View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Trizy

I don't get the love Courtois is getting. He's a fantastic keeper, but his performances this season haven't been particularly great. His positioning and dominance in the air have been great, but I haven't watched a single game this season where I could say 'he's won that for Chelsea' in the same way I've said it for de Gea. The majority of the praise has been fuelled by the media. De Gea is easily no. 2 after Neuer imo, with Courtois, Handanovic, and Cech just behind. I can't take suggestions of ter Stegen, Leno, and Bravo seriously. No way are they on that level yet.

Also, people are underrating de Gea's performance against Arsenal. His positioning and anticipation for Wilshere's shot and the one where he closed down the Arsenal attacker were brilliant pieces of goalkeeping. He also did well commanding his area (which is no longer a weakness for him imo and hasn't been since early last season). His kicking was poor, but it always has been. This idea that he was great at kicking is an illusion. Commentators were talking about it when he first came, which is probably the reason people believe it. He can get great power in his kicks, but the accuracy has always been poor. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal, and I'd rather he be poor at that than any other gk aspect. Ideally, it'd be best if he had no weaknesses of course.

Have to agree, he is one of the most hyped players around and I don't understand why. He has potential due to his age and he is good but I've yet to see him have a world class match where he wins it for his team or doing something spectacular week in week out like Neuer or De Gea. Even that match vs us when RVP had two chances that were kicked directly at him that any keeper would've saved due to the angle the media and Chelsea fans went yabbing on about the great Courtois. :confused:

A lot of his hype last year was from Athletico winning the league and getting to the UCL final which of course you'd have to be some what decent to be on that winning team but as I was cheering for A.Marid towards the end of the season, watched all their big La Liga games and their latter CL games I didn't see one game where he was spectacular, like Costa he was a good player in a great team and not to other way around.

MDFC Manager

As far as I know, Courtois was amazing last season, and one of the big reasons why Atletico were so good. He hasn't had that much to do in England yet.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Have to agree, he is one of the most hyped players around and I don't understand while. He has potential due to his age and he is good but I've yet to see him have a world class match where he wins it for his team or doing something spectacular week in week out like Neuer or De Gea. Even that match vs us when RVP had two chances that were kicked directly at him that any keeper would've saved due to the angle the media and Chelsea fans went yabbing on about the great Courtois. :confused:
Nah, I think he's definitely world class, as is our Dave, but he hasn't really produced any match winning saves or anything like that this season, mainly because he doesn't have to. He's had a solid reliable defence in front of of him throughout the span of his short career, at Atletico and Chelsea.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I don't get the love Courtois is getting. He's a fantastic keeper, but his performances this season haven't been particularly great. His positioning and dominance in the air have been great, but I haven't watched a single game this season where I could say 'he's won that for Chelsea' in the same way I've said it for de Gea. The majority of the praise has been fuelled by the media. De Gea is easily no. 2 after Neuer imo, with Courtois, Handanovic, and Cech just behind. I can't take suggestions of ter Stegen, Leno, and Bravo seriously. No way are they on that level yet.

Also, people are underrating de Gea's performance against Arsenal. His positioning and anticipation for Wilshere's shot and the one where he closed down the Arsenal attacker were brilliant pieces of goalkeeping. He also did well commanding his area (which is no longer a weakness for him imo and hasn't been since early last season). His kicking was poor, but it always has been. This idea that he was great at kicking is an illusion. Commentators were talking about it when he first came, which is probably the reason people believe it. He can get great power in his kicks, but the accuracy has always been poor. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal, and I'd rather he be poor at that than any other gk aspect. Ideally, it'd be best if he had no weaknesses of course.
Agree that the Courtois love is generally media-fuelled. I've had Arsenal fans (who I know barely watch Arsenal, let alone Chelsea) reel off media sound bytes about him.

I don't agree that De Gea is 'easily' better, but Courtois hasn't done that much at Chelsea so far to deserve the level of praise he's received from some for this season. They're pretty much the same level as 'keepers, with different strengths and weaknesses.
I don't see the need to compare players of the exact same level. it's as if Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City fans all need to have the best player.

