Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

I actually think Pep would prefer Ederson over him, kicking is so important for a goalkeeper nowadays and he continuously gives the ball away every other game.
I agree. I don't think Pep would play him either. It's sounds crazy but De Gea's distribution isn't good enough despite his amazing shot stopping abilities. Those saves wouldn't be needed in a Pep team because the goalkeeper is essentially the 11th player. They dominate so much that Ederson is hardly required to make such saves.

Member 90678

Every single aspect of his game has improved over the years except for his kicking, which has fallen off a cliff.
For me his domination in his area is still really poor.He doesn't organise his defenders or dominate his 6 yard box at corners and free kicks.
He is still a worldie in goals but meh at dominating his area.

Fracture90

Glad he didn't have much work today, unusual for our stabdar...but hey, im not complaining.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How do you rate De Gea if he doesn't do much? I'm not bringing this man's rating down.

I agree. I don't think Pep would play him either. It's sounds crazy but De Gea's distribution isn't good enough despite his amazing shot stopping abilities. Those saves wouldn't be needed in a Pep team because the goalkeeper is essentially the 11th player. They dominate so much that Ederson is hardly required to make such saves.
His distribution has been good in the past, not as good recently but we did score from one of his kicks being nodded on (CL was it?).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
For me his domination in his area is still really poor.He doesn't organise his defenders or dominate his 6 yard box at corners and free kicks.
He is still a worldie in goals but meh at dominating his area.
And he doesn't come for anything. :(

Still TBITW though

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Every single aspect of his game has improved over the years except for his kicking, which has fallen off a cliff.
Same thing has happened to our last few keepers. VDS was one of the best around when he came to us, but by the end his distribution had definitely declined. Romero is normally quite good as well, but he was quite poor in his last game (although obviously one game is far too small a sample size to truly say his distribution has declined).

Ban

And he doesn't come for anything. :(

Still TBITW though
He could have been better for both Leicester goals, especially the 2nd. Sure Smalling made a mess out of it (was it?) but was maybe expecting DDG to come for the ball. Still too glued to the line.

el3mel

I think David deserved criticism for the past few games, but he's one of the players that I don't love to criticize considering he saved us a lot these past few years and even during this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He could have been better for both Leicester goals, especially the 2nd. Sure Smalling made a mess out of it (was it?) but was maybe expecting DDG to come for the ball. Still too glued to the line.
I'm not just referring to crosses though, anything that comes his way 9 times out of 10 he'll stay on his line and let the defender run all the way back (as far as the touch line) to deal with it when it would have relieved a lot of pressure had DDG just came and picked it up

What he lacks in doing that though he makes up for in other aspects though, still something he could work on though

kiristao

For me his domination in his area is still really poor.He doesn't organise his defenders or dominate his 6 yard box at corners and free kicks. He is still a worldie in goals but meh at dominating his area.
I'm not just referring to crosses though, anything that comes his way 9 times out of 10 he'll stay on his line and let the defender run all the way back (as far as the touch line) to deal with it when it would have relieved a lot of pressure had DDG just came and picked it up
What he lacks in doing that though he makes up for in other aspects though, still something he could work on though
Been saying this for the longest time. He tends to put our defenders under a lot of pressure with this. Maybe the match going fans can keep an eye on his starting position and give us a better idea but I feel he sits too deep. If he can add that bit to the game, he would be the best in the business because right now very few come close to him from a pure shot stopping point of view.

rampo

DDG is good with his short passing and his long passing is decent (not great but decent). In fact, we scored from a DDG's long ball vs Spurs.

But, why would Pep's team's goalkeeper not need saving? Ederson had made some wonderful saves himself over last few matches - the match against us being one of them. And what is this 'Pep won't play him'? And who is to say DDG wouldn't have adapted to City's style of play? He adapted to the most demanding aspect of English football - physicality - that too at a relatively young age

nonso

Christ alive!! The city and pep wanking is getting out of hand,who cares if pep will play him or not. So if you can't fit into Pep's system then you are shit right. He is the best goalie in the league simple.

eat_grass

I didn't realize he'd hurt his back in the Everton game. He spent a good five minutes stretching it out after an innocuous-looking drop-kick in the first half:

38:28 minute mark of the video:

He looked recovered by halftime, though.

Ashley R1+O

38:28 minute mark of the video:
Interesting post, thanks. Things you see when you only watch on the tele - the game really looks so slow from this angle. I watch our home league from the right side around 10m elevated at around the edge of the penalty area. Watching from behind gives a real keeper's view of the game. Intriguing insight. Quality tash on that bloke as well!

AR87

Christ alive!! The city and pep wanking is getting out of hand,who cares if pep will play him or not. So if you can't fit into Pep's system then you are shit right. He is the best goalie in the league simple.
If Pep wouldn't play him over Ederson that says more about his blind devotion to possession than it does about some major deficiency in DDG's distribution or whatever.

