Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's honestly the oddest thing how defensive people get about de Gea. He's had a shocker for 2 goals this tournament really and people will rightfully criticise him. He's not been awful but I'd hardly say he's been great. The 2 mistakes were pretty simple saves and he should be criticised. It's funny how people use the "quick to get on the back" shite but if Neuer or Hart made them mistakes they'd be laughed at for ages..people in glass houses and all that.
But it's when people like you say 'shocker' that I get defensive, bales free kick with hart is a howler, de geas two errors are just that, mistakes but they are in now way howlers. I guess that's credit to De Gea that his standards are that high then any small mistake is jumped upon as if it's huge.

Last edited:

Vanrouge

The Spanish defence were to blame for that Italian goal. They weren't even set up. Piqué was literally not looking at the free kick taker when he took it. Sure, De Gea made a tiny error by not palming it away, but they were asleep. Otherwise, he's kept them in it, with some excellent saves from Pelle and Giaccherini.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
This again. He has already rejected them.
are you 100% sure about that? im not tbh, not after that last day fiasco, pretty sure nobody outside 2 clubs knows what the feck happened there.
And even if you are right and i hope you are, it means little as situations in football change quickly.

Oggmonster

But it's when people like you say 'shocker' that I get defensive, bales free kick with bale is a howler, de geas two errors are just that, mistakes but they are in now way howlers. I guess that's credit to De Gea that his standards are that high then any small mistake is jumped upon as if it's huge.
Seriously? Can you give us a breakdown of the difference between "mistake" "howler" "error" etc? It's just made up things to make out de Gea is never at fault. I don't get the harm in people saying he fecked up or isn't having the best tournament (a keeper making 2 mistakes in 4 games isn't exactly a great tournament people are making out.) I've not seen anyone say he's shit or anything like that just he should of done better for a goal and they don't think he's playing great. Is that really that much of a terrible comment?

Footballers make mistakes and that's all people said. It's no different to Hart making a mistake vs. Wales but for some reaosn people get really defensive about it....well I say some reason it's probably cos most of us are United fans and he's the current golden child who can do no wrong apparently. People exonerating him of all blame are far more over the top than those saying he isn't having a good game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Seriously? Can you give us a breakdown of the difference between "mistake" "howler" "error" etc? It's just made up things to make out de Gea is never at fault. I don't get the harm in people saying he fecked up or isn't having the best tournament (a keeper making 2 mistakes in 4 games isn't exactly a great tournament people are making out.) I've not seen anyone say he's shit or anything like that just he should of done better for a goal and they don't think he's playing great. Is that really that much of a terrible comment?

Footballers make mistakes and that's all people said. It's no different to Hart making a mistake vs. Wales but for some reaosn people get really defensive about it....well I say some reason it's probably cos most of us are United fans and he's the current golden child who can do no wrong apparently. People exonerating him of all blame are far more over the top than those saying he isn't having a good game.
If I have to explain that there's different levels of mistakes then I'm speaking to the wrong person...

Traub

I still think he looks very nervous for Spain. When playing for us, he seems so calm - as if it's his team.

Regarding the goal, I consider it a mistake. Overall in this game, he has saved enough to be absolved. Regardless, Spain aren't good enough this game.

TheSpaceman

So good on 1 v 1's. Always a brief moment of 'oh shit' when they break through until I remember De Gea is back there

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Brilliant keeper, how rubbish are Pique and Ramos at times though? My God :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's saved their asses thrice (header, Giacherrini, 1v1) but the goal is partially his fault too.

Oggmonster

If I have to explain that there's different levels of mistakes then I'm speaking to the wrong person...
Which translates to "I was speaking absolute shite and both are mistakes"

Again, people suggesting you wouldn't swap him etc...no one said we would!!! Just he made a mistake. no one has answered why everyone gets so defensive about it yet?

I'm not even doubting he's made a few good saves but he made a big mistake as well.

You can tell people are scraping the barrel when they're find old Neuer mistakes as well. It's Liverpool esque this defensiveness of de Gea, it happens any time he makes a mistake it's honestly a bit cringing.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The goal was definitely his fault

And he made that other error a few mins ago that very led to another

But he has made some good stops (one great)

Mixed bag

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you want to be technical, the fault is on Ramos for brainlessly lunging in on Giaccherini who was going absolutely nowhere.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Spain's best player by a distance.