As for the bit on bold: So true. I never understood when people laughed at Hart's kicking. It's better than De Gea's, in my opinion. At least he's less likely to shank a clearance.
De Gea was praised for his ball-skills, and I also never understood it - as early as his first season here. Glad I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Courtois has looked pretty standard for Chelsea so far. He was brilliant last season, but De Gea is currently the better keeper, and I personally believe it'll stay that way.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Courtois has been superb. More or less flawless. At a club like Chelsea (and, in theory, United!) the keeper shouldn't be making loads of saves but he's a reassuring presence who gets every decision right, dominates his area, has made a few very good saves and zero errors (that I've seen anyway). That's as good as it gets for a keeper in team competing for the league title.

Dave's made the more eye-catching saves and has been by far the busier keeper but there's no way Courtois has looked in any way inferior to him. Just less busy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we refrain from bumping this thread pre-match please? Makes me feel very uneasy...

Man Utd 3:0 Hull City

Dion

De Gea has had a much more unstable defence in front of him and has been tested a hell of a lot more than Courtois, Dave is just shading it for the better goalkeeper right now.
And yet there were threads on here after 5 games that were complaining about De Gea's form. He's massively stepped up his game since Everton but Courtois has been absolutely magnificent all season. He dominates everything in the air, his distribution is solid and he's absurdly difficult to beat.

That's not a criticism of De Gea, it's just the level he's at now is the same level Courtois has been playing at for the last 18 months.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
And yet there were threads on here after 5 games that were complaining about De Gea's form. He's massively stepped up his game since Everton but Courtois has been absolutely magnificent all season. He dominates everything in the air, his distribution is solid and he's absurdly difficult to beat.

That's not a criticism of De Gea, it's just the level he's at now is the same level Courtois has been playing at for the last 18 months.
Prior to that 5 game run (which are blown out of proportion anyway) De Gea has been at Courtois' level for about 24 months. Thibaut's performances in 2013/ 2013 were inflated by playing behind a stellar back 4 of Luis, Miranda, Godin, Juanfran and an excellent DM in Gabi further up, all of which was orchestrated by the most tactically astute young manager around in Simeone.

Meanwhile De Gea was being shielded by a physically jaded Evra who mostly couldn't recover in time from his lung busting forays in attack, Nemanja who's no longer the beast he was pre-Basel and is currently sat on Internazionale's bench, Rio Ferdinand who has struggled for ample playing time at QPR and an oft-injured Rafael. A keeper can only do so much.

It's far easier for Courtois to be magnificent because similar to last season, he's been playing behind an experienced and settled back 4 guarded by a top DM, and his workload in largely predicated on set pieces and a few direct attempts on goal. De Gea in comparison, has to content with an injury ravaged, inexperienced back-line and comes up with save after save to keep United in matches. We could've been 2-0 or 3-0 down at the Emirates in the first half if not for him.

I'm not sure Courtois would be that solid behind a back five of Valencia, McNair, Smalling, Young and Blackett.

Dion

And Neuer is rubbish because he plays for Germany and Bayern right?

Courtois has been flawless for 18 months, there's a reason the defences he plays in are so strong. Like virtually every great defence they have an unbelievable goalkeeper behind them.

I see the same arguments crop up time and time again, opposition supporters underrate a better team's goalkeeper because he isn't busy constantly. People used to do it with VDS when our defence was impregnable, it's just completely backwards logic. Courtois has been amazing for 18 months, that's not because he's being protected by defenders, it's because he's absolutely magnificent. He's made 1v1 saves like De Gea vs Arsenal on at least 4 occasions this season and anything even remotely near him in the air is sweeped up with ease.

Natener

Stayed sharp through the whole match, good to see. I would have been caught bird-watching in a game like that.

Dylan94

Literally had f*ck all to do today which is great. Nice chilled day for Dave.

krazyrobus

A VDS esque performance, could have pulled out a deck chair and watched. I wish he gets more of these.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Courtois has been flawless for 18 months, there's a reason the defences he plays in are so strong. Like virtually every great defence they have an unbelievable goalkeeper behind them.

I see the same arguments crop up time and time again, opposition supporters underrate a better team's goalkeeper because he isn't busy constantly. People used to do it with VDS when our defence was impregnable, it's just completely backwards logic. Courtois has been flawless for 18 months, that's not because he's being protected by defenders, it's because he's absolutely magnificent. He's made 1v1 saves like De Gea vs Arsenal on at least 4 occasions this season and anything even remotely near him in the air is sweeped up with ease.
Huh ? Did I say Courtois is rubbish ? Way to speak in hyperbolic terms man. Neuer is an awesome keeper, probably the best since Buffon's regression but he is undoubtedly helped by the presence of some excellent players around him at the top of their game - Alaba, Lahm, Boateng, Benatia for Bayern and Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, Hoewedes, Schmelzer etc for Germany.

