Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

his passing is as good as Bravo. with the added advantage that he can save shots too

izec

He was amazing with his feet when we bought him from Atletico to be fair.
He was good, but he reached another level in the last 2 years. Keeping the ball and playing from the back did help i think. I know some disagree and say he was good from the beginning, but i just think his passing is much more assured and quality than previously

criticalanalysis

There's not much to say.

He's just doing the same thing he's been doing for the last 3 seasons.

Fecking incredible.

Fracture90

Personally i think he's the best GK in the world, Neuer and Navas don't have nearly as much of a job to do as he does.

Irrational.

His kicking today was probably the best thing about our play today. Those driven accurate passes. :drool:

They do make me nervous though, as one miscontrol and Liverpool could've been in.

Rossa

His distribution today was brilliant, and I've criticized him for that in the past. That really was something different and against a team that pressed high up the pitch as well.

One thing though, he's not really good at penalties is he? He needs to take a chance and go to one side, because if he did, he would save shots like the ones today; sure it was hard, but it was at perfect elevation and not placed that far to the side either. It looks to me like he tries to wait out the shooter and then goes. That hardly ever works unless the shots are 100% pathetic.

Sylar

Good distribution.
He made the saves he made look so easy, that it will hardly be mentioned elsewhere.
His control of his area is night and day vs when he first arrived.

ColvaleGoa

Wonder what's going on with supposed Real Madrid rumors now. Think the club has had an agreement saying this would be his last contract and he can go after it is finished? I would rather Real go for Courtois!

OzKangarooney

Wonder what's going on with supposed Real Madrid rumors now. Think the club has had an agreement saying this would be his last contract and he can go after it is finished? I would rather Real go for Courtois!
Hopefully with Jose coming in and turning the team around he will have a change of heart

Nero

If the Madrid move was going to happen, surely it would have gone down this past summer?

Either Madrid decided they were no longer interested, or De Gea told them he wasn't.

Redo91

His distribution today was brilliant, and I've criticized him for that in the past. That really was something different and against a team that pressed high up the pitch as well.

One thing though, he's not really good at penalties is he? He needs to take a chance and go to one side, because if he did, he would save shots like the ones today; sure it was hard, but it was at perfect elevation and not placed that far to the side either. It looks to me like he tries to wait out the shooter and then goes. That hardly ever works unless the shots are 100% pathetic.
He did guess though. If you watch the penalty again he is moving to that side before Milner has even hit it.

My dad made the same point about the height of the shot which I think is irrelevant given the power the penalty was hit with. By the time he got his hand to where the ball was it was already passed him so what does the height of the ball got to do with anything? Given the power and the fairly decent placement of the shot there's no way he was going to save it.

As it turns out I think he is quiet good at saving penalties. He's saved them from both Baines and RVP which very few keepers manage to do. He also saved one last season against CSKA if I remember correctly. The odds are obviously stacked against a keeper so it's not something he should be expected to do regularly.

unimaginative_name

He seems back to his level best. He was pretty ordinary at the start of the season and I thought he was missing Frans Hoek. I hope he doesn't miss Hoek, DDG improved a lot under him. We should have kept Frans Hoek.

Rossa

Kicking was excellent on Sunday and @Rossa saying he should have saved the penalty?! :lol: That's the problem when you set such high standards I suppose. Diving earlier is nonsense as clever takers would spot the movement and go the other side.
It's by no means a stick to beat DDG with, but it wasn't an impossible penalty to save and the height is important here. If it touches the bar it is impossible to save, and if it stays to the ground it is also much harder. It was a hard shot, but it wasn't close to the upright either. Most goalies choose one side and go earlier, or at least at the same moment the shot is taken. DDG often seems to wait out the shooter, which is a good idea if it is a loose shot or poorly placed. Most strikers also choose a side and often miss the shot if they see the goalie go early.

Rossa

He did guess though. If you watch the penalty again he is moving to that side before Milner has even hit it.

My dad made the same point about the height of the shot which I think is irrelevant given the power the penalty was hit with. By the time he got his hand to where the ball was it was already passed him so what does the height of the ball got to do with anything? Given the power and the fairly decent placement of the shot there's no way he was going to save it.

