View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RuudTom83

Awful today...any team looking for a new keeper would be wise to look else where.

NK86

2 mistakes in 2 games. Just got confused it seems. Hope Madrid are watching. They should go for a better keeper than our Dave.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
either way he didn't get lobbed from the halfway line.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was a bit average (not poor, but not particularly good) for the first month or so of the season, but he's been amazing since then. Just a couple of signs he may have come off the boil a little in his last two or three games though, so hopefully that doesn't cost us.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sturridge's goal was definitely his fault. Mind you I heard he had a poor game against Holland too.
It was a deflection. All keepers (just look at VDS) look like fools when the ball gets deflected near him. It wasn't a mistake at all.

The game Spain-Holland:

Not his fault that Spain's defenders are donkeys.

SirAF

Ageist
Mistake for their goal today, but he's allowed one by now! Also, didn't cost us.

Real: Look, he's shite. You should stay well clear.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't see the Spain game, but the Sturridge goal is hard to blame on anyone, barring perhaps Carrick, who gave the ball away which led to the goal. It was deflected, and from such close range as well. Our expectations of De Gea are probably a little inflated considering some of the impossible saves he has made in the last few years, but deflections make goalkeepers look daft all the time, against their control. Goalkeepers read the striker from the way he looks at the ball, the way he opens his foot up to strike the ball, and you set yourself based on that, especially if the striker is only 8 yards out. A deflection completely ruins that. Harsh to blame De Gea for it.

Today was definitely his fault though. Perhaps lack of concentration, or perhaps expected Benteke to go high and belt it towards the top corner so he's gone over the ball. Poor either way.

HabeasC

He has set such a high bar for himself that when he makes some debatable 'mistakes' some are calling him out for it. We've seen over the past few weeks that Courtois has made just as many mistakes, if not more. Similarly, Neuer is also prone to the odd gaff. It happens.

De Gea is no less world class than he was earlier in the season.

hbgreg

He has set such a high bar for himself that when he makes some debatable 'mistakes' some are calling him out for it. We've seen over the past few weeks that Courtois has made just as many mistakes, if not more. Similarly, Neuer is also prone to the odd gaff. It happens.

De Gea is no less world class than he was earlier in the season.
No one should be immune to criticism when they make clear mistakes even if they are world class.

ZDwyr

Definitely his mistake. That's two games in a row now where he has made an error (yes I know, deflection for the Sturridge one but he could have done better). It's not as bad because we are winning matches comfortably, but with City and Chelsea coming up it would be good to see him at his best again.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
A "Not really a mistake but he should have saved Sturridge's shot", Casillas clean-sheet against Ukraine, De Gea has conceded two goals against the Netherlands and his mistake today is hopefully enough that Perez thinks not anymore about to sign him.

In his last 3 games against Tottenham, Liverpool and Villa he has faced a a total of 16 shots, with only 4 being on target. For contrast, in the reverse fixtures around Christmas he faced 38 shots and 17 required saves.

Our general improvement has seen him with less to do and i think his concentration is probably suffering. Hopefully enough for Madrid to think theyre better off without him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
In his last 3 games against Tottenham, Liverpool and Villa he has faced a a total of 16 shots, with only 4 being on target. For contrast, in the reverse fixtures around Christmas he faced 38 shots and 17 required saves.

Our general improvement has seen him with less to do and i think his concentration is probably suffering. Hopefully enough for Madrid to think theyre better off without him.
But that's somewhat surprising. Up until now, he's been a keeper that was able to maintain very high concentration levels, even in a game where he wouldn't be called into action til the 85th minute. That was another impressive trait of his.

Don't think the Liverpool one was a mistake at all, given how close it was and the speed on it, but yesterday was really bad. If that's his mistake of the season, then I'll take it.

Litch

Not a player in Prem that doesn't make mistakes every game, and all the high profile goal keepers have made mistakes over the last few weeks. I think it's a long season and he probably could have done with a break but didn't get one. Still best keeper in the world and hopefully will still be here next season. I get the feeling that he won't.

Redo91

Can't see how the goal against Liverpool can be called an error. It took a deflection which obviously threw him off. Maybe he could have done better but it certainly wasn't a mistake.

