Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Cup competitions are usually for guys on the fringe, whatever the age. The fact that Van Gaal named Fletcher as vice captain clearly shows that values and appreciates what he brings, even if it's not as a starter. As for not needing him as back-up, I disagree. I would prefer Fletcher to Fellaini or Anderson, and really right now that's all we have. Of course, if we get Strootman or another high quality central midfielder then it's a different story, but I'll factor that in if it actually happens.
Fringe players to prepare them for the main team or keep them fit to contribute. Would make no sense to keep him to play cup games if we dont believe he can contribute to the 1st team anymore.

For the defensive mid position, we have Blind, Carrick and Fellaini. In case of emergencies, Jones as well. I'd play any of these 4 ahead of him. Signing Strootman or someone of his quality means little in terms of Fletch's role in the team because like it or not, he's just a backup squad player now, whether we get a top drawer CM or not wont justify keeping him as we have backups already.

Smoke On the Water

We should give him minutes in the hope he becomes productive again out of loyalty to him and because we stuck by him during his illness? Yeah, doesnt make sense to me if that's what you mean.
Not what I mean, I am not saying the club has to objectively go out of their way to give him minutes. If he decided to just keep signing minimum contracts until retirement and be a bit part player and get minutes here and there then he would be deserving. The opposite of a scenario where a player is just wasting time and energy and doesn't deserve to start getting minutes. His experience and bleed-red attitude is handy.

Bojan11

I'm not sure about cup competition being for kids or fringe players. We should do our best and play our best team for the FA Cup this season.

We not likely to win the league. But I hope we take the FA Cup seriously as it's something we haven't won in a long time and could be the perfect kick starter for us again.

So I don't want to see players like Fletcher or any other fringe players play in the FA Cup.

itso 7

I think he will prove his worth in the odd game here and there but he is far too gone to be a starter here. If he has no problem playing such a minimal role then he can stay for as long as possible, it's not like he is keeping out a talented player or drawing 300k/wk!

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't want to see Darren Fletcher ever again full stop.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Shouldn't be anywhere near a 1st team place now. And I'd be pretty surprised another premiership club would be in for him as anything other than a backup player.

FromTheBench

Shouldn't be anywhere near a 1st team place now. And I'd be pretty surprised another premiership club would be in for him as anything other than a backup player.
I think a few prem clubs will be keen on him if he wants to leave.

His contract is up next summer. I'd like us to offer him a coaching role of some sort but if he wants to play then he'd have to leave probably.

Amir

I think people are reading too much into the vice captaincy. All it means is Van Gaal had no intention to let him go this summer. It could be for various reasons. He may not have been able to read early on, through pre season games, how bad he will perform in actual games; He might have thought that we can't complete the restructure needed in midfield in one summer, so Fletcher would survive early on; He may be looking for a little leadership after the departure of several senior players.

None of those options mean Fletcher has a big role to play in terms of first team football, and once Blind arrived he promptly lost his place in the first 11, and rightly so. He probably doesn't have enough to offer, even in a squad player. It was good of the club to give him time to recover and a chance to play for us again, but there's a limit to have far we can go with that. Not knowing when to give up on players is part of the reason we lost out way a bit. We allowed him to ressurrect his career. Unless he surprises us with his performances, his career path should lead him elsewhere.

Man Utd 2:1 West Ham

surf

Good substitution to bring him on. He offered the experience and leadership to keep the team together during the inevitable rearguard action after the red card. Kudos to Fletch.

Devil may care

It's been almost a month since his brief cameo appearance and once Rooney, Falcao and Valencia are back I think he is going to struggle to even make the bench. I know he's hoping to captain Scotland at the Euros in 2016 but it seems a long shot. He's clearly highly respected by the other players and I can't help but feel now might be the time for him to move towards the coaching staff.

