he makes a mistake and that confirms he is shit?
What game are you watching mate. Slow back or sideways passss, passes that went straight to Villa players, losing the ball, constantly breaking up our attacks.

To be fair Evans and others were also dire.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How much of this anti Fletcher thing from the Villa game was predetermined by so many deciding he would have a bad game even before kick off?. I am just watching the game again and 15 minutes in he hasnt put a foot wrong. The match thread however was already indicating he was having a stinker. Is there a level of confirmation bias kicking in here?. Decide he is shit and then wait till he makes a mistake and that confirms he is shit?
The fact LvG hauled him off. I know he did it with Paddy McNair, but he is a kid and an arm round him and reassurance that it was just an off day would have been enough. With Darren age is not on his side and it must have been awful for him.

R'hllor

Funny how fans demand loyalty from players but when its other way around,then no space for sentiments etc.I believe that every player has some value,some on the pitch,some off the pitch.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's been a good/loyal servant and has done remarkably well to play again after his terrible illness. He is done here though and I think we should only play him if the entire midfield are injured. Even then though I'd rather see them take a chance on another U21/youth team player.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Funny how fans demand loyalty from players but when its other way around,then no space for sentiments etc.I believe that every player has some value,some on the pitch,some off the pitch.
Unfortunately Darren is only useful for cameo roles and that is sad. I was amazed the LvG thought he would last 90 minutes. If he cannot he will not be much use to any other PL team either. He is a lovely guy and yes he has been brave coming back from his illness, but I think Darren has some serious thinking to do about his future.

Getsme

:lol: While I agree fans can be quick to write off players, that's not the case with Fletcher. He hasn't played well since 2010.
Well im not the type to do that, but in Fletcher's case i just see him done at this level. He just isn't good anymore.
His crappy 'form' goes all the way back to the Burnley game. He was hiding then, unable to get any control of the game. And it is still clear he is finished.
I'm not saying he's going to be a regular starter, but you have to take into consideration the limited amount of games we have played this season, all going well that won't be the case next year. Having an experienced player who can come on as a sub to give a player a rest or to help the youth players in cup games can only be beneficial.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not saying he's going to be a regular starter, but you have to take into consideration the limited amount of games we have played this season, all going well that won't be the case next year. Having an experienced player who can come on as a sub to give a player a rest or to help the youth players in cup games can only be beneficial.
TBH everytime I have seen him play this season, including when he was a starter at the start of the season, he has been poor.
I would rather Adreas Pereira was giving a chance ahead of him now (yes I know hes not a holding player) but Carrick/Blind can do that job.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
He's been coming off the bench lately and he just makes things worse. I get that he's experienced, but he doesn't offer anything anymore.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
That certainly did appear to be a policy many in the matchday thread had adopted yesterday, whether he represented the primary source of the team's difficulties or not. Easier to target the rusty campaigner who used to be ill but he with least attacking responsibility, than the creative players who failed to perform or LVG himself.

I clearly remember matches from last season in which he was praised, it's hardly the norm to go from that point "retire from the sport". It might be that the new regime is incompatible with the sort of environment Fletch needs at this stage in his career, be it the intensity of the training or the scarcity of game time to keep things ticking over if you will. I think some people were being remarkably hasty with their judgements, leastwise with the limited evidence available.

Because it isn't, the two sports are entirely different in their demands on the body and mind.
Rowing makes greater demands of both, you mean?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

If it was me to decide, i wouldn't give him a new contract just so he could play a few cup games and because he is experienced. We need to build a competitive side and also be ruthless to players not good enough.

Good point about that, however that isn't an excuse for him not being good enough for this team.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I like Fletcher and I have a lot of respect for him but I do think it's time he hung up the boots. I'm sure he would have some coaching role with us maybe with the youth team as he's a player who the young players could definitely learn a lot from and he would make a good coach. His performance yesterday was just awful, it's a shame because Fletcher was a good player before his illness.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I haven't read any of the recent posts in here, but he is, quite obviously, no longer good enough. If there are any posters arguing that, as I suspect there will be, then they are not good enough either!*

*Usual disclaimer that must be attached to every post about Fletch about how he (seems) a great guy and everything and I have nothing against him as a person and acknowledge he has been a good player for us for (some) of his 10-odd years here.

