Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Zoido

It was impressive he even got nears Benteke's goal. Most goalkeepers would have been rooted to the spot. It's that he got a hand near it that some people think should have stopped it but you can't take anything away from the strike.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think the comments would be so positive if Romero put in that performance.
Aside from the uncharacteristic distribution, which we could out down to him not playing a lot of football lately, what exactly was wrong with his performance?

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Aside from the uncharacteristic distribution, which we could out down to him not playing a lot of football lately, what exactly was wrong with his performance?
I didn't mean that to sound like I thought it was a poor performance, it was definitely a solid performance for someone who hasn't played much recently. But he made a huge error that would have cost us a goal if not for Smalling, Romero would have been crucified for that while it's just getting glossed over for De Gea.

ZDwyr

Apart from that one error he was good. I thought his save from Ings was impressive, would not have surprised me if Romero had conceded that.

Sam

Romero would probably have conceded at least two goals off of the saves DDG made today. And they weren't even DDG 'specials'.

Just shows you how good he is.

chriswt

Romero would probably have conceded at least two goals off of the saves DDG made today. And they weren't even DDG 'specials'.

Just shows you how good he is.
Exactly, they are leagues apart and that's not hyperbolic in the least.

suheilsworld

Great game for someone who has not played all season barring a game for Spain. Plus we have to remember he is coming back from an injury from last season. Great game I believe and we can only see him get better this season. :devil::devil:

Real to come sniffing again come end of season :nervous::nervous:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The saves from Ings and Clyne were both excellent, we've just become accustomed to seeing that kind of thing from him.

Bugzy

The Ings one was difficult save to pull off, because we didn't know where the ball would end up because of the bounce.

For De Gea they were basic saves though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Let's wait for a reliable outlet, Sportsmole and The Sun are hardly gospel. Sportsmole are actually citing The Sun.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I can't quite figure out why we'd agree to that buyout clause tbh. Seriously hope it is bullshit, which it does sound like, unless there is a lot more to this whole thing than we know about. That figure really is at the bottom end of any valuation of him.

deleon

Apparently played a part in Blind's off-the-line clearance as well:

"The 25-year-old also made a crucial clearance off the line to deny Liverpool with the score at 1-0 and he credited returning goalkeeper David De Gea for his role in the second half incident: 'It was an important moment,' Daley told us. 'Just before the corner David told me something and that I needed to be there, and I was there so it was good. We laughed about it afterwards.'"

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...Blind-reflects-on-goal-against-Liverpool.aspx

izzydiggler

I can't quite figure out why we'd agree to that buyout clause tbh. Seriously hope it is bullshit, which it does sound like, unless there is a lot more to this whole thing than we know about. That figure really is at the bottom end of any valuation of him.
If he doesn't sign then he goes for nothing...the fact that he'd cost Madrid £30m now makes it a great contract for us. I have no doubt that he'll be off and there probably is a clause at a value that Madrid have told Mendes they'll pay, so Madrid essentially take a hit because they messed up the deal. We get a year to agree a deal for a replacement, De Gea gets a pay rise, makes the Euros possibly as a starter and Madrid get a world class Keeper...everyone wins to a degree.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If he doesn't sign then he goes for nothing...the fact that he'd cost Madrid £30m now makes it a great contract for us. I have no doubt that he'll be off and there probably is a clause at a value that Madrid have told Mendes they'll pay, so Madrid essentially take a hit because they messed up the deal. We get a year to agree a deal for a replacement, De Gea gets a pay rise, makes the Euros possibly as a starter and Madrid get a world class Keeper...everyone wins to a degree.
I get all that and yesterday reminded us of what we've been missing (if ever we needed it). Would just be happier if any buyout clause was more c£50m and I had a faint and possibly naive hope that he was pissed at Real and might actually stay here beyond this season. We live in hope.

izzydiggler

I get all that and yesterday reminded us of what we've been missing (if ever we needed it). Would just be happier if any buyout clause was more c£50m and I had a faint and possibly naive hope that he was pissed at Real and might actually stay here beyond this season. We live in hope.
I wish I could believe it...in my mind he's already gone.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He had that one brain fart that almost resulted in a goal but other than that he was really excellent. That save from Ings' shot was something that Romero would have probably let in.

arthurka

Why not? An extra £100k or so a week to ensure you get £30m, rather than nothing at the end of year...he'd be stupid to turn it down.
Ok why not. But until I something that is not the Sun report it I might believe it..

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I wonder if he could have. Does Romero have the jungle panther agility to block that Ings shot?

I think he would have saved the Ings one, I think that's a pretty standard save even with the bounce. The second save there is better than I remembered though, Romero might not have saved that tbf. Although I think he probably would have, his shot stopping is one of his strong points.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I think he would have saved the Ings one, I think that's a pretty standard save even with the bounce. The second save there is better than I remembered though, Romero might not have saved that tbf. Although I think he probably would have, his shot stopping is one of his strong points.
You may be right, Romero probably could keep out some of the tough ones, but then he seems to let in some very routine balls as well. That's what worries me the most about him, that bit of carelessness. De Gea gives us solidity.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't get why it is universally accepted that he will leave at the end of season.

Real Madrid will be very pissed off if he signed a deal still intending to leave.

fatboy

The release clause is pure speculation. This was a contract extension, very few external parties involves, so even less chance of a news "leak". It's pure speculation from pundits and the media. They probably can't accept that United did not come out as losers in our dealing with Madrid - doesn't make good reading for ABUs out there. Anyway, even if there is a buy-out clause, I can't imagine it being 5mil less than what we had originally demanded from Madrid this summer.

Fellainis Nutmeg

I don't get why it is universally accepted that he will leave at the end of season.
Real Madrid will be very pissed off if he signed a deal still intending to leave.
I posted this in newbie section, might as well post it here too:

I am not saying he won't go to Madrid, but those who say it's a dead cert should also consider the fact that United have bumped his wages to £200K/week.

Madrid do not pay that kind of wages to a goalkeeper/defender (How much is Ramos on now?) , they would happily pay it to a goal scorer/Galactico but not a goalkeeper. If they do, he would become their 3rd best-paid player behind Bale and Ronaldo. Would he be happy to take pay cut to join Madrid?

Also, If their was any truth behind a release clause (30m), the Spanish Media would be all over it. United might have a gentleman's agreement with De Gea & Mendes about letting him go for a specific amount, but if their was a release clause of 30m in his contract cnuts like Duncan Castles (who has close ties with Mendes) would be taking a lot of mileage out of this story already. Not to mention, Marca and Spanish journos like Gulleam Ballbag.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I posted this in newbie section, might as well post it here too:

I am not saying he won't go to Madrid, but those who say it's a dead cert should also consider the fact that United have bumped his wages to £200K/week.
Madrid do not pay that kind of wages to a goalkeeper/defender, they would happily pay it to a goal scorer/Galactico but not a goalkeeper. If they do, he would become their 3rd best-paid player behind Bale and Ronaldo. Would he be happy to take pay cut to join Madrid?

Also, If their was any truth behind a release clause (30m), the Spanish Media would be all over it. United might have a gentleman's agreement with De Gea & Mendes about letting him go for a specific amount, but if their was a release clause of 30m in his contract cnuts like Duncan Castles (who has close ties with Mendes) would be taking a lot of mileage out of this story already. Not to mention, Marca and Spanish journos like Gulleam Ballbag.
How is it that an average, bitter and bald journalist have close ties to one of the most powerful men in football? I'm not disputing his connection with Mendes, just bloody curious about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.