Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just as I thought it couldn’t get worse in here. This is one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on the caf.
What's wrong with that post? We don't need a DDG to finish 5,6,7 th positions . Not saying he needs to be sold but wouldn't be a disaster either if he leaves .

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What's wrong with that post? We don't need a DDG to finish 5,6,7 th positions . Not saying he needs to be sold but wouldn't be a disaster either if he leaves .
For starters, we would've finished worse off without his many saves that no one else would've made.
Secondly, what even is the point? We don't need him because we're not good enough anyway? That he wasn't good enough for us to finish in a decent position?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
So it’s unreasonable to question why he’s on such a decline?
No its perfectly reasonable, I'm just bemused as to why people have to go through so many other excuses before exploring the possibility that maybe he's just not as good as they think he is.

I personally have always thought he was massively overrated because, in my opinion, a keeper who is so poor at commanding his box, coming out of his line and distribution can't possibly be considered 'the best' no matter how good their shot-stopping is.

This season though (including the world cup), in my opinion, he's gone from overrated to just poor, a liability in fact and I think giving him a new contract on the sort of money being talked about would be a huge error.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Half decent, absolutely. I’m just simply answering your what’s the difference question.
My point still stands.
They are both top level athletes but one gets constantly scrutinised and one doesn't.

Maybe it's just a difference of opinion, in that you think because someone has been great in the past then they can have as many bad performances as they like and still be considered the best, I don't.
I think you need to keep it up and stop costing your team wins in massive games or you deserve to be scrutinised and criticised.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His form is a worry. Can't even tell if it's form or his head being somewhere else, either way it's another huge problem for Ole to sort out

starman

Obviously want to keep him but I think he leaves this time. 14 months left on his contract, we are currently well off the pace of the elite teams, and will walk straight into any of those teams who can offer him guaranteed trophies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A good keeper couldn’t replicate that no. We would have finished lower.

De Gea saved so many points for us in seasons gone by. A keeper who isn’t as good as he is - wouldn’t have saved those points.
We would've finished higher in some of those seasons with a keeper who could actually be brave and come and command his area to relieve some pressure off his CBs, rather than stay routed to his spot..

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Because you're a De Gea fanboy that refuses to see his limitations..
:rolleyes:

I don't refuse to see them, I just refuse to see it as
1) as large a problem as people are making out, and one that can't be worked on
2) that he's negatively affected us to the point it's cost us places :houllier:
3) means he's a cnut who should be sold, like others have said
4) that we can get someone better than the best shot stopper in the world (yeah he made a mistake, big woop), who will benefit us more

Canagel

4) that we can get someone better than the best shot stopper in the world in (yeah he made a mistake, big woop), who will benefit us more
yes we can. Real Madrid and Barcelona won leagues and champions leagues with the likes of Navas and Bravo in the sticks. If the rest of the team you don't need superhuman goalkeeping. Which De Gea isn't any longer. As for the rest of his game the less said the better. The modern goalkeeping has progressed and keepers like DDG are being left behind.

ash_86

If he's not committing what even the point? It's better to sell him now than give him 400k. It's perfectly acceptable to find someone as good in other aspects even if he's a level below DDG in shot stopping. Likes of Juventus are fielding Szczęsny and are not complaining. A great goal keeper will win us 3-4 games a season. A great striker will win a team 9-10 games a season. I'd put all my effort in finding a quality striker and play a good goal keeper.

Aloysius's Back 3

He is the RVN of goalkeeping.

Absolutely wonderful ability that helps our defence whilst certain aspects that limits aspects of our defence.

Keep him if he wants to stay - if he doesn't then find a goalkeeper that plays like an all rounded GK that protects his box 50% of the time and protects on the line 50% of the time.

Either way - the defence needs to be improved and by selling De gea this becomes a priority than a plaster covering up the damages.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

4) that we can get someone better than the best shot stopper in the world (yeah he made a mistake, big woop), who will benefit us more
I don't think he's cost us places at all. I think we would've finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th etc without him too since Fergie retired. He isn't as good as alot of you make him out to be..

You can't be crap at commanding your area and then also have below average distribution and be called World Class like De Gea has been by the likes of yourself.

