Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

I’m not going to have a go at him, he saved our bacon so many times during the 2014-2018 years. Was pretty much the only reliable player in the squad.
He’s only human and it’s clear his head and heart isn’t in it anymore. I guess being the best goalkeeper In the world for three years and basically having nothing to show for it in terms of competing at the top level and winning trophies takes it toll. Especially when your team mates are a bunch of cnuts.

The only way to convice him to stay is to give him obscene wages and I don’t think we should do that. He’s served us well and we should let him go if that’s what he wants.

KrasHammerhand

A distant 3rd behind Schmeichel and Van Der Sar. A fantastic shot stopper, but hasnt got the leadership qualities of either of them. The fact his performances have dropped to this level due to contract talks is incredible to me.
You are making a supposition that is form has dipped based on his contract. The defence is more porous than at anytime in the last half dozen years, facing a higher amount of high quality shots is going to lead to more goals.

Yes, he did let in a horrible goal against Barca, but is still making spectacular saves. What is in front of him is a huge part of this drop.

Steven-UK

A distant 3rd behind Schmeichel and Van Der Sar. A fantastic shot stopper, but hasnt got the leadership qualities of either of them. The fact his performances have dropped to this level due to contract talks is incredible to me.
Did you ever watch Schmeichel? he made many mistakes.

DDG has been our best player for the last 7 years (the only genuine world class player we have had), dealing with far more than he should have been; due to absolutely poor defenders, Smalling, Jones, and the other dross, and it is like any area of life, if you get smacked in the face often enough, then the bruises get deeper and start having an effect.

He deserves some slack for saving our skins many, many times over the years.

Sure, the contract situation 'could' very well be affecting him (shouldn't be, obviously), but put yourself in his shoes for a minute, and see the future from his perspective. You'd be having doubts yourself, as this team/club is going nowhere fast.

Benefit of the doubt needs to be given here, I feel.

el3mel

Ole should have grown the pair and dropped him. Great the past years but he has become as spineless as the rest. LVG was right in dropping the hell out of him when he was negotiating with Madrid. Ole should have done the same and dropped him for Romero a long time ago.

FujiVice

You are making a supposition that is form has dipped based on his contract. The defence is more porous than at anytime in the last half dozen years, facing a higher amount of high quality shots is going to lead to more goals.

Yes, he did let in a horrible goal against Barca, but is still making spectacular saves. What is in front of him is a huge part of this drop.
Schmeichels form always tended to be better without a good defense in front of him. That's what is called "stepping up." He was the best player in the Premiership in 96, during a time when we had Bruce and Pallister injured more often than not.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Sell and reinvest. The rumours and uncertainty never go away with him. United need a proper team on the pitch, not players constantly linked/flirting with moves away.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If he was mentally weak he would never have recovered from his disastrous start here. In fact his mental strength was one of the aspects that SAF and Steele (the then GK coach) praised about him from the start.

Even mentally strong players can have dips in confidence, form and commitment. The question is whether they come out of it.
Young players tend to be brave and throw caution out of the window. I just don't think he has what it takes to be all time greats.

clarkydaz

it cant be just about money, 500k doesn't suddenly make him play better than this. He is at a crossroads whether he thinks its worth staying anymore

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It’s almost as if he’s doing stuff on purpose. He can’t be, but he’s done more mad shit in the past 3 months than he has in his whole United career.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Get rid. He’s part of the virus with Pogba.
:lol: for feck sake. How is De Gea ‘part of the virus’? He’s nothing like Pogba in that sense. When does he ever fall out with his team or staff? I’d keep him no shadow of a doubt. This place is a disgrace when we lose.

Acole9

Outstanding
I used to think just give him what he wants just to keep here but enough is enough now. His form has dipped regardless what the apologists say. I'd like to see him benched against City.

He seems more interested in cuddling his fellow countryman and anyone that's ever set foot in Spain.

redshaw

Saved us so many times but his future plans are affecting him.

I don't agree with the wage demands if true but don't want to put the boot in on him. He's been very good and we as a club have really failed in everything.

m1tch

Obviously he has to go this summer if we can't get him on a new deal. He's one of our few sellable assets that could fund the much needed rebuild.

Just to highlight what a poor state we're in, despite his drop off in performances he's probably still favourite for our POTY.

Giggsyking

Spot on mate, words don't mean much.
You David are one of our problems, I cant wait to see you leave this club. I cant believe people compared this goalkeeper to Peter and VDS, I wonder what were they smoking?

The United

I wonder if he has an eye sight problem now. I remember Spur tried to shoot from out of the box so many times because they thought he was weak from distance in his first season.

Strangely, it is becoming a concern at his 7th season.

kundalini

It is up to the manager to drop a completely out of form player. Fortunate to start this game then demonstrates precisely why he should have been dropped, by failing to save Sigurdsson's long range shot.

Did well to prevent a corner going straight in.

Needs the summer to get his head together, make a decision on whether he wants to stay at United. The whole contract situation is embarrassing for him, given his form this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Did you ever watch Schmeichel? he made many mistakes.

DDG has been our best player for the last 7 years (the only genuine world class player we have had), dealing with far more than he should have been; due to absolutely poor defenders, Smalling, Jones, and the other dross, and it is like any area of life, if you get smacked in the face often enough, then the bruises get deeper and start having an effect.

He deserves some slack for saving our skins many, many times over the years.

Sure, the contract situation 'could' very well be affecting him (shouldn't be, obviously), but put yourself in his shoes for a minute, and see the future from his perspective. You'd be having doubts yourself, as this team/club is going nowhere fast.

Benefit of the doubt needs to be given here, I feel.
I don't recall Schmeichel ever making a blunder in a big game like De Gea has against Palace in the cup final, Sevilla last season and Barca this season in both legs. Maybe I'm wrong and you can correct me. De Gea has even been crap for his NT team Spain, who are a much better team than the Danish NT Schmeichel played for.

