Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Our best player is not right in the head now is he.

How many more bs stupid mistakes is he going to make this season?!

Worst season with us by far. Shame, he's always consistently good, barely make mistakes. This season though...
It's even more concerning when he starts failing at his bread and butter. Shot stopping is his specialty, fambling the second goal really concerned me yesterday

Revaulx

In earlier seasons, he had Fellaini and Valencia for hoofing the ball to. Now he doesn't have that luxury.
True, but he only started hoofing it some time after Jose started. This notion that his distribution has always been terrible is completely wrong.

rpitchfo

His distribution is frankly woeful, it shouldn’t be an issue but for a team so poor on the ball we end up taking it back so often that it’s exposed more than it should be. Also he can’t pass or handle any pressure on the ball. To be fair we couldn’t trust our defenders to receive the balls in those areas anyway so kicking the ball to touch is probably playing the percentages.

He just doesn’t sweep either which means our CBS are pushed back slightly further than would be ideal. This agin creates too much space and puts pressure on our midfield.

He still doesn’t command much of a presence, lacking the leadership from the back we have missed since VDG

Mistakes are creeping into his game and he looks to be lacking confidence at the moment.

He’s still a cracking shot stopper at times though and lightening fast when he needs to be.

All things considered, given how difficult it can be to be find a goalkeeper you don’t have to worry about too often replacing him should not be a priority, but it isn’t unthinkable as it once was.

flappyjay

I'm serious, any good keeper could've played for us in that period and had us finish above the likes of Southampton..
No there are times we could have finished even worse than we did it wasn't for him saving us. He has been poor but don't rewrite history, he was voted player of the season numerous times for a reason.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No there are times we could have finished even worse than we did it wasn't for him saving us. He has been poor but don't rewrite history, he was voted player of the season numerous times for a reason.
Which season could we have finished worse?

Trizy

Time to cash in? He's been horrible this season and has been banging on about Madrid for about 4 years now.

Oblak in and De Gea out would probably end cost neutral apart from not having to give Oblak the €250k De Gea is on, not to mention the €350k he wants!

Jacob

VDS was the dream :drool: Nobody commanded more respect in the box than him. Utter no-nonsense professional as well, unlike our Lingard, Pogba, Martial etc.

Renegade

This is why players aren’t loyal to clubs and fans. Drop in form after years of fantastic service and it’s sell, cash in and complete re writing history.

He has been awful lately. His actually now performing like the rest of his teammates have for the last 5 years.

Trizy

Funny how fans complain about loyalty. But when a player has a patch of poor form, fans want to get rid. Loyalty doesn’t go both ways it seems. Ridiculous.
Where does loyalty of a fan base or club get us? Ashley fecking Young starting as captain.

Clubs should be ran like Madrid. You're declining or not good enough then time to cut them lose.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Give over, if there's anything to be learnt over the past few years, the most pressurising goalkeeping job in the world is at United considering the cross that DDG has in front of him. Just because he was part of an under performing Spanish squad in the past 2 world cups is not his fault.

Anyway I wouldn't take the opinion of a Real Madrid fan no offence, you haven't exactly treated your best ever player with much respect over the years.
Ww
I haven't got much to base this on but I believe we should sack Emiliano Alvarez the GK coach at the end of the season. He's DDG pal and pretty much acts like one of the players when he's with the Spanish lot.

I can't believe he is coaching DDG as well as he can with how tight and jokey the appear to be. This has been DDG's worse season since his first year here. He has got worse in every single aspect of goalkeeping this season. His flaws such as coming off his line and playing out from the back have got even worse when you expect him to improve on them.

Even the best need top class coaching. Bring back Frans Hoek or any top class coach and get rid of Alvarez.
Now its the goal keeping coach's fault .

I genuinely don't get why people avoid criticising De Gea, anyone else has a bad game and they get roasted.
Even if you do think he's the best keeper in the world (personally I don't and never have) it's still okay to admit that he's been horrendous this season.

Paul_Scholes18

Which season could we have finished worse?
Probably the first season under LVG. We played terrible for so long, but grinded out some points and De gea helped us with that.

Liverpool and Spurs didn't impress either, but could have ended ahead of us without De Gea.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's won the world cup, the champions league, and dozens of domestic titles. What could possibly top his trophy haul? A charitable personality?
I meant the contributions he made to winning these titles, and to the general level his teams played at regardless of titles. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but I thought you said his status primarily relies on team success, not his individual performance level.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Barely a mention of how bad he was last night in the media.