Getsme

If it was me to decide, i wouldn't give him a new contract just so he could play a few cup games and because he is experienced. We need to build a competitive side and also be ruthless to players not good enough.

Good point about that, however that isn't an excuse for him not being good enough for this team.
When is his contract up?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I remember last season on here when I put his name forward on the list of players who needed to leave in the summer (along with a few others who are proving their worth this season admittedly) and most, except Pogue I think, called it disrespectful lunacy. It isn't just this season, he has looked off the pace since his return I believe.

He is now in liability territory sadly.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Next appearance vs Yeovil in the FA Cup. Simple.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's not playing close to the standard required. He's been a loyal servant to club and has been through an extremely tough couple years, don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I'm sure he'd be invaluable asset in some sort of coaching role. Just can't afford to keep giving him minutes when we're trying to be competitive really.

Kakeru

Next appearance vs Yeovil in the FA Cup. Simple.
I wouldn't even give him that if it was for me. He has done nothing this season to deserve that.

I would reverse the course of the mistake Fergie made ahead of our FA Cup tie with City back then: basically play our most promising midfielder from our youth ranks and sit the veteran out on this one.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I wouldn't even give him that if it was for me. He has done nothing this season to deserve that.

I would reverse the course of the mistake Fergie made ahead of our FA Cup tie with City back then: basically play our most promising midfielder from our youth ranks and sit the veteran out on this one.
Yeah, I would like to see Blind (coming back from injury) paired with Pereira in that game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought he was OK yesterday. Not his fault that the centre of the pitch was so congested, and he's never been a massively creative player. He still showed more urgency and effort to get the ball forward than some of our players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The reason he is still in the squad and playing is- in my opinion- mainly because of sentimental reasons. What else does he offer to this team? I don’t feel safe when he comes on the last 15 minutes. That might be harsh but that’s the way it is. Obviously he has a value for the team, but right now playing him against any EPL opposition is risky.*

*Usual disclaimer that must be attached to every post about Fletch about how he (seems) a great guy and everything and I have nothing against him as a person and acknowledge he has been a good player for us for (some) of his 10-odd years here.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If his contract is up in the summer it might be taken out of his hands. They might just not renew it.
Think that's a given and rightly so. Football is a business and Fletcher is not at the standard required now.

Ace of Spades

He just is not at the level that we need, could continue at a lower team or a smaller league.

R'hllor

The reason he is still in the squad and playing is- in my opinion- mainly because of sentimental reasons. What else does he offer to this team? I don’t feel safe when he comes on the last 15 minutes. That might be harsh but that’s the way it is. Obviously he has a value for the team, but right now playing him against any EPL opposition is risky.*
Well i dont know whats going on outside official matches,on training ground,in locker room,how other players see him and his role among that group,i can only guess but i wont.If they keep him around,then he must have some value to us if not on the field then off the field.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well i dont know whats going on outside official matches,on training ground,in locker room,how other players see him and his role among that group,i can only guess but i wont.If they keep him around,then he must have some value to us if not on the field then off the field.
I guess we both agree he should be kept off the field then.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
While you can obviously feel bad for him on a personal level - he became ill when had finally, relatively briefly, actually been United quality - he's also been paid a rather impressive salary for the past 3 years basically without doing his 'job'.

So United don't really 'owe' him anything: he's been handsomely rewarded by the club who have shown him far, far more loyalty than almost any other player I can think of. When you consider we got rid of players like Brown and O'Shea - who have contributed far more to our success in the first team than Fletcher over the years - but kept Darren despite his illness...makes you wonder why to be honest. What did Fletch do to inspire so much loyalty that so many others did not?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
he became ill when had finally, relatively briefly, actually been United quality - he's also been paid a rather impressive salary for the past 3 years basically without doing his 'job'.
Was it so very brief?