Courtois hasn't been flawless for 18 months, his errors are minimized in comparison to De Gea because of the iron curtain in front of him. Even the greatest keepers can concede a high volume of goals if the defense in front of them is flawed. Case in point - Edwin van der Sar at Fulham. But conversely even a good but not great keeper can be made to look excellent by the work-rate and safety provided by his defense and midfield. Case in point - Victor Valdes who set a Barcelona clean sheet record by not conceding for 896 minutes and conceded just 29 goals in the league that season.

It's not backward logic and I normally am pretty neutral when it comes to comparing opposition players. Edwin though an excellent keeper, was definitely helped by the presence of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra in front of him. Replace a couple of them with error prone defenders like Bramble or Boumsong and even Edwin would've been made to look queezy as a consequence. You can keep harping on his flawlessness but no player is ever flawless for a calender year, let alone 18 months. A few errors here and there are part and parcel of sports.

Like the stats show, De Gea has played 1 more game than Courtois in the league and conceded just 4 more goals. It's almost miraculous that he was slammed by certain sections for his poor form in 5 games, played behind a different consecutive turnstile defensive line in each of the 13 games so far including first team debutants McNair/ Blackett, a defender new to the league in Rojo and 2 wingers. In a goals conceded per game context that's just 1.15 goals conceded per game amid all the brouhaha about our defensive frailties. Today was the first time our defense and midfield looked remotely stable this season and result ? Clean sheet for David.

Courtois by comparison has played behind Ivanovic who started 12 consecutive games, Terry who started 12 consecutive games, Cahill who started 12 consecutive games, Azpelecueta who started 10 games and Matic who started 12 consecutive games. Yet he had conceded just 4 fewer games in 1 less games. So yeah, I struggle to see how Courtois is supposed to be better than David. Could you imagine what David would do in Mourinho's defensively stout teams behind experienced, consistent, healthy defenders like the ones Courtois has this season ? Or had last season in Atletico..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rado_N

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Huh ? Did I say Courtois is rubbish ? Way to speak in hyperbolic terms man. Neuer is an awesome keeper, probably the best since Buffon's regression but he is undoubtedly helped by the presence of some excellent players around him at the top of their game - Alaba, Lahm, Boateng, Benatia.

Courtois hasn't been flawless for 18 months, his errors are minimized in comparison to De Gea because of the iron curtain in front of him. Even the greatest keepers can concede a high volume of goals if the defense in front of them is flawed. Case in point - Edwin van der Sar at Fulham. But conversely even a good but not great keeper can be made to look excellent by the work-rate and safety provided by his defense and midfield. Case in point - Victor Valdes who set a Barcelona clean sheet record by not conceding for 896 minutes and conceded just 29 goals in the league that season.

It's not backward logic and I normally am pretty neutral when it comes to comparing opposition players. Edwin though an excellent keeper, was definitely helped by the presence of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra in front of him. Replace a couple of them with error prone defenders like Bramble or Boumsong and even Edwin would've been made to look queezy as a consequence. You can keep harping on his flawlessness but no player is ever flawless for a calender year, let alone 18 months. A few errors here and there are part and parcel of sports.

Like the stats show, De Gea has played 1 more game than Courtois in the league and concede just 4 more goals. It's almost miraculous that he slammed by certain sections for his poor form in 5 games, played behind a different consecutive defensive line in each of the 13 games so far including first team debutants McNair/ Blackett, a defender new to the league and 2 wingers. In a goals conceded per game context that's just 1.15 goals conceded per game amid all the brouhaha about our defensive frailties. Today was the first time our defense and midfield looked remotely stable this season and result ? Clean sheet for David.