Pogba (who admittedly was poor) and now Ole's tactics are to blame apparently.

I seriously doubt one of Ole's tactics was to tell his keeper to let the ball roll under him.

Last edited:

Trizy

A whole season of mistake after mistake doesn't count as a bad patch, it's more concerning than that.

If this was Lukaku missing sitter after sitter then he'd be getting slated and dropped not hailed as the best striker in the world.

What's the difference?
Agreed.

Renegade

A whole season of mistake after mistake doesn't count as a bad patch, it's more concerning than that.

If this was Lukaku missing sitter after sitter then he'd be getting slated and dropped not hailed as the best striker in the world.

What's the difference?
Difference being Lukaku wasn’t our best performer for 4/5 years straight.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Funny how fans complain about loyalty. But when a player has a patch of poor form, fans want to get rid. Loyalty doesn’t go both ways it seems. Ridiculous.

If this was Lukaku missing sitter after sitter then he'd be getting slated and dropped not hailed as the best striker in the world

What's the difference?

JoaquinJoaquin

Time to cash in? He's been horrible this season and has been banging on about Madrid for about 4 years now.

Oblak in and De Gea out would probably end cost neutral apart from not having to give Oblak the €250k De Gea is on, not to mention the €350k he wants!
I don't think Oblak would come here honestly, unless he was given something like £250k per week which he couldn't refuse. Problem we will have all Summer now once we miss out on CL.

Where does loyalty of a fan base or club get us? Ashley fecking Young starting as captain.

Clubs should be ran like Madrid. You're declining or not good enough then time to cut them lose.
I agree, the club and we as fans are too soft only we accept this foolishness.

Trizy

I agree, the club and we as fans are too soft only we accept this foolishness.
We just have this romance in us since the class of 92. Romance is a fairy tale in football, time to get over it and move on as a club.

Devil81

This going to sound a tad controversial but given the advances in the modern game I'm actually finding part of De Gea's game limited. He can't play the ball with his feet like other keepers and top level teams seem to all have keepers capable of playing out from the back.

Not sure if his head is elsewhere either, he's been awful for Spain and in a large number of games over the last twelve months.

Devil81

Pogba (who admittedly was poor) and now Ole's tactics are to blame.

I seriously doubt one of Ole's tactics was to tell his keeper to let the ball roll under him.

Killed the game for us, up until that point we had something to play for 2-1 was possible. 3-2 was impossible and it drained the life out of the team and the fans.

De Gea was more to blame then anyone last night.

Revaulx

Ww

Now its the goal keeping coach's fault .

I genuinely don't get why people avoid criticising De Gea, anyone else has a bad game and they get roasted.
Even if you do think he's the best keeper in the world (personally I don't and never have) it's still okay to admit that he's been horrendous this season.
So it’s unreasonable to question why he’s on such a decline?

Coxy

We finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd in the last 5 seasons with him between the posts. If you don't think a good keeper couldn't replicate that, then we'll agree to disagree..
A good keeper couldn’t replicate that no. We would have finished lower.

De Gea saved so many points for us in seasons gone by. A keeper who isn’t as good as he is - wouldn’t have saved those points.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
VDS was the dream :drool: Nobody commanded more respect in the box than him. Utter no-nonsense professional as well, unlike our Lingard, Pogba, Martial etc.
Even he could have done better in the CL finals against Barcelona.

Revaulx

Bloody hell. His form is currently terrible, and has arguably been in decline for a couple of years. Pointing this out, or speculating why it’s happened, is perfectly reasonable. Arguing that he wasn’t brilliant for us for five or six years is completely mental.

Stacks

for those who want De Gea gone, please visit https://scores.nbcsports.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=107
He has faced the 4th highest amount of shots in the EPL, double the amount of Alisson, and is in the top 5 save percentage, only 6% less than Alisson. 107 saves this season for De Gea compared with 65 for Alisson. People think he has had a quite season but he has been worked!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
for those who want De Gea gone, please visit https://scores.nbcsports.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=107
He has faced the 4th highest amount of shots in the EPL, double the amount of Alisson, and is in the top 5 save percentage, only 6% less than Alisson. 107 saves this season for De Gea compared with 65 for Alisson. People think he has had a quite season but he has been worked!
Don’t think his shot stopping is in question despite last nights debacle.