Loublaze

ATLien
It's been almost a month since his brief cameo appearance and once Rooney, Falcao and Valencia are back I think he is going to struggle to even make the bench. I know he's hoping to captain Scotland at the Euros in 2016 but it seems a long shot. He's clearly highly respected by the other players and I can't help but feel now might be the time for him to move towards the coaching staff.
Scotland will take whatever they can. He's going to the Euros

SambaBoy

He was a great player for the club for them two seasons, and good back-up before hand. He used to always turn up in the big games, I remember that season where he was MOTM in 90% of the big games we played but then his form started to decline and he wasn't the same player. He then got diagnosed with his illness which obviously explained the drop in form and we didn't see him for the best part of two years.

For someone to have a really bad illness like that and then even return to football is a great story and credit to Fletcher but it's unrealistic to expect him to return as the same player at such an intense level. Ideally he should retire and be kept on in same role at the club, maybe even a coach. He's a great character to have around the club but I can't see him starting much especially considering we will strengthen our midfield come the end of the season.

Roboc7

With the new signings in midfield, Fellaini showing signs of life and some of the youngsters we have as well it wouldn't really make sense to renew his contract when it expires in the summer. Have a lot of respect for him not only for coming back from the illness but for transforming himself from a player who was ridiculed to one of our most reliable performers in big games. I think he should carry on elsewhere, a move to Celtic would be good for him and would allow him to play regularly and stay in the Scotland squad, he may as well enjoy couple more years playing regularly rather than sitting on the bench and one day he might come back and join the coaching staff.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's done as a player for a big club I think. He looks too far off the pace. I'm not even sure he's a Premier League player at the moment with the current level of quality/competitiveness.

I think he could do really well in the Championship though, his experience would be valuable for an ambitious promotion-chasing side. That said, I'd like him to hang around in some sort of coaching capacity ideally.

Devil may care

With the new signings in midfield, Fellaini showing signs of life and some of the youngsters we have as well it wouldn't really make sense to renew his contract when it expires in the summer. Have a lot of respect for him not only for coming back from the illness but for transforming himself from a player who was ridiculed to one of our most reliable performers in big games. I think he should carry on elsewhere, a move to Celtic would be good for him and would allow him to play regularly and stay in the Scotland squad, he may as well enjoy couple more years playing regularly rather than sitting on the bench and one day he might come back and join the coaching staff.
If he had an opportunity to play for Celtic and wanted that I'd wish him well, despite the fact I think he seems to offer some leadership behind the scenes here. If he can get to lead Scotland at an International tournament he might see that has a great finale to his return and come back here as a coach afterwards.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I find it ridiculous people saying he should retire. He is only 30 and has worked his ass off to get through his illness and get back on the pitch. No way should he just hang up his boots.

An Irish Red

His best qualities were always his drive, determination and work-rate. He wasn't a brilliant technical player by any means but his energy made him invaluable.

Now that he's lost that I don't really see a place for him. It's a shame and I wish that wasn't the case but I'd be surprised if he was here next year.

Blue always red

The ultimate servant of the club. I guarantee he has taken on the Evra/Rio/Vida role of being the go-to guy for the newbies.

Kag

The ultimate servant of the club. I guarantee he has taken on the Evra/Rio/Vida role of being the go-to guy for the newbies.
His leadership, experience and club know-how will be important behind the scenes, agreed. I think he'll leave next summer, in search of the first team football he deserves, but holding on to him until then should prove to be a good decision.

Considering we have lost so many players that truly understood what being a United player is all about, retaining Fletcher until the new management and players have had a year to fully settle in should prove wise.

Blue always red

His leadership, experience and club know-how will be important behind the scenes, agreed. I think he'll leave next summer, in search of the first team football he deserves, but holding on to him until then should prove to be a good decision.

Considering we have lost so many players that truly understood what being a United player is all about, retaining Fletcher until the new management and players have had a year to fully settle in should prove wise.
Completely agree. I may be wrong but I think Fletcher and Rooney are the only 2 players who are still here and joined in there late teens. They know, moreso than any other player, what it's like to join such a big club at such a young age and Fletch, particularly, knows what it's like to have a tough time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
no problems with him being a squad player, but can't really see him influencing things like he used to.

making him vice captain was mad, as he'll rarely be anywhere near the pitch

Phil Duck

He doesnt have to play every game to be an important player in the squad. People are so desperate to sell or retire every player that is not a starter on every match.