For several years at least he was one of those unsung players whom Fergie could rely upon when facing top opposition like Arsenal or Chelsea. You also appear to be writing off last season as if those individual performances were a shambles from start to last, which doesn't square with the reaction on here IIRC.

Now maybe he doesn't start games for us much this season, but if he can secure enough minutes on the pitch to regain form then he can still be a calming force should we want someone to help us close out the game IMO [he seems to be a good organiser and possess some tactical awareness in that way].

NinjaFletch

While you can obviously feel bad for him on a personal level - he became ill when had finally, relatively briefly, actually been United quality - he's also been paid a rather impressive salary for the past 3 years basically without doing his 'job'.

So United don't really 'owe' him anything: he's been handsomely rewarded by the club who have shown him far, far more loyalty than almost any other player I can think of. When you consider we got rid of players like Brown and O'Shea - who have contributed far more to our success in the first team than Fletcher over the years - but kept Darren despite his illness...makes you wonder why to be honest. What did Fletch do to inspire so much loyalty that so many others did not?
Because he's a human being and its the decent thing to do?

I don't see how you can have the gall to criticise a club for not being callous and petty in this day and age.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was it so very brief?

For several years at least he was one of those unsung players whom Fergie could rely upon when facing top opposition like Arsenal or Chelsea. You also appear to be writing off last season as if those individual performances were a shambles from start to last, which doesn't square with the reaction on here IIRC.

Now maybe he doesn't start games for us much this season, but if he can secure enough minutes on the pitch to regain form then he can still be a calming force should we want someone to help us close out the game IMO [he seems to be a good organiser and possess some tactical awareness in that way].
I reckon on the whole, although of course not entirely his fault due to the illness, that he has been a poor player, by United standards anyway, for more time than he has been a good Manchester United player.

As far as loyalty from the club is concerned, he has gotten a great deal from the United. He's been with us more than 10 years, off the top of my head, I'd say he's had perhaps 2 good seasons, maybe 3, I don't know, and also spent a fair bit of time being quite some way off the requisite standard. When you consider the players that have left us in that time, he's been treated fantastically. If he were to join Hull or St. Mirren in January, he cannot leave feeling he's been done harshly here. As much as people hate the suggestion, I think it is clear that Fergie had felt some sort of particular loyalty towards him, certainly one that exceeded his talents.

Indired

Do you work for the coaching team? Or are you making shit up?
Why do our fans expect a high level performance from a player who hasn't featured regularly for several months, it seems a player isn't allowed to have a blip these days, if he does he's finished.
This is exactly the sort of assumption I find baffling. How do you know how he has performed in training?. Have you heard he has been poor in training?
Apologies. wrong choice of words from my side. What I meant was, LVG wouldn't pick someone up just for his reputation , without him showing adequate performances in training . :)

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was it so very brief?

Yes it was very brief.
He's been out for three years, had two seasons where he was decent, and prior to that I thought his real name was "fecking" Darren Fletcher they way other fans talked about him.

Getsme

Apologies. wrong choice of words from my side. What I meant was, LVG wouldn't pick someone up just for his reputation , without him showing adequate performances in training . :)
Ah makes more sense, and I agree.

khoazany

I love Fletcher but LVG need to drop him out of the 18-man squad until he has shown some improvement or someone buy him.He didn't really offer anything when coming off the bench either so the "experienced" bit is clearly overrated.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fletcher confuses me, he was excellent pre-season but unlike players like Young and Valencia he has not taken that form into the league season. On our US tour Fletch was arguably our best player, yet now he seems unable to make even the simplest passes. You have to think its a confidence issue. I get what people are saying about the speed and pace of the game, but its one thing to lose mobility its another to lose the ability to hit a straight pass. Its odd too because from the outside it feels like LVG has tried to boost his confidence e.g. making him a team captain etc. Maybe something else is going on with him? Maybe he's worried about his contract situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.