He’s a world class shot stopper but his efforts at the top level aren’t good enough. Whether it’s the World Cup for Spain or it’s the champions league knockouts for us.

Is it just coincidence he made similar errors in the top two tournaments in the world? Or flapping at a simple catch in the dying minutes against PSG?

Withnail

He was by far the best goalkeeper in the league last year according to the goals conceded vs xG against.

United conceded only 25 goals vs an expected goals against figure of 47.
He's certainly having a poor season in comparison to his own ridiculous standards but a poor season for Dave isn't that bad when compared to other keepers.

Let's face it we weren't going to win the champions league and we got further than expected.
We're better off out of it so we can concentrate on the league, getting into the CL places so we can improve the squad and go again next year.

In relation to De Geas distribution, I'd echo what others have said in that it used to be excellent and declined under Mourinho as he was clearly told to hoof it at every opportunity.

Although the quality of our back 4 has to come into this. I didn't feel Young, Smalling, Jones or and out of position Lindelhof seemed all that up for taking short passes and building from the back.

De Gea obviously lost focus and if it's because of the contract malarkey I'd put the blame on Woodward.

According to a number of journalists Gea or his agent went to United looking to sign a new contract a couple of years ago and wasn't looking for exorbitant wages.
The club didn't want to know and let his contract run down.

The situation has been mismanaged to the point where it's become a problem.

I believe he's our best option, that what he's currently going through is a blip and don't believe selling him to spend 60-80m on a possibly inferior replacement is the way to go.

Reactions: berbatrick

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Been saying for a while that hes been poor but our fans have always been super sensitive and defensive about De Gea.

I voiced my opinion that NO goalkeeper is worth the amount of money David was reportedly asking for, not even the best imo.

Hope his form returns and I dont agree with dropping him yet.

Paul_Scholes18

Many of us wanted him dropped after the Arsenal game and a very poor run of form. Now it turned out even worse.
Logically Romero deserves to play right now. I am not a big fan of him, but at least he got more to win and could raise his game.

I think people having overrated De Gea for some time might have got into his head in a bad way. Then once the error comes he has struggled to mentally recover.
Hopefully if people actually slate and turn against him a bit it can fire him up to get back into form.
Although just like media and people did with Rooney I think people are too nice with him based on past performances and it might do more harm than good.

To drop De Gea at least for Everton makes sense. If he gets fired up over it he can play against City. At least half our supporters would enjoy him giving goals away to stop Liverpool anyway.

Shark

@NotShark
De Gea's reputation is preceding him at the moment but that will only last so long if his current form continues. What I will say though, is that we shouldn't ignore the fact that our entire defense is gash and if it wasn't let get to this atrocious point, maybe De Gea could be bailed out for once, instead of him always having to bail out the clowns standing in front of him.

Stacks

Don’t think his shot stopping is in question despite last nights debacle.

He’s a world class shot stopper but his efforts at the top level aren’t good enough. Whether it’s the World Cup for Spain or it’s the champions league knockouts for us.

Is it just coincidence he made similar errors in the top two tournaments in the world? Or flapping at a simple catch in the dying minutes against PSG?
you have picked out 2 tournaments and he has been involved in many more and performed admirably

Member 115509

Something is quite clearly up with him just now, United either need to get together with him and sort it out or sell him.
I don't say that lightly, he has been unbelievable for United for a number of years, no question. But if he isn't happy at OT then something needs to be done, hopefully it can be sorted out for his and United's benefit.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd in the last 5 seasons with him in goals. We could've had Tom Heaton in goal in that period and still easily replicated those league finishes..
Just as I thought it couldn’t get worse in here. This is one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on the caf.

Canagel

It's his name. I noticed the fans are strangely more protective of DDG because of his name and nothing to do with current performance. Other players have been hammered without making mistakes of this extent.

Schneckerl

Yeah, only the English media. He gets plenty in Spain.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Surely last night at least opens the debate that we could do better in the goal-keeping department rather than just deluding ourselves that it's not a problem.

If so, who's out there.
For me, it's Oblak all day long.

Outsiders are Rui Patricio and Kasper Schmeichel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.