Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thepinhead

Best shotstopper ever probably but boy sometimes I wish we had Schmeichel to come out and command the areas on crosses and long balls. De gea is always backing and it is starting to annoy me slightly.

kundalini

Had he retained his original position when the cross came in, he would have barely needed to move to catch the ball. Horrendous error, especially with Smalling injured.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's been annoying on high balls in last couple of games. Thought he might have come out for one of City goals too. It's definitely still the weakest part of his game.

Rajma

Should have came out flying to collect it, sometimes he's really glued to the line and can't help himself.

ash_86

He needs to be more commanding in the box. Though his shot stopping is next to none, his leadership skills are very poor. Thats where Neuer will trump him

FromTheBench

Should have come out for the 2nd as well?

He is the best shot stopper but lacks the command elsewhere.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Somewhat challenging to come out when a ball is played in from open play with swerve to back post equal or beyond, but the ball was played with enough height & was played at such an angle that DDG was able to start out further off the near post that he should have made an attempt at it. He probably was even able to see a bit of the Leicester player out of his periphery. As a keeper, you are always trusting that your outside back or outside midfielder is tracking back to put a body on the furthest attacker, but at that time of the game, with one of your CBs hobbled, you command your area and get some contact on the ball with your hands somehow.

Maguire also struck the shot well inside the goal box. A keeper of DDG's standards should be controlling the goal box at minimum.

Difficult for me to fault DDG as I have been a huge supporter of his since his arrival, but he let the team down by not making an attempt on the ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's an incredible shot stopper, but I do think at times, he could be more commanding in coming out for the ball.

That said, I've not seen the 2nd goal again, so I don't know if it was partially his fault.

Rossa

Should have come out for the 2nd as well?

He is the best shot stopper but lacks the command elsewhere.
Should? He DEFINITELY should have come out for the second. People are moaning in Smalling's thread when there should be no doubt that DDG should have plucked that easily. It's terrible, terrible goalkeeping.

Andersons Dietician

He probably should have come out for both balls really yeah first one would have been a risk but he probably gets there, 2nd one all day long he should be taking that. Smalling even puts out his arms like he is expecting Dave to come for that and he’s right that should have been an easy take for Dave. Unusually poor decision making from him,

Rossa

He's been annoying on high balls in last couple of games. Thought he might have come out for one of City goals too. It's definitely still the weakest part of his game.
The really annoying part is people are having a serious meltdown in Smalling's thread about both goals whereas for the first one, he was the only one doing his job (well,Young's), and then for the second, DDG should have come out and easily plucked the ball for the second. However, there seems to be a law that DDG is beyond criticism, which is completely BS.

Rossa

He probably should have come out for both balls really yeah first one would have been a risk but he probably gets there, 2nd one all day long he should be taking that. Smalling even puts out his arms like he is expecting Dave to come for that and he’s right that should have been an easy take for Dave. Unusually poor decision making from him,
Not quite sure about that. DDG is the best shot stopper in the world, bar none. However, when it comes to commanding the box and dealing with high balls/crosses, he has a long way to go. He also had some questionable distribution today. I rated him 5, but in hindsight I think I was a little generous.

All that being said, the reason we lose today is because of the attackers.

Canagel

De Gea has two big weaknesses. The first one is not coming out to challenge for the ball when needed. Both goals could've been avoided if he had come out. The second one is his long balls and his distribution from the back. I don't know if anyone has realised but it's the second or third time he has kicked straight to an opposition player in our own half in the last couple of games. He must be more accurate with these balls and not put the team under unessesary pressure. Shot stopping 10/10 for me but until he irons out these problems I don't think he will be recognized as the best GK in the world.

Andersons Dietician

Not quite sure about that. DDG is the best shot stopper in the world, bar none. However, when it comes to commanding the box and dealing with high balls/crosses, he has a long way to go. He also had some questionable distribution today. I rated him 5, but in hindsight I think I was a little generous.

All that being said, the reason we lose today is because of the attackers.
For sure think he should and can do better ruling the box but anything that close he is normally pretty decent at going and taking.
Is it just me or has he actually stopped leaving the goal line as much. I seem to remember him under SAF being a bit of a sweeper keeper and good with his feet. Part of the reason SAF bought him, however he never really seems to do that much anymore.

I went for a 4 but I normally start everyone on a 5 as average and go up or down depending on performance. Gave Rashford a 2 for example.

Acole9

Outstanding
Definitely should've come out for the second goal to help Smalling.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I remember how someone said in another thread that Neuer had apparently made almost twice as many mistakes as De Gea in the past few years. I argued that this is because Neuer takes more risks.

Although neither of the two goals De Gea conceded today will go down as mistakes, Neuer would have prevented both of them.