He seems to have got worse ever since he was pushed around by Mitrovic during the away game v Fulham.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
yes we can. Real Madrid and Barcelona won leagues and champions leagues with the likes of Navas and Bravo in the sticks. If the rest of the team you don't need superhuman goalkeeping. Which De Gea isn't any longer. As for the rest of his game the less said the better. The modern goalkeeping has progressed and keepers like DDG are being left behind.
Real Madrid and Barcelona had a far better team and perhaps didn't rely on needing to stop the ball going in the net so often

devips

Try Romero for the rest of the PL. He is a good shot stopper (not better), but commands his area and distributes much better.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't think he's cost us places at all. I think we would've finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th etc without him too since Fergie retired. He isn't as good as alot of you make him out to be..

You can't be crap at commanding your area and then also have below average distribution and be called World Class like De Gea has been by the likes of yourself.

He seems to have got worse ever since he was pushed around by Mitrovic during the away game v Fulham.
But we wouldn't have finished in those places. Other keepers wouldn't have made the saves he did that stopped us dropping a lot of points.
Commanding the area - meh, I can take it not being a strong point of his when he's as good as he is at the things he does well. The defence should be able to account for it.
Distribution - ok, he's got worse at it. It needs addressing. No need to go way overboard like everyone in here. He's also assisted a few assists with his kicking in the past. He needs to improve it. I'm sure we can work on a keeper's passing.

montpelier

Al I'm seeing here is:

1 - the overrating of GK distribution - DDG is perfectly adequate at this anyway, if we had a better team it would then it wouldn't be perceived to matter at all

2 - and a flaw in the plan of playing/getting a GK who isn't as good as the one we have

A-man

Try Romero for the rest of the PL. He is a good shot stopper (not better), but commands his area and distributes much better.
I don't see the point of having a such a good goalkeeper on the bench if he is not taking over when DDG isbhaving a down period. Romero has shown many time that he is up to the task. Won the Europe League for example.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Al I'm seeing here is:

1 - the overrating of GK distribution - DDG is perfectly adequate at this anyway, if we had a better team it would then it wouldn't be perceived to matter at all

2 - and a flaw in the plan of playing/getting a GK who isn't as good as the one we have
Don't think the importance of distribution is overrated at all, it's always been important and is now, more than ever arguably due to the pace of the game and possessing the ability to hit teams on the break.

On top of that, it's not that his distribution is average or anything, it's actually shockingly bad, did u not happen to notice how it directly cost us the game against Wolves (not excusing Fred's part in that) and same again against West Ham where he just threw it straight to them and cost us yet another goal.
Fair enough he made up for that with a great save from Antonio's header but, as I said, it was him who cost us the lead in the first place.

Don't get me started on Wolve's second goal in that game or the Xhaka goal at the Emirates btw, or the howler against Arsenal also at Old Trafford, or............. the list is endless tbh, but yeah, give him £500,00 a week, that will sort it out.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah he deserves to start the next game at least. Although I expect De Gea and Young to start even if both got terrible form.

Everton 4:0 Man Utd

Based Adnan

"Takes something special to beat De Gea from there"

Not anymore it doesn't. Either his heads gone or his decline has started. If he's holding out for the ridiculous money that's been reported then sell him in the summer. Been abysmal and at fault for more goals in the last month than he has in any of his seasons here including his first.

izec

As i said before, he gets beaten from distance this season quite easily. Southampton exposed it and it happens now relatively frequently

spiriticon

Really not keen on giving him a new contract at this time. Not at the wages he is wanting that's for sure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hasn't been on it for quite a while.
Still making some good saves, but a lot of these massive misjudgements like rolling it to Dalot who wasn't even looking.

And being beaten all ends up with long rangers.

Habs

If he isn't pulling off the crazy saves like he has done in the past, then he offers absolutely nothing else. Poor in commanding his box, and awful distribution

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He made huge improvements under LVG when Hoek was the GK coach. His distribution was much better as well. He was still excellent under Mourinho, but he stagnated since being coached by his best mate Emilio Alvarez. This season he has been on a steady regression.

Not saying Hoek and Alvarez are the deciding factors, but that appears to be the periods in which he noticeably improved and when he started hoofing and looking a bit limited.

He looks a bit spent. Probably needs a change of scenery. He's looking a lot more replaceable than he used to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mentally weak player.
If he was mentally weak he would never have recovered from his disastrous start here. In fact his mental strength was one of the aspects that SAF and Steele (the then GK coach) praised about him from the start.

Even mentally strong players can have dips in confidence, form and commitment. The question is whether they come out of it.

FujiVice

A distant 3rd behind Schmeichel and Van Der Sar. A fantastic shot stopper, but hasnt got the leadership qualities of either of them. The fact his performances have dropped to this level due to contract talks is incredible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.