Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

When it's that heavily deflected from 5 yards away he's fecked. Absolutely no chance.
Maybe its just a reflection of the high standards we all set for Dave, but I really don't think it took that much of a deflection, and was that close to him, that he shouldn't have been able to adjust.

I think he'll be disappointed he's let that in. Especially as he got something on it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe its just a reflection of the high standards we all set for Dave, but I really don't think it took that much of a deflection, and was that close to him, that he shouldn't have been able to adjust.

I think he'll be disappointed he's let that in. Especially as he got something on it.
I used to play as a keeper. Deflections often make you look stupid. It's completely different to when a striker gets a touch from close range. So hard to adjust.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
When it's that heavily deflected from 5 yards away he's fecked. Absolutely no chance.
In general it is, but from that situation he was always going to keep his first post so I think he should have done better. It's not like the ball was already crossed to the other side so he had to change his positioning.

For example their keeper's reflex save against Pogba's close range shot was probably more difficult to save than this.

Deleted member 101472

His body movement was all wrong for the goal, he set up to block it the way he does when someone has a one on one with him in close. It was blatantly obvious that pieters was going to cut it back so don't really know what DDG was thinking. Once he's set his stall like that it's impossible for him to recover in time but he should have just been a more solid frame at the front post instead of that knee stuck out stance.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The cross and deflection were balls that one sees in indoor soccer due to their proximity to the goal. When the ball is in that position with the Stoke player looking at his teammate crashing the far post with a step on the United player, he attempted to cross it, only to have the shot being deflected into the goal with DDG having no chance.

His positioning one yard off the goal line and a half step back towards the far post shows that he was taking all goalscoring possibilities into account. The Stoke player's body language and his hip/foot positioning was not one of a shooting possibility; the Stoke player wanted to cross it. While only being a half step back from the post gives DDG a better chance to save a cross (most likely with his feet) and also gives DDG a head start to cover the far post, most likely he would not be able to get across, though.

Goal was in no possible way DDG's fault. To remain rooted to the near post limits a GK's ability to only potentially saving a near post strike; to leave the cross channel open would create a tap in. His positioning would have given him a chance to save near post as well as disrupt a cross or perform a miraculous save to the far post off the Stoke crasher's shot.

The goal is the fault of Mata, no one else.

NinjaFletch

This place his crazy. How is that goal his fault?
Who's actually saying it is his fault? Anyone?

All I said is I feel he could have done better.

It might be harsh, but he's rightly considered one of the worlds best and should be held to high standards.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Who's actually saying it is his fault? Anyone?

All I said is I feel he could have done better.

It might be harsh, but he's rightly considered one of the worlds best and should be held to high standards.
It's too harsh. The ball is 5 yards out and he's preparing for a ball across the box. Can't see what he could have done.

criticalanalysis

Goal was in no possible way DDG's fault. To remain rooted to the near post limits a GK's ability to only potentially saving a near post strike; to leave the cross channel open would create a tap in. His positioning would have given him a chance to save near post as well as disrupt a cross or perform a miraculous save to the far post off the Stoke crasher's shot.
I only saw the own goal once and haven't seen any replays (@GifLord ?) yet but my first impression was De God would have probably been disappointed to have let that go in.

There's a reason why you always cover your near post first because it's the nearest chance for a ball to go in and that's taken into considering that you have defenders always blocking off the angles for far past passes/crosses/shots etc. Anyways I'm just speculating atm, will see it later and comment then!

worldinmotion66

No way anyone should be questioning De Gea for that goal. He'll be gutted because it's an annoying goal to concede and it completely changes the game, but there was nothing that he could've done about it.

I feel almost guilty that we haven't been praising him as much recently, he's just had very little to do or very little he could have done about the goals we have been conceding. He was fantastic against Liverpool. It makes all the difference to not have to worry about that position, settles the defenders more that you could ever believe. You need to trust your goalkeeper completely as a defender.

Sylar

I think he should have stayed a bit closer to the post.
Nah,he has to position himself based on the opposition, not his own players. He was in a good position, the deflection just makes him look silly, but its one of those that you get done by because your body is going one way, and the ball goes the other.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I think any criticism of De Gea for that goal is purely down to how highly we rate him. His reflexes with his feet are such that on another day he might have saved it.

I feel that way about any goal De Gea concedes :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I only saw the own goal once and haven't seen any replays (@GifLord ?) yet but my first impression was De God would have probably been disappointed to have let that go in.

There's a reason why you always cover your near post first because it's the nearest chance for a ball to go in and that's taken into considering that you have defenders always blocking off the angles for far past passes/crosses/shots etc. Anyways I'm just speculating atm, will see it later and comment then!
The thing is that the play was not a cross in the traditional sense. Since everyone on Stok was either checking to a post & every United player was checking back to help, the cross/pass was hit, Mata diverted it into our goal. DDG tried to possess an area that would discourage a near post shot (there was no true shot, by its angle, it completely was a pass to the Stoke runner on the far lost)

Look how many deflected shots go in from strikes from outside the 18; to think that DDG should have been able to stop a deflection that occurred w/ in 6 feet from him as he was starting to shift left once he realized the Stoke player was crossing is ludicrous. He is the best keeper in the world. His team let him down on that goal.

surf

Nothing he could have done other than get lucky with where it hit him. He had the near post covered for the potential shot from Pieters and then started to move away when it didn't come. Which is correct goalkeeping. He would usually save something random like this anyway, so it is disappointing when luck goes against him.