Feedingseagulls

I think he was caught in two minds there - whether to use his hand or feet. Hence the mistake and him completely missing the ball.
Very much how I saw it. Naturally used to use his feet a lot. Generally looks to have been working on catching/retaining rather than parrying away. On this occasion the change from feet to hands was too great and that slight change from his old instinct made him less effective.
In LVG's terms he has made it to unconscious-correct for all hand-directed balls. Still maybe on the route from conscious-correct in that situation.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Was due a Blunder. It was also an awkward shot and didnt cost us. Not as good as VDS when it comes to kicking though.

Still the best around.

Ixion

I saw him shielding his eyes from the sun a few times in that second half so that could have contributed to the goal, he should have saved it though. The Sterling one was deflected but he gave up too much space at the nearpost regardless. They haven't cost us though so it doesn't matter, he could make a mistake in all our remaining games and still be the player of the year by a mile.

OneUnited24

Just curious but given that hes a Atletico fan (and ex-player) do you think a move to Real would interest him? Also doesnt his girlfriend live in Barcelona?

XdanielredX

EDIT: Jesus christ I don't know how to reduce the size of the text, can a mod fix for me?

Just thought I would remind every one of this gem:

New boy David De Gea will keep making mistakes

IF anyone has ordered a replica Manchester United goalkeeper’s shirt with David De Gea ’s name on the back, I’d advise ringing up and cancelling it.

By MICK DENNIS

If the shirt was going to have David De Gea's full name on, the shop staff probably haven’t finished sticking the letters on yet anyway.

He’s called David de Gea Quintana. But don’t bother learning all those names. There will be another chap along soon. There has to be.

Sir Alex Ferguson tried 10 goalkeepers between the time Peter Schmeichel left Manchester United in 1999 and Edvin van der Sar’s arrival in 2005.

Now, with Van der Sar retired, it seems inevitable another long search for a reliable replacement will take place.

De Gea, 20, cost more than £18million from Atletico Madrid and was obviously supposed to be van der Sar’s successor, but the young Spaniard’s two appearances so far have been calamitous.

In the Community Shield at Wembley he was culpable for one Manchester City goal and not without blame for the other. Fergie promised: “He won’t do that sort of thing again.”

But he did. Yesterday. Now Fergie is reminding us all that Schmeichel had a dodgy start to his United career, but privately he must be worried silly about De Gea.

The kid’s lack of authority in the six-yard box is even less convincing than his beard and every watching Premier League manager will have noted how easily he was put under pressure.

All game he flapped gormlessly at balls he should have caught. And he had already been nudged away from the ball at a corner far too easily by West Brom’s Jonas Olsson and had also over-dramatised a save from Paul Scharner when he produced his miss of the day.

That was after 37 minutes when he made a complete mess of what should have been the routine matter of dealing with Shane Long’s ordinary shot from the left.

There is an old football expression about slow goalkeepers going down in instalments. De Gea went down in one movement, but it was funereally slow and the ball scooted under his arms as he let down United by letting himself down on to the pitch so leadenly.

At the other end, Ben Foster knew exactly how De Gea felt. Once United’s great young goalkeeping hope, Foster thrived on a variety of loans, but had only 12 games at United before being discarded permanently. Now 28, he has downgraded his ambitions so much he announced in May he no longer wishes to be considered for England.

His season-long loan at Albion from relegated Birmingham will surely not pitch him against anyone better than Wayne Rooney, who was imperious yesterday.

So, assuming the injury suffered by Rio Ferdinand does not prevent England qualifying for Euro 2012, we face another 10 months of hoping Rooney can maintain his form and fitness until his country needs him in a major tournament.

Much of Rooney’s ability resides in his expensively re-thatched bonce. He computes probabilities and possibilities so much more rapidly than those around him. De Gea, meanwhile, looks as if his nerves have been shredded by his blunders.

Listar

If De Gea manage to again work miracles in keeping out both city and Chelsea then he has to be EPL player of the year. I don't think anyone in the league has put on that many Godlike performance this season, where close contenders of Sanchez and Costa have been injury-blighted and some dip in form.

The clip of De Gea saves here shows why, not even debatable:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...id-De-Gea-best-saves-from-2014-15-season.aspx

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His ball control is quite outrageous for a GK.