Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

We are unlikely to ever have a great defence with him in goal. His tendency to stay in his line just encourages the opposition to go big. Every corner against us seems to go bang in the six-yard box, and those are incredibly hard to defend without the help the goalie.

If De Gea could be a bit more commanding, the corner takers would at least try to put some corners away from the keeper's range. We could as well place a traffic cone on the goal line. It's going to block some shots.

Rossa

I don’t know if it’s people thinking they know football because they play a video game all the time or people just haven’t played football at a decently high level. The absurdity of blaming DDG for not getting to the cross before the flick shows both, but the latter, mostly.
Right you are. Ddg can be slow to get off his line, but he didn’t do anything wrong here.

Rossa

We are unlikely to ever have a great defence with him in goal. His tendency to stay in his line just encourages the opposition to go big. Every corner against us seems to go bang in the six-yard box, and those are incredibly hard to defend without the help the goalie.

If De Gea could be a bit more commanding, the corner takers would at least try to put some corners away from the keeper's range. We could as well place a traffic cone on the goal line. It's going to block some shots.
on a general basis I agree, but nothibg he could have done today.

Based Adnan

Yes, and it’s a flick on the nesr post. Going for that would completely leave him in no man’d land or standing on his nesr post, which a goalie should never do. So yes, ever played as a goalie?
The fact you think that has far too much speed when it's floated in says it all

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Far too much speed?
You’re an absolute whopper if you think De Gea should be coming out for that. There is absolutely not a chance in hell he’s getting to that with all of them bodies in from of him. Have a look at it frame by frame and see where Southampton heads the ball.
Absolutely nothing wrong with his goalkeeping apart from so so distribution today.

arnie_ni

The ball was flicked on at the corner takers side of the near post, not a keeper in the world makes that corner.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Right you are. Ddg can be slow to get off his line, but he didn’t do anything wrong here.
He’s decidedly not a top keeper when it comes to dealing with crosses & that is a true hinderance at times, but his timidity was not the fault today. It would have been a catastrophic error to try to have come out to collect this cross.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is he really getting blamed for the goal? :lol:

Rossa

The fact you think that has far too much speed when it's floated in says it all
Right then. It’s on the near post - struck rather hard and definetely not floated. Only way he could reach it is by positioning himself at the near post, which is completely wrong for any goalie. I agree that he is often too rooted to his line, but for the goal he could do nothing.

Rossa

He’s decidedly not a top keeper when it comes to dealing with crosses & that is a true hinderance at times, but his timidity was not the fault today. It would have been a catastrophic error to try to have come out to collect this cross.
It’s a weakness, but which modern goalies are good at it? Schmeichel was majestic, but most others are very hit and miss. Ederson is often all over the place. He’s probably the only one I csn think of crazy enough tryibg to carch such a cross - he would fail though.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was not at fault for the goals.
Technically no it's not his fault. It wont show up as one of his many mistakes. However, a proper keeper would be all over that. It's an inswinger into his 6 yard box 3 yards from him, yet he's planted on his goal line. You could put me in goal for the last play of the game and we win that match

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Look at where the ball was flicked on, it’s to the near side of the near post. Look at how many people are in the way. Look at the curve of the cross. Look at the pace. To think the keeper is at fault, no matter who the keeper is, shows utter ignorance about the game.
What exactly is his plan though when a decent cross is put in?

If he's never going to come for it fair enough (baffling how he gets away with it but anyway) but at least make some sort of effort to try and prevent a goal instead of just watching the ball go past.

I've said this a million times now but he may as well not be there when a cross comes in, he literally just stands there day dreaming.

If you honestly can't see how much this is hurting our defence then you're showing serious levels of ignorance yourself.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've played in goal my whole life. Yes, he should have been out on that. It's an inswinger inside his 6 that is 3 yards from him. He should be commanding his area. Guaranteed it was part of their plan to whip inswingers inside the 6 on corners because they know De Gea won't be commanding and come and punch...

Mindhunter

You are completely mistaken in this. He had no legitimate chance for the cross. There’s not one quality keeper in the world who could have collected or punched that cross away before the near post flick. To try to come out to do so would have been an egregious error on his part, this goal is on the outfielders.
Well you seem to be confusing your opinions with facts and blanket statements. To claim that I am completely mistaken and no keeper in the world would have gotten near that is frankly unsubstantiated.

Also what do you mean by egregious error? What should he have done instead? Stood like a mute spectator on the goal-line while things happened around him? Oh, he actually did exactly that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s a weakness, but which modern goalies are good at it? Schmeichel was majestic, but most others are very hit and miss. Ederson is often all over the place. He’s probably the only one I csn think of crazy enough tryibg to carch such a cross - he would fail though.
It’s also a bit of a shift of philosophy. At the end of the day, it’s better for a keeper to be a bit more rooted than to be all over the place. I would like him to command his goal box a bit better, but his reflexes help to make up for his deficiencies in this area.

arnie_ni

Technically no it's not his fault. It wont show up as one of his many mistakes. However, a proper keeper would be all over that. It's an inswinger into his 6 yard box 3 yards from him, yet he's planted on his goal line. You could put me in goal for the last play of the game and we win that match
Did it even reach the 6 yard box? The front post header wasnt a postion a keeper could get to.