CG1010

We had 43 and 93 pages for De Gea's performance threads in the last two seasons. This one is going to be much shorter. This is a reflection on improving team performances that have reduced the pressure put on him, and consequently reduced limelight. One of the signs of progress thread...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Must have been his most boring season ever, barely has any shots against him these days, if Jose's good at anything it's organising a defence.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I loved how pissed off he was about the shitty wall for that Mahrez free-kick... you tell 'em Dave.
He definitely needed to get on the four players in the wall, but Dave would have been as culpable for the goal as the wall would have been.

He set the wall up incorrectly. The tallest defender in the wall should be positioned on its near post end; as the wall extends towards the middle of the pitch, the defenders should be getting shorter. The main reason for this set up is to attempt to make a near post shot all the more difficult to get up and down. As the wall is extended, the shorter players will offer the GK the ability to see a shot that comes over the inner wall all the more quickly. The shot would only have been seen a split second earlier, but a GK like Dave with phenomenal reflexes can take advantage of that.

In the same vein as tallest player being placed at the wall's near post end, you want your biggest player in that spot (Ibra is someone who should always be there). The Mahrez free kick came through the wall at lower chest height due to Ibra jumping to the side, pushing Herrera and Rashford to their right, allowing for a large gap between him and Mkhitaryan. Placing the tallest (who is often one of the biggest players) makes it more difficult to jump sideways like Ibra did due simply to the fact that there are three players to his inside. The wall might get compacted, perhaps enough to allow a near post goal, but, more often than not, the wall will maintain its integrity by employing the correct players in the correct positions.

Just a very small issue about which to offer criticism, but it may be the little things like this that might keep us from winning cups or finishing fourth or better.

Reactions: Invictus

GazTheLegend

We had 43 and 93 pages for De Gea's performance threads in the last two seasons. This one is going to be much shorter. This is a reflection on improving team performances that have reduced the pressure put on him, and consequently reduced limelight. One of the signs of progress thread...
I was just coming on here to post this!

I saw de Geas catch second half and actually thought he was Romero for a minute.

It must be a lot more pleasant to play as a Man Utd goalkeeper at the minute without having to make world class saves and getting your goal peppered for most second halves against any old team!! 16 pages so far and we've played more games than ever, what with the europa league etc.

Sylar

10th Clean Sheet of the league.

Nice to see him organising the defence, he's come a long way since his early days.
Also nice to see him getting annoyed at his defence and the wall when they dont do what he asks.
Hes been robbed off a few clean sheets due to some silly defending.

Its nice that hes not going to be player of the season again. But also good that when required he can pull of some important saves.

Devil may care

He's definitely becoming more vocal, a natural progression I guess as he's now playing with a defense who are his peers age-wise apart from Tony.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
One of the first games for a while where he's had to actually earn his clean sheet, solid performance.

King.of.Red

zarate freekick was dangerous. got me scared, luckily De Gea made superb save. hopefully he stays with us as long as possible or retires in United. love him..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Seaman was saying something about him not being commanding over the weekend. What nonsense!
We seem to equate shouting and looking mean with a goalkeeper being commanding in this country.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seaman was saying something about him not being commanding over the weekend. What nonsense!
We seem to equate shouting and looking mean with a goalkeeper being commanding in this country.
Stigma's stay attached to some silly old pro's. They remember him when he first joined, just a boy. Yes he wasn't perfect back then but who would be? To say he doesn't command his box now or take charge of the defence is just plain stupid.

Anyway, pleased to see another clean sheet for him. After 3 years of being busier than any MUFC keeper should be, it's nice to see him sit back and rack up the numbers. Definitely deserves a golden glove award.

criticalanalysis

Stigma's stay attached to some silly old pro's. They remember him when he first joined, just a boy. Yes he wasn't perfect back then but who would be? To say he doesn't command his box now or take charge of the defence is just plain stupid.

Anyway, pleased to see another clean sheet for him. After 3 years of being busier than any MUFC keeper should be, it's nice to see him sit back and rack up the numbers. Definitely deserves a golden glove award.
To be honest I can see where Seaman is coming from though (oh-er) because DDG is definitely a 'quiet' one compared to others in the league. He's the Scholes of keepers, class all round and does his talking with his hands (and feet) but maybe we could benefit with a bit more vocal organisation from him personally. Imagine him telling where he wants Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Rojo etc to be when he has the ball or telling them to clear the fecking near post at set pieces etc.

Of course there's no scientific fact to say that would 'improve' our defence but it does feel there is a bit of a 'disconnect' between him and the defence. Right now it's like we have De God in between the sticks and then 4 really professional defenders in front of him doing their job. Either way it works so we should be grateful anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.