This doesn’t mean that DDG isn’t a great goalkeeper, he clearly is. But he’s more of a reflex goalkeeper (like Casillas) and not a goalkeeper who dominates his box (Schmeichel, Buffon, Neuer).

worcesterred

I can only echo previous posts. His major deficiency means that he is not in the same class as Schmikes.

Acole9

Outstanding
There was one point during sky's analysis where they said Ederson would've saved that. The caf must've been hurting inside.

Nero

There was one point during sky's analysis where they said Ederson would've saved that. The caf must've been hurting inside.
Huge part of the caf is in love with City. Probably got butterflies hearing Ederson's name.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's an incredible shot stopper, but I do think at times, he could be more commanding in coming out for the ball.

That said, I've not seen the 2nd goal again, so I don't know if it was partially his fault.
Specially considering that keepers get ridiculous protection from referees these days. It's something he has to work on indeed.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I remember how someone said in another thread that Neuer had apparently made almost twice as many mistakes as De Gea in the past few years. I argued that this is because Neuer takes more risks.

Although neither of the two goals De Gea conceded today will go down as mistakes, Neuer would have prevented both of them.

This doesn’t mean that DDG isn’t a great goalkeeper, he clearly is. But he’s more of a reflex goalkeeper (like Casillas) and not a goalkeeper who dominates his box (Schmeichel, Buffon, Neuer).
Spot on and that’s why it was strange not to see Smalling and Jones (two elder statesmen) push us up a yard or two outside the 18. That line cost us points along with our inability to kill an easy game off.

Giggsyking

Im going to say that, and Im not taking a dig at DDG cause I still think he is a fabulous GK and we are lucky to have him. But the best GK in the world should have learned in 7 years how to come and stop crosses and high balls in a league full of long balls. He learned nothing in 7 years in that aspect and its strange.

Treble

DDG is not perfect and should add new strings to his bow.

But...he is the difference between 2nd and 5th. Had Liverpool had DDG, they will be 2nd. It's that simple.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
Best shot stopper ive ever seen. But it frustrates me when he backs of crosses the way he does. Clearly De gea must see smalling was injured and be ready to come catch that ball. Especially as it was so close to his original starting position. Even our Best players shouldn't be immune to criticism.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
This is why DDG might never be an undisputed number 1 in the world. Like @Infordin says, he's more of a reflex GK than a commander of his box.

montpelier

As a tentative defence, I don't suppose he knows Smalling is going to let the ball float over his head until it actually happens. But it travels so far & Maguire sidefoots it in, :(.

Our GK does NOT come for crosses, that's a fact. Can be a kind of OK arrangement, everyone knows the way things are, but sometimes...

diplomat

Could it be a tactical instruction that De Gea does not come out?

It's just my personal hypothesis, but possibly due to his incredible reflexes and the fact that the team as a defensive unit normally plays deep when the opposition gets to put the pressure on, DDG very rarely has to handle such situations and that kind of lack of experience causes reluctance in making the right decision when it comes to that.

I have seen him make wonderful touches and passes under pressure, I don't believe there is a weakness there compared to even someone like Ederson. City's goalie just gets to practice that stuff more in training since it's part of the game-plan so it's done in a structural order and makes it less likely to commit mistakes.

Reactions: Raoul

Sgeorge

As another commenter posted, DDG's distribution has at times not been great. In fact many a times when the ball is passed back and he needs to get the ball up field, his kick hasn't been convincing or not very accurate. Not sure if this was happening last season, but it has happened a number of times this season.

Don't get me wrong he is an exceptional GK, but he can still improve and should.

IRELANDUNITED

Jeeez i must say i'm a little bit surprised at the stick DDG is getting on here after 1 error. Flog him off to Madrid so as soon as January comes round?

Oscie

Jeeez i must say i'm a little bit surprised at the stick DDG is getting on here after 1 error. Flog him off to Madrid so as soon as January comes round?
We had a disappointing result. Therefore he's gone from the best keeper in the world to a decent shot stopper but weak in the air, lacking in confidence, not a leader and probably a crap shag too. The old adage that you're only as good as your last game is quite literally how people think these days.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Such criticism comes with the position, especially at a club like ours. DDG's obvious qualities aren't lessened in any way after the match, but if he had made contact with the crossed ball with just one hand, we would have secured an important win, there's just no way around that.

Idxomer

He's the main reason we look so vulnerable in defending set pieces.

diplomat

We need someone to teach him how to leave the goalline
We need to remember that without him, the team would have been in mid-table in the last 4 seasons. He is the last player I would blame for our current state, literally.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We really don't need to start complaining about one of our best players. Yes it'd be ideal if he was more commanding, but he isn't. He's the absolute best at what he does do.

What we need is a leader and organiser there, someone utterly dominant in the air. Vidic/Rio type.

We had 4 leaders in our back five when we won the CL in 08. Now we don't have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.