If it just floated all the way in then yes, but the guy won a header outside the near post

SirScholes

Right then. It’s on the near post - struck rather hard and definetely not floated. Only way he could reach it is by positioning himself at the near post, which is completely wrong for any goalie. I agree that he is often too rooted to his line, but for the goal he could do nothing.
Exactly

I remember David James trying to rush his near post and climb over everyone only for Pallister to glance it in

that’s what these posters are saying de gea should of done

apparently he put on 10st in the last 3 days and can bulldoze 4 players out the way and catch the ball

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well you seem to be confusing your opinions with facts and blanket statements. To claim that I am completely mistaken and no keeper in the world would have gotten near that is frankly unsubstantiated.

Also what do you mean by egregious error? What should he have done instead? Stood like a mute spectator on the goal-line while things happened around him? Oh, he actually did exactly that.
Brother, you’re just showing your ignorance here. A keeper claims that ball when he is confident he can get to it. Look at the crowd where the ball was flicked; even a keeper with DDG’s height & wingspan would have had difficulty getting to it in that timeframe. If the ball had floated far post, then it’s on DDG. The ball was flicked near side of the near post. No keeper in his right mind commits to that.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I don’t know if it’s people thinking they know football because they play a video game all the time or people just haven’t played football at a decently high level. The absurdity of blaming DDG for not getting to the cross before the flick shows both, but the latter, mostly.
If it was a one off I would agree but this is a constant and is going to keep costing us until he's dropped.

Mindhunter

Last goal isn't on him, but that first one he has to take some blame
No one is claiming that he is at fault. However he should have come out of his line and at least tried to punch it. Who knows maybe someone would have fouled him?

I can't digest him just standing there and waiting for things to happen when the ball is played so close to him. I have never criticized him before on these forums but I guess this is what we are going to get from him. He will never be a better goalkeeper and his past is behind him which is sad because GKs typically maintain their level longer than outfield players.

We need to replace him if we have to put together any semblance of a solid defense.

Rossa

I've played in goal my whole life. Yes, he should have been out on that. It's an inswinger inside his 6 that is 3 yards from him. He should be commanding his area. Guaranteed it was part of their plan to whip inswingers inside the 6 on corners because they know De Gea won't be commanding and come and punch...
Then you know his positioning should stsrt closer to his far post, and thus it’s bot close to three yards as you say. He also would have to take a position further from his line, which is also wrong for an inswinger corner.
We have to continue disagreeing here. Many times concerning ddg I would agree, but not for this one.

el3mel

That game shows it all I guess. Both his strong points and weak ones.

Saved an amazing shot that kept us in the game then fecked it up in the corner and decided to stay on his line.

Rossa

Exactly

I remember David James trying to rush his near post and climb over everyone only for Pallister to glance it in

that’s what these posters are saying de gea should of done

apparently he put on 10st in the last 3 days and can bulldoze 4 players out the way and catch the ball
Pretty much this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That game shows it all I guess. Both his strong points and weak ones.

Saved an amazing shot that kept us in the game then fecked it up in the corner and decided to stay on his line.
Dont forget his piss poor distribution

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What exactly is his plan though when a decent cross is put in?

If he's never going to come for it fair enough (baffling how he gets away with it but anyway) but at least make some sort of effort to try and prevent a goal instead of just watching the ball go past.

I've said this a million times now but he may as well not be there when a cross comes in, he literally just stands there day dreaming.

If you honestly can't see how much this is hurting our defence then you're showing serious levels of ignorance yourself.
This was not a cross a keeper can claim easily. The whole issue is where the ball was flicked, it’s to the near side of the fecking near post. If you think that it should be in a top GK’s repertoire to attempt a save like that, you are showing you know nothing of the position at a high level & need to stop embarrassing yourself. DDG is not a good cross claiming keeper, there’s no debate there. He doesn’t have the physique for it, he misjudged mid goal or far post ball flights, & he punches incorrectly, but he’s not at fault for a near post flick over six yards away from him.

Welbeckham

I am very critical of De Gea and his badly limited goalkeeping, but that equalizer is hardly something I could fault him for.

But I agree with many posters here, I think he is not mentally and physically strong enough to command a large defensive area, he always sticks to his line. And his distribution is below average. Thus he often leaves some extra work for our defenders which is a surprisingly big factor on the top level.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The sheer ignorance of the experts on here thinking he could have claimed that cross before the near post-extended flick is just shocking.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree with this. And I also played in goal. It’s just not a good look for a keeper when a corner bounces in the middle of the goal, 3 yards out.

Goal aside, Ward-Prowse must have dropped half a dozen corners on that same spot and DDG never once got a glove on the ball. That’s not good at all. It’s always been a flaw in his game, so it’s not exactly a huge surprise to concede like that either. Brilliant save a few minutes earlier, mind you.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Did it even reach the 6 yard box? The front post header wasnt a postion a keeper could get to.

If it just floated all the way in then yes, but the guy won a header outside the near post
Yes it did reach the 6. It was front post about 3 yards out. He should have been all over it

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Dont forget his piss poor distribution
He’s far more at fault for putting Pogba in a less than quality position with his distribution before the first goal than he was on the cross. Yes, Pogba fecked that up colossally, but why put your teammate into a potentially disadvantageous position smack on the 18 in the middle of the pitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.