Been saying this for the longest time. He tends to put our defenders under a lot of pressure with this. Maybe the match going fans can keep an eye on his starting position and give us a better idea but I feel he sits too deep. If he can add that bit to the game, he would be the best in the business because right now very few come close to him from a pure shot stopping point of view.
I agree with this. IMO it's the last thing he needs to elevate to become a truly flawless GK. I think his tendency to stick to his line is a result of his faith, deservedly, in his shot stopping abilities above all else.

eat_grass

Interesting post, thanks. Things you see when you only watch on the tele - the game really looks so slow from this angle. I watch our home league from the right side around 10m elevated at around the edge of the penalty area. Watching from behind gives a real keeper's view of the game. Intriguing insight. Quality tash on that bloke as well!
I don't think I'd enjoy this angle much, to be honest. The keeper perspective is really neat, but it feels like you miss out on a lot of the details of the game from here. Maybe if it was elevated it would be better.

Also funny to listen to the exasperated Everton fans get angry as United built up waves of pressure in the second half. Interesting too how the uploader had the completely opposite opinion of the Everton substitutions than most of the Caf.

tomaldinho1

This stuff about DDG not fitting their system is just hot air. DDG is a) very good with his range of passing in general and b) a much better all round GK than Ederson.

No competition on who Pep would pick if he had the choice.

It's like saying Aguero wouldn't fit Mourinho's system because he wants a big man up top - We'd all take him every day of the week over Lukaku, it's just such a gulf in proven ability.

Rasfene

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

It’s crazy people not rating his distribution, we have played in a way over the last 2 years where he is punting it to a target man a lot or Fellaini they aren’t going to win every ball. His pass to Lukaku for the Martial goal vs Spurs. Driven and flat. That’s a hard pass.
Under LVG, Moyes and SAF he was more of a sweeper keeper. Recently does seem reluctant to go out for a ball but maybe that is by design. He’s good with his feet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was probably one of the first to be critical of his distribution and stand by it. That is not to say he couldn't improve it under Pep's management, as he is very nimble on his feet and can ping a ball well.. but he's conservative by nature and not naturally flamboyant or confident with the ball at his feet. He's a pure goalkeeper and definitely not no sweeper keeper even under previous managers - that would be greatly overrating his feats with the ball.

Its the one area which if De Gea could improve, he'd be so far ahead of everyone - he'd be keeper of the year every year and cement his status as one of the all time greats. Commanding in the air will be difficult just by virtue of his frame, but no reason why he shouldn't be top notch at distribution.

Andersons Dietician

Was probably one of the first to be critical of his distribution and stand by it. That is not to say he couldn't improve it under Pep's management, as he is very nimble on his feet and can ping a ball well.. but he's conservative by nature and not naturally flamboyant or confident with the ball at his feet. He's a pure goalkeeper and definitely not no sweeper keeper even under previous managers - that would be greatly overrating his feats with the ball.

Its the one area which if De Gea could improve, he'd be so far ahead of everyone - he'd be keeper of the year every year and cement his status as one of the all time greats. Commanding in the air will be difficult just by virtue of his frame, but no reason why he shouldn't be top notch at distribution.
It’s one of the reasons Fergie bought him, his comfort on the ball. Agreed he should be more commanding in the box and just claiming everything, now he tends to stay on his line a lot. However a lot of that is how deep our defence play. There isn’t really ever any need for him to play as a sweeper keeper or be that 12th outfielder. He would under LVG fill that role tho and Fergie and even under Moyes.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor

He's not comfortable / confident with the ball at his feet ? :lol::lol::lol: What the feck have you been drinking / smoking / injecting ?

You're mistaking manager instructions with weakness.

Mourinho wants him to peg the ball up the pitch.

His weakness is crosses where there is a question if he should come off his line or not.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's not comfortable / confident with the ball at his feet ? :lol::lol::lol: What the feck have you been drinking / smoking / injecting ?

You're mistaking manager instructions with weakness.

Mourinho wants him to peg the ball up the pitch.

His weakness is crosses where there is a question if he should come off his line or not.
I agree with that, but even in the brief moments when he does get to show his footballing skills, he isn't comfortable as the very best sweeper keepers - he mishits quite alot of passes despite not being asked to contribute that much with the ball. Definitely a gulf in class to say VDS, on the ball.

Like you said, if he played under a Guardiola, I am sure he would brush up more on distribution and he'd become better at it. However even under LVG a guy who favoured passing out of the back, there was some improvement but nothing eye-catching about his distribution during that period.

Can you envisage him coming out and heading the ball, chesting it down.. like a Neuer or Ederson? because that is the type of thing you'd have to do in a Pep side. At the moment, he hasn't for me shown he can do that yet - but nor is it impossible for him to gain these skills.. Valdez and Neuer were not natural ball players, and were coached into being a good fit whereas Hart was a write-off. I don't think De Gea is that bad, just compared to his peers.. it isn't a strength at this moment in time.

Member 5225

Mourinho: “Obviously we are going to try (renew De Gea contract). Mr Woodward is not on holiday. He barely has holidays. Of course he’s going to try to give him a contract that keeps him here for much longer than that option that of course we are going to execute.”

Trizy

Pay the man what he wants. He's been one of the very few shining lights of the last 5 years.

Fracture90

We need a few of Manchester based UTD fans to serenade DDG every night in front of his house.

Sylar

Any other keeper and that save is the highlight of their life. He seems to make them every week. He's an unbelievable man.
Its nuts right? It was outstanding save imo, but just looked so standard for him.

Rasfene

Courtois injured.

DDG on his way to his first golden glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.