Courtois by comparison has played behind Ivanovic who started 12 consecutive games, Terry who started 12 consecutive games, Cahill who started 12 consecutive games, Azpelecueta who started 12 games and Matic who started 12 consecutive games. Yet he had conceded just 4 fewer games in 1 less games. So yeah, I struggle to see how Courtois is supposed to be better than David. Could you imagine what David would do in Mourinho's defensively stout teams behind experienced, consistent, healthy defenders like the ones Courtois has this season ? Or had last season in Atletico..
Exactly, great post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I see the same arguments crop up time and time again, opposition supporters underrate a better team's goalkeeper because he isn't busy constantly. People used to do it with VDS when our defence was impregnable, it's just completely backwards logic. Courtois has been amazing for 18 months, that's not because he's being protected by defenders, it's because he's absolutely magnificent. He's made 1v1 saves like De Gea vs Arsenal on at least 4 occasions this season and anything even remotely near him in the air is sweeped up with ease.
He's flawless in your eyes because you don't watch him every week or focus on him as much so don't see the little mistakes like bad kicks or if he concedes a soft goal or something like that. He's a top keeper, but he's no better then De Gea. It's just people are always more nit picky about their own players but for opposition players just go with the general perception more often then not.

Dion

He's flawless in your eyes because you don't watch him every week or focus on him as much so don't see the little mistakes like bad kicks or if he concedes a soft goal or something like that. He's a top keeper, but he's no better then De Gea. It's just people are always more nit picky about their own players but for opposition players just go with the general perception more often then not.
Who on earth are you to say who I watch and don't watch every week? Thanks to the miracle of the internet its actually not that difficult to keep up with the games of Europe's top teams thanks. Atletico were well worth 2 hours of anyone's week last season fwiw.

bosnian_red

Who on earth are you to say who I watch and don't watch every week? Thanks to the miracle of the internet its actually not that difficult to keep up with the games of Europe's top teams thanks. Atletico were well worth 2 hours of anyone's week last season fwiw.
It's a pretty safe bet to say that United fans don't watch other teams as often as they watch United, no? Not saying you never do, I watched plenty of them myself but nowhere near as consistently. The point still stands because of that. United fans watch De Gea every week so know everything about him really, notice every little thing or mistake he makes. Watching other teams, people tend to just watch the game as a whole rather then focusing on one teams performances. Courtois probably had more mistakes then De Gea last season anyways, remember seeing a few goals where he fecked up on or let them squeeze through. He's a top keeper but he is definitely not flawless.

Dazzmondo

Huh ? Did I say Courtois is rubbish ? Way to speak in hyperbolic terms man. Neuer is an awesome keeper, probably the best since Buffon's regression but he is undoubtedly helped by the presence of some excellent players around him at the top of their game - Alaba, Lahm, Boateng, Benatia for Bayern and Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, Hoewedes, Schmelzer etc for Germany.

Like the stats show, De Gea has played 1 more game than Courtois in the league and conceded just 4 more goals. It's almost miraculous that he was slammed by certain sections for his poor form in 5 games, played behind a different consecutive turnstile defensive line in each of the 13 games so far including first team debutants McNair/ Blackett, a defender new to the league in Rojo and 2 wingers. In a goals conceded per game context that's just 1.15 goals conceded per game amid all the brouhaha about our defensive frailties. Today was the first time our defense and midfield looked remotely stable this season and result ? Clean sheet for David.

Courtois by comparison has played behind Ivanovic who started 12 consecutive games, Terry who started 12 consecutive games, Cahill who started 12 consecutive games, Azpelecueta who started 10 games and Matic who started 12 consecutive games. Yet he had conceded just 4 fewer games in 1 less games. So yeah, I struggle to see how Courtois is supposed to be better than David. Could you imagine what David would do in Mourinho's defensively stout teams behind experienced, consistent, healthy defenders like the ones Courtois has this season ? Or had last season in Atletico..
Great post.

Dion

It's a pretty safe bet to say that United fans don't watch other teams as often as they watch United, no? Not saying you never do, I watched plenty of them myself but nowhere near as consistently. The point still stands because of that. United fans watch De Gea every week so know everything about him really, notice every little thing or mistake he makes. Watching other teams, people tend to just watch the game as a whole rather then focusing on one teams performances. Courtois probably had more mistakes then De Gea last season anyways, remember seeing a few goals where he fecked up on or let them squeeze through. He's a top keeper but he is definitely not flawless.
In an age where every game broadcast on sky and canal plus is available in HD as a torrent within hours? Safe generalization perhaps, but certainly not on an individual level.

And if you think Courteous made more mistakes then De Gear last season then maybe you should get involved in despicable piracy more often.