Kag

no problems with him being a squad player, but can't really see him influencing things like he used to.

making him vice captain was mad, as he'll rarely be anywhere near the pitch
Or it was clever, no? It saved Van Gaal the job of explaining why he had to choose between Rooney and Van Persie for captain and vice captain. Van Persie is our vice captain in all but name, but it isn't really a major talking point seeing as Fletcher quite sensibly fills that role. Whether he plays or not doesn't really matter.

Devil may care

He doesnt have to play every game to be an important player in the squad. People are so desperate to sell or retire every player that is not a starter on every match.
When I bumped the thread that is not what I said, it's got nothing to do with starting, I think he's fast approaching a point where he wont even make the bench.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When I bumped the thread that is not what I said, it's got nothing to do with starting, I think he's fast approaching a point where he wont even make the bench.
The yobby sweary know nothing fan who sits behind me kept woefully shouting "it's Fletcher, It's Fletcher coming on" for a couple of mins, when Wilson was coming on.

The idea that Van Gaal would bring a defensive mid on with so little time left when losing was interesting.

ZDwyr

Me too. Did he come on to play at fullback???
Smalling was moved to RB I think. He dropped in in midfield or at CB maybe? Either way it wasn't the best cameo, gave the ball away a lot.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Me too. Did he come on to play at fullback???
at first i thought it was a straight swap for valencia but looked more like smalling dropped into RB

then either Fletch played CB or Carrick moved to CB and fletch in mid

all seemed like unnecessary reorganisation anyway

Bojan11

Afraid to say he needs to be moved on in January and hopefully we can get Strootman.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
at first i thought it was a straight swap for valencia but looked more like smalling dropped into RB

then either Fletch played CB or Carrick moved to CB and fletch in mid

all seemed like unnecessary reorganisation anyway
Agreed. He seems like he's unable to play in our system anyway. Reached his end I feel.

BarstoolProphet

Afraid to say he needs to be moved on in January and hopefully we can get Strootman.
Why the rush? Vice-captain and our current longest-serving player that rarely gets any minutes. Probably a influential person in the dressing room also. Don't forget we're unlikely to get anything for him. Is this the way to treat a club player like him? Atleast give him the rest of the season unless he himself wants to move on before that. I rather let him stay for as long he likes.

Bojan11

Why the rush? Vice-captain and our current longest-serving player that rarely gets any minutes. Probably a influential person in the dressing room also. Don't forget we're unlikely to get anything for him. Is this the way to treat a club player like him? Atleast give him the rest of the season unless he himself wants to move on before that. I rather let him stay for as long he likes.
That's not how football works.

By your logic we should have kept Rio as he wanted to stay. Despite his performances going downhill. But hey ho he's been here 10 years he can stay for how long he wants. Or let's get Sir Bobby back as I'm sure he fancies a kick about.

This sentimental bollocks needs to stop. His performances aren't good enough anymore. Even his cameos.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
He was awful even in his few minutes.......too slow in Hull's last attacking move (Rojo saw the yellow in the end of that i think) and then his awful simple pass to Smalling

He was great for us and a shame about his illness but @Bojan11
That's not how football works.

By your logic we should have kept Rio as he wanted to stay. Despite his performances going downhill. But hey ho he's been here 10 years he can stay for how long he wants. Or let's get Sir Bobby back as I'm sure he fancies a kick about.

This sentimental bollocks needs to stop. His performances aren't good enough anymore. Even his cameos.
is 100%......This sentimental bollocks needs to stop

We're a football club (Yeah more a family club)......i rather see Pearson, Pereira or a new signing in his place

He must really go in the next 6 months......maybe even in January.....sorry Darren

Brightonian

He wasn't awful, he was fine. But there's really no point giving him these little pointless cameos. Get a youngster on the bench and give them a run-out instead, that would be infinitely more valuable.

i was a bit confused about where he played when he came on today?
He went into Carrick's position, Carrick dropped into Smalling's, and Smalling replaced Valencia at FB. Can't think what the point was other than that Van Gaal didn't want to risk our last semi-appropriate RB once the game was won.

Status
Not open for further replies.