Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnoldS

Happy for him as he got a cleen sheet again but besides that his performance today was not really good. so many missed kicks and why doesn't he come off the line more at corners? He always stands on his line and hardly ever moves.

Kag

His kicking isn't half shite, at times.

It feels like he scuffs a low one to an opposition player almost every week. Love him, mind you, but still.

Classical Mechanic

His kicking isn't half shite, at times.

It feels like he scuffs a low one to an opposition player almost every week.
It's weird as when he first joined he played sweeper keeper in the true Spanish style but somewhere along the line he was told not too. Now his kicking isn't that great.

marlowe78

It's weird as when he first joined he played sweeper keeper in the true Spanish style but somewhere along the line he was told not too. Now his kicking isn't that great.
Is he being told to do this? It sounds ridiculous but he seems to clear every ball to an opposing player, even when there's no immediate pressure.

el3mel

When did his distribution become that bad ? I hardly remember him having any trouble with it previously but the last games he's kicking the ball so bad.

jackofalltrades

Seems to me that his distribtion has been deteriorating slowly but surely over the seaons.

Another thing is how often we play out of defence and play ourselves into trouble as we did in about the 4th minute today. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Classical Mechanic

Is he being told to do this? It sounds ridiculous but he seems to clear every ball to an opposing player, even when there's no immediate pressure.
What I mean is when he first came he played like a proper sweeper keeper, controlling the ball passing it out etc but at one point he started playing more like a typical PL keeper and punting it mostly, or pinging it to the full back on the line. Now his kicking seems to have regressed.

marlowe78

What I mean is when he first came he played like a proper sweeper keeper, controlling the ball passing it out etc but at one point he started playing more like a typical PL keeper and punting it mostly, or pinging it to the full back on the line. Now his kicking seems to have regressed.
Yeah, now that you mention it, there has been a change in his approach. Let's not forget that with all of the managerial changes, the goalkeeping coach has also changed. Let's hope that Jose's staff sees his weaknesses and works on them.

prath92

He has 14 cleansheets so far in 24 games. In 2015-16 we had 19 in 38 (DDG had 16 in 34 and Romero had 3 in 4)

eat_grass

He made a few bizarre decisions against Burnely. Seems so uncharacteristic for a player who's so phenomenal at his profession. When a goal keeper gets tired, it's usually the mental aspect that suffers (poorer decision making). Maybe he needs a break. He should get it against Yeovil.

MuranoLover

Maybe he is also bored of looking what is happening in front of him ?

If we are looking for a bright future , first thing we must do is sign a new contract with him

parkthebuslads

He made a few bizarre decisions against Burnely. Seems so uncharacteristic for a player who's so phenomenal at his profession. When a goal keeper gets tired, it's usually the mental aspect that suffers (poorer decision making). Maybe he needs a break. He should get it against Yeovil.
Aerially he isn't very good. It was noticeable when he first joined and hasn't been hugely improved upon, he just stopped coming off his line. His shot stopping probably makes him the best GK going, but a lot of his game is unremarkable.

eat_grass

he just stopped coming off his line.
I think it's partly explained by his supreme confidence in being able to stop shots, but you're right he doesn't come off his line in situations that scream for it -- and even when he does, he doesn't seem thrilled by it.

Maybe the trade-off is: stay light (muscular-wise) and make incredible saves that heavier keepers can't make, or bulk up and attack crosses more aggressively.

Antonedwin

heard rumor madrid want to pay money + navas and kovacic to get him.
he is foolish if he went to that sinking ship

prath92

I think it's partly explained by his supreme confidence in being able to stop shots, but you're right he doesn't come off his line in situations that scream for it -- and even when he does, he doesn't seem thrilled by it.