Revan

Assumptionman
In an age where every game broadcast on sky and canal plus is available in HD as a torrent within hours? Safe generalization perhaps, but certainly not on an individual level.

And if you think Courteous made more mistakes then De Gear last season then maybe you should get involved in despicable piracy more often.
I doubt that many (if any) United fan have watched Courtuis 50 times last season. Which I think it was b_r point. Maybe, you have (though it would be weird) but I doubt we'll find any other.

Courtuis made a few mistakes last season. As did De Gea. Or Neuer.

He isn't flawless, no keeper is. He also has the benefit of having very good defenses, unlike De Gea. I doubt that there is much between these two. In fact, in pure goalkeeping they are in the same level as Neuer - if not better - but the German has that ability of being also Bayern's best central defender, which make him the best GK on the world.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

:lol::lol: Now you've done it mate.

Note : Including all competitions, De Gea made just 1 error leading to goal in the entirety of 2013/ 2014 (vs Sunderland in the league cup).

bosnian_red

What @Revan and @Invictus said pretty much. Can you honestly tell me you watched every single Atletico game last season?

And how is this for "flawless"..

Both last season, as you would know if you watched all their games.

Edit: Just to put one more..

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What @Revan and @Invictus said pretty much. Can you honestly tell me you watched every single Atletico game last season?

And how is this for "flawless"..

Both last season, as you would know if you watched all their games.
Cheers for linking the evidence mate. So much for the Courteous being flawless for 18 months premise.

Dion

No, but then I can't honestly say I watched all of Man Utd's games either, I watched in excess of 30 of Real, Barca and Atleti's games last season. I think you're not going to gain much traction with this line of enquiry. Unless you have an eidetic memory sample size more than dwarfs compleness.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Cheers for linking the evidence mate. So much for the Courteous being flawless for 18 months premise.
Was going to mention this Alderweireld own goal too, if we are talking about his mistakes here, absolutely shocking from Courtois here. He certainly made more mistakes in the last few years. Still, a top, top keeper.

bosnian_red

No, but then I can't honestly say I watched all of Man Utd's games either, I watched in excess of 30 of Real, Barca and Atleti's games last season. I think you're not going to gain much traction with this line of enquiry. Unless you have an eidetic memory sample size more than dwarfs compleness.
Fair enough, i watched them all plenty of times too but nowhere near United, and when you watch other teams, most of the time you tend to watch the game as a whole, rather then focus on one specific team. You don't notice the little things as much.

Anyways, my point was that you said he has been flawless for the past 18 months and I need to watch football more if I think De Gea made less mistakes then Courtois last season, when that's actually just the truth (and I watch loads of football outside of the premier league, for what its worth).

Raul Madrid

Courtois has shown for Atletico that he can both keep his team in matches by making save after save to them win them games they do not deserve too (the Copa final vs Madrid in 2013 is a great example of that). But what he did for Atletico last season required something different and even more difficult. Atletico won some games by a big margin, but a lot of them were by a single goal or two. Because of their defensive excellence last season which was based on hard work, constant closing down and pressing, dogged displays and resilient attitude, they still conceded some chances especially late on in games when they were leading by a single goal and Courtois showed excellent concentration and alertness to make big saves at such vital moments after not being tested or given much to do all game. I am yet to see that type of concentration and ability to make saves at vital moments after having little to do all game from DDG on a consistent basis like I have seen from Courtois.

It is true that Uniteds defence is not as good as Atletico's or Chesea's but in a way that has helped DDG as it has given him plenty to do and has given him plenty of time to show off his excellent shot stopping and his ability to make brilliant save after save and it allows him to stay alert and keep his concentration levels up. He is benefitting from being behind a poor backline just like Casillas used to back in the day as he got to make plenty of saves and was worked all game. You say you struggle to see how Courtois is better than DDG and ask "Could you imagine what David would do in Mourinho's defensively stout teams behind experienced, consistent, healthy defenders like the ones Courtois has this season ?". We cannot really answer that yet but there have been plenty of keepers that have thrived when they were behind a poor defence and have struggled when behind a solid backline and had to maintain concentration for the 90 without being tested much. Courtois has shown that he can excel in both situations while DDG has not yet. It is pretty close and they are both world class goalkeepers but Courtois is still ahead for me and both are behind Neuer.