C'est Moi Cantona

Still happy to cut him more slack than most, he's saved us so many points before, but what worries me more is we're seeing a decline, not a distraction, as having his head turned, or wanting more money has never effected his play like this before.

I'd be sad if he went, but sure as hell hope we don't offer him some Sanchez style deal to stay.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd sell him, and either give Henderson a chance or try and sign Onana from Ajax. Onana is only 23 but his distribution is top notch and he has lightening reflexes..

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What I find worrying is that Everton clearly played today to target his weaknesses(set pieces in his area), and scored at least one goal from it. That happened last time around 7 or 8 years ago and it's amazing that he hasn't improved one bit in that department.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I don't recall Schmeichel ever making a blunder in a big game like De Gea has against Palace in the cup final, Sevilla last season and Barca this season in both legs. Maybe I'm wrong and you can correct me. De Gea has even been crap for his NT team Spain, who are a much better team than the Danish NT Schmeichel played for.
A massive howler in the biggest game of David Moyes's stint also, the league Cup semi-final against Sunderland, we were seconds away from the final and then lost in extra time. (to be fair I actually comend him on that one if it contributed to that clown going).

Tbh, this has been going on for years, and the worrying thing is that his shot stopping isn't even the main problem for me.
It's his alertness in coming out of his line, his coming out for crosses and his distribution that are his weaknesses IMO.
So much so that he cannot possibly be considered as the 'best keeper in the world' as so many claim.

As I said, ive given up trying to point out the blatantly obvious, it's a waste of time, u just hear the same old excuses being made every time for him.

Although I can't help being infuriated everytime I the hear the classic line of "u just don't expect that kind of error from De Gea".
Ive even been hearing it today despite what happened against Barca, and Wolves and Arsenal .....

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
I'd sell him, and either give Henderson a chance or try and sign Onana from Ajax. Onana is only 23 but his distribution is top notch and he has lightening reflexes..
Same. I don't think he's going to improve past this point, can only expect more errors moving forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A massive howler in the biggest game of David Moyes's stint also, the league Cup semi-final against Sunderland, we were seconds away from the final and then lost in extra time. (to be fair I actually comend him on that one if it contributed to that clown going).

Tbh, this has been going on for years, and the worrying thing is that is shot stopping isn't even the main problem for me.
It's his alertness in coming out of his line, his coming out for crosses and his distribution that are his weaknesses IMO.
So much so that he cannot possibly be considered as the 'best keeper in the world' as so many claim.

As I said, ive given up trying to point out the blatantly obvious, it's a waste of time, u just hear the same old excuses being made every time for him.

Although I can't help being infuriated everytime I the hear the classic line of "u just don't expect that kind of error from De Gea".
Ive even been hearing it today despite what happened against Barca, and Wolves and Arsenal .....
I'm on the same page as you for sure. If Ole wants to play out from the back then he's got to get players that fit that way of playing. The game actually demands it now and De Gea isn't worth the £480k a week he's asking.

Champagne Football

Goalkeepers do not get Neymar/Messi level wages. Caving in to his demands would create another Alexis Sanchez scenario.

We could bring in Samir Handanovič as a stop-gap for a couple of seasons on a 3rd of the wages and I don't think we'd miss De Gea too much. Let him go to PSG or Madrid if he is pricing us out of a deal.

United Hobbit

I really can't work out what has happened with him, a Liverpool fan I know described Mignolet as being able to make the difficult stuff look easy but messes up the easy stuff.

I'm in no way saying De Gea is as bad as Mignolet but its starting to feel like that analysis could be linked to him at times. He makes absolutely fantastic saves that look incredible, bailing us out a hole but then seems to just not react to simple stuff and ends up conceding a goal. Did the world cup disaster with Spain maybe affect him psychologically? I doubt the new contract situation is helping but then he should be putting in his usual fantastic performances to earn that contract or even attract a new club.

I wouldn't have thought his age will be a factor however since someone said how slow he is to start an attack I can't help but notice that, I think it doesn't help our players lack intelligence and awareness so when he tries to pass out from the back and launch a quicker attack the players lack awareness and often play him back into trouble, not helping his confidence. I think the playing out from the back is becoming the norm however his older fashioned style of goalkeeping sometimes looks safer, Allisson for example looks like he could end up costing them a goal it needs to be a mix of the two. Also at his age he has been playing the older fashioned way for most of his career is he able to learn to adapt to a new way of playing?

I think our backline is dodgy as well which doesn't help at all and he probably doesn't trust them- Allisson has that security in front of him, De Gea has headless chickens.

Also his standards the last few seasons have been so high is he just looking poor by his standards? I agree he has cost us some of the goals this season but who is available that is better? I think we do have one of the best back up goalkeepers with Romero, but do we want to risk his confidence by throwing him into that? Would it help De Gea to be taken out of the spotlight for a bit or will if it is a confidence issue affect him more?
He does come across as one of the more professional players in the club and has stuck with us when he could have been winning leagues elsewhere, so I don't think he's downed tools however even if it's still slightly messing with his head about his next move its going to affect his performances

We owe a lot to Dea Gea for saving us so many times over the years, the thing more experienced people at the club than us need to find out is the reason for the poor form then decide based on that where they go from here.

PepsiCola

Imagine how much worse he'll be at Madrid.

They'll scrutinise every detail of his game there and he'll crumble under the pressure.

Can't wait to see it.

Paul_Scholes18

It keeps getting worse and worse. It feels like he can't do anything right now. Ole needs to take some blame here. Just playing him all games and not doing anything about it has cost our season.

He should have talked with him about it and maybe dropped him for a game or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.