Two world class saves on the line, one save 1x1 and he actually saved the free kick. In a best case scenario he should have tipped the ball to the right but it wasn't by any means a bad save. How about some help from his defenders to start with?

But...maybe some of you prefer Mignolet

Haddock

He must be the most scrutinised keeper in Europe. His misfortune to be stuck in an era playing for two teams that were once great. Honestly , some of you expect him to save damn near everything. At the end of the day he's not God.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He plays at such a high level that any error no matter how small is analyzed to deat because of its rarity.
If another keeper was in goal, Spain would be looking at a demolition.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Could have done better for the first goal today, and the one in the group stage. Fluffed a few crosses as well.

Still save Spain's blushes. You Gotta take the pros and the cons when we talk about our own. No need for people to get so defensive. Dave played below the high bar he set himself - learn from it and he'll grow stronger. Simples.

ReDDHDevilS

Was one of (if not) the best player on the pitch. If it wasn't for him, Spain would surely have been humiliated taday. Unfortunately will get criticized heavily for that one mistake which he definitely should have done better though.

Halftrack

Seriously? Can you give us a breakdown of the difference between "mistake" "howler" "error" etc?
Which translates to "I was speaking absolute shite and both are mistakes"
Of course you can "grade" mistakes. De Gea's today was a fairly minor one, akin to a bad touch. He spilled the ball, it lead to a goal. He should have done better, but just like with bad touches, it happens.

Hart's was a howler of massive proportions. He was dumb enough to set up a wall to defend a free-kick at 40 yards, effectively blocking his view of the ball and making his own job much harder. Extremely poor decision making, and way worse than spilling the ball trying to save a shot at goal.

That said, De Gea made a mistake and it lead to a goal. Criticizing him for making that mistake is fair.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Can't blame him, today Spanish defense was even shittier than the one in United.

Perhaps he should go out and score goals, too ?

Naveen V

DDG's biggest mistake was that he was supposed to be start the tiki taka passing from the back. Instead he constantly kicked the ball long leading to be verbally chastised by Iniesta in the first half. This was one of the reasons why Spain could not get their passing game going.

As for the goal, the way the wall was placed to cover half the goal is a new tactic being used by defensive and goalkeeping coaches to ensure that GKs have their line of sight clear and to minimise deflected goals. However when you give the free kick taker half a goal to aim at chances of him hitting the target are a100% and if he swerves the ball within the 6 yard box inward towards then the goalkeeper then the goalkeeper makes a save with the body and the ball ricochets into the middle of the penalty box. A more conventional placement of the wall would have stopped the goal. DDG made the save with his forearms and not with his fist which would have enabled him to push the ball towards the sidelines.

Reactions: Invictus

VanHaal'sRedArmy

DDG's biggest mistake was that he was supposed to be start the tiki taka passing from the back. Instead he constantly kicked the ball long leading to be verbally chastised by Iniesta in the first half. This was one of the reasons why Spain could not get their passing game going.
That was part of Conte's plan. Prevent De Gea from starting to build the Spanish attack from the back and force him to hit long balls where the Italians had the aerial advantage.

El Zoido

It's unbelievable that there was even a debate over who was better. De Gea was better from day one.

Naveen V

That was part of Conte's plan. Prevent De Gea from starting to build the Spanish attack from the back and force him to hit long balls where the Italians had the aerial advantage.
But Ramos, Pique and especially Alaba were open for passes many times. But DDG kept ignoring them and they kept ignoring him.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

But Ramos, Pique and especially Alaba were open for passes many times. But DDG kept ignoring them and they kept ignoring him.
Yes, but when De Gea played to ball to them, the Italians would pressure the Spanish defenders to pass back toward goal resulting in the long ball.

U99ted

It's honestly the oddest thing how defensive people get about de Gea. He's had a shocker for 2 goals this tournament really and people will rightfully criticise him. He's not been awful but I'd hardly say he's been great. The 2 mistakes were pretty simple saves and he should be criticised. It's funny how people use the "quick to get on the back" shite but if Neuer or Hart made them mistakes they'd be laughed at for ages..people in glass houses and all that.
Manchester United fans defend a Manchester United player. They don't defend a Manchester City player, nor a Bayern Munich one. Not that odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.