As it turns out I think he is quiet good at saving penalties. He's saved them from both Baines and RVP which very few keepers manage to do. He also saved one last season against CSKA if I remember correctly. The odds are obviously stacked against a keeper so it's not something he should be expected to do regularly.
As I stated above, it's never a stick to beat a goalie with, but it is worth discussing, I think. He is world class goalie, but he isn't as good as Neuer, for instance, at saving penalties. Milner's penalty is hard, but it is at a perfect height to save it (I used to be a goalie) where the distance travel at that height is the least; if it stays at the ground or travels closer to the bar, then your arms have to reach further and subsequently it takes longer to reach. The shot wasn't placed close to the upright either, so if he went a little sooner, he could have saved it. From experience, you don't save many penalties by waiting out the opponent - but then again, I was always rubbish at saving penalties.

He is no better than average at saving penalties, and I think that is one aspect of his game he can perhaps improve on. I don't think Schmeichel was great at it either, btw. VDS was pretty good, wasn't he?

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think something he can, and should improve is probably is positioning outside is 5 yards box. I always found him slow to decide whether to go out of his zone and cover his central defenders or staying. Sometimes he has the little step forward and then backward that can be misjudged.

It remind me the Pedro goal we conceded at Chelsea. Smalling was stupid to let the ball behind him and so does De Gea to go out so far from his box.

To be honest, I really think that he doesn't really trust his defenders and he dictate everything in his 5 yards box but not enough outside.

I know that I'm rude and tough, and maybe wrong but it's a point he should improve to me.

Ole90+3

His distribution seems to have come on leaps and bounds. I think Liverpool would have beat us if not for De Gea's coolness on the pass and superb distribution on Sunday. He was extremely important to us getting anything out of that game.

Smudge

His distribution seems to have come on leaps and bounds. I think Liverpool would have beat us if not for De Gea's coolness on the pass and superb distribution on Sunday. He was extremely important to us getting anything out of that game.
Yeh i noticed his kicking was much better than recent times as i have felt that his distribution had gone down a level but couldnt fault him against Liverpool

prath92

Even with the ball in his feet, he is tiers above bravo imo. Bravo I haven't seen him pass more than 20 yards at city

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
De Gea is class, best distribution in the league for me as well. Not mentioned here.

Stadjer

As I stated above, it's never a stick to beat a goalie with, but it is worth discussing, I think. He is world class goalie, but he isn't as good as Neuer, for instance, at saving penalties. Milner's penalty is hard, but it is at a perfect height to save it (I used to be a goalie) where the distance travel at that height is the least; if it stays at the ground or travels closer to the bar, then your arms have to reach further and subsequently it takes longer to reach. The shot wasn't placed close to the upright either, so if he went a little sooner, he could have saved it. From experience, you don't save many penalties by waiting out the opponent - but then again, I was always rubbish at saving penalties.

He is no better than average at saving penalties, and I think that is one aspect of his game he can perhaps improve on. I don't think Schmeichel was great at it either, btw. VDS was pretty good, wasn't he?
Actually VDS was always criticised for his penalty stopping during his carreer. He never seem to stop one for our national team but in the latter stages of his carreer he actually managed to stop a few and ofcourse stopping Anelka his penalty was massive save. I dont think VDS was a penalty killer though.

Also i dont 'blame' DDG for not stopping Milner his penalty. Milner is good at taking them and it was very very hard to stop it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bravo's stat just can't be true.
I've watched City a few times and I honestly can't remember any good saves he's made. Even routine catches he turns into stupid punches etc.

He's obviously a confident goalie with his feet but nowhere near good enough to overpower his weakness.
Actually VDS was always criticised for his penalty stopping during his carreer. He never seem to stop one for our national team but in the latter stages of his carreer he actually managed to stop a few and ofcourse stopping Anelka his penalty was massive save. I dont think VDS was a penalty killer though.

Also i dont 'blame' DDG for not stopping Milner his penalty. Milner is good at taking them and it was very very hard to stop it.
Yep, Milner also changes position (I think 2 were left, 2 were right and 1 down the middle) so a goalie cannot take a educated early jump. If you hit it hard and in the corner no goalie can react that fast.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The embargoed presser one of the Journos said Romero said is staying put as DDG is off next season.
Hopefully more media BS.
Where would DDG be going? There's no-one who needs him right now in terms of the big clubs, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.