Maybe the trade-off is: stay light (muscular-wise) and make incredible saves that heavier keepers can't make, or bulk up and attack crosses more aggressively.
Nah he still moves quite well. Last game I remember smalling or someone had no one to pass to and DDG came and offered an outlet. I don’t really see the criticism of him tbh. If it’s a choice between shot stopping and distribution I know what I’ll choose

IAmAWinner

If Real offered us Kroos, Isco, Kovacic and Asensio I still wouldn't take the offer. World class goalkeepers are hard to find.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
If Real offered us Kroos, Isco, Kovacic and Asensio I still wouldn't take the offer. World class goalkeepers are hard to find.
Just stop with this ridiculous hyperbole already. You are essentially saying you would turn down £350m+ for a fecking GK...

eat_grass

Nah he still moves quite well. Last game I remember smalling or someone had no one to pass to and DDG came and offered an outlet. I don’t really see the criticism of him tbh. If it’s a choice between shot stopping and distribution I know what I’ll choose
I think we're talking about different things.

He's doing more than fine playing with the ball at his feet and serving as a defender's outlet option, but his distribution from either free kicks or when releasing the ball to get the offense started has been borderline atrocious. That, and there have been several times where he should have come off his line and challenged an aerial cross, but instead opted to stay put and take his chances with a potential header on target.

Jaybomb

Just stop with this ridiculous hyperbole already. You are essentially saying you would turn down £350m+ for a fecking GK...
I’d rather have De Gea than any of those players.

Kroos and Isco are good. The other two don’t excite me at all. Not sure if Kroos has the pace and physicality for the Premier League either.

Isco would be a quality addition though.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I love DDG, but that would be a good deal for us. Navas is a top quality keeper and Kovacic would be a brilliant midfield option. If we got £40-£50 million in cash as well we could go out and buy a top class, up and coming keeper too.

I really hope he stays, but I think it’s inevitable that he will join them at some point :(

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love DDG, but that would be a good deal for us. Navas is a top quality keeper and Kovacic would be a brilliant midfield option. If we got £40-£50 million in cash as well we could go out and buy a top class, up and coming keeper too.

I really hope he stays, but I think it’s inevitable that he will join them at some point :(
No need to buy one. Pereira fits that bill nicely.

nah_it_wont_happen

I might be of an unpopular opinion.

I'd actually take 70m pounds+Kovacic and buy Jan Oblak. Kovacic is still young and talented. Central midfielders take time to mature and reach the highest level, as did the likes of Rakitic and Modric.

For all the great shot stopping capability De Gea has, he's not improved his game against crossing or taking command of the box. The way he conceded goals against Leceister and Burnley are a testament to that fact and totally unacceptable for a United GK. Peter Schmeichel and Edwin VDS were miles better than De Gea in that regard. I think Oblak wouldn't be a bad replacement for him (he kept something like 69% clean sheets since joining Atletico).

Last edited:
Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I can’t figure out if his distribution (ie hoofing) is terrible, or if a Lukaku just doesn’t have the necessary coordination to see where the ball is going to land.

Either way, we concede possession as good as every time De Gea gets on the ball. Quite frustrating.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Is it just me that's starting to wonder how long he will stick around for? Every year a move has been rumoured I've always felt that he might believe we aren't far away from being a top side. How long can you sell somebody that vision though whilst they see more and more players arrive, making no difference to the team?

It almost feels like staying here is becoming a bit of a gamble for De Gea now if he wants to be consistently challenging and making a name for himself in the history books.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
if he wants to be consistently challenging and making a name for himself in the history books
Maybe he's not that arsed, I mean he's stuck it out the last four and a half years.

Antonedwin

I can’t figure out if his distribution (ie hoofing) is terrible, or if a Lukaku just doesn’t have the necessary coordination to see where the ball is going to land.

Either way, we concede possession as good as every time De Gea gets on the ball. Quite frustrating.
it's lukaku, fellaini and zlatan did much better job at handling de gea long ball . lukaku is just not good enough as target man

Acole9

Outstanding
His distribution wasn't the best yesterday but that's not the reason why we lost. No player is clear of blame but it is hard to point fingers at him generally as he's dug us out so many times.

Man Utd 2:0 Huddersfield

Rasfene

Sylar

He deserved a day off given the shit show the players ahead of him had in midweek.

Status
Not open for further replies.