Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
That was pre covid and he was genuinely incredible for them, I was so happy to see him go.
Lets be real, he was never a €150 Mill player. Barca got fleeced Because of the Neymar money.. but still, shocking fee.

Anderson_7_

Obviously it's way too early to write him off, but he does appear to be totally unprepared and a nervous wreck.

2 pre-season games and he's already in his feelings, tweeting ''resilience'' and posting shush emojis. He needs to get off social media for his own sake.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I literally told everyone. Only people raving about Darwin never saw him for 2 years in Portugal.

Could he be ok yes absolutely but ATM 100M for Him was ridiculous. Liverpool got worse because he is not going to replicate or replace mane. At least not this first year.

As I always said Benfica players….. it was nothing like Luiz Diaz who was amazing for 3 years. Darwin had one good season in 2… and even then he showed a lot of deficiencies. In Portugal many tall strikers succeed like Dost Slimani Jackson and ….Darwin…. Portugal league defenses don’t do well with big tall strikers.
Spot on. Would be shocked if anyone who watches the Portuguese league regularly feels differently.

Diaz and Bruno were both clearly head and shoulders above any player in the league during their time - Nunez is nowhere close. Taremi was comfortably better last year in the same position for me, and hell Felix as well showed a consistently higher level than Darwin at a much younger age despite that deal being ridiculed.

I just don't see it and never have. Stand by my initial reaction which was complete befuddlement.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You usually give a good and fair assessment mate so I’m hopeful you’ll pull through. So far you look on the money again!
You are far too kind - I've certainly had plenty of idiotic takes!

I do feel very confident about this one though - especially as compared to Liverpool fans who only watched him play a CL knockout tie against their reserve backline.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
This was @MUFC OK
We are actually heading for a Moyes summer. Funny to see our fans turning their noses up at some of the best prospects in Europe in favour of no credible alternatives. First window free of woodward and we've all been indoctrinated into the "no value in the market" adage.
How's one of the best prospects in Europe working out? Or are you going to quote at me his goal stats whilst ignoring your eyes. He's a blatantly limited player.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Spot on. Would be shocked if anyone who watches the Portuguese league regularly feels differently.

Diaz and Bruno were both clearly head and shoulders above any player in the league during their time - Nunez is nowhere close. Taremi was comfortably better last year in the same position for me, and hell Felix as well showed a consistently higher level than Darwin at a much younger age despite that deal being ridiculed.

I just don't see it and never have. Stand by my initial reaction which was complete befuddlement.
Felix problem was the price tag but he was always and still is clearly very talented a big talent.

Darwin had a poor touch in Portugal…let alone in England where the pressing and quality is higher.

He scored a lot….in Benfica. You have RJ understands that if your a striker for venfucs or Porto you will get many Goals. They dominate every game they play. You have to be different in order to standout.

Guys like Falcão, Hulk, Jackson, Bruno, Felix, Dias etc.

Dost scored a lot more and was a 1 goal every 3 shots in Portugal Kind of striker but I don’t think many people would want him.

Jackson Martinez was way better then Darwin but he still was a major flop.

I honestly don’t know how Benfica keeps getting these huge figures when a lot of their product flops.

SportingCP96

Supports
Weird how clubs fall for it, I guess it's really financially good for benfica though.
They don’t even see half the money. Mendes pockets most of it Thats how he gets these fees.

SportingCP96

Supports
Bas Dost scored 93 goals for Sporting in 3 seasons....
Yep. Like I said if your a tall and strong striker you will succeed in our league. Our defence especially the smaller teams have nothing to counter it.

That’s why I was so hesitant on Darwin even though people were arguing otherwise because they saw some YouTube videos.

Skills

Snitch
I feel like he'll be great, if he gets off to a flying start. But if he struggles at the start, i think it'll be hard for him to recover.

its one of those things, where confidence raises you up one notch - and i think he needs that to be a success, because he probably doesn't have the technique to fall back on at this moment in time.

Robbie Boy

Yep. Like I said if your a tall and strong striker you will succeed in our league. Our defence especially the smaller teams have nothing to counter it.

That’s why I was so hesitant on Darwin even though people were arguing otherwise because they saw some YouTube videos.
I honestly know feck all about Nunez, to be honest.

But, from reading your posts and other Portuguese followers in here - who know far more about him, than most - he doesn't really sound all too great!

SportingCP96

Supports
I honestly know feck all about Nunez, to be honest.

But, from reading your posts and other Portuguese followers in here - who know far more about him, than most - he doesn't really sound all too great!
It’s not that he can’t be good because he’s only 22 but to pay 100M for him is insane. He is not anywhere near a 100M player.

50M at most for me.

Statue of Limitations

He seems unimpressive from what I have seen from him - hopefully their jammy transfer magic has worn off and they are getting sub par players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I see a Lukaku-like trajectory if he gets it going.

That is, an actual decent to good level striker with good numbers in isolation (Lukaku’s overall record for club and country is pretty much 1 in 2 with a decent amount of assists) but when you actually watch him play with your eyes you can see there are some big limitations to his game that just can’t be overcome.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously it's way too early to write him off, but he does appear to be totally unprepared and a nervous wreck.

2 pre-season games and he's already in his feelings, tweeting ''resilience'' and posting shush emojis. He needs to get off social media for his own sake.
:lol: that was so funny

FatTails

Benefica are so good at selling players at inflated prices. Maybe the best around?

On this lad, he’ll be ok. He’ll score a lot of goals. I just ultimately think he doesn’t fit Liverpool that well, so overall the team will be worse with him in it. At least in the first season, I can see him benched for all the big games in favour of Jota, Diaz, and Salah.

He'sRaldo

Isn't it the same Benfica that sold Renato Sanches for 80m, and Joao Felix for 120m?

No idea how they do it but they love to sell a dud for huge sums. Thank god we avoided Gaitan.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Benefica are so good at selling players at inflated prices. Maybe the best around?

On this lad, he’ll be ok. He’ll score a lot of goals. I just ultimately think he doesn’t fit Liverpool that well, so overall the team will be worse with him in it. At least in the first season, I can see him benched for all the big games in favour of Jota, Diaz, and Salah.
Numbers back that one up i think, they hold the record for most net gain in the transfer market in the last decade it seems.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Isn't it the same Benfica that sold Renato Sanches for 80m, and Joao Felix for 120m?

No idea how they do it but they love to sell a dud for huge sums. Thank god we avoided Gaitan.
Sanches cost €35m when he went to Bayern - overpriced for sure but mostly because it completely set his career back. He's still only 24 and has been quite a tidy player for Lille (and for me has been pretty comfortably the best midfielder in the Portuguese NT setup for a couple years now).

Felix as well was overpriced and I think the same applies - he's set his career back with the move he made.

Darwin is in a different category - for me he's comfortably the worst player of the three.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I literally told everyone. Only people raving about Darwin never saw him for 2 years in Portugal.

Could he be ok yes absolutely but ATM 100M for Him was ridiculous. Liverpool got worse because he is not going to replicate or replace mane. At least not this first year.

As I always said Benfica players….. it was nothing like Luiz Diaz who was amazing for 3 years. Darwin had one good season in 2… and even then he showed a lot of deficiencies. In Portugal many tall strikers succeed like Dost Slimani Jackson and ….Darwin…. Portugal league defenses don’t do well with big tall strikers.
I feel Haaland at City combined with Mane leaving has led to them uncharacteristically panicking and just looking at the top line.

They should have done what they've done many times in the past and held their nerve and gone in with what they already had until someone suitable became avaliable (Diaz looks a good replacement for Mane anyway).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This lad will still score more in the league next year than Ronaldo if he stays. Just to balance out the thread. I’m enjoying how average he looks so far though. I just don’t see how someone who got those goals in the CL can pan out the way he’s being portrayed on here. Physically he looks like just the sort to turn in a lot of those crosses once Liverpool turn up the pressure (and get back on the inhalers)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Man I hope you’re right. That’d be glorious. Is this a Klopp signing gone wrong, now Michael Edwards is no longer guiding things?

Okey

They better not diagnose Nunez with asthma any time soon.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

That's ridiculous.

Charles Miller

The type of players they had in the front three, a false nine who can drop to midfield and two goal scorer wingers is the best way to go in my opinion. I think the best scenario for all parts would have been Havertz at Liverpool and Nunez at Chelsea.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The type of players they had in the front three, a false nine who can drop to midfield and two goal scorer wingers is the best way to go in my opinion. I think the best scenario for all parts would have been Havertz at Liverpool and Nunez at Chelsea.
We haven't played with a false 9 regularly for a while now. Firmino